Home
Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 REVIEW

Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 Review (Xbox 360)

While soccer has been the most popular sport in the world for a long time, it has yet to really take hold in the US. It has been a hit with youths but that interest seems to gradually wane with age. With the World Cup in 2010, English Premier League games on ESPN and a rising star in Jozy Altidore, the sport may gain a much larger audience in North America.

Simply put, Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 has already sold millions overseas. Now it’s time to take the battle to the place where football has a different meaning.

On the Pitch

I can describe PES in one word: fun. I spent a lot of time with Winning Eleven 9, and it was not hard to get back into the swing of things with this title. I could imagine almost anybody enjoying this game without becoming overwhelmed and frustrated by the game mechanics. The joy of scoring a goal is here, and the sorrow of a near miss is in attendance as well. Extra time is tense, and in the games I played, scores were at a reasonable level.

Soccer is a game of field position and making your shots count. The AI plays accordingly, and so will you if you plan on being successful on higher difficulty levels. Goalkeeper intelligence can become a problem with any soccer game, but I didn’t notice any major incidents here.

The ball physics are superb. The ball will react realistically when it knocks off the crossbar, spins off the goalkeeper’s hands or skips into the net. Slide tackles are less effective, in a positive way. A smart player will not let the defense get close enough to even try one. There is also a noticeable difference between the highly rated and marginal players, as there should be.

A new feature is the card system, which is similar to the Madden cards that were a part of the PS2-era Madden games. Here you can set strategies that are based on your opponent, or you can give specific skills to certain players and hope they come through in the clutch. Some players have these skills already and they cannot be deactivated. The feature can’t hurt anything, but it doesn’t change the gameplay much either.

The gameplay does still have some noticeable flaws. For one, the shooting game could be a little more forgiving. Pushing the shot button will more times than not fire the ball into the second section and tapping it may not be enough to test the keeper -- it's a matter of finding that balance, which can be difficult. Speedy players are still a pain to defend against or score on as well. Either way, gameplay has never really been a problem in the Winning Eleven/Pro Evolution series. That’s still the case in 2010

Presentation

The graphics really picked up this year. The closeups after a stoppage are amazing. Player models are lifelike and easily recognizable (if the player is real of course). The stadiums are well done, too. But like in all soccer games, it's harder than it should be to appreciate the graphics because the camera zooms back during gameplay.

The commentary is much improved this year (the same duo of Lawrenson and Champion return once again). Jon Champion comments about everything on the pitch and reacts to the game naturally. He will even call on things he said a few minutes earlier to round out the comment. Mark Lawrenson is not so interesting. He speaks only after a replay or stoppage. But nobody should miss him during gameplay so it’s no big deal.

The menus are definitely catered to a more European audience. You may have trouble at first trying to figure out what you just did because the vocabulary is unfamiliar. On top of that, the menus are complicated to begin with. But if you break out your thesaurus, you may be in the clear.

Game Modes

The Master League is the Konami version of a franchise mode. You can choose any club in the game, each with its own budget. You can negotiate transfers with players, sign coaches, sponsors and the like. At first glance, it can be difficult to grasp everything because of the scope and the menus. It should get easier with time but there is still a lot to sift through.

Within this mode, you must worry about league games, youth teams, all of the different tournaments, international games with your players and anything else that comes up on and off the pitch. As with any franchise, you can simulate through your games -- of course they’re out of your control for the most part if you do so. This is a solid mode, if a tad uninviting.

Be a Legend mode has potential, but it does not entirely come through. The biggest issue I have with the mode is that it takes too long to build your player up. There are also no drills in the Be a Legend mode either. If you want to improve your skills, you will have to play through a bunch of 90 minute training games.

