Home
Preview
NBA 2K13 Preview

Erick Boenisch, producer for NBA 2K13, recently gave us a hands-off preview of things to come. While we were shown a small sample size, I spotted a few good nuggets.

Some of you may notice, from time to time when player animations quickly transition into other animations, the player sort of looks robotic or maybe even warp into other players or objects. You see this when players go from a basketball move to a celebration, for example. This is referred to as an Ambient Animation. 2K Sports says they have worked very hard on removing those odd animations to make them look more realistic.

While briefly showing off some gameplay, here are a few things I noticed in a game between a user controlled Miami Heat and an AI San Antonio Spurs squad.

The first thing I noticed was better floor spacing and definitely more movement from players without the ball. The crowds looked slightly better as well. I saw a few Dwyane Wade stepbacks, stepback hesitations and stepback jumpers that looked just like him. I also noticed Tony Parker getting into the lane and shooting some floaters.

I saw some quicker dribble moves in general, with what seemed to be no hesitation. It seemed to be more responsive, but it's hard to tell since I wasn't the man behind the sticks.

Saw a brief glimpse of collision between players going to the rim, but it happened so quick, it was hard to gauge if what I saw was definitely there or not. I also noticed some player sliding.

When on the perimeter, I didn't see as much player bumping, as seen in NBA 2K12. I mean, there was bumping, but it wasn't exaggerated bumping. I didn't see a fast break, so I couldn't tell if players filled the lanes any better.

Never saw a big defender on a smaller quicker guard, so I couldn't gauge speed effectiveness. Was hoping Duncan would get caught up on a switch with Wade, but it never happened.

Now, before you go off on the deep end, with the above being said, I will also note a few comments from Sr. Game Designer, Mike Wang, who has already confirmed via Twitter and our NBA 2K forums, as being worked on or fixed, based off of this early footage. Also remember, there are roughly 4 months to go before the game ships Oct. 2.

Quotes from Mike Wang:

• Just a small update... I figured out why Manu blasted through the D in that vid. I fixed it this morning. Rest assured there will be PLENTY of contact in NBA2K13.
  • We've completely reworked the way we handle contact on drives and shots.
  • The up and unders (aka flick flicks) are now interruptible. So if you read it properly you can force the "under" into contact.
  • I've personally hated isomotion for years. Fixing it has been my primary objective for 13.

Kotaku's recent article mentions the team worked their butts off on the passing game, which in my opinion, is more great news.

The NBA 2K13 team is not looking to reinvent the wheel with controls, but they want to simplify the controls so new users aren't overwhelmed with advanced controls. They also don't want to take away anything from the advanced users.

As most of you already know, by pre-ordering NBA 2K13, you are offered the free downloadable NBA All-Star content package presented by Sprite. In this free DLC, users can pit the NBA’s current superstars against classic players in both the Foot Locker Three Point Shootout and Sprite Slam Dunk Contest. Rosters for both the BBVA Rising Stars Challenge and the 2013 NBA All-Star Game in Houston will feature the 2012 All-Stars, with dynamic updates to the 2013 rosters once the participants are announced.

The blacktop mode was said to be too complex and with the way 2K Sports wanted to simplify controls, it seems they wanted to go that direction with a guitar hero-esque look and feel. As the player gets close to the rim and gathers himself, the "dunk hero" scroll pops up (think guitar hero; this look will change, but overall have the same simplistic approach) and the player goes into slo-mo as you perform your button presses. Simple dunks are slow and methodical button presses, while more difficult dunks will be much faster and include right and left analog stick movements. Timing everything perfectly will obviously result in a higher score.

There are over 100 dunks in the current build with plans on having over 150 dunks in the final release. Prop dunks, teammate dunks along with a few others are included. All of the dunks that were shown to us were realistic, nothing over the top. Another item to note, this is not a stand alone mode. It is integrated into Association, My Player and Season modes, if you have the content enabled. So for example, if you are selected in My Player for an event, you will be in the All-Star Weekend festivities. At this time, the DLC will only be available for 360 and PS3 users, it seems there are no plans, as of right now, to add this content for PC users.

