Home
Preview
NBA 2K16 Preview (PS4)

Wow.

That three-letter word sums up my quick trip to the 2K Hangar to get my hands on NBA 2K16.

Before I get into the nitty-gritty, this article will strictly be about on-court gameplay. MyCAREER information will be coming out on Monday, and you’ll find it here on Operation Sports. Also on Monday you will see some gameplay footage (at last!) from some of your favorite NBA teams.

Okay with that information out of the way, let's play basketball.

NBA 2K is in its third year of a new physics engine that debuted with the new generation of consoles. During this time, the graphics have improved drastically, but the gameplay has not necessarily always kept up. However, this year the team has potentially made a game that plays as pretty as it looks.

I was able to play three games, and came away with different impressions from each. Depending on the team you play as, you’re going to be in a completely separate basketball world. You won’t be able to use the Bucks the same way you use the Cavaliers. This should help keep the game fresh, and give you a true home-court advantage when playing with your go-to squad.

If you have any specific questions, follow and ask me on Twitter at @Dustin_Toms. If I have an answer, you’ll get one. (The same rules apply for the comments section of this article.)

Game 1: Atlanta Hawks (CPU) at Milwaukee Bucks (me)

I chose these two teams for two reasons. First, Scott O’Gallagher was hyping up his new defensive mechanics with the Bucks. Second, NEW UNIFORMS! (They both look fresh, by the way).

NBA 2K16 is the only sports game with authentic wingspans. Milwaukee is a long, lengthy team that stands at minimum 6-foot-6 in the starting lineup. Using the new defensive mechanics, which are listed in detail here in OG’s blog, the Bucks can use their team strengths to hang with any team in the NBA.

Just as you would imagine, they aren’t much of an offensive machine, but using the Greek Freak to handle Korver is a real thing. MCW’s size was a challenge for Teague. Jabari was matched up against Millsap, and Millsap won that battle nine times out of 10. Monroe, the Bucks’ newest addition, was rolling off a pick-and-pop for a mid-range game that Splitter couldn’t keep up with.

However, let’s look at the flip side.

Korver was a dream running off screens. He was still getting open once in a while to get a shot off. Teague’s speed was a challenge for MCW, something that really showed when Atlanta started running their sets. Millsap punished Jabari on the offensive side, but he had to try harder when Jabari had the ball in his hands. And Splitter was definitely winning the rebound battle against Monroe.

NBA 2K16 is a chess game. You need to use true basketball strategy to gain any advantage on your opponent before they do.

I ended up winning by seven with the Bucks. I controlled the game on the defensive end, which always gave me the cushion I needed. I was never too concerned about losing the game despite how close Atlanta was getting. I was in control.

Game 2: Cleveland Cavaliers (me) at Sacramento Kings (CPU)

I had to try out the King.

First of all, LeBron was hands down the best player on the court. His size, speed and athleticism truly show in the game. All credit goes to Mike Stauffer’s new Hall-of-Fame ratings scale (I don’t know if that’s the actual name, but I’m rolling with it). A quick example of the scale you ask? Dennis Rodman is the best offensive rebounder of all-time, so he is rated 99 in that category. Now you rate everyone compared to how well they stack up to Rodman. So yeah, the ratings will reflect a player’s true strengths and weaknesses on the court during the game.

Unlike the Bucks/Hawks game, this one was an offensive grinder. I was never able to pull away from Sacramento as Rudy Gay was catching fire, matching most of my successful possessions. But Gay’s ball dominance was showing, as Boogie wasn’t getting the touches he needed to make a huge impact. Boogie would score when he had the ball, but there were times he didn’t even get to touch the rock.

On defense, Sacramento was great in the paint with Boogie and Cauley-Stein doing what they’re expected to do: protect the rim. I was able to cancel out their strategy by keeping Kevin Love and Tristan Thompson in the game for a boost in offensive boards, but was losing out on the defensive end with Love’s deficiencies.

Kyrie’s shot looked good, and he was the most explosive guard on the court. Rondo did a good job containing him though, holding him to just a few points.

I was underwhelmed with the rebounding battle in this one, as I easily doubled up the Kings despite facing Boogie. With Love, Thompson and Mozgov constantly in the game, all of the boards were mine. This was the only reason I was able to squeak out the two-point win. But that road atmosphere was tough.

Game 3: Memphis Grizzlies (CPU) vs. Oklahoma City Thunder (me)

Time for my obligatory you-heard-it-here-first comment. The Memphis Grizzlies are going to be one of the top teams used online this year.

