Home
Backbreaker REVIEW

Backbreaker Review (Xbox 360)

When you see the number 12, what do you think of? A dozen eggs? The months of a year? Well, how about my first 12 possessions in a Human vs. CPU game of Backbreaker: fumble, fumble, fumble, interception, interception, field goal, interception, interception, interception, interception, fumble and interception.

Simply put, Backbreaker has turned a sports gamer’s nightmare into a reality by failing to live up to its hype.

During the last couple of years, everyone in the football universe has been talking about whether or not Backbreaker would serve as a solid alternate to the EA franchise. The game was delayed multiple times while wars were waged on message boards all around the world, but now that the game has finally been released, it is clear that not even an extra year of development time could have fixed this title.

I say that because the gameplay in Backbreaker is its biggest downfall by far. It does not even feel as realistic as an old NFL Blitz title. Yes, the game is something new, but it cannot hide its major flaws.

One problem deals with the amount of turnovers that are committed in each game. I’m not talking about three turnovers a game. No, I’m talking about turnover numbers that can range from 10 to 20 per game. Here are just two quarterback stat lines I have witnessed:

(5-28), 7 INT
(1-16), 12 INT

That's really bad.

The game feels like it is moving at a lightning fast speed, which can very frustrating when you first start out. However, after you get the hang of the speed, you will start to understand how to cope with it much more easily. The camera angle also adds to the initial confusion. (For those who have not seen any media for the game, the camera zooms in on the player you are controlling.) Since the camera is so close to your player, it is hard to see what is going on around the field, which is both good and bad. It adds to the realism of an actual football game by giving the AI a chance to blindside you, but when you’re on defense, the camera angle makes it tough to keep up with the ball.

On offense, passing the ball is easy right up until you throw interception after interception. And if you don’t throw an interception, then you’ll get sacked and drop the ball while attempting a forward pass -- but have no fear, that forward pass will be ruled a fumble. When running the ball, expect a loss of five yards or a 50-yard touchdown.

While playing defense, the general issue is the aforementioned camera angle. I do enjoy the camera angle to an extent on defense because it really feels like a brand new experience, but again, it is hard to see what is going on during a play.

The graphics in Backbreaker are nothing special. All the stadiums and player models seem identical sans a few different traits. The players do not really stand out as individuals because they are just a bunch of athletes running around with visors. Basically, the graphics do not really hurt the game, but they do not help the game either.

Beyond the experience on the field, there is actually a reason why Backbreaker will be a huge hit one day: the customization options. If you have the desire and patience to create anything, from your high school team to a college team to even the entire NFL, then you have tapped into what Backbreaker is all about. You get to create and re-create anything you want. When you start a season, you create your own league, add in your own teams or the pre-made ones, and then you place them however you see fit. It is hard to give the customizable features just one short paragraph in this review, but this is one area of the game you just need to appreciate and explore. Make sure you call in sick to work or skip class to toy around with this element of the game.

The other mode in this game that will make Backbreaker a force to be reckoned with (assuming the gameplay gets overhauled in the future) is Tackle Alley (TA). TA is one of the most intriguing and addicting game modes I have ever played. You are faced with the challenge of reaching the end zone while using various dodge moves to avoid your opponents. There are 100 waves in this mode, and these waves begin to get very complicated once you make it to wave 50. If you beat the final wave, you unlock a hidden team, which is presumably the best team in the game. (For those of you with the Backbreaker iPhone application, TA is identical to it -- this version just has a ton of added flare.)

Beware of playing Backbreaker online because it has already turned into a big cheese fest. While the servers are very impressive and stable, the opponents really ruin the online experience. "Cheesing" in Backbreaker is very easy to do because of the game speed. After you snap the ball online, you will be sacked early and often. However, turnovers are not as rampant online because you are playing a real person rather than the unintelligent CPU-controlled teams.

Final Thoughts

Overall, Backbreaker is another game that had all the hype in the world, but now that it is out, it cannot get out of the way of its own hype train. I do think the game could be a great game in time, but the little errors and glitches really add up in this one. In addition to that, TA is one of the best mini-games I have ever played. But even with that mini-game and all of the customization options Backbreaker has to offer, the lack of quality gameplay really knocks it flat on its back. If you want sim, do not even look at this game. If you simply want to play a fun football game that is emulating an arcade experience, just boot up NFL Blitz again.

On the Field
: Don’t remind me how terrible it is.

Graphics: Not good or bad, just bland.

Sound: Awesome at first, but by the third game, you will be sick of P.O.D.