Be on the lookout for more info coming down the road, as this is just a primer of things to come. I can't really state much else about gameplay on such a short sample size. I'll ask if this is available in online association and leagues and report back. If you have any additional questions about the All-Star Weekend DLC, post them here.

NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 ataman5 @ 06/11/12 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
Until there is confirmation of online leagues/association being fixed, I am passing this year.
Same here

# 62 GuideMe1 @ 06/11/12 01:06 PM
I promise U this...If NBA2k12 would've been made by EA, everyone would've been having a cow. This might've been one of the most frustrating games that I've ever played! Can U imagine if Madden's online worked like 2k!? No online lobby or online ranking! I bought that DLC & couldn't even play against my friend who also bought it bcuz playing online is randomized opponents. (I also couldn't host an online Association with those legends) And the sliding! And the cheating AI! And the broken passing! And the CPU waiting until 5 seconds left on the clock & then hitting 70% of those shots! Seriously my friends, we need to hold 2k to a higher standard of quality or at the very least, equal standard to that of their major competition. I'm supposed to give them $60 this year bcuz they added the All-Star back!? LOL 2k. Step Ur game up!

# 63 patco1080 @ 06/11/12 05:47 PM
This comment is for chandlerbang. I agree with you my friend. I don't think it should be easy to drive the lane for players that do not have good ball handling attribute. In 2k12, nobody could drive the lane. The isomotion was non existent. Let me make this clear so you can understand. IF A PLAYER HAS GOOD BALL HANDLING SKILLS SUCH AS A D. WADE, LEBRON, GINOBLI, PARKER, ETC. They should be able to get in the lane with some consistency. Im not saying make it easy for them. But let driving to the lane be solely based on the attribute of the ball handler or how good the defensive man is that is holding the ball handler.

# 64 Sportsflibs @ 06/12/12 02:16 AM
Will CPU controlled superstars play like superstars. In 2k12, as in 2K11, DRose, for example, was nothing (CPU). If I played the Bulls locked to a different player, DRose never scored.

# 65 jonm1010 @ 06/12/12 11:30 AM
On top of the gameplay issues already mentioned I pray they fix the other issues plaguing the game from incorrect stats in game and my biggest pet peeve, the hot zone issue for every computer or user generated rookie.

It completely ruins franchise mode once enough rookies get into the game since all of them are constantly cold shooters from everywhere on the floor. Not to mention that bug has been in the game now for 2 years.

# 66 morningstar777 @ 06/12/12 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patco1080
Dear Mike Wang. For players to have contact out on the perimeter every single time is ridiculous to me. When you say Manu blasted through the defense in the vid. You have no clue as to what your talking about. And i say that with the utmost respect Mr. Wang. Manu Ginobli is a very player when handling the ball. Its hard for defenses to keep him out of the lane. Manu can get in lane almost every time he drives. Because he is a good slasher. Mr. Mke Wang you have to make the game fun when it comes to isomotion moves for players who can do perform isomotion. Please dont make it hard for good ball handlers to drive the lane. Thats what basketball is all about.
It's not whether he drives in the lane or not, it's HOW he did it in the video, did you see how Harden was back peddling?

# 67 patco1080 @ 07/03/12 07:35 PM
this comment is for almostbobsaget. I dont care about getting on people's nerves. If you dont like what im saying, dont read them. Plain and simple.

# 68 patco1080 @ 07/03/12 07:40 PM
This comment is for almostbobsaget. If 2k12 would have lived up to its potential, i wouldnt be on here posting comments at all. So please dont tell me that im getting on people's nerves with my comments. 2k12 got on my nerves when i spent my 63 dollars on a game that wasn't taking seriously by its developers in the 2012. So do my a favor and shut the F$$k up when your referring to my comments

# 69 kdurant35rules @ 07/16/12 03:21 PM
I saw the preview and they should just do what Live did It was wxciting with commentary and not very easy. I had Guitar hero and this will probabaly be too easy but I think it will be a good mode and addition for 2K to improve upon.

# 70 Arro_John5400 @ 03/13/13 05:07 AM
hey guyz!! need a little help here!! how can i get that All-Star weekend in my player mode??

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.