Home
MLB '10: The Show REVIEW

MLB '10: The Show Review (PS3)

The month of March is by far my favorite time of the entire year. Why? Because March signifies the return of baseball. I have been playing the game ever since I was old enough to walk; I still pick up a pack of baseball cards whenever I get the opportunity; I viewed my trip to Fenway Park as a religious experience; And I am one of those twisted individuals who will watch all 162 games of my beloved Detroit Tigers (and even game 163 last season, which I do not want to talk about). March is the month of baseball's rebirth.

March also happens to be the month baseball games are released, an added bonus that makes the month even sweeter in my eyes. I have been gaming for as long as I have been interested in baseball, so naturally the two would go hand in hand. I am proud to say that I have played quite possibly every baseball game ever created. From Hardball to High Heat to the Tiger Electronics monochrome baseball game, I have experienced them all, loving many, despising a few, and with many others falling into various levels in between.

Knowing this I am sure it will come as a surprise when I say that I was a bit underwhelmed by Sony's MLB 09: The Show last year. The game was most definitely a solid overall baseball title, but my biggest issue with the game was that after playing the '08 version to death, there was no aspect of the '09 game that really compelled me to invest a great deal of time into the title. I never felt that addictive pull as a baseball fanatic and hardcore sports gamer to keep playing.

But when I was told that I would be handling the review of MLB 10: The Show this year, I was definitely excited for the opportunity. With the promise of revamped real-time presentation, a new broadcast camera angle in the field, numerous RttS improvements (including the ability to call a game as a catcher) and upgrades to the series' awful throwing meter, MLB 10 seemed to have enough new content to differentiate itself from its 2009 iteration. So does MLB 10 deliver that elusive pull for this baseball junkie? Read on to find out.

Graphics and Animations

Simply put, MLB 10: The Show is gorgeous. Never in all my years of gaming have I witnessed a sports title this beautiful. Player models look amazing, player faces are spot on (including lesser-known players like Clete Thomas), the way the stadiums are lit during both day and night games is stunning and the particle effects from balls and players making contact with the diamond’s dirt need to be seen to be believed.

The only weakness on the graphical side of things comes in the form of the smaller details at some of the stadiums, especially ones in the outfield. Looking at the rock fountain at Angel Stadium of Anaheim or the Tigers on the scoreboard at Comerica Park really had me scratching my head. After all, how could such a beautiful game overlook such key nuances to specific ballparks? I am sure the developers were forced to scale back due to processing power, but I still cannot help but be a bit disappointed every time I see a low-res stadium landmark.

The game features thousands of unique and context-specific animations that are eerily lifelike. Batting stances are ridiculously real looking and player swings are fluid through the zone, even on check swings (there are multiple types of check swings this year as well). Better than the batting animations are how fielders react when the ball is put into play. When a ball is hit into play, you will see your favorite players move and react just as they would in real life.

If the superb batting and fielding animations are not enough to wow the most jaded of gamers, then I recommend they spend some time in the game's marvelous Replay Vault. I am sure that after they spend some time in the Vault, even those gamers will have to give in to The Show's graphical magic, especially after taking a look at some of the jaw dropping character animations that are sometimes missed by the in-game camera angles.

One perfect example of this happened to me while playing a game at Fenway. I managed to hit a deep fly to right with Dustin Pedroia that just hooked foul. The game camera immediately cut back to Pedroia at the dish who was ready to face down another pitch. But upon further review in the game's instant-replay mode, after Pedroia hit the ball, he immediately began a Carlton Fisk-like fair ball arm swing, which was shortly followed by his first-base coach. As the ball was called foul, Pedroia, the first-base coach and even the bench players (who were all standing at the edge of the dugout) all lowered their shoulders and heads in disappointment. Moments like these were frequent during my time with the game, which made me want to play inning after inning just to see what type of glorious eye candy I might experience next.

Presentation

The developers added a nice touch by allowing users to customize their type of post-pitch presentation. Gamers are now able to choose between a broadcast-style presentation, a real-time player-focused presentation devoid of announcers and broadcast replays or an option that falls in between the two. This addition may not be revolutionary, but it certainly is nice to customize the aura of your virtual hardball experience.