Entertainment Value: It can be fun with a friend, but the frustration will take hold sooner rather than later.

Learning Curve: There is a surprisingly steep learning curve to the game. Getting used to the camera angles is a big part of that curve.

Online: Great servers, but bad opponents.

Score: 5 (Average)

Backbreaker Score
Customization.
Tackle alley.
Tackle animations.
Gameplay.
Turnovers.
Rushing offense.
out of 10
Backbreaker Videos
Member Comments
# 21 texastarheel @ 06/09/10 01:24 PM
I own this game and it is disappointing. I dont usually post reviews but the writer was right on point. It has some very nice features that I wished Madden had. But overall it does not have the excitement value for me. Again this is only a personal opinion. I have talked to several people who enjoy the game. I think because I have been a Madden and NCAA fan for so long that anything new would have to be super super outstanding, and for me this game is not. A 5 is about right for this game.

# 22 TheShizNo1 @ 06/09/10 01:24 PM
This reminds me of 2k football. People hated and thought it was hard b/c of the steep learning curve from Madden.

# 23 NC State-31 UNC-27 @ 06/09/10 01:28 PM
so the review says absolutely nothing about the groundbreaking physics work and realism in tackles and player interaction?

My problem is that Madden has had HUGE gameplay problems last few years with turnovers, OL play, stupid 12 man pile ups that turn into 80 yard runs at least once per game, pointless and broken franchise, etc etc yet gets 8s and 9s from OS. And THAT game is supposedly all realism.

Backbreaker doesn't claim to be that...yet its thrown under the bus like this?

Poorly reviewed IMO, even if the final score is accurate.

# 24 raiders81tim @ 06/09/10 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Then a good or bad review shouldn't upset you.
Again its not that the score was bad, I give the game a 5 myself, it's the reasons for it being bad. Never once did he mention the lack of plays, hot routes, a real replay camera ect...

He said pretty much I suck so it's bad boo hoo.

# 25 RaiderKtulu @ 06/09/10 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikan
who are "some people"?....potential buyers or most on this site who seem to be enjoying the game?

as far as consistent bad scores.....again, the #s game mean nothing, if the content in the Review is rubbish.

apparently I must be a GAMING GOD....LOL...

any other GAMING GODS out there that do a better job of completing passes than some of these low #s the reviewer and Mestevo giving off?
My first game in my custom season (pro mode, hard, all 8 custom teams in the 50-60 OVR range) I got my *** handed to me 55-27, and I threw 7 picks... and still managed to complete 55% of my passes and throw 2TDs. I think the defenders catch a little bit too well, but I'm not having anywhere near the issue that our wonderful reviewer claims.

As for road to backbreaker mode - you're an expansion team, you're supposed to suck. The idea is to build a team up and eventually work your way up the tiers to win the championship - not to go all blitz the league style and win 30 games in a row.

# 26 texastarheel @ 06/09/10 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikan
see I respect your opinion....and I can understand where you are coming from since you explained why you feel that way.

tell me though, do you think Blitz is more realistic than BackBreaker?...like the Professional Reviewer who represents Operation Sports states.
I think he went a little far with that. Blitz was not real football to me. Backbreaker makes a very good attempt at making a good football game. Even if you are a die hard 2k person (which I also loved) I think you will be disappointed in this game. If the game play and the quirky camera angles are fixed, Madden and NCAA will have a serious problem on their hands.

# 27 Dogslax41 @ 06/09/10 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
I completed 1/21 passes in my first game. There's nothing much misleading about the review. It unnecessarily scathing but that his opinion.
You may have gone 1/21 and if you did then that is your issue not the game's, but even if you did then that is not 12 turnovers on 12 successive possessions. That is exactly what is misleading.

My last game I went 20/22 for 285 yards with 0 interceptions on pro/hard with random form. In addition I ran for about 65 yards. Do these somewhat realistic stats make the game great...no. The game is lacking in quite a few areas but I expect an honest review not a misleading one. A game where I can go 20/22 with no pics (the cpu threw 4 that game by the way, which is the portion of the game that I do have an issue with) can not be reviewed as siimply, the first 12 possessions were turnovers so this game is awful and worse than Blitz.

# 28 mbmonk @ 06/09/10 02:02 PM
I don't have a problem with the score, but the fact that the reviewer counts the community as a negative towards the game seems a bit unfair.

