Home
Preview
Madden NFL 13 Preview

So… You've heard about this new Madden NFL 13 physics engine have you?

Well, I'm here to tell you the infinity engine is indeed legit. It's downright unbelievable actually. Call it a "fresh coat of paint on the same old game" if you want to but I love it.

I played a couple of games last night with some various members of the media and came away very impressed. Sure it's not perfect, you will see limbs getting bent in painful directions occasionally, even see a body slide or rotate a little awkwardly, but all in all, the new Infinity Engine the Madden team has implemented is unbelievable.

I must have seen at least 60 different animations in what little time I had to play with Madden last night, but every one of them made me smile. Getting the right touch on passes never felt so good. If there was one thing I could complain about, it's the offensive and defensive lines. They really need to add 400 animations to those guys next year, to go along with the 400 new ones that were added this year for the receivers. While it is a little better this year, the patty cake stuff is really getting old. I will have to analyze it more to see if strength and ratings really matter down there in the trenches.

Running backs explode through holes and you can actually see them putting their head down to attack a defender on occasion. While watching another gamer playing Madden in the cube next to me, I noticed he was running with Stephen Jackson. As he flipped, while rolling on top of some players on the ground, he stuck his hand down and took off running for some extra yardage. Momentum, for the most part, works as advertised. Bigger players will push smaller players backwards, players will jump and get flipped into awkward positions. When players collide, you will see helmets and necks snap back.

I never played with the Cowboys, but I did roll with the Ravens and Redskins (did I just say that?), just to get a feel for the defense of Baltimore and the RG3 effect for the Skins. He's pretty quick and has an accurate arm, which is very dangerous, as many Madden fans know. The Ravens defense seemed to be everywhere and I mean everywhere. Swarming to the ball at all times. The Steelers defense was no slouch either, as I found it difficult to find any open receivers or run against them at all.

Players don't just get wrap tackled, they will trip over other players feet, on occasion as well. This one time, in band camp… Oh wait, this one time, I flattened a corner, but as I ran by him, he shoestring tackled me, by bringing his arm up and tapping my foot, causing me to trip. It was the wildest thing I ever saw. A couple of times I went into replay mode and instant replay wasn't an option. Guessing it was just an odd bug.

I'm still not seeing many penalties at all and definitely not seeing any pass interference calls. I'm thinking they implement penalties more next year, as they continue to tweak the Infinity Engine. I'm not seeing double teams on pass rushers, but it was only two games and I didn't pay that much attention to it. If you are worried about seeing over the top tackles happen all of the time, I didn't see many of them during the two games I played, but will get plenty of time, over the next three days to find out.

I didn't go into any other modes, just strictly gameplay. I'll be capturing a ton of videos of Madden and other games this week and will post them as I have time.

Madden NFL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 CzingerX @ 06/09/12 03:29 PM
I hope they continue to work on this engine as the years go on.

However, this looks like a good first start! Finally and thank you.

# 62 Moegames @ 06/09/12 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDERMAN
Good read but I was a bit distracted by this picture...

I realize it's suppose to be a bright, sunny game but I've never seen the Cowboys' uniforms wash out to that degree, nor do the Eagles jerseys ever look that bright.

Then again... maybe that's just how the new Nike jerseys look.

Anyway, I look forward to playing with the infinity engine.
That is indeed a result from HDR lighting..it seems odd to you because you aint never seen it in a football video game. This is how it suppose to look in reaction to sunlight..just like in real life. That is why i love HDR lighting this generation of videogames, not just in madden but its been going on with a lot of other games this generation and it does wonders imho. A still shot may make it seem odd but when in motion..its beautiful.

# 63 Shappy @ 06/09/12 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CzingerX
I hope they continue to work on this engine as the years go on.

However, this looks like a good first start! Finally and thank you.
Ya I do too, in a couple years who knows how good this engine can look.

# 64 babw22 @ 06/17/12 01:06 AM
for the first time with the new gen im excited. i loved madden 10 running game so i hope the run is back and better, physics look nice.

# 65 babw22 @ 06/17/12 02:13 PM
my biggist concern is if you can break the first tackle in the backfield of if the defense will get in the backfield too soon. madden 10 did a good job with the running game as far as the defense was their to make the tackle but you could fight and commonly break the first tackle and you had to respect the run game. i understand they fixed the run game but in passed years you just get stoped by the first guy in the backfield too often. the game should have to rely on help defense more in the run game. hopefully the infinity engine will help.

# 66 gamerk2 @ 06/17/12 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi XIII
It's pretty obvious to me. They definitely did it because of BB but also because of the community. I'm sure it wasn't in their plans before hand, especially the way they hyped up Pro-Tak as if it wasn't a gimmick which we soon found out was. But after seeing the Seahawks v 49ers video it's also obvious it's "run-time" physics (as it was mentioned & quoted as in E3) and not exactly "real-time" (yes, there's a difference). It's still much better than what we had in Madden beforehand but also not exactly what some people are expressing or expecting. It seems the players still rely on some pre-determained animations unlike with real-time physics.
What it *looks* like EA did was throw a physics backend on top of their animation based engine, which means a LOT of things people want (better O-line/D-line interaction) probably won't be comming for some time. Its not a full physics engine, but a backend that seems to be ONLY integrated for tackling. One wonders if its even possible to implement for everything else, or if a whole new backend is needed...

More then anything, this raises hopes for the next generation, which might actually have a new real-time physics backend as the result of this.

# 67 gamerk2 @ 06/18/12 12:15 AM
One thing Backbreaker did well was implement the engine for the entire game, not just tackling. Shame the game itself stank...

Think about it, in theory, if you had a true physics engine, rain/snow would actually affect gameplay more then "-25 to catch/carry" and pulling up an occasional "slip" animation. You could actually simulate how well every foot plant would be, in realtime. Think of the effects this has game wide; ever hear of "slowing the game down to the defenses speed"?.

Madden is still an animation based system, except in tackling. So I'm not proclaiming everything fixed at this juncture. I'm more interested in the new CC mode, as its close to what I've been calling for over a decade now.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.