Matt Vasgersian, Dave Campbell and Rex Hudler all return to the broadcast booth for MLB 10, and the trio is arguably the worst part of the game's presentation. Much of the commentary is repetitive, monotone and flat out boring. There seems to be little chemistry between the three announcers, and exciting in-game moments never seem to be called with the passion and intensity that they deserve. I would even go as far as to recommend turning off the in-game commentary when playing this game -- the fantastic ambient stadium noises created by vendors, hecklers and well wishers of their favorite team easily trump the commentators.

In-game replays, highlight packages and pop-up statistics/overlays are all well implemented in the game, and the real-time player interactions add a lot of personality to the game in between pitches. Whether it is players joking around with one another, reveling in a great play or visually expressing their disgust with a call, the game truly feels alive more so than any other sports game I have played. In one instance, Johnny Damon and Carlos Zambrano engaged in a heated dispute with one another after Damon grounded out to short. I am not quite sure what caused the spat between the two, but my inner baseball geek cannot help but smile knowing that I have a virtual feud going on between them in my game's franchise mode.

The final presentation aspect that deserves to be touched on, and praised, is the implementation of the game's Movie Maker. It is now easy to sort specific highlights that have been saved to the game's Replay Vault and seamlessly integrate them together to be saved on the PS3’s XMB. Once saved to the system, these highlights can be uploaded to YouTube or stored on a memory stick. The Movie Maker operation is far more streamlined than other similar features that require you to upload the media to a Web site for download later, and it also has enough depth to keep even the most experienced ESPN producer busy.

Gameplay

For as strong as the graphics, animations and presentation are in MLB 10, the gameplay itself suffers a few minor hiccups that prevent it from being on par with the aforementioned aspects of the game.

Minor gameplay bugs initially plagued the game out of the box, such as catchers frequently overthrowing first base on dropped third strikes, some odd physics when the ball would hit the wall, and the inability to field the ball on hits that would drop directly in front of the catcher. Thankfully, a patch was released shortly after release that fixed these issues and several other small presentation and save glitches. In addition to the bugs already patched, I have encountered some additional bugs, most noticeably an issue resulting from my batters being hit by a pitch with multiple runners on base. The result is that the game becomes stuck in an endless cut scene that forces a me to reboot the game entirely.

It is discouraging to see these types of issues (along with a couple franchise and RttS issues that I will get to in a bit) in a top-notch title like MLB 10, and I just cannot help but be disappointed that some of these issues were not ironed out before the game shipped.

Pitching

Bugs aside, by far my biggest issue with the game is the pitching -- the gameplay mechanics that go into MLB 10’s pitching to be exact.

The problem with meter pitching in The Show is its inability to differentiate between poor pitchers and aces. All the meter requires is a careful eye and a quick finger, and then at that point the Chad Durbins of the world can usually be put right up there with the Tim Lincecums of the world. This coupled with the fact that meter pitching takes you out of the immersion of the game -- you are concentrating on the meter itself instead of the actual delivery to home plate -- makes this aspect of The Show feel incredibly antiquated.

However, the meter pitching is well done at a mechanical level, and it is also worth mentioning that a "Classic" pitching mechanic is included in the game (the longer you hold the pitch button, the harder the pitch is delivered). Either way, the point is that since the series has raised the bar so high in so many ways, I would expect the developers to be raising the bar for pitching as well.

Beyond the meter itself, there are a couple positives to be said about the overall pitching in MLB 10. I like the fact that the developers added in the ability to throw eight warm-up pitches when you bring a new pitcher into the game. Sure, there is the option to skip this ritual and start pitching to live batters, but there is something undeniably cool about coming into a game Henry Rowengartner-style and cranking off some 100 mph fastballs to intimidate the on-deck batter. The pickoff system has also been overhauled, allowing player-controlled pitchers to try a casual, quick or deceptive move -- all the moves are tied into the style of button press while holding the pickoff modifier (R2).

Fielding

Fielding feels as solid as ever in MLB 10, though, the promise of a revamped throwing meter feels a bit shallow. The meter feels a bit more responsive than the one in MLB 08 and '09, but I do not feel that much of a differentiation between guys like Ichiro and Manny. The only other real complaint I had with fielding is that the developers actually made Carlos Guillen a serviceable left fielder (if you are from Detroit you know that is an impossibility).

Beyond the meter, it seems like the developers spent a good deal of time working on more realistic ball physics -- the result is that fielding ground balls is actually fun, and there is a very rewarding feeling associated with stabbing a ball at the hot corner and wheeling it over to first for a highlight-reel play.

