Home
NFL 2K2 REVIEW

NFL 2K2 Review (Xbox)

COOK AND KELLY DOUBLE TAKE

We are trying out a new “tag team” segment with some of our reviews. Let us know what you think in our forums. Today, Jim Cook and Jim Kelly give us their review of NFL 2K2 for Xbox.

NFL2K2 BRINGS IT’S “A” GAME TO THE XBOX

GAMEPLAY

KELLY:

For people who are familiar with the series, the gameplay is fast and responsive just like it’s past versions that graced the Dreamcast. The ability for players to stop/cut on a dime may seem unrealistic to some.  Others (myself included) find it quite gratifying to have the ability to respond and do exactly what you want, thus controlling your own destiny on the football field.  Does that make it an easy game?  Hell no!! It’s important to understand and execute real football fundamentals in this game if you want any chance at success. First of all it’s important to understand how plays are constructed and how they are intended to be executed. Staying in the pocket, planting your feet, and not throwing into double coverage will definitely be beneficial. Learning and utilizing your player’s strengths and weakness are also key. Scrambling with Michael Vick makes perfect sense, but try the same thing with Jim Miller and you’re in for a world of hurt.

As NFL2K2 has made it’s transition from the DC to the PS2 and now the Xbox, it’s responsive nature has become more refined.  While the difference between the DC and PS2 version was more pronounced, there isn’t a whole lot of variation between the PS2 and Xbox editions of this game. The subtle differences that I found were a slightly slower game speed with the Xbox version. Even though it is a tad slower it appears to be also a bit smoother in gameplay. Player movements and collisions appear smoother. Other than those slight nuances, the difference in gameplay for the PS2 and Xbox versions is minute.

How does the gameplay stack up against Fever and Madden?  Well that basically will depend on your personal preference. Madden has a slower and more deliberate approach which some people feel is more of a simulation of the sport. Fever is somewhere between the two games in the area of game speed and responsiveness.  Even though both are great games in their own right, nothing feels more rewarding than busting a long gainer with your Halfback or completing that pass down the sideline. If you are looking for non-stop fast and furious football on your Xbox, you need to look no further.

COOK:
The X-box version is the most polished version. It seems to have slight improvements in all aspects of the game. Was this intentional or is it possibly something like improved collision detection of the X-box improves your ability to tackle? One of the biggest complaints of the PS2 version is that you would get run into the ground by the superstar running backs and merely humiliated by the average back. Although you will still get ran on, the number of broken tackles is reduced.

The control in NFL2K2 is unsurpassed; rarely do you feel like just the play caller. You control your own destiny. I was worried about the X-box controller, but the black and white buttons are not necessary during gameplay. You use the four main buttons and the triggers. On the defensive side there are times that you would like to be able to control a defensive back sooner, but I attribute part of that to my slow reflexes. The gameplay is challenging and fun, which I think is the idea.

GRAPHICS

KELLY:
As with the PS2 version there is an astounding improvement in the Xbox version since it’s DC installment. Player models are extremely detailed and varied to closely resemble their real life counterparts. Faces are dead on at times, as you will see that players like Brett Favre look surprisingly real.  Some facial expressions even change to reflect the emotion shown on the playing field.  Stadiums are shown with full sideline detail including cheerleaders and the chain gang. Lighting and reflections are quite impressive and shadows (even a passing blimp overhead) are well done. The stadiums themselves however are not as impressively detailed as those done in Fever. The crowds are generally colored blocks as compared to moving fans shown in Fever. The stadiums in NFL Fever also seem more spacious.

The graphical difference between the PS2 and Xbox version are once again subtle. I switched between these two versions back and forth using an Interact System selector. It’s a handy multi-system connector that even supports S-video. While the textures with the Xbox version were definitely smoother and more defined, the colors of the PS2 version seemed brighter and more vibrant.   The flickering that is present in the PS2 version was greatly reduced in the Xbox edition. The framerate is also steady and does not suffer from a few of the slow down issues that occasionally occurred with the PS2. Other than that these two versions are virtually identical. So if you’re expecting a graphical leap from the PS2 to the Xbox you might be a little disappointed.  Nevertheless, NFL2K2 holds it’s own on the Xbox and is equally impressive as Madden and Fever in the graphics department.

COOK:
The biggest difference I see between this and the PS2 version is there is almost no flickering or shimmering and has Jim Kelly mentioned the colors seem a little duller on the X-box version. For those who haven’t played either version the presentation is superb, especially when dealing with replays. After many plays they break into multi angle replays that the announcers actually talk about and telestrate. I am not usually a big fan of this and I find myself looking for the button to hit that will let me skip the replay. However, with NFL2K2 I find myself watching many of the replays still, I think that is the best endorsement I can give the graphics. They even show replays of great blocks and give the offensive linemen some due. There are plenty of statistical overlays and they are timely and well presented. I especially like the Sega Ticker at the bottom of the screen that runs during a game. While playing a season you see games that you have already played being updated as you play another game on that day. Jim did forget to mention Edgerrin James gold teeth; with if you play against him you may get tired of seeing.

There are many animations and they are for the most part realistic, there are some over the top tackles, but I think it adds to the excitement and presentation of the game. In the running game you will see the runners “get skinny” as they try to sneak through a whole in the line of scrimmage or stutter step as they prepare to make a spin move. There are some moments when your receivers or defensive backs act very oddly toward the ball, almost seeming like they are avoiding it. I am not sure if this is bad AI, bad animation or partly a bad user. None the less this game looks great and the whole presentation package is great.