With all of the focus that has been put into defense, of course the Grizzlies are going to see some love. They completely blanketed KD all night, holding him to six points. I just could not get open. Even KD’s quick/high release (which does look much better) was not doing me any good with all the hands in my face. When KD was able to get past Barnes and the double teams, Z-Bo was there to size him up and shut down his driving lane. The strength and body size alone was too much to handle. I forced a few shots to try and draw the foul, but nothing was working. I was forced to try a different strategy.

I had to switch my focus on offense to Westbrook. It felt like KD was hurt all over again. Westbrook was running in circles, using his signature size-ups to wreak havoc. His explosiveness was showing through as well. But with KD out of the picture, someone needed to step up…Kyle Singler! Singler was knocking down open shots when he was rolling off screens. It was nice to see what the blogs were talking about (role players stepping up on any given night).

But despite my best efforts, Memphis had a hold on me the entire game. OKC’s lack of wings coupled with Memphis’ ball movement kept me off my game. Z-Bo (his body scan is massive, just like it should be) bullied his way through the defense all night. Gasol held it down against Kanter, Ibaka, Adams. Conley was Maestro of the Year. True team basketball was OKC’s doom.

Bullet Points

There are always fun nuggets that are put into the game that just don’t have a great way to be included in the preview itself. Some of these I’m sure are mentioned in the dev blogs, but there’s just so much to keep track of at this point that I accept I'll be overlapping here and there. Here are some bullet points on NBA 2K16:

• Starting lineups are announced for both teams
Greg Anthony is the third commentator, replacing Steve Kerr
• All 12 historic teams have been announced
Kenny "The Jet" Smith is joining Shaq and Ernie
• TONS of updated player hairstyles
• New quick-substitution controls using just the right stick
• Improved NBA dancer routines
• Between-quarter player/coach interviews (what you see on TV broadcasts)
• Halftime show is better, but nothing that will make you watch each time
• Freelance motion offense is a thing of beauty
• Hedge defending is improved
• Each defender has his own mindset based on player tendencies/attributes
• Improved on-ball behavior
• Foot planting was completely redone
• Added anticipation to hesitations
• Full body scan, including legs, for players
• Zig-zag/base-line cheese looks like it’s gone
Read through my Twitter timeline for more quick-hitters

I’ll leave you with a quote from Mike Wang (@Beluba) that shows just how much these guys care about this game.

“Everything feels like it's right there, and it's working on your fingertips. Offense and defense -- it's a song, a relationship. That's what we’re most proud of. Two people who know the sticks can have an epic battle without being forced into a canned animation.”

NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Shakedowncapo @ 09/11/15 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
The best center in the game not touching the ball to let Gay chuck it up sounds like a typical roster tendency issue.
That left me curious as well because Boogie damn near lead the league in usage. But the flipside of that is how do things change with a full year of Karl and Rondo.

# 42 zrohman @ 09/11/15 12:27 PM
As a Kings fan I can tell you Boogie is very ball dominant. I expect that to change. I expect Rondo to be getting everyone involved, but it won't lead to Gay ball hogging

# 43 scottyp180 @ 09/11/15 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
The best center in the game not touching the ball to let Gay chuck it up sounds like a typical roster tendency issue.
I'm wondering if it has to do with the Kings just running with the hot hand, although I would assume that a defensive adjustment would be made eventually and Lebron would be assigned to shut down Gay. Not sure if that would be an adjustment made by the user or if the adjustment would automatically be made.

# 44 8KB24 @ 09/11/15 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGSW
I was thinking the exact same thing. A little concerning.
Sounds realistic :P

# 45 The 24th Letter @ 09/11/15 12:44 PM
Gay shoots 16 shots a game to Boogies 18 so
we will just have to see if it's a consistent thing....

I just want to know if Gay is still God status lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 46 blues rocker @ 09/11/15 12:52 PM
wow...that quote by Mike Wang at the end has me salivating. we know 2k's devs have extremely high standards, and they are harder on their game than anyone...so for them to feel that good about the game definitely means something. this game is going to be a masterpiece...i can feel it.

# 47 gremdog8 @ 09/11/15 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter

Ain't that the truth, the Kings was to me one of the more powerful online teams because of Rudys as you call it god status and McLemores baseline dunk cheese he could do all day long.

# 48 RocketTMac1 @ 09/11/15 12:59 PM
Quote:

It sounded like it in the write up.

# 49 WTF @ 09/11/15 01:05 PM
The quote by Mike at the end is what has me the most excited. Hopefully that translates to the user vs cpu games as well, hoping that the CPU doesn't use the bodying defense to force the user into canned animations. I truly believe this year is the year that we'll get out of that legacy issue, and really start seeing the game take off.

2 more weeks.

