Home
Preview
NBA 2K13 Preview (Xbox 360)

What is going on Operation Sports? Today I had the opportunity of attending Gamescom 2012 in Cologne Germany and got roughly 4 hours of face time with a playable demo of NBA 2K13. If you're looking for a reason to buy this game or to wait for another company's offering, you should probably stop reading. I'm giving my honest opinion from the small sample size I was able to get my hands on.

With that being said, I saw some good things as well as some bad things. Below I will break down everything I can and will answer any questions that you may have, to the best of my ability.

Presentation/Atmosphere:

Ok, the game opens up with an aerial view (real life shot) of the American Airlines Arena. Not sure if the music sequence was taken out but it wasn't in the demo. You immediately get sent into a television broadcast in which the starting lineups are introduced. You see shots of the usual Wade doing pull ups on the rim, LeBron doing the powder, and general sportsmanship being shown between the teams.

The commentary didn't really wow me -- they added some new things but it really sounded like last year. I'm sure some new lines and stories were recorded but I didn't get those in the demo.

The crowd... man... the crowd. The crowd, IMO, looked average and they moved poorly. This may be nitpicking but there was too much of that 'Miami burnt orange' in the crowd. I've watched quite a few Miami home games and I rarely see that much orange in the crowd -- didn't look natural at all. I think they need to add more of the home team's primary and secondary colors in the crowd to give it a better blend. Also, since it is the regular season, maybe even add some visiting team fans. Speaking of unnatural, the fans still waved wildly -- sometimes at odd times (like when the home team was on the free throw line). They do sit more but the waving needs to be brought down a notch. Other than that, the crowd swells did happen at the correct times. Honestly, I think the PA needs to be more of a dominant 'noise presence' to give it a perfect blend. Mix him/her in with the crowd swells and the atmosphere would be perfect.

Gameplay (Offense):

Player Movement -- Player movement seemed much more fluid this year. As a user, we have much more control of our player -- I didn't witness many 'mini movies', beautiful news for any 2k basketball gamer. I do however have a slight beef with the player collision system installed. It seemed as if there was a lack of contact animations on some of the fouls inside. The defensive player would fall (very natural IMO) but the offensive player looked as if the foul never occurred.

Other than that, I love the new collision detection, especially on the ball handler. You can really steer a player in the direction you want to go but if you steer too much or can't keep up with the player, as I found out the hard way against Westbrook, they will turn the corner on you and look to attack. The ball handler/defender relationship is a beautiful thing this season. It really makes on ball defense easier to do and turns it into a better option than playing off ball and attacking from the weak side.

Control Stick (Dribbling) - Honestly, this took me ONE five minute quarter to get used to (and the guy beat me 16-15). If you have ever played the NBA Live series you may be familiar with the control stick but please don't say it’s identical. The options you have at just a flick of your thumb, is remarkable. I played one guy and he just looked at me amazed as I used his spamming of the steal button to make him look foolish as a little baby cross followed by a quick hesitation had him reaching while the quick around the back move had him tying shoelaces in the front row. Truly a great addition to the series but don't worry about this turning into And 1. Dribbling, much to my displeasure, still drains energy so any move you do needs to be quick. One day 2k will read my mind and tie dribbling too long with ball security -- the better ball handlers can play with you a little longer than the rest. Until then we have this -- no matter if it drains energy or brings down ball security -- it’s an addition that most guys, especially the ones who haven't mastered the isomotion, will greatly appreciate. And if you are in that #IsomotionAchieved Club, things just got a lot easier for you, as the moves are pretty much similar for the most part.

Shooting - I had some issues but it was more of a 'camera angle' than anything else. I'm a 2k angle (absolute) guy and the camera was on broadcast (camera relative). One thing I did check on was the spin dunk/layup exploit. Either I couldn't do it right due to the camera or they removed it. Every time I tried it went into a half spin and pivot the other way.

Passing - Yes, it’s back. I didn't play against a zone defense to know if it’s truly there but trying to play the passing lanes just got a little riskier this year. The ball was whizzing from side to side with relative ease as well as going where I wanted it to go. Of course the best addition is the bounce pass. I saw some beautiful bounce passes on the break that normally would have been soft lobs that were knocked away or stolen in NBA 2K12. I'm sure I've confused a few German youth today with my complimentary remarks on few great dimes.