AI

KELLY:
The AI in 2k2 also shines in most areas. Play calling patterns are usually identified and shut down by the CPU. It’s a good idea to mix up your run and pass plays, and even try to run them from different formations. The CPU also effectively mixes up its plays and seems to accurately depict the play calling tendencies of the actual NFL teams. Kick off returns are now easier to defend then in the PS2 version of this game. Longer returns are less likely to occur and the average length of the return itself is more realistic. The line play and blocking itself in this game are very well done. As Jim Cook mentioned the replays actually show lineman finishing out their blocks as opposed to just standing there.

A couple of flaws or glitches that still exist from the PS2 version are in CPU clock management. While timeouts are now taken late in games, (they weren’t taken consistently in the PS2 version) some of the play calling is still very suspect. For example, the Bengals shouldn’t be attempting a field goal with 27 seconds left in the fourth quarter while trailing by seven. Also I had an occasion where the CPU spiked the ball and then called a timeout.  Another problem that occurs involves the receivers. For some strange reason receivers who stop on curl routes will dive out of the way of the ball as it approaches them at times. It doesn’t happen enough to ruin the experience, but it is annoying when it happens.  Even with these minor glitches the AI in this game brings about a very satisfying amount of challenge with each game.

COOK:
AI is probably the strongest element of this game which is surprising since it has some noticeable flaws. First the flaws, one is clock management, it is better than it’s PS2 counter part, but still makes some odd decisions as to when to spike the ball or call a timeout. I have not seen the clock management of the CPU hurt the CPU team yet, but you get the feeling it could be done better. This is also a gray area, watch any game on TV and the announcers will be questioning the coaches and QB’s, use of the clock.  One other dumb thing the CPU does is return punts out of the end zone.

The good stuff is that the CPU constantly challenges you with its play calling on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball. This is the heart of the game and this is the best part of NFL2K2. I have to be mentally ready to play this game it’s not a game you can play if you want to veg out on the couch for the evening. Not only do you need to call a variety of plays but you need to execute them well. If you keep yourself out of tough 3rd and long situations you have the best chance of moving the ball, just like in the NFL.  The playbooks for teams are varied and when you play different teams you will notice certain tendencies develop for that team.

PRESENTATION

KELLY:
One area that has always kicked butt in the 2k series is the commentary. Quite frankly the two-man team of Dan Stevens and Peter O’Keefe is the best of any football game. Even though these guys are fictitious announcers, they give the most realistic commentary in any sports game. Much to my surprise after my kicker narrowly made as field goal, the announcers actually commented on how the ball had barely cleared the crossbar. They will criticize you if your predictable play calling is unsuccessful. They will also praise you if run the same plays and can’t be stopped. Intelligent commentary with some humorous remarks makes this two-man team exceptional and enjoyable.

COOK:
Although I have the same setup for my X-box and PS-2, I get better sound from my PS2. Unlike almost every other sports game these guys sound like they are actually announcing a game and not sitting in some studio monotonously reading off different comments

There are a few misplaced comments and you will become very familiar with some of the jokes. On occasion I will hear a comment that I hadn’t heard before. The trash talking is well done and the football type sound also has a level of excitement to the game.

FEATURES

KELLY:
Of course, this game has exhibition, practice, season, and franchise modes. I highly recommend for new time players to spend ample time in practice mode before you start a season. You will find it a great aid executing and understanding your team’s plays. The The Franchise mode is till a weak point in NFL2K2. It has nowhere near the depth that it should have. You are extremely limited in your off season options. Your negotiations with players are too simplified, as there is no bargaining back and forth. You either sign him for what he wants or you don’t. The depth chart is a bit confusing as players are lumped into too general of categories. Cornerbacks and safeties are all listed as defensive backs. It could be confusing to determine which players are safeties and cornerbacks if you are not familiar with individual players. The trading block feature is decent, as teams will make you some pretty fair offers. Season and career stats are compiled and are easily accessed after you become familiar with the menus. Although the franchise mode isn’t particularly deep, this game still has the essentials that should generate enough interest to play.

COOK:
Feature #1, great game play. For me that is where it is at. I respect that people like to build up their franchise, but I get no thrill from playing with made up players. The depth chart problem Jim K mentions is a problem and given all the complaining about it, I would expect it to be fixed for next year. One thing Jim didn’t mention is the Fantasy draft, you can start from scratch and pick your own team, I think the CPU does a pretty good job of picking the other teams, but at times may get a little too concerned with filling different positions. I also like that in season mode you can control as many teams as you want and even change the teams you are controlling during the season, I enjoy just going through a season and playing as different teams. Keeps the game fresh.

BOTTOM LINE

KELLY:
NFL2K2 is an exceptional game that gives all its competition a run for its money on the Xbox. Whether you’re new to the series or a long time fan, you should find all the good looks and outstanding gameplay that you’ll need this year.  

COOK:
It’s fun, it’s challenging, and it looks and sounds great. There is some room for improvement in the AI and the features, but when it comes to creating the illusion that you are really playing football, this is the game.

NFL 2K2 Score
-
-
-
-
-
-
out of 10