Also, as a word of warning, be wary if you use the new broadcast camera when fielding. The camera is incredibly disorienting (at least at first) and may lead to more frustration than it is worth. I applaud the developers for adding this new angle into the game, but it does not hold up well when you have to make a split-second decision with your fielder.

Hitting

At the plate, MLB 10 seems to have tweaked the hitting engine from MLB 09. My biggest complaint with last year's game was that the hitting felt a bit floaty and predetermined -- even when I was going with the pitch there were times when the ball would react unnaturally. I am very happy to report that hitting in this season's title feels very natural and the bat on ball physics are spot on. The left analog-stick influence also seems to be a bit more forgiving this season, allowing for a split second of additional time to adjust your batter's arms through the zone for the perfect contact swing.

The best part about hitting this year is that there is finally the ability to adjust hitting difficulty independently from pitching difficulty. This means that if you are struggling at the plate, but do not want to sacrifice challenge on the mound, you are free to adjust the game to your specific skill set. In fact, MLB 10 offers a ton of customization in terms of how the game will challenge you, and how easily the specific options are implemented is a dream come true. As someone who hates playing around with sliders, I welcome the ability to adjust specific difficulty levels or make a CPU pitcher throw more strikes when I am at bat with the simple tweak of a menu rather than the monotonous tuning of a horizontal bar.

Road to the Show

If you have played RttS before, then you know what to expect in MLB 10’s RttS. Outside of the ability to create a catcher, customize his gear, and call an entire game from behind the plate, there really is not anything groundbreaking here. Catcher mode is a nice addition, but unless you played catcher at some point in your life -- in which case you have a screw loose to begin with -- you will quickly tire of this mode and yearn for the days of playing a more exciting position in the game.

Now, I did encounter a few freezes when simulating through the months. This issue could cause many gamers (myself included) extreme frustrations because they may not be able to fully enjoy a specific game mode until an eventual patch is released.

Beyond that quirk, it is also worth mentioning that there are some new training mini-games to play around with, and you will take batting practice before a game if you are starting (very fun). But, yes, the meat and potatoes of the mode remain the same -- including the long load times between games.

I am happy to say that the games I managed to play online were mostly lag free. I did notice a bit of instability for a few batters, but the overall online component of this game is much improved over last year's outing. Online leagues are once again included in MLB 10, and the fact that online play is mostly lag free means that this may finally be the year where full seasons are actually played with groups of friends and strangers alike.

Franchise

I was able to delve into the franchise mode of the game at length and was pleased with what I saw in terms of statistics, free agency and trades. This being said, let me issue a disclaimer: I am not the type of guy that gets upset when I see a star player traded or an unrealistic free-agent signing. Luckily, this year's game allows you to control all 30 teams within franchise mode, so if you are unlike me (probably the same type of guy that likes to play as a catcher -- I'm sorry I don't mean that), then you are in luck.

One drawback is that the star player potential ratings are way too low for some reason (but this was fixed in a roster update this week). Beyond that issue, there are too many minor-league players that have an "A" rating for potential. There have also been reports of user-controlled teams having trades completed for them and some freezing in some stadiums. These issues are preventing some dedicated franchise gamers from starting their seasons right away, and it is believed that a patch for these issues will not come until at least April.

Beyond those hiccups, the menu interface in franchise mode is easy to navigate, statistically the game held up well, and the amount of depth involved with roster management will make aspiring Billy Beanes very happy. If I have any other complaint with the mode, it is that it feels sterile, especially after playing a nearly identical mode in MLB 08 and '09. Basically, I think the mode could use some presentation upgrades when not within games to remove this feeling.

Final Thoughts

At the end of the day, MLB 10: The Show is a baseball fan's dream come true. Not only does the game completely capture everything that makes America’s pastime so great, it also has polished up many of the issues that bogged down MLB 09 in my eyes.

Even with this being said, this was one of my most difficult games to score. On one hand the graphics and presentation are absolutely brilliant, but at the same time the actual on-field gameplay itself, while rock solid, has really failed to innovate over the last three years. As I said before, with the developers taking the looks of this game to the next level, it is disappointing that they have not looked into taking the gameplay mechanics to that level as well.

MLB 10 may be a victim of its own success, and it may seem wrong criticizing a development team for tweaking what works while playing it safe and not introducing new elements and innovations. Unfortunately, I just cannot shake the feeling that this conservative approach is holding the series back and somewhat stunted MLB 10 from reaching its true potential.

