Home
Preview
NBA Live 13 Preview

I recently got the chance to see NBA Live 13 in action and while the results weren't the greatest to be sure, there were some helpful tidbits of information you could gather from my initial viewing. The NBA Live 13 team showed us an early pre-alpha version of the game, which according to the Developers,  was 60% complete -- so it was a quite early version of the game which probably won't represent the final product, at least that's the theory I'm working with for now.

The main focus behind NBA Live 13 are three key building blocks which the entire game is being built around for the future: gameplay, presentation, and online.

NBA Live 13 is trying to give the user as much control as possible, with the ability to break out of any animation at any time. The team showed off a triple threat animation and a pass out of a jumper, but it wasn't anything jaw dropping to be sure. Actually, the dunks didn't look bad, but the speed of the moves and the players seemed too fast to me (more on that later).

In the post game, offensive and defensive players are independent of each other, so you will see a variety of animations down low between both players. I wish they would have showed some better examples. Instead, they showed a couple of post game moves with Durant guarding LeBron in the paint. They both banged a little and Bron branched out of it and shot a turnaround jump shot.

The animations looked robotic and not very good at all in the demo. While the overall graphics package looks pretty solid sans-animations, if the animations aren't there then the whole package falls apart quickly. It's entirely possible that this is due to the early build of the game, but what we were shown wasn't up to snuff to be sure.

In the next example, 'Bron does a drop step and the users controller starts to rumble, depending on how hard Durant is trying to push Bron away from the bucket. The controller actually rumbles more if the contact becomes more physical. When timed right, the user will be able to get the drop step and get to the rim. This animation looked a little better and the fingers actually wrapped around the rim on the dunk. Still, nothing really mind blowing here but it is what it is.

While the team showed the offensive moves, they didn't show how the defense can actually defend it. It seemed more offensive friendly, but they did say the defense has a counter for every offensive move and vice versa. Just found it strange, they didn't show any examples of it. Perhaps that is coming later?

Another new feature in Live 13 is a new partnership between EA Sports and Synergy, the official data provider to the NBA. They track all player moves and shots in a database and gives EA access to that database. The AI plays to those strengths and weaknesses, but will also learn from experiences in the game.

They showed some real life footage between the Bulls and Hornets. The footage showed how a certain play the Bulls ran, had a second option if a team defended the first, and the team tended to indicate this dynamic and realistic play depth would make it's way into the game in some form. I found it odd that they showed real life footage, instead of showing it in the game which may indicate the feature isn't fully finished just yet. The Live 13 guys claim they have the tech to make it happen, but that is about as far as they talked about it at this juncture.

ESPN is integrated with the game, so the graphics and transitions are ESPN broadcast quality. When showing the players and teams warm up, it uses the same camera angles ESPN uses during an actual game, and it will be different, depending on arena. Mo-caps were used during pre-game, substitutions, halftime and postgame routines.

Player authenticity was important to the team, as they actually spent a lot of time on each player's likeness. All player accessories have been included, as well as signature emotions from some of the top athletes, however no names were given as to which players got the extra treatment.

Online gaming is another one of the building blocks mentioned by the team and is being treated as very important. NBA LIve 13 will rely on the EA servers to keep everything going smoothly with the plan to keep user experiences fresh with new updates all season long.

Jeff Van Gundy and Mike Breen lead the way with their commentary in the game. While it was difficult to hear, because of some audio issues with the build we were shown, from what I did hear, it seemed fine, at least during the intros. During gameplay, the volume was turned down and I couldn't really hear anything.

During the gameplay, I noticed no off the ball player movement. I mean none. But the Developers stated they simply wanted to show off the passing, so plays were not being run. Another head scratcher to me as this made the game look a little ridiculous. They showed a signature shot from LeBron James, but it didn't look very natural to me at all. In fact, many of the animations seemed to skip frames, it just wasn't fluid. While zooming into player heads, facial hair and tattoos looked great, the gameplay was simply just not worth showing at this time. It's possible/likely this will be cleaned up before launch, but it's worth noting we simply weren't shown much to impress us on the gameplay just yet.