Rebounding -- Seen a couple of new animations in this area. The best thing I saw when it comes to rebounding was that the guy who was in the best position normally grabbed the board. No balls warping out of someone’s reach into the person behind them or anything like that. Then again, there weren't a lot of misses to judge as the difficulty seemed to be Pro Default.

Gameplay (Defense)

On ball defense - As I've mentioned above, it has been vastly improved this year. The option to force players a certain way (hopefully virtual Tyreke Evans has a left) will make team defense a bigger key this year. The contact on the perimeter will help you stay in front, but if you're too aggressive you will get burned.

Team defense - Well, this can be grouped into A.I., but correct defensive rotations were made by my A.I. teammates. I tried early to pressure Westbrook to get the ball out of his hands but he turned the corner on me in a hurry. In NBA 2K12, he's yammin' on anything in the paint. This season, the moment he turned that corner your big men (or anyone close) looked to step up to stop the drive. Since I'm talking about A.I. defense, yes I did see double teams. I personally faced a double team controlling LeBron James. The beauty of that double team is the fact that he wasn't hot or anything, it just came because he was in a deadly area, I'll assume for the defense. Unfortunately, the double actually pushed Perkins behind James and I pulled up and knocked down the jumper. Besides that, it’s great to see realistic defensive rotations and double teams make an upgraded return. Hopefully the complaints won't cause the 2K team to nerf them this year.

Bugs/Glitches:

Charge/Flop Bug - I couldn't do it myself but I did see it multiple times performed by a couple of 'charge cheesers' present. From what I can gather (couldn't catch it on film), it looks as if you are beat with your man outside of the 3 point line and click on another defender to draw the foul, when the defender falls (flops -- yes they are in this year from anywhere on the court) the offensive player's original assignment flew to the ground as well, normally nowhere near another player. It was a really weird thing that I hope some of the Team Up guys can find.

Overall Thoughts:

Now I won't say this is the greatest basketball this generation has to offer (even though I believe it will make others 'Watch The Throne') but it will very hard to dislike this offering unless some major flaw presents itself from now until release. A lot of the major things we complained about got implemented from the looks of my small sample. They truly seemed to have put our interests first in this one. NBA 2K13 is working with something special -- only thing missing is a LD2K gif. :)

NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 stillfeelme @ 08/16/12 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD2k
Dev's are very in tune with the fans and feedback. NBA 2K13 is a testament to that in my opinion.

Whoever went through the wishlist thread here. They picked up on a few key things I wanted just from the gameplay I have seen and the articles I read.

# 22 LM1213 @ 08/16/12 11:12 PM
Im glad one of the things he didnt care for was the crowd. I dont really pay much attention to them anyways so if that's one of the low points, that's a good thing...to me

# 23 LM1213 @ 08/16/12 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris_Cole
I think I saw LeBron with the gatorade icon in one of those gamescom videos, so I guess that's at least a good sign?
He actually gets tired in this game...awesome.

# 24 juicey79 @ 08/16/12 11:25 PM
Hey did you catch any new accessories , sneakers, etc..are thus sneakers high res now?

# 25 juicey79 @ 08/16/12 11:28 PM
Btw great write up

# 26 DJ @ 08/17/12 12:25 AM
Thanks for the detailed preview.

I would like to hear about the post game. I'd like to hear about calling for picks, but I believe once again that has been disabled in the demo.

# 27 THE YAMA @ 08/17/12 12:28 AM
Great read here. Explained a lot of things more in-depth.

# 28 Miguelito Kache305 @ 08/17/12 02:47 AM
Question!!! From the videos I have seem, it looks like the passing game havent change much... The issue its still there for wat I seem, the only difference is the bounce pass... Do they still have that ugly over the head pass?? Tha rarely happends in the real nba??
Thank you it was a gread read but I still think the passing needs way more improvement than a bounce pass.....

# 29 domidomdomz @ 08/17/12 03:16 AM
Thanks for the preview.

Like what others have raised, have you tried the new post-up controls? How was it? How about the too much up-and-unders of mediocre players, is it still there?

And last one, how was the hop-step button? Could it be a source of cheesing again like NBA 2K11?