But MLB 10: The Show will still be in my PS3 well through the end of the Fall Classic, and it is sure to contend for 2010 game of the year honors here at OS. I truly am in love with this game as a baseball purist and a gamer. I only hope that MLB 11 introduces some new gameplay mechanics so that this franchise can ascend to the next level.

On the Field: The meter pitching really holds the game back from complete greatness. Fielding feels great thanks to improved ball physics and hitting has been fined tuned from '09.

Graphics: As close as it comes to heading down to the local ballpark to watch your favorite team play -- the game is worth $60 on graphics alone.

Sound Design: Awful commentary is saved by amazing crowd noises, the crack of the bat and heckling Yankee haters.

Entertainment Value: If you love baseball, you will not be disappointed. RttS, franchise, HR Derby, manager mode and the best looking animations/presentation I have seen in a sports title all add up to create a great experience.

Learning Curve: Adjustable difficulty settings for both hitting and pitching allow for less experienced gamers to ease into the experience. Even so, the game prides itself on the nuances of baseball, so be prepared to understand the the finer points of the game if you want to get the most out of MLB 10.

Online: A mostly lag-free Show experience plus online leagues, what more could you ask for?

MLB '10: The Show Score
Graphics and presentation very realistic
Accessible game for all
The movie maker feature is great
The announcing is iffy
Load times are long during RttS
Meter pitching feels a bit dated
out of 10
MLB '10: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 41 lewski19 @ 03/12/10 12:50 AM
I am sure I will get ripped for saying this, but this game is not anywhere close to MVP 05, this game is slightly better than last year's game, which was good. It has a couple glaring errors that were present last year and still have not been addressed.

First, the baserunning is quite possibly the worst in video game baseball history. To many runners get picked off -whether trying to steal or not, and by righties and lefties. It is insane that in a three game series Carl Crawford was picked off 6 of the 8 times he got on base (only 3 of the 6 was I actually trying to steal and 2 of them I did not even have any extra lead, also I never take more than one step bc the computer then just throws over till you stop).

The number of times runners get picked off is just stupid, and it leads in to the other flaw in the running game. The other flaw is that runners stealing can slide and be half way over the base and will be called out. This error drives me nuts, it is almost as bad as the useless check swing system that seems to be a complete coin-flip. I get that people get thrown out stealing, but usually if they are lying on second base when the ball gets there they are safe.

The other baserunning problem is balls down the line. You can hit a ball into the corner and get thrown out going for a double with all but the absolute fastest runners. It seems to be a result largely of that fact that every computer controlled right and left fielder plays the ball off the wall or down the line perfectly, yet also still manages to cover the gap perfectly as well, not sure how that's possible, and then also has an incredibly accurate arm.

Balls into the corner are doubles, balls down the line are usually doubles in general, unless the of is way over toward the line, or in the case of MLB The Show maybe all computer of's are Bugs Bunny.

The other major flaw is in the in-game fast forward where the computer team is amazingly adept at 6 and 7 run innings. In playing 20 games using fast forward for all my pitching (playing with Atlanta's staff with Cliff Lee instead of Kawakami, so a pretty good staff) the computer scored 6 or 7 runs in an inning 11 times. Somebody might wanna research how many times major league teams scored that many runs in an inning last year, bc I am betting it was nowhere near the rate of one every other game. If you are not willing to program the statistics to correctly handle fast forward then do not have it in the game.

Sadly, stuff like this ruins many games for me. I get frustrated with an inability to play a pressure style for fear of getting picked off or thrown out going for a double, or disheartened when my staff gives up 7 runs every couple innings, and there is no reason to finish the game.

I know that these games are never going to be perfect, but these seem like pretty basic problems. The baserunning and pickoffs especially. The saddest part is that if they had just left the sliders from the 2008 game in the game where we could adjust everything to our liking most of these could be fixed for me. I could slow down there outfielders, etc. Unfortunately, last year, SCEA decided that they would tell us how to play the game and drastically limited our choices. I cannot afford to fix the universal sliders, my only option, to these parameters bc the cpu already gets its doubles, stolen bases, and never gets picked off so it would just further hurt my cause.

I think it's a okay to good game, but for it to be great the basics have to be done better.

Also, on a side note, could somebody please tell me why every time you hit a ground ball foul to the stands some idiot falls onto the field. I know it happens, and I like the attempt to create more fan interaction, but not every time please.