The game seemed too fast. Actually, it looked more arcady to me than sim. Players moved too fast and the developers stated there were no plans at this time to add a speed slider. That is not a good sign for sure. They are implementing a collision system, but they didn't show it at all. It almost seemed like they were more interested in showing off the graphics than actual gameplay.  I came away disappointed as Live 13 was actually my most anticipated game to see coming into E3. The team admitted there were some bugs within the build they displayed, but also claim the foundation has been set and the bugs we saw will be fixed.

Hopefully I get to see a more recent build in the coming months to get a more accurate preview. For now I just have to call it how I see it and the game simply wasn't ready for prime time in my initial viewing. We'll see how it shapes up in the coming months.

NBA Live 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 TreyIM2 @ 06/05/12 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLESFAN10
Im a fan of both just wanted 2 let u kno

But NBA LIVE 13 is gunna be like MADDEN 13 .... EVERYBODY gunna be doubting them then they gone start talking about ALL the features then WATCH this forum CHANGE

Just like Madden .... iM A FIRM BELIEVER IN NBA LIVE 13
I really, really you're right. It crossed my mind that they could pull a Madden, giving clips that didn't show off the new tech, early on. They did say some sort of animation tech for Live 13, so, who knows. I want this game to be good

# 102 coolcras7 @ 06/05/12 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTiCe_O
I'm starting to think it was just the build that Steve saw, because this interview makes it seem like all the fundamentals are going to be there come launch (rebounding, passing, movement, etc.). I think they were there to show off passing and that's what they did.

This video left a better impression than the preview Steve wrote, but i know OS keeps it real, and EA has to say good stuff. So its up until we see gameplay.
You mean a developer whose job it is to say positive things about a game is saying positive things about a game, huh ? who to believe who to believe Steve or the guy who works for EA

# 103 EAGLESFAN10 @ 06/05/12 10:13 PM
@TreyIM2 its more of a collision engine and trust me their pullin a MADDEN right now

# 104 Behindshadows @ 06/05/12 10:19 PM
Bargain bin purchase

# 105 Dantecamp21 @ 06/05/12 10:40 PM
I'm a fan of both games so no bias here. I really want this game to be awesome. Like many of you, I'm a tad discouraged right now. Steve's preview was a punch to the face.

I say let's play the waiting game. I believe EA knows they can't afford to bring a half-baked product this time around...

# 106 NoTiCe_O @ 06/05/12 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcras7
You mean a developer whose job it is to say positive things about a game is saying positive things about a game, huh ? who to believe who to believe Steve or the guy who works for EA
I kno lol, that's why i said its up in the air until we see some gameplay. I know OS keeps it real

# 107 alexthegreat @ 06/05/12 10:49 PM
Early build or not, not a very good first impression for a game that hasn't been in stores for 2 years. But i will wait for gameplay before i completely write them off. Im still holding hope they can put out a decent game this year.

# 108 BlueNGold @ 06/05/12 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows
Bargain bin purchase
More like look in the bargain bin, see this game, hesitate for a second and then throw it back in. This sounds awful.

Honestly, I don't care if it's an early build. I thought they said there was going to be player movement without plays being called, but instead players are just standing around doing nothing? They knew all eyes were going to be on them at E3. There's just no excuses, as far as I'm concerned, for the game to sound this bad.

I really wouldn't be surprised to see this get delayed to around the All-Star break next year. It doesn't even sound like Live 10.5, It sounds like Live 09.

# 109 Dantecamp21 @ 06/05/12 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegreat
Early build or not, not a very good first impression for a game that hasn't been in stores for 2 years. But i will wait for gameplay before i completely write them off. Im still holding hope they can put out a decent game this year.
Same feeling here.

# 110 stillfeelme @ 06/05/12 11:27 PM
From an outside perspective this game seems like it falls victim of putting together a team too late to try to accomplish creating a realistic gameplay basketball sim that also looks good and plays good. From everything I have heard they tried to salvage what they could from elite and they really didn't have a true two year development cycle. You don't spend 2 years developing a basketball game and you are only 60% complete. It is good to have competition though. For those that buy I hope it is good though.