# 30 swac07 @ 08/17/12 04:14 AM
to initiate post position is it still Y on xbox?[the reason i asked i have no arms and play the game with my feet...it made it so much easier for me]

# 31 Dazraz @ 08/17/12 05:01 AM
2K have a tough job introducing new ground breaking features within a game that sets the standard for current sports simulations. Games like NHL & Madden are getting a lot of attention this year because EA have made some big changes, albeit long overdue ones. Only now, after all these years, their NHL game will have a proper Broadcast Cam! Enjoy what 2K are bringing because when the next generation of consoles appear & developers start building games from the ground up once more it could be some time before we get a game as complete as NBA 2K is.

# 32 JerzeyReign @ 08/17/12 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersez
Great great great preview jerzy. I've seen some footage or a player going up for a layup or dunk, and it looked like the shot blocker and shooter just glazed each other, when the defender went right up to him. It's hard to describe and I forgot which video it was titled.

Did you see things like that example I gave?
I'm one of those DIY type players so I didn't see it often enough to consider it a problem. I did see it once though. I was playing Wade too close up top and he turned the corner. As I started to yell 'Step up!' to my computer teammate (like they can hear me, right?) Wade went into a full windmill slam. Honestly, I had more issue with Wade performing a windmill in that situation than the defender avoiding being posterized. In that situation it seems more realistic that Wade would have 'cocked back' with one hand with a threat of shot blocker in the area just in case he jumped. I wouldn't get disappointed yet though since I was playing on a difficulty meant to 'wow' people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
JerzeyReign were you shooting with X button or did you go full control stick? If you went full control stick how did you like it?

How would you say they improved speed between the fast or slow players?

Did you feel the effect of the sig skills at all?

How did the "live" ball feel this year? I know DaWolf said it was more loose any examples?
I've always been a 'right stick' shooter so the adjustment wasn't that difficult for me. I didn't dive into the shot stick because I'm not used to Broadcast. I really wanted to try floaters out to ensure they work. Something I forgot to mention in my impression -- floaters seem to work better this year as I witnessed a couple of them take flight in front of the shot blocker's face. I was never in a situation use them but it seems as if the release has been set to be a little faster making them effective. No more 'tooth fairy' gathers/takeoffs -- the speed of them will probably improve their effectiveness against big men.

The difference in speed between players in the halfcourt is very noticeable. I don't fastbreak often (only after steals or blocks ) and the guys that were doing it weren't really good at the game so it was hard to tell since they weren't running it realistically. I had two fastbreaks that I can remember and they were a 2 on 1 with Westbrook and Durant (ended in a Durant oop) and a 3 on 1 break with James, Chalmers, and Cole that ended with Cole not popping and eventually messing up an alley oop to James. I really don't recall if we outran them for numbers or what but then again I don't remember too many 3 on 1 breaks in NBA 2k12. Could of been an anomaly but I really hope they are realistically possible.

I honestly forgot about that signature skills -- I just used guys the way they play in real life and was having success against other users. I don't even remember seeing any icons or anything. This may be a question for Vann.

The ball felt the same to me. For example, Westbrook was just standing there dribbling with his left hand. I swiped at it and looked like I made pretty good contact with it. Instead of the ball being knocked away his dribble continued undisturbed. It was kind of annoying since I had 'cookies' so I had the same feeling as last year. I did see some protect the ball animations after it looked like the ball was slightly knocked away. As far as a 'live ball' in any other area -- I didn't see it. It seemed as though they toned it down as I didn't witness one ELBOW BLOCK! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBeach
As a South Florida resident, I noticed the same thing you did after watching a few videos. The fans down here aren't really wearing Miami Heat colors in regular season games. I did notice a bit too much of that burnt yellow/orange.

Do you remember anything about fast breaks at all? Was there any clear separation between offensive and defensive player relative to their speed attributes? Perkins catching up to Wade/LeBron chasing down Thabo?
I answered the fastbreak question above. And I'm glad that I was right about that orange, lol. In some instances I saw fans with a Heat jersey over an orange shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak_Baki_Hanma
Any word on fatigue?... is it still a non-factor? Will calling timeouts still allow you to play the same 5 energized players for the entire game?

Any word or the ability to save an online profile so we don't have to make a whole slew of adjustments before every game?

And, of course, any word on server improvements, if any?

Thanks.
The game auto-subbed so I couldn't really tell how much fatigue plays a part. I did see the Gatorade symbol on a couple of my opponent's players so their may be hope. Probably a question better suited for the Team Up guys since they can use longer quarters.