You can call for the ball in these games, but it may not come to you. A neat feature for beginners is the AutoMove, which can be triggered with the left bumper -- it will help move you in the correct direction. Other than that, there is no other feedback. Basically, you begin your career at 17, and if you get through every intrasquad match, you can play your club and international games. It’s a grueling mode. Essentially, the issue for me is that there is not enough enjoyment in the beginning to really make me want to play the mode more. In addition, compared to some other career modes out there, this all seems pretty bare bones.

The edit modes are bountiful, and you will need to use them if you want an authentic game. PES has a limited number of licenses, which makes these edit modes a must for die hards -- the US team is full of fakes and much of the EPL is missing. Most of the other leagues are nonexistent. The World Cup is also named something else. You will still find many of the world’s stars, such as Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney and the cover athlete Fernando Torres. And the game also does contain the rights to the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Europa League. You can even use pictures and sounds to change the game to your liking.

During my experiences, online play has been lag free. The game retains every measure of fun when you are playing online. Your opponents can be from any country and that can make for some interesting international matches. To combat the language barrier, there is a communication system that lets you type in your comments, or you can choose a preset message from a list. Profanity is allowed, but your message after losing 3-0 may not be understood.

Be a Legend mode makes an appearance online, but it’s not worth playing. You can only play with four other people against the AI. During my time online, there was also nobody playing during peak hours. That’s enough evidence of the quality of that mode.

Final Thoughts

Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 is a quality game of soccer, but it does not offer as much as the competition. For a casual fan who is only interested in fun, PES is a solid choice. The game looks great and the play on the field matches up with the visuals, but the extracurricular activities are not up to snuff. If you’re more interested in a franchise or career mode, look elsewhere for those fixes. However, if you have caught futbol fever and need a fix, you can never really go wrong with PES.

On the Pitch: It's rock solid on the pitch, but more importantly, it's also fun while maintaining a high amount of realism.

Graphics: Player closeups are striking, and the stadiums look great.

Sound Design: Commentary is on point, though, it may seem like a one-man booth. The crowd pretty much reacts to every call in a realistic fashion.

Online: Playing against someone in Peru with no lag is exciting. Be a Legend mode is not worth playing online.

Entertainment Value: Fun game of footy but the other modes need work.

Learning Curve: Simple control scheme makes it easy for casual players and veteran soccer players to get into the game.

Score: 7.5 (Good)

Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 Score
The thrill of the sport is intact.
Player models are impressive.
Overall, a fun game to play.
No licenses for most leagues, no US team.
Be a Legend is extremely limited.
Menus can be confusing.
out of 10
Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 LingeringRegime @ 11/20/09 05:21 AM
Maybe I'm crazy, but this game is very close to be the most enjoyable sports title this year. The Show is probably number 1, but this is a very close second imo.

# 2 Jste @ 11/20/09 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTFUNDAMENTALZ
Maybe I'm crazy, but this game is very close to be the most enjoyable sports title this year. The Show is probably number 1, but this is a very close second imo.
I dunno man? FIFA just seems to offer so much more. I like the gameplay in FIFA better. PES a good game to play but once it's all said and done I think FIFA takes this battle.

# 3 GSW @ 11/20/09 11:35 AM
which one should i get Fifa or this?... (360)

# 4 LingeringRegime @ 11/20/09 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jste
I dunno man? FIFA just seems to offer so much more. I like the gameplay in FIFA better. PES a good game to play but once it's all said and done I think FIFA takes this battle.
I feel the opposite. Here are the reasons I prefer PES...

1. No goal is ever the same.
2. You can save replays on your HDD.
3. You can pass the ball how you want to (I especially love the flow of the back heel passes. In FIFA I find myself saying: "I didn't pass it to that guy." It frustrates me to no end.)
4. Scoring a goal on the harder difficulties is really a challenge.
5. UEFA Champions League / Master League / Be A Legend

*I am an old-school FIFA Fan. I had the initial release in 1994 for the Sega Genesis.