# 42 CarolinaBlue704 @ 03/12/10 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis72
For one they should have never given madden that high of score. At this stage with the bugs MLB is a 8.5 IMO while Madden never should have be given more than a 7.5. Actually no EA game sports game (basketball or football) should be given more than that considering there motto to fixing issues is wait till next year.
Which is exactly why I said OS dropped the ball.They fell into the Madden hype,and I expect more than that from OS.

I have no problem with OS giving The Show 10 an 8.5,although I don't agree with the reviewers reasons for doing so.In my opinion,bugs are the only thing holding The Show 10 back.

How any reviewer can knock a game for lacking innovation is beyond me.It's 2010,innovation in video games is basically dead.And I don't expect that to change until technology gets better.The closet thing I've seen to innovation on "next gen" consoles,is Little Big Planet.But even that games concept has been done before.

Fact is,The Show 10 is the closet I've ever seen a sports title to perfection.But yet it gets knocked for lacking innovation?And the commentary being stale? Sports gamers these days are so spoiled....To each his own.

# 43 SDwinder @ 03/12/10 02:13 AM
Based on on-field gameplay, I give it a 9.5 for all the obvious reasons. Anyone that cannot see the improvements in 10 vs 09 for gameplay is really missing the boat. The presentation with the TV cams alone is fantastic. I am seeing new realistic animations and gameplay outcomes that are absolutely the best in a baseball game ever! I have always loved the pitcher/batter interface. The batting is as good as it gets. I hate the Swingstick in other games. I really despised the Pitching interface in the 2K games with the ridiculous Meatball, but 2K10's pitching works very well this year and would like to see that implemented in The Show for 2011.

I think the commentary is very good. I am hearing things I never heard the last two years. Unfortunately, I am hearing some glaring bugs once in a while too.

If I was a franchise or sim only guy, I would probably be upset with all the issues, but my main focus is the gameplay on the field. It has never been done better in any baseball game, and is MUCH better than the last two years of The Show. Don't be fooled by those who don't get it. This is a fantastic playing baseball game on the field.

# 44 texasgmr @ 03/12/10 11:48 AM
Great job! Nice review.

# 45 Dreifort @ 03/12/10 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinks
What I find funny about sports game reviews is the games are always compared to last year's versions and that's it. Madden 10 is better than Madden 09. MLB 10 isn't much of a jump from MLB 09.

I haven't played a baseball game since MLB 2K7. I don't care about MLB 09 vs MLB 10. All I care about is MLB 10 as a PS3 game in 2010. How good is the game in the life of the PS3? We need reviewers that don't assume we've played last year's iteration. This game stands alone for me. Review it that way. Or at least present that point of view.

I would guess near 75% of those buying MLB10 are doing so because they are prev purchasers of the MLB: The Show series. So a review comparing 10 to 09 makes a lot of sense when the target audience is made up primarily of MLB09 owners.

# 46 lewski19 @ 03/12/10 06:10 PM
new problem I just found...

You know how it tells you to switch positions if you want to leave a pinch hitter for the pitcher in the game? Well, every time I try to do that I get told that I cannot change positions with the pitcher, therefore I can never leave the pinch hitter in the game. Come on Sony, this is common sense stuff, did you even play this game before releasing it?

# 47 Braves Fan @ 03/12/10 08:47 PM
Well here are my thoughts on the review and the game itself.

Pitching Meter - don't use it and I don't care for it. I'm a classic pitching guy, always have been. I don't like the extra stuff on the screen, it distracts me. When I'm playing I want it to look like I'm watching a game. That's why I don't use the guess pitch feature, strike zone, PCI, or any other things that take away from the beauty of the game. I am a x button swinger only, always have been and always will be. I hope they never take that option away.

Franchise mode is what is holding this game back from being absolutely amazing. This is what I want the development team to spend all their time focusing on for 2011. Gameplay is not that bad, there are a few glitches here or there but overall it's pretty good. Franchise needs all their attention imo. The option needs to be there where you can go with a single team franchise and compete vs the CPU. Realistic moves need to be made, logic needs to be applied, payrolls need to be accurate, lineups need to be right, injuries need to be realistic as well. I don't know how they can get it to work right but it needs a lot of improvement. I can deal with the work arounds right now but I'm hoping next year they won't be necessary.

The review was solid, it focused on the positives and negatives and at the end of the day encouraged gamers to go out and buy it. It was honest and to the point, didn't come off as praising or bashing the game imo.

