Home
Preview
NBA 2K13 Preview (Xbox 360)

Written by DaWolf, owner of http://www.nbagames.de/ (regular in the OS Forums)

I had the opportunity to play an early build of NBA 2K13 for 2 hours today. My impressions are based on the demo code for Gamescom (5 minute quarter, Miami Heat vs. Oklahoma City Thunder, limited options/couldn’t even call for a pick). I also received a demonstration from one of the games Producers at the 2K Business Area, as they showed the demo and a game between the Dream Team and the 2012 Olympic team.

NBA 2K13 feels a lot like NBA 2K12, with a lot of positives and one major negative. Let me go through everything one by one.

Defensive movement: No more sliding, warping and magical defense. If you are beaten by a player you have no chance to recover. That also means that you can’t recover from an opponent’s fast break, if you are not running back at the same speed than the offensive player. I can’t comment on the speed issue at the moment but fast breaks seemed pretty much the same to me as in NBA 2K12. But defensive movement and momentum were really the high points of the game for me today.

On Ball Defense: There are a lot of new animations, as seen in the latest trailer, with two players bumping into each other. But it all felt natural. Overall defense has been vastly improved. I also saw a great block on the perimeter by Lewis, that knocked the ball out of bounds. The blocks under the rim weren’t that great looking, but none of the awkward looking ones with the elbow, etc. as seen in NBA 2K12.

Double teams: Yes, I saw the CPU double team Bosh in the post – I don’t know about double teaming when a player is hot.

Graphics: I saw a slight improvement in the player models – but nothing spectacular at this stage, of course. Coaches looked better as well. I noticed some of the dunk animations are now a little faster than last year, which is a good thing, as I really didn’t like a lot of the slow dunk animations in 2K12. Now they animate more like NBA 2K8, if you can recall that game.

Collision system: Extremely improved over 2K12, with tons of animations when driving to the basket with full or slight body contact. Imagine the system in NBA 2K2 but with much more variety and outcomes. Is it better than the system with two player animations in 2K11? Hmm tough one – sometimes I had the feeling that once you’re in a dunk animation, at a certain point, there is no way the opponent will change the shot. I saw one instance where LeBron took off and the defensive player was just pushed to the side by the animation. I really can’t say if the system was real time physics based, because I saw some contact animations twice – but overall massive improvement. Right now I would say 2K11 still got the edge on this one but we´ll see just how varied it is when we get to play more.

Right Stick Dribble System: Well I don’t want to write much about this because I really didn’t like it. Not because it was badly implemented – but because I´m not a fan of the right stick dribble at all. I kind of knew that before. I’m sure you will like it.

Ok lets get to my one major complaint: Jump Shots. If you have no problem with them in 2K12 you´re fine. But I had. Big time. And it’s not fixed. What I am talking about is the disconnection I feel with the releases of the jump shots in 2K12 and now seen in 2K13. The release window is so small that there is none of that “jumping up and releasing the ball at the highest point of your jump” – it is like there is a quick animation playing out for the jump shot and I have no control over the release whatsoever. It’s hard to explain, I just don’t feel like I’m the one shooting the J. It’s best explained if you go to NBA 2K8 and take a shot with e.g. Carmelo Anthony or in 2K7 with Kobe. Smooth animation – high release point which is triggered not by an animation but by the release of the button. I was sad that it was not addressed. Also in 2K12 your player has a totally different jumper behind the three point line than usual, which is still in there, sadly.

Similarities to 2K12: 2K13 feels like 2K12 in a lot of ways. The movement is a bit smoother (especially on defense), the rim physics haven’t change a bit (which was a disappointment to me), passing wasn’t vastly different (to me..), jump shots (as mentioned), floor spacing, pre-game presentation and even the camera angle on tip-off. All areas looked like 2K12 to me.

Random stuff:

• When the shot clock is running down and there is less than a second to play your player will automatically throw up a quick shot with one arm. Mine went in with Ray Allen.
  • Off the ball fouls and over the backs are now more visible through collision animations.
  • Dunks in traffic tend to not go in (when a foul is involved). Saw a couple of instances where the dunker would just throw it at the rim.
  • Manual bounce pass – gotta love it.
  • Ball feels a bit more loose this year.
  • Dribble too much with the right stick and you will lose the ball.
  • Post game seemed to be expended on as well.
  • When you shoot a contested jump shot, your player will kick out his leg – nice addition.
  • On replays your player is colored whereas all the other players are black and white – looked weird.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. It’s a pretty polished game with the issues from 2K12 mainly addressed. I’ll give high points for the defensive movement and collision system.

NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 jbthegreat @ 08/16/12 01:23 PM

# 142 ForeverVersatile @ 08/16/12 01:23 PM
I had to jump back a few pages to see what i missed, but i can't wait until he post the video he grabbed and hopefully more people were able to stealth record also.

# 143 Vni @ 08/16/12 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbthegreat
Good find man.

# 144 Vni @ 08/16/12 01:30 PM
There is some good ball movements from the AI there.

How the shorts move and the whole thing in motion feels a bit like next gen to me.

# 145 shmitty @ 08/16/12 01:33 PM
hand off pass at :25 was the first thing I noticed...nice.

# 146 Vni @ 08/16/12 01:34 PM
The AI seems to also take some bad contested shots. I think a lot of people have been requesting this. Definately plays a lot different than in previous 2K. Really liking what I see.

I iz impressed.

# 147 ForeverVersatile @ 08/16/12 01:39 PM
There was a weird collision with Wade and Thabo at the 1:31 mark, i'm not sure if Wade slide or if it was something else. I hope that does happen all the time when escape shoots are used.

# 148 ForeverVersatile @ 08/16/12 01:44 PM
Westbrook makes some signals at the :46 mark, not sure if he said clear out or a play.

# 149 Vni @ 08/16/12 01:45 PM
The whole squence from 0.45 to 1.12, you would never see so much ball movements or that kind of impredictable shots taken from the AI in 2K12.

# 150 richmo @ 08/16/12 01:49 PM
Yeah, he makes a playcalling signal. Looks like those are back! They run the same play consecutively so that's how you know, but I like how the first time, Battier switched out on Wade on the help. Hopefully the bad shot selection as stated earlier isn't tied to coding but rather players' own tendencies.

# 151 jayman504 @ 08/16/12 01:54 PM
I mean i know their just clips..but I've noticed not ONE shot was made in the paint by the CPU...variety of shots and good ball movement..nice

# 152 fatleg3 @ 08/16/12 02:03 PM
Is it me or does the player models remind anyone a lil of Live 10? Which is a good thing. The improvement to player movement is very evident. Im loving it

# 153 Vni @ 08/16/12 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatleg3
Is it me or does the player models remind anyone a lil of Live 10? Which is a good thing. The improvement to player movement is very evident. Im loving it
Players look more 3d on the court. I don't know how to explain it.

# 154 Eman5805 @ 08/16/12 02:31 PM
Why is Live 10 constantly being brought up? I didn't realize it was the gold standard for basketball games...

# 155 fatleg3 @ 08/16/12 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman5805
Why is Live 10 constantly being brought up? I didn't realize it was the gold standard for basketball games...
Who ever said it was. I just said the player models remind me of Live 10. Its not like im saying how good the game is going to be compared to live 10. And if you are talking about the controls then Live 10 is the last game to use the right stick to dribble so that is what everyone can relate to

# 156 eko718 @ 08/16/12 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
I know what you mean...

# 157 btrapp @ 08/16/12 02:50 PM
Quote:
Thankfully, the models don't remind me of live 10. I really didn't like that games models.

# 158 aloncho11 @ 08/16/12 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
Quote:
Originally Posted by eko718
I know what you mean...
What do you exactly mean?

# 159 Eman5805 @ 08/16/12 03:34 PM
Quote:
Who ever said it was. I just said the player models remind me of Live 10. Its not like im saying how good the game is going to be compared to live 10. And if you are talking about the controls then Live 10 is the last game to use the right stick to dribble so that is what everyone can relate to
Not trying to insinuate something, just I've seen Live 10 mentioned on at least four separate occasions, perhaps even by different people perhaps. Was a lil' joked out by it.

Perhaps.

Also, looking at the footage for the umpteenth time, really liked the motion on how LeBron crossed over while moving back then forward. If that's an animation where you can spin back around with no problem, gonna really like attacking the paint.

# 160 ForeverVersatile @ 08/16/12 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollooff320
After seeing video Durant is damn huge. I kept mistaking him as Perkins. They need to fix that because he sure looks like he's on a bulk diet in the game.
How is Durant huge, you need glasses bro..

[/img]

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.