# 5 LingeringRegime @ 11/20/09 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW
which one should i get Fifa or this?... (360)
Most guys will tell you FIFA, and if you are new to the genre maybe that is the right choice. But, if you want every game you play to feel unique I would say PES. But, it would be probably better to rent them both and see for yourself.

# 6 thanvar @ 11/20/09 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepost
These are the reasons I like PES 2010 over Fifa 10. I hit a 30 year volley with Torres last night. Probably wouldn't see that in Fifa. Not to mention I saw defenders and midfielders score goals. Fifa is cool, but I prefer Pro Evo this year.
Sorry, but I don't post here that often. I own both these amazing soccer games and I love them both dearly. But if I had to choose one of the two then this would be FIFA 10. That's my sincere opinion though...
In regards to the previous comment by dear Freepost I will answer with the videos of two goals I scored and recorded on the highest difficulty of FIFA 10:
1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG6MPAT_Sag
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1nYzVO61Zw
My final advice would be to rent both of the games and choose for yourself.

# 7 ezio @ 11/20/09 05:03 PM
Quote:
I feel the opposite. Here are the reasons I prefer PES...

1. No goal is ever the same.
2. You can save replays on your HDD.
3. You can pass the ball how you want to (I especially love the flow of the back heel passes. In FIFA I find myself saying: "I didn't pass it to that guy." It frustrates me to no end.)
4. Scoring a goal on the harder difficulties is really a challenge.
5. UEFA Champions League / Master League / Be A Legend

*I am an old-school FIFA Fan. I had the initial release in 1994 for the Sega Genesis.
I prefer PES for the same reasons listed above.

# 8 ps3veron @ 11/24/09 02:35 PM
FIFA is really good this year, but this manages to beat it.
2nd IMO to post patch NBA2K10

# 9 thomypacker @ 11/27/09 02:59 PM
Hi,

PES 10 is much better for offline (Master League rules) players because the AI in PES is very hard and much better like the one in FIFA 10. If someone interested to play the Bundesliga (not included in PES 10) visit this site and wait for the Matrix Patch:
http://www.moddingway.com/

greets Thomy

# 10 LingeringRegime @ 11/27/09 03:48 PM
Thomy which console are the mods for?

# 11 thomypacker @ 11/27/09 05:03 PM
Quote:
Thomy which console are the mods for?
Hi,

itīs for PC Version only. Do you have a 360? maybe there is a option file for 360. Using patches on Xbox is difficult. You need a modded Xbox. Iīve added you to my friends list. Let me search if i can find a option file with Bundesliga and then i will send you a pm at weekend.

greets Thomy

# 12 LingeringRegime @ 11/27/09 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomypacker
Hi,

itīs for PC Version only. Do you have a 360? maybe there is a option file for 360. Using patches on Xbox is difficult. You need a modded Xbox. Iīve added you to my friends list. Let me search if i can find a option file with Bundesliga and then i will send you a pm at weekend.

greets Thomy
Too bad, I have a PS3. Let me know if you come across any good OF for the North American Version.

# 13 cambo @ 11/28/09 01:25 PM
I loved the PES games for years. But they just seem a bit stale where as FIFA has actually managed to reinvent itself. I'm still not entirely sure which one I'll get for certain.

# 14 thomypacker @ 11/28/09 04:55 PM
Quote:
Too bad, I have a PS3. Let me know if you come across any good OF for the North American Version.
Hi,

iīve found some PS3 Option files, look here:

http://www.pesgaming.com/forumdisplay.php?f=300

itīs in english. Hope you will find the right one for you.

cya

Thomy

# 15 BuckeyeKeel @ 12/01/09 12:03 PM
So wait a sec, am I to understand that there won't be a Wii PES 2010? Bummer. >:^[/]

# 16 RandyBass @ 12/19/09 02:12 PM
Quote:
Maybe I'm crazy, but this game is very close to be the most enjoyable sports title this year...
Nah you're not crazy. PES is very well done this year, and one of the better sports games made for this generation of consoles. All of the press reviews don't reflect the way the game actually plays, as they tend to ignore that aspect too much. If reviews gave more weight to the way the game plays it would score very highly.