# 48 ballin095 @ 03/12/10 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewski19
I am sure I will get ripped for saying this, but this game is not anywhere close to MVP 05, this game is slightly better than last year's game, which was good. It has a couple glaring errors that were present last year and still have not been addressed.

First, the baserunning is quite possibly the worst in video game baseball history. To many runners get picked off -whether trying to steal or not, and by righties and lefties. It is insane that in a three game series Carl Crawford was picked off 6 of the 8 times he got on base (only 3 of the 6 was I actually trying to steal and 2 of them I did not even have any extra lead, also I never take more than one step bc the computer then just throws over till you stop).

The number of times runners get picked off is just stupid, and it leads in to the other flaw in the running game. The other flaw is that runners stealing can slide and be half way over the base and will be called out. This error drives me nuts, it is almost as bad as the useless check swing system that seems to be a complete coin-flip. I get that people get thrown out stealing, but usually if they are lying on second base when the ball gets there they are safe.

The other baserunning problem is balls down the line. You can hit a ball into the corner and get thrown out going for a double with all but the absolute fastest runners. It seems to be a result largely of that fact that every computer controlled right and left fielder plays the ball off the wall or down the line perfectly, yet also still manages to cover the gap perfectly as well, not sure how that's possible, and then also has an incredibly accurate arm.

Balls into the corner are doubles, balls down the line are usually doubles in general, unless the of is way over toward the line, or in the case of MLB The Show maybe all computer of's are Bugs Bunny.

The other major flaw is in the in-game fast forward where the computer team is amazingly adept at 6 and 7 run innings. In playing 20 games using fast forward for all my pitching (playing with Atlanta's staff with Cliff Lee instead of Kawakami, so a pretty good staff) the computer scored 6 or 7 runs in an inning 11 times. Somebody might wanna research how many times major league teams scored that many runs in an inning last year, bc I am betting it was nowhere near the rate of one every other game. If you are not willing to program the statistics to correctly handle fast forward then do not have it in the game.

Sadly, stuff like this ruins many games for me. I get frustrated with an inability to play a pressure style for fear of getting picked off or thrown out going for a double, or disheartened when my staff gives up 7 runs every couple innings, and there is no reason to finish the game.

I know that these games are never going to be perfect, but these seem like pretty basic problems. The baserunning and pickoffs especially. The saddest part is that if they had just left the sliders from the 2008 game in the game where we could adjust everything to our liking most of these could be fixed for me. I could slow down there outfielders, etc. Unfortunately, last year, SCEA decided that they would tell us how to play the game and drastically limited our choices. I cannot afford to fix the universal sliders, my only option, to these parameters bc the cpu already gets its doubles, stolen bases, and never gets picked off so it would just further hurt my cause.

I think it's a okay to good game, but for it to be great the basics have to be done better.

Also, on a side note, could somebody please tell me why every time you hit a ground ball foul to the stands some idiot falls onto the field. I know it happens, and I like the attempt to create more fan interaction, but not every time please.
interesting post there, nice read

# 49 Bellsprout @ 03/12/10 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewski19
Considering I have Casey McGehee in the top 5 in the MLB in doubles in my Franchise, I feel like you must be doing something wrong. The only time I get thrown out going to second is if the outfielder cuts the ball off before it hits the wall or if it's a freaking bullet that gets down the line too quickly.

# 50 Braves Fan @ 03/12/10 09:45 PM
I never played MVP '05, what was so great about it? I've watched videos on youtube and I was not impressed at all. Everyone keeps talking about what a legendary game it was though.

I'd much rather play '10 than that one, even with all the glitches.

# 51 lewski19 @ 03/12/10 10:00 PM
maybe i am, and if you can fix it please tell, but it happens to me all the time, happened earlier today with nate mclouth on a ball down the line and up against the wall foul towards the corner at turner field. never seen anybody thrown out from there in a game and i have covered the braves for a year, along with living in atlanta my whole life.

# 52 lewski19 @ 03/12/10 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
1) This belongs in the Bugs and Glitches thread.

2) Workaround here:
[/color]
thanks, i figured somebody had already had that problem, and i posted it in the bugs and glitches section at sony, but i did not think about that here, thanks for letting me know about the update, but i already have that patch and it is still doing the same thing. tried the work around, but it does not work after the fact, hopefully they will get it fixed with the patch coming in april. thanks.