Quote:
Beware of playing Backbreaker online because it has already turned into a big cheese fest. While the servers are very impressive and stable, the opponents really ruin the online experience. "Cheesing" in Backbreaker is very easy to do because of the game speed. After you snap the ball online, you will be sacked early and often. However, turnovers are not as rampant online because you are playing a real person rather than the unintelligent CPU-controlled teams.
Are we reviewing the game with this article or the community? I don't know if it's fair to blame the game for what the community does. Madden community can blow balls as well. They glitch and exploit anytime they get a chance. I played the dog snot of of Madden 10 online, so I know of what I speak. "Cheesers" are in every community for an online game.

Also what people who join sim leagues? They don't have to worry about cheesers. So that negative doesn't even apply to them. Again to knock the game for what the community does is unfair. And if you are going to bring the community into the review then why not bring up the good things the community is doing to improve the game?

Quote:
Online: Great servers, but bad opponents.
Doing it again.

I think you start walking a slippery slope when you bring the community aspect into a game review.

# 29 mestevo @ 06/09/10 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmonk
I don't have a problem with the score, but the fact that the reviewer counts the community as a negative towards the game seems a bit unfair.

Are we reviewing the game with this article or the community? I don't know if it's fair to blame the game for what the community does. Madden community can blow balls as well. They glitch and exploit anytime they get a chance. I played the dog snot of of Madden 10 online, so I know of what I speak. "Cheesers" are in every community for an online game.

Also what people who join sim leagues? They don't have to worry about cheesers. So that negative doesn't even apply to them. Again to knock the game for what the community does is unfair. And if you are going to bring the community into the review then why not bring up the good things the community is doing to improve the game?

Doing it again.

I think you start walking a slippery slope when you bring the community aspect into a game review.
The typical person is going to go online and join a quick match or whatever, it's a fair concern. If you are any of those other use cases then you are likely a minority and you know that it doesn't apply to you. I don't see the big deal, it's a fair point. Some people even posted in the impressions thread that they are glad that this game has less cheese, the review indicates otherwise, and as you said, cheese exists in all games. If that's most/all the reviewer saw online, then it's clearly fair game to include.

# 30 swaldo @ 06/09/10 02:10 PM
Absolutely no mention of the greatest advance in football gaming in a long, long time (tackling/physics)?! Oh wait, at the very bottom of the review in the summary it does state "+ Tackling Animations." Wow, that's all the love you can give to this groundbreaking technology? And how every play is unique, calculated on the fly with absolutely no cheap AI cheating involved?

Also, to slam and penalize the game because online players use cheese is not right. My online experiences have been great, with no lag or cheesers. What game doesn't have money plays which users can exploit? If you're frustrated with the AI shortcomings then online is a great alternative and they should be rewarded for making this is a solid experience.

BB has...

One of the best mini-games ever
One of the best customization features ever
The greatest tackling/physics ever

So you'd think it would get a higher rating than a 5. I predicted mass media reviews would come in around 6-7, and if NM puts out a decent patch it could easily elevate it to a 7-8.

PC Gamer rated 'Dues Ex' the best game ever made, although it has really dumb AI. There's something about this game as well - it's addicting although the CPU QB isn't the smartest kid on the block.

# 31 RaiderKtulu @ 06/09/10 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
The typical person is going to go online and join a quick match or whatever, it's a fair concern. If you are any of those other use cases then you are likely a minority and you know that it doesn't apply to you. I don't see the big deal, it's a fair point. Some people even posted in the impressions thread that they are glad that this game has less cheese, the review indicates otherwise, and as you said, cheese exists in all games. If that's most/all the reviewer saw online, then it's clearly fair game to include.
So, does watching your corpse get teabagged by a 13yr old make Halo 3 a worse game? I don't recall that getting mentioned in any reviews.

Seriously, "some of the people that play this game are a-holes" is not a valid criticism.

# 32 mbmonk @ 06/09/10 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Well I looked at his past reviews of other games and he does bring up the community in those as well. So at least he is consistent. Though disagree with it.

I hope he writes up a Madden 11 revew. Can't wait to hear about the cheese of that community.

# 33 swaldo @ 06/09/10 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderKtulu
So, does watching your corpse get teabagged by a 13yr old make Halo 3 a worse game? I don't recall that getting mentioned in any reviews.

Seriously, "some of the people that play this game are a-holes" is not a valid criticism.
Exactly, now if a developer has a history of taking no effort in fixing obvious cheese plays then his point may be valid. But c'mon, this is the first game in the series so give them a break! And the devs have been very active on their boards noting all the complaints, so stuff like the Field Goal block cheese will get fixed.