# 17 ThaReaper09 @ 12/24/09 03:56 AM
No, PES this year is pretty, well, disappointing.

*The A.I. cheats on every difficulty, more so on Top player
*The CPU dominates the game with the fast players, but when you get fast guys, all of a sudden, every is the same speed.
*Unlocking classic players. I can dig it, but not unlocking players that actually play! Newcastle has like 6 or 7 players that need to be unlocked. Why? Put them in the free agent section and let us find them, not waste our time winning the Europa league.
*Free Kicks suck, as do penalties.
*Commentary could and should be miles better
*Keepers suck
*Tactics/sliders/cards have little to no effect whatsoever
*No weather
*Passes, about 65% of the time, never go where you want them to

Some of these are serious issues with the game that makes it just awful. Some, you could say, semantics. Now on to the biggest issue, outside of A.I. of course. Supposedly the crown jewel of PES, Master League.

I thought ML would be fantastic this year. Using currency, having realistic transfer windows. But it is absolutely awful. Let me just list the ways:

*Inability to make offers to players.

You can only do this after your scout has already made one. WHAT'S THE POINT? We should be able to say: "Alright Andres (Iniesta), here's the deal. 4 years, $60 mil. Take it or leave it."

*Inability to offer trades to teams

Absolute joke. 3 years they've had to make ML great, and they've absolutely **** the bed. We should be able to do something like: Offer: Nani. for: Pedro. Something simple, but effective.

*****ed up transfers

In one window, Barcelona signed Gigi Buffon AND Alexandre Pato. That is bull****. I can't even sign Michael Essien or Andres Iniesta in 3 windows, let alone 1. But here's the hilarious thing. My first year, I signed Xavi. The original offer was 3 years, $61 mil. I change it to 4 years, $41mil, and he accepts. Then in the Janurary transfer window, I sign Robinho for $63mil. Next year in the pre season transfer window, I sign Yoann Gourcuff for $71 mil. So what am I getting at? The A.I. gets an unfair advantage, on the pitch and in the clubhouse.

*International call-ups

Another A.I. exploit. You rest your best players because they are tired from being on international duty, but the team you play has their starters out there. Man City had Robinho, Bellamy, SWP, Tevez, Given, and Lescott all starting, playing they just came off a break. Terrible, absolutely awful. Another thing, the game ****s up. The only goalkeep that I can use after IC is Ben Foster. It's awful because VDS is the only keeper that doesn't go on IC. Players like Paul Scholes, VDS, Michael Owen, who aren't on their respective national clubs in the game, go on IC. But players like Patrice Evra and Anderson, who do appear for their respect NC's in the game, don't go.

# 18 BrianFifaFan @ 02/06/10 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorismary
Just played the demo and WOW ! such a DIFFERENT GAME then Ea .
Players look awesome and gameplay seems very natural .
? if I get this can we share rosters online or anything like this ,if not hows the player creator can i make dead on players or is there any site shares info Thanks as Im just blown away by this game .
If you've got a decent rig, go PC. The game is so much better with the mod I'm using on PC. If you like it now, you'll LOVE it!

# 19 ezio @ 02/06/10 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorismary
Nah I dont but this game really plays nice .
I always heard of its gameplay and they added great graphics this year the only thing missing is the players .
If you are on the ps3 you can find Patches that have the player names updated etc. You just need to copy all the files to the ps3.

# 20 Steven547 @ 02/07/10 12:00 PM
Still can't believe I'm undecided on which Soccer game to buy this year! But the whole idea of downloading updates for names, etc...is leaning me towards PES2010. Plus, you can actually coach a game in PES which I think is pretty cool and would eliminate any "CPU" cheats because it's CPU vs CPU.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.