Home
Preview
NCAA Football 13 Preview

With all of the hype surrounding Madden NFL 13 and its new Infinity engine, most people are forgetting about the other football game: NCAA Football 13.

Though not as big of a drastic gameplay change as Madden, NCAA does plenty of things right that should keep you entertained.

First of all, the gameplay has seen a few tweaks and adjustments. You notice the new pass trajectories, which is good since it proves it’s not a gimmick. The play-action fake is brilliant; arguably one of the best “little things” I’ve seen in a sports game yet. It also changes the way options work. Gone – OK, not entirely gone – are the days when options were pointless. As an Oregon fan, this is a huge upgrade and game changer. The running game is more polished which can allow a bit more freedom in the lanes. The new animations are noticeable, and the trajectories really help out. But once it’s all said and done, NCAA still feels the same, which isn’t really a good or bad thing in my book. I’m sure, as we play the demo more and the retail version releases, we should all notice some more of the tiny things.

Now on to what will make people stick around with this game: Dynasty.

The biggest improvement is without a doubt recruiting. It has taken a pretty large leap in a very positive direction. Now you can not only call the recruit, but also you can also scout him. Scouting will give you specific ratings for the chosen athlete, which will ultimately decide for you if you want to offer up a scholarship. Also, three- and five-star athletes won’t necessarily become what they’re played out to be; some five-star kid might end up being the biggest bust you know. Then again, that three-star kid who isn’t getting any letters of intent from outside his home state may as well be the next RG3.

Also, when you call a recruit you no longer need to deal with the dreaded pitch carousel. Instead you have the option of pitching whatever the hell you want, or you can gamble and actually ask the recruit what he is interested in. Weird when games implement common sense, right? It’s about time.

Each pitch is based off of how well your team performs on and off the field. For example, if your quarterback is drafted No. 4 overall in the NFL Draft, the Ducks instantly have more pull when it comes to the pitch “Pro Potential” or when recruiting a new quarterback. Also, recruits know the kind of play style you run with. If for example you want the top rated FB, he will only sign on with you if your current FB is actually seeing some reps on Saturdays.

The further you get along with your recruiting, you’ll slowly see the player’s overall rating (yes, the actually overall rating).

One last thing that I saw that deserves mention is the presentation. From the commentary to the ESPN bottom line, EA did a pretty good job. During the game you’ll get dynamic updates which features scores and stats of other important football games. But one thing that isn’t there, that feels like it should, are video highlights. I’m not trying to bring up the old NFL 2K5 argument, just stating that these dynamic updates need those videos. I was told they didn’t want to create fake highlights to avoid repetition, which makes sense. But at least they have actually put the topic on the table and talked about it – something we’ve never really had confirmation of before.

Some of you may be turned off by this preview, especially since the gameplay didn’t get a major overhaul, but with all of the new recruiting tools I’m personally pumped.

NCAA Football 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Colt45 @ 06/08/12 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaider
Yeah...if they could implement 2k5s presentation..that would be awesome!!!
We've all been saying this since the day 2K5 hit the shelves.

# 22 BenGerman @ 06/08/12 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
Honestly, after playing the demo, I'd prefer to have all the studio updates confined to a half-time show and post-game show instead of them coming up during the game and interrupting the flow.

I just wanted to skip through all the studio updates in the demo and keep playing, as Rece Davis comes in way too much.
I disagree. Also, you have to remember, they will be more spaced out as long as you aren't playing 3 minute Quarters. One or two a quarter is perfect if you are playing 10 minute quarters or so (in my opinion).

I love seeing whats going on around the country, and especially whats going on within my own conference.

# 23 Jakeboutte @ 06/08/12 09:17 PM
Im super stoked for this game! Im ready to hit the recruiting war! The demo does seem a little fast to me, but thats because I have been playing Madden...Im ready to take Texas State to the promise land!!