# 111 KyotoCarl @ 06/05/12 11:43 PM
From the preview it sounds more like Live 10 than a game that's been through a 2 year dev cycle. Really dissapointing news as the version being show now should be fairly contemporary and all these animations and gameplay features should already hsve been implemented in the game.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

# 112 BCDX97 @ 06/06/12 12:41 AM
I just want it to be fun. With all the things the 2K does right, sadly, it's just lacking in the fun department. I just get pissed when I play that game (the passing/turnovers don't help). I really enjoyed NBA Live 10, wish they had just kept at it.

So I don't care if this is the greatest b-ball game in the world, I just want the fun back.

# 113 kolanji @ 06/06/12 12:47 AM
it really sounds like a valiant effort to bring nba live to fruition over there at ea sports.

its a really long climb up hill for EA when the competitor is really in a better place and state with their basketball IP......

all their efforts and hard work will be under a microscope of scrutiny to comparisons in a bias way due to the failings of nba elite 11 and the expectations of fans.

even more so with nba 2k12 leaving a bitter taste in many gamers mouth and fans really looking for an option to their basketball fix ...

if only EA can to deliver in some shape a game that can maybe just get their 2 feet back on the ground and gain stability to defend themselves and eventually start trowing back some punches at the competitor

my guess is as good as anybody's else's on what to expect but for now the benefit has been given to nba live dev team...not sure if it is because i want to see em do good or just based on the fact that its way too early to tell either way .......come what may i say

# 114 VUUAASSHHH! @ 06/06/12 01:42 AM
Who's gonna be Jesus this year? I bet Garnett will.

lol

# 115 Playmakers @ 06/06/12 01:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
So my question to you is, since NBA E-Lite didnt come out, they had time to work on this, from planning to code writing... how much of an unfinish build is it when they've had all this time?
yep....

this game should be complete and they should be working on bugs and gameplay right now.

How the heck do you skip a year and still not be finished with a product and we are in June?

I think it's all smoke and mirrors to be honest. They don't even show any gameplay videos so they must not be that confident about their product even after having a year off to fix things.

The sad part is i gurantee you EA will be talking about a patch for something within one month after release of this game.

Something their QA testers missed that they should be testing right now on a Final build not a product only 60% complete despite the year off.

# 116 JerzeyReign @ 06/06/12 02:00 AM
And to be fair and impartial, I'll give the Live team a pass too -- its early. The reason, which was posted somewhere on here, that the game is on its 'normal' dev cycle is because it took a year for them to assemble the right team. I consider that being completely indecisive and very discouraging.

Where are the Advisory Council members? What game did they see a month or two ago that had them feeling like the game was moving forward -- was it the same as the one Steve saw?

# 117 noshun @ 06/06/12 02:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
yep....

this game should be complete and they should be working on bugs and gameplay right now.

How the heck do you skip a year and still not be finished with a product and we are in June?

I think it's all smoke and mirrors to be honest. They don't even show any gameplay videos so they must not be that confident about their product even after having a year off to fix things.

The sad part is i gurantee you EA will be talking about a patch for something within one month after release of this game.

Something their QA testers missed that they should be testing right now on a Final build not a product only 60% complete despite the year off.
What's even sadder when you think about it, why hire a new team to make a supposed "new vision" from the old parts that got that old team canned in the first place? Redundancy at its finest....

# 118 truintellectplaya @ 06/06/12 02:25 AM
Nothing surprising here. For the people claiming they are pulling a Madden please explain to me what Madden is doing to get people hyped other than making promises as usual? The difference is you will get Madden and tout it as better than what it is because of the exclusive situation. On the other hand, Live has superior competition.

# 119 Rob. D @ 06/06/12 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyReign
And to be fair and impartial, I'll give the Live team a pass too -- its early. The reason, which was posted somewhere on here, that the game is on its 'normal' dev cycle is because it took a year for them to assemble the right team. I consider that being completely indecisive and very discouraging.

Where are the Advisory Council members? What game did they see a month or two ago that had them feeling like the game was moving forward -- was it the same as the one Steve saw?
Yea were are those council members

# 120 Dazraz @ 06/06/12 04:05 AM
It's somewhat concerning that a game that's been in development for coming along for 2 years, still has these glaring weaknesses. Maybe EA are just hoping that by simply releasing an NBA game they can put a dent into 2K sales that are big enough to cause that company to fold.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.