# 50 reptilexcq @ 09/11/15 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
wow...that quote by Mike Wang at the end has me salivating. we know 2k's devs have extremely high standards, and they are harder on their game than anyone...so for them to feel that good about the game definitely means something. this game is going to be a masterpiece...i can feel it.
This game is going to get 7/10 if they don't fix the online issue that plague last year's game. 2k15 was terrible online...but great offline. So far, all i hear about is offline, nothing online. Not even one single piece of info. Remember, 2k15 got bad ratings due to virtually unplayable online mode not offline.

# 51 The 24th Letter @ 09/11/15 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptilexcq
This game is going to get 7/10 if they don't fix the online issue that plague last year's game. 2k15 was terrible online...but great offline. So far, all i hear about is offline, nothing online. Not even one single piece of info. Remember, 2k15 got bad ratings due to virtually unplayable online mode not offline.

What are you waiting to hear about online.?

For them to say that "it's better"?

Technical jargon?

We all want the servers to improve...but I don't quite get what news you want as of right now....the real test will be when the game is here....

# 52 2_headedmonster @ 09/11/15 01:45 PM
Quote:
What are you waiting to hear about online.?

For them to say that "it's better"?

Technical jargon?

We all want the servers to improve...but I don't quite get what news you want as of right now....the real test will be when the game is here....

Everyone wants reassurance their concerns have been addressed. They've told us how gameplay is better, i wouldn't mind the same about online.

# 53 juicey79 @ 09/11/15 01:45 PM
Is the soundtrack music playing after player of the game

# 54 suh90beast @ 09/11/15 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSportsGamer1984
Good stuff Dustin! Is it me or does this seem like the longest September in history? Lol. #2 more weeks!
Lmao im waiting on my financial aid money from college to buy 2k. This month is going by too slow.

Sent from a stoner in New Orleans

# 55 kobebryant314 @ 09/11/15 01:48 PM
GAME OF THE YEAR!!! I already know!!

# 56 The 24th Letter @ 09/11/15 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
Everyone wants reassurance their concerns have been addressed. They've told us how gameplay is better, i wouldn't mind the same about online.
They could make some promises, which would be a bad idea...but it'd just be talk until we sign on....

Last time they talked about this, half he responses is "we'll see when we play" anyway....

I'm right there with tall as far as wanting it improved though, don't get me wrong...

# 57 23 @ 09/11/15 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
You can't stress test online until everyone gets on first.

I mean these guys are primarily letting us know what the core game is like which is most important.

Sports games don't test servers like shooters do

# 58 Mikelopedia @ 09/11/15 01:52 PM
Great write up Dustin, thank you.

-DeMarcus Cousins was 3rd in the league in usage rate at 34.1%.
-Rudy Gay was tied for 17th in the league at 27%.

I just don't get why people are saying it's realistic that Boogie didn't touch the ball...
I'm fearful that that box score of the game Dustin played looked like this:
Rudy Gay 17 for 26
DeMarcus Cousins 6 for 9

As always I wish we'd hear less about meaningless overall ratings and more about TENDENCIES which drive everything that you see happen.
Da Czar and OG kept bringing up the AI asking the question, "Who are you, who am I?" Do you think that they are talking about ratings??? Hopefully tendencies are on point.

# 59 and1product @ 09/11/15 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebryant314
GAME OF THE YEAR!!! I already know!!
I wish nba 2k would be considered in that honor but they only give those titles to games like Warcraft or skyrim. If 2k had turn based combat or looting , then the reviewers would give it a 10. Look at Metal Gear Solid 5 although a good game, it has horrible servers. They gave it a Perfect 10.

# 60 LorenzoDC @ 09/11/15 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelopedia
Great write up Dustin, thank you.

-DeMarcus Cousins was 3rd in the league in usage rate at 34.1%.
-Rudy Gay was tied for 17th in the league at 27%.

I just don't get why people are saying it's realistic that Boogie didn't touch the ball...
I'm fearful that that box score of the game Dustin played looked like this:
Rudy Gay 17 for 26
DeMarcus Cousins 6 for 9

As always I wish we'd hear less about meaningless overall ratings and more about TENDENCIES which drive everything that you see happen.
Da Czar and OG kept bringing up the AI asking the question, "Who are you, who am I?" Do you think that they are talking about ratings??? Hopefully tendencies are on point.
I've had the same concern, and have been asking about it for others with access to ask (to no avail).

I did however ask Stauffer in the chat of last week's SimHangout about tendencies. I don't have the exact response, but he did say tendencies (I'm paraphrasing from memory) got an overhaul or at least consistent attention to go with attributes to provide game balance and realism. I was also asking about draft classes and this is what he was saying.

It's not a very deep response, and the chat room was busy, but this at least is what I can report 2k claims, as far as it goes.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.