# 34 Dogslax41 @ 06/09/10 02:26 PM
One problem deals with the amount of turnovers that are committed in each game. I’m not talking about three turnovers a game. No, I’m talking about turnover numbers that can range from 10 to 20 per game. Here are just two quarterback stat lines I have witnessed:

(5-28), 7 INT
(1-16), 12 INT

That's really bad.

And this is exactly what I meant in my earlier comment of writing a misleading review, one problem is the amount of turnovers committed each game...Not exactly. This issue is the cpu AI not the prevalence of turnovers. The cpu ai creates turnovers for your defense. Your inability to play the game creates turnovers the other direction.

Just as he quotes "just two stat lines I have witnessed (5-28) 7 int and (1-16), 12 int"..."That's really bad." I can say 20-22 for 285 with no pics. Wow thats really realistic this must be a text based sim game.

This is misleading. Agian I am not saying Backbreaker is the end all be all nor am I saying it is a great game. Is it a good game, in my opinion yes, but to me it is because of the fun factor and the opportunity to see something completly unique on each play not because of some stat line.

Do I see flaws in the game yes. The cpu ai is awful and there are a numebr of things that make it so, third down knowledge, the cpu qb constantly throwing to his left side, end of half timeout issues, and sweep running angles creating negative gains for the cpu.

# 35 ChaseB @ 06/09/10 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaldo
Absolutely no mention of the greatest advance in football gaming in a long, long time (tackling/physics)?! Oh wait, at the very bottom of the review in the summary it does state "+ Tackling Animations." Wow, that's all the love you can give to this groundbreaking technology? And how every play is unique, calculated on the fly with absolutely no cheap AI cheating involved?

Also, to slam and penalize the game because online players use cheese is not right. My online experiences have been great, with no lag or cheesers. What game doesn't have money plays which users can exploit? If you're frustrated with the AI shortcomings then online is a great alternative and they should be rewarded for making this is a solid experience.

BB has...

One of the best mini-games ever
One of the best customization features ever
The greatest tackling/physics ever

So you'd think it would get a higher rating than a 5. I predicted mass media reviews would come in around 6-7, and if NM puts out a decent patch it could easily elevate it to a 7-8.
Friendly editor of said review popping in here for a moment. Two of those things in bold are mentioned in the review and everyone knew about the physics from the start -- the game was pushed forward because people were going crazy about the tech demo. However, if the reviewer thinks the gameplay is suspect, how can he rationally rate it much above a 5 when -- and I think everyone would agree here -- gameplay is the most important aspect. I think he gushes about the customization but that can only take a game so far.

Either way, as with any review, I do think people get too worked up about it. There are demos, previews, videos, screens, and a whole bunch of other ways to see/play games before you buy them. If you want to know what to buy, a review really isn't the best method for video games anymore. Really, reviews should be more about creating a discussion then worrying about the score or being considered a "troll" or something else like that.

# 36 Dogslax41 @ 06/09/10 02:50 PM
Like I said before, I don't think many people would have an issue with the number grade given to the game. I wouldn't give number grades a second thought as they are completly subjective.

My issue is with the details (or lack thereof) supporting that grade. I have no stake in the game so I am not worked up so much as kind of shocked given that I usually trust OS for its opinion on sports games. However, this one was shocking because it really didn't review the game.

The review fails to call out some of the most glaring issues in the game (no mention of the cpu ai, especially the issues that I noted previously as well as the lack of opposition provided by the cpu based on poor ai). It seems to harp on the reviewer's inability to pass or run. And makes the allusion that every game is full of turnovers and that is most certainly not the case. Are there more than there should be, yes, are there on average 20, no. And that is my problem. 20 would be gamebreaking in my opinion. Were I to accept that there were 20 turnovers a game I would not purchase the game based on my own personal judgment that I would not have fun with a game that produces 20 tunrovers on average. I haven't seen 20 turnovers in a game in almost 100 played. In my opinion, that is misleading because I would not have purchased a game based on something that really wasnt true.

In a day in age where financial considerations limit gamer's ability to purchase games at will they rely on reviewers to provide some insight. I understand there are other media available to judge a game, but right or wrong people look to and trust those "reviewers" to provide details of a game when they may not have time to dive into all of them. I don't normally comment on reviews just based on the subjectivity of a review, but I commented now because I feel like this review fails on both accounts, it fails to highlight the items that the game does well and could prove fun for quite a few people and it fails to highlight the negatives in detail to help those that may be put off by those issues decide not to purchase. Instead it seems to have not spent enough time with the game to provide a decent "review" instead of an opinion.