# 53 lewski19 @ 03/12/10 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braves Fan
I never played MVP '05, what was so great about it? I've watched videos on youtube and I was not impressed at all. Everyone keeps talking about what a legendary game it was though.

I'd much rather play '10 than that one, even with all the glitches.
you may be right about mvp 05, i have not played it in over 2 years and we all tend to remember things as better than they actually were. however, i do know that i found far fewer glaring issues when i played mvp. i have only ever posted complaints about 3 games. last years' mlb the show and this years' being two of them. not they the games are bad, far from it, but it just frustrates me how close it is to being great if not for these seemingly obvious problems.

# 54 Braves Fan @ 03/12/10 11:59 PM
Why did MVP stop? Why didn't they continue to make games?

Franchise sounded awesome man, I'd love for the Show to pick up on that but the way I look at it they are adding a little bet every year. Last year they brought us 40 man roster and arbitration hearings, this year they added waiver claims and a hold over Class A roster. Who's to say what's next? Maybe they need to fix their current franchise though before they worry about adding anything else.

# 55 teebee @ 03/13/10 12:47 AM
weak review; prob the lowest score in the universe for this near perfect game

# 56 lewski19 @ 03/13/10 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by osubeavs721
i still have it on pc and play it, if the show had its franchise mode the show would be hands down the best baseball game ever. in MVP 05 you get control of MLB, AAA, AA, A (and its a full 24 or 25 man roster and you can play the games) So when you draft guys they played rookie ball aka A ball and moved up. Its rare a real life pitcher throws the ball exactly where he wants it everytime
Im a fan of The Show's meter pitching, i love it. I love how its accurate yet inaccurate.
Pitching is better in The Show. Hell i like the fielding meter in the circle, you have to adapt to it, thats nice.
Batting is better in MVP, the show 09 was the first one i bought and this years game was the first time i actually got a bloop single, mvp did that in 2005.
Again Franchise is waaaay better.
To me MVP is 1A and The show is 1A.5, its that close.
If you have never played it, then dont judge it on videos on youtube. Its a really great game, so is the show. I play both and enjoy both still and MVP 05 is the only game i can still bother playing from last gen, thats how well its held up
i will add one thing that i thought about while playing The Show last night. In MVP there was more reward for getting the count in your favor and for tiring out a pitcher. MVP would let you know occasionally exactly where a hung pitch was going to be, provided you worked the count and tired the pitcher/ guessed correctly, which i liked. in The Show there is very little advantage to working ahead in the count or tiring a pitcher out, bc they almost become more wild and unpredictable as much as they become more likely to hang a ball.

# 57 moemoe24 @ 03/13/10 04:11 PM
Christian.....why do you say it lacks innovation?? Its baseball...not a lot to innovate. SCEA perfected it in 2008 so theres not much more they can do except to work on the presentation and other small things. I assume when you say it lacks innovation or they play it conservative I'm sure you are wondering why a hit stick isnt in the game or goofy gimmicks like that. This game is perfect the way it is...no reason to try to add silly features when you already have what works. Poor review!!!

# 58 lewski19 @ 03/14/10 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
1) This belongs in the Bugs and Glitches thread.

2) Workaround here:
[/color]
It still does not work even with the first patch, and you cannot choose double switch after pinch hitting or while hitting, so the go around is not workable either.

# 59 Super Glock @ 03/14/10 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moemoe24
Christian.....why do you say it lacks innovation?? Its baseball...not a lot to innovate. SCEA perfected it in 2008 so theres not much more they can do except to work on the presentation and other small things. I assume when you say it lacks innovation or they play it conservative I'm sure you are wondering why a hit stick isnt in the game or goofy gimmicks like that. This game is perfect the way it is...no reason to try to add silly features when you already have what works. Poor review!!!
I would have to agree that this was a very poor review as I agree with the reasons stated above.

# 60 palmer08 @ 05/14/10 12:22 PM
MLB 10 The Show is a great game a bit more better than MLB 09 but a huge issue into franchise mode give me sometime the desire to start a franchise in the '09 version. I love to spend time with my team to add promotion, if players are happy etc. But in 2010 version, the lineup are mess up after the Spring Training. Every teams lineup and starting rotation are wrong and I think that I'm not alone to don't want to go in every teams to have real lineup and rotation. Also, I like to see score in real time into stadium scoreboard but when you're controlling 30 teams, this feature don't running and I don't want to play a 162 games season without any scores on scoreboard.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.