# 24 chlnmtchll @ 06/08/12 09:26 PM
IVe always loved recuriting now this just makes me more excitied for the game. July 10th cant come fast enough

# 25 Jakeboutte @ 06/08/12 09:47 PM
I love recruiting! Excited to scout and find some gems!

# 26 MONSTERPAYNE @ 06/08/12 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtrain
To bad you cannot export draft classes or Road to Glory into Madden. That stinks!!
Can we really not export draft classes anymore? That's a total bummer....

# 27 Jakeboutte @ 06/08/12 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTERPAYNE
Can we really not export draft classes anymore? That's a total bummer....
No not this year. Next year we should be able to though. Its because of the new engine in Madden.

# 28 willz1985 @ 06/09/12 06:35 AM
I was really loving the demo right up until the point where i called a power option and it went downhill.

I noticed that the d backs followed the RB all the way instead of going for the ball carrier, even sometimes running off the pitch, much like they did on NCAA 12.

I'll still be getting the game, but had hoped stupid stuff like that would have been resolved

# 29 videlsports @ 06/09/12 07:37 AM
The demo was good actually, and this game we all might say was better than madden if the team did not take alot of strides like we have been asking them to. It could be because the exclusive deal ends next year, or they actually have a dev team and investors that are willing to listen to Fans. I will still gamefly Ncaa though and purchase online pass.

# 30 JerzeyReign @ 06/09/12 07:54 AM
Nice, very neutral review.

# 31 LucianoJJ @ 06/09/12 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyReign
Nice, very neutral review.
I agree with Jerzey. NCAA has gotten favorable reviews and previews over the last couple of years, but didn't live up to the high standards most of us have. I'm not expecting anything revolutionary from Tiburon. I'd like a game that works. Getting the same presentation with improved gameplay is a lot better than a flashy, buggy mess wrapped in revolutionary hype.

# 32 sO100 @ 06/09/12 10:43 AM
Is it true that you can't export draft classes this year to use in Madden? That kind of defeats the purpose of ME playing the dynasty if they took that away.

# 33 CuseGirl @ 06/09/12 12:50 PM
I have a bad feeling recruiting is going to get VERY tedious.....

# 34 Ramminyou @ 06/09/12 12:55 PM
I think people will be more forgiving of the updates when they're playing Dynasty in the retail version. Then you'll actually have some connection to the games and will not be seeing the same ones every time you play, like in the demo.

# 35 fcboiler87 @ 06/09/12 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuseGirl
I have a bad feeling recruiting is going to get VERY tedious.....
Unfortunately, I can see this being true. The concept of the phone call and scouting are great. However, this can take lots of time, especially since the roulette is gone (which I am incredibly happy about, but because of it I would go faster through recruiting with it). Add in the scouting feature, it'll take even more time to do. I like doing it, but tedious is a good word.

It is because of these reasons that I would really prefer if EA went back to last gen's way of recruiting (why do I find myself saying this so often?). Let me assign head coach visits, assistant coach visits, or phone calls (not making them, just assigning them). If it was like this, we could still have the scouting feature. I think it'd be a little less tedious like this.

# 36 BenGerman @ 06/09/12 01:23 PM
For me, from what I've seen in the demo at least, recruiting is now going to mean a heck of a lot more. With the read and react defense, you are going to need to be able to recruit high profile defenders. There shouldn't be 60 Overall guys making incredible plays like last year. The offensive lineman ratings seem to be much more important as well. I've been getting monster rushes from Alabama/LSU, but when I play as USC, Oregon has had a much harder time getting pressure.

And it goes without saying that signing a big time QB will be more important than ever, along with WR's. I'm very much looking forward to recruiting this year, as its been so stale the last few years.

# 37 DGuinta1 @ 06/09/12 01:26 PM
SImple Request I have... move the live game play along while the instant replay is being viewed. Seems the game doesn't progress during a replay when it should. Player is tackled and doesn't get off the grass until after the replay. Really Enjoy the Demo!

# 38 DGuinta1 @ 06/09/12 01:28 PM
Mario running for me sometimes though

# 39 DGuinta1 @ 06/09/12 01:29 PM
Anyone going to play as Jim Plunkett?? Cmon now.

# 40 Steelmen13 @ 06/09/12 01:55 PM
So cool. I love the studio updates

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.