# 37 tybud @ 06/09/10 02:57 PM
the thing about backbreaker is that you get back what you put in meaning if you take time to learn the game and study it then you will get back all the beatiful parts of the game, but if you just pick it up and say im going to just chuck the ball around like its no tomorrow and not have a understanding of what your trying to do on the field the game will feel and look messy. its like a rookie things just seem hectic and out of control but once things slow down and you start playing the sport like it should be played, notice i didnt say video game i said sport. backbreaker has to be played in away that no other sports video game is played. for instance when i play my games it sometimes just feel and look horrible but when my son plays the game is a treat to watch because he is better player. this game really idenifys with the player on the sticks unlike some other games where anybody can pick up and play without knowing much about the sport or a understanding of the game.

# 38 ABR173rd @ 06/09/10 02:57 PM
Everyone is waiting for the great football game messiah and it definitely is not backbreaker,I don't agree with the way the review was written but I definitely agree that this game doesn't deserve anything higher than a 5 rating. You cant give a game a 7 just because its not a Madden title or because the graphics are pretty.

# 39 swaldo @ 06/09/10 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Friendly editor of said review popping in here for a moment. Two of those things in bold are mentioned in the review and everyone knew about the physics from the start -- the game was pushed forward because people were going crazy about the tech demo. However, if the reviewer thinks the gameplay is suspect, how can he rationally rate it much above a 5 when -- and I think everyone would agree here -- gameplay is the most important aspect. I think he gushes about the customization but that can only take a game so far.

Either way, as with any review, I do think people get too worked up about it. There are demos, previews, videos, screens, and a whole bunch of other ways to see/play games before you buy them. If you want to know what to buy, a review really isn't the best method for video games anymore. Really, reviews should be more about creating a discussion then worrying about the score or being considered a "troll" or something else like that.
Most of us here on OS have been following the Backbreaker updates over the last couple years. However, alot of casual gamers will stumble across it in a videogame store or wherever and want to seek more info about it. So I think it should be stated how revolutionary the tackling animations and physics are. I mean that's what BB is all about and that's how they got started so I don't see why a reviewer would totally exclude it. At this point everyone knows there is an interception issue so maybe that should be excluded in the review as well?

And I'm not sure if gameplay has consistently been rated as "The most important aspect" in OS reviews. We're not supposed to mention other games in the BB forum so I won't even go there.

And I'm not worked up, there are far better things in life to worry about. Just adding my input is all, and I'm out. Peace!

# 40 ChaseB @ 06/09/10 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogslax41
Like I said before, I don't think many people would have an issue with the number grade given to the game.

My issue is with the details (or lack thereof) supporting that grade. I have no stake in the game so I am not worked up so much as kind of shocked given that I usually trust OS for its opinion on sports games. However, this one was shocking because it really didn't review the game.

The review fails to call out some of the most glaring issues in the game (no mention of the cpu ai, especially the issues that I noted previously as well as the lack of opposition provided by the cpu based on poor ai). It seems to harp on the reviewer's inability to pass or run. And makes the allusion that every game is full of turnovers and that is most certainly not the case. Are there more than there should be, yes, are there on average 20, no. And that is my problem. 20 would be gamebreaking in my opinion. Were I to accept that there were 20 turnovers a game I would not purchase the game based on my own personal judgment that I would not have fun with a game that produces 20 tunrovers on average. I haven't seen 20 turnovers in a game in almost 100 played. In my opinion, that is misleading because I would not have purchased a game based on something that really wasnt true.

In a day in age where financial considerations limit gamer's ability to purchase games at will they rely on reviewers to provide some insight. I understand there are other media available to judge a game, but right or wrong people look to and trust those "reviewers" to provide details of a game when they may not have time to dive into all of them. I don't normally comment on reviews just based on the subjectivity of a review, but I commented now because I feel like this review fails on both accounts, it fails to highlight the items that the game does well and could prove fun for quite a few people and it fails to highlight the negatives in detail to help those that may be put off by those issues decide not to purchase.
There is a free demo out there, which is the only problem I have with the cost argument. Plus, I'm just not sure if you should be basing a purchase on one outlet's review in either case. I mean I do get the argument, I really do, but I just was pointing out there are other ways.

Beyond that, I'm not in the reviewer's head so I can't tell you what is important to him or not. I do know not every reviewer likes to write 10,000 word reviews, so he chose to focus on a couple things and move on from there.

I don't mind the criticism of the review though, I will say that. I think it's fine to critique the review and even the outlet in a constructive way because it's not going to hurt anything -- probably can only help it.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.