I just played a demo and I didn't see any 2k reps (besides the teens making sure we don't record) on site to ask. I do recall LD2k saying they will talk about this stuff in September so we probably have another week or two before we get an answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmass413
Did you notice any off the ball fouls?
Not that I can recall. Their may have been but everything was in German so it was hard to distinguish where the foul happened unless it happened on the shot. I didn't see anything that looked like an off ball foul.

# 33 Illustrator76 @ 08/17/12 07:44 AM
Great impressions Jerzey, I am looking forward to this game more this year than I think I ever have, so I am extremely excited. I have one question for you. Do the CPU teams/players seem to play more like their real selves this year? I am not a huge head-to-head guy (but that may change this year) and last year guys like Andrew Bynum wouldn't shoot enough, or when he did shoot he would take too many jumpshots instead of working down in the post. I tried adjusting player ratings, sliders, new roster sets, etc... but I just couldn't get the players to play how they should. One team that seemed really off was the Dallas Mavericks. Jason Terry and Vince Carter would shoot like 100 shots a game while Dirk did nothing at all. Terry I could understand somewhat, but Vince Carter? I really hope that they tuned and adjusted the ratings so that the right players are taking the bulk of the shots for each team (and in the right spots as well), because that has been my biggest beef with NBA 2K the past few years.

Thanks again for the impressions sir!

# 34 silverskier @ 08/17/12 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swac07
to initiate post position is it still Y on xbox?[the reason i asked i have no arms and play the game with my feet...it made it so much easier for me]
Beluba said that Y is the button on his twitter

# 35 JerzeyReign @ 08/17/12 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
Thanks for the detailed preview.

I would like to hear about the post game. I'd like to hear about calling for picks, but I believe once again that has been disabled in the demo.
I can't lie -- I was confused when it came to the post. I'm so used to L2/LT being my fake that I really struggled down there. I can't honestly give an opinion on that. I need to hop in the virtual gym on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguelito Kache305
Question!!! From the videos I have seem, it looks like the passing game havent change much... The issue its still there for wat I seem, the only difference is the bounce pass... Do they still have that ugly over the head pass?? Tha rarely happends in the real nba??
Thank you it was a gread read but I still think the passing needs way more improvement than a bounce pass.....
Agree but the speed the pass gets there will help tremendously for the time being and the manual bounce pass is truly a hidden jewel IMO. I'll take what they've done this year over those soft lobs any day of the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domidomdomz
Thanks for the preview.

Like what others have raised, have you tried the new post-up controls? How was it? How about the too much up-and-unders of mediocre players, is it still there?

And last one, how was the hop-step button? Could it be a source of cheesing again like NBA 2K11?
Answered the post question above. When I played against the CPU I was always Miami. While playing against OKC they didn't really throw the ball inside often -- it was mainly Westbrook and Durant putting up shots. I didn't see any up and unders. As for the hop step button, I didn't see many users use it and I didn't use it myself. Unsure if it will be cheesy -- really wouldn't matter -- cheesy players will find some way to cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swac07
Yes, the post is Y/Triangle this year.

# 36 STLRams @ 08/17/12 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguelito Kache305

I'm wondering about the passing also, this is the second or third time I think someone has mentioned the passing doesn't seem changed from 2K12, but Ronnie mentioned on one the 2K videos that passing has been fixed and we shouldn't see the slow lofty passes any more.

# 37 Blak_Baki_Hanma @ 08/17/12 08:43 AM
Thanks for the follow-up. Players "get" tired in the current versions but calling a timeout replenishes so much energy that even the centers with the lowest stamina ratings can play an entire game with more than 1/2 of a full energy bar. If this isn't adjusted, then it will be another year of "your best 5 vs mine" and that's just not a good look for sim ballers.

It literally kills the experience (for me).

# 38 BezO @ 08/17/12 09:05 AM
Sounding great. Thanks JR!

# 39 Bulls321974 @ 08/17/12 09:22 AM
Don't know. I got very mixed emotions after watching the footage and reading thru the preview. Might actually not be as good as 2K12 eventually...

# 40 Vni @ 08/17/12 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls321974
Don't know. I got very mixed emotions after watching the footage and reading thru the preview. Might actually not be as good as 2K12 eventually...
What makes you think that?

JezeyReign have you noticed an improvements on layups? The animation where so lazy and inapropriate in 2K12, you coudn't really penetrate and attack the rim with small guards as well as you could in 2K11 for example. What are your thoughts on that?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.