Home
Backbreaker REVIEW

Backbreaker Review (Xbox 360)

When you see the number 12, what do you think of? A dozen eggs? The months of a year? Well, how about my first 12 possessions in a Human vs. CPU game of Backbreaker: fumble, fumble, fumble, interception, interception, field goal, interception, interception, interception, interception, fumble and interception.

Simply put, Backbreaker has turned a sports gamer’s nightmare into a reality by failing to live up to its hype.

During the last couple of years, everyone in the football universe has been talking about whether or not Backbreaker would serve as a solid alternate to the EA franchise. The game was delayed multiple times while wars were waged on message boards all around the world, but now that the game has finally been released, it is clear that not even an extra year of development time could have fixed this title.

I say that because the gameplay in Backbreaker is its biggest downfall by far. It does not even feel as realistic as an old NFL Blitz title. Yes, the game is something new, but it cannot hide its major flaws.

One problem deals with the amount of turnovers that are committed in each game. I’m not talking about three turnovers a game. No, I’m talking about turnover numbers that can range from 10 to 20 per game. Here are just two quarterback stat lines I have witnessed:

(5-28), 7 INT
(1-16), 12 INT

That's really bad.

The game feels like it is moving at a lightning fast speed, which can very frustrating when you first start out. However, after you get the hang of the speed, you will start to understand how to cope with it much more easily. The camera angle also adds to the initial confusion. (For those who have not seen any media for the game, the camera zooms in on the player you are controlling.) Since the camera is so close to your player, it is hard to see what is going on around the field, which is both good and bad. It adds to the realism of an actual football game by giving the AI a chance to blindside you, but when you’re on defense, the camera angle makes it tough to keep up with the ball.

On offense, passing the ball is easy right up until you throw interception after interception. And if you don’t throw an interception, then you’ll get sacked and drop the ball while attempting a forward pass -- but have no fear, that forward pass will be ruled a fumble. When running the ball, expect a loss of five yards or a 50-yard touchdown.

While playing defense, the general issue is the aforementioned camera angle. I do enjoy the camera angle to an extent on defense because it really feels like a brand new experience, but again, it is hard to see what is going on during a play.

The graphics in Backbreaker are nothing special. All the stadiums and player models seem identical sans a few different traits. The players do not really stand out as individuals because they are just a bunch of athletes running around with visors. Basically, the graphics do not really hurt the game, but they do not help the game either.

Beyond the experience on the field, there is actually a reason why Backbreaker will be a huge hit one day: the customization options. If you have the desire and patience to create anything, from your high school team to a college team to even the entire NFL, then you have tapped into what Backbreaker is all about. You get to create and re-create anything you want. When you start a season, you create your own league, add in your own teams or the pre-made ones, and then you place them however you see fit. It is hard to give the customizable features just one short paragraph in this review, but this is one area of the game you just need to appreciate and explore. Make sure you call in sick to work or skip class to toy around with this element of the game.

The other mode in this game that will make Backbreaker a force to be reckoned with (assuming the gameplay gets overhauled in the future) is Tackle Alley (TA). TA is one of the most intriguing and addicting game modes I have ever played. You are faced with the challenge of reaching the end zone while using various dodge moves to avoid your opponents. There are 100 waves in this mode, and these waves begin to get very complicated once you make it to wave 50. If you beat the final wave, you unlock a hidden team, which is presumably the best team in the game. (For those of you with the Backbreaker iPhone application, TA is identical to it -- this version just has a ton of added flare.)

Beware of playing Backbreaker online because it has already turned into a big cheese fest. While the servers are very impressive and stable, the opponents really ruin the online experience. "Cheesing" in Backbreaker is very easy to do because of the game speed. After you snap the ball online, you will be sacked early and often. However, turnovers are not as rampant online because you are playing a real person rather than the unintelligent CPU-controlled teams.

Final Thoughts

Overall, Backbreaker is another game that had all the hype in the world, but now that it is out, it cannot get out of the way of its own hype train. I do think the game could be a great game in time, but the little errors and glitches really add up in this one. In addition to that, TA is one of the best mini-games I have ever played. But even with that mini-game and all of the customization options Backbreaker has to offer, the lack of quality gameplay really knocks it flat on its back. If you want sim, do not even look at this game. If you simply want to play a fun football game that is emulating an arcade experience, just boot up NFL Blitz again.

On the Field
: Don’t remind me how terrible it is.

Graphics: Not good or bad, just bland.

Sound: Awesome at first, but by the third game, you will be sick of P.O.D.

Entertainment Value: It can be fun with a friend, but the frustration will take hold sooner rather than later.

Learning Curve: There is a surprisingly steep learning curve to the game. Getting used to the camera angles is a big part of that curve.

Online: Great servers, but bad opponents.

Score: 5 (Average)

Backbreaker Score
Customization.
Tackle alley.
Tackle animations.
Gameplay.
Turnovers.
Rushing offense.
out of 10
Backbreaker Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Dogslax41 @ 06/09/10 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneRanger1
Everyone is waiting for the great football game messiah and it definitely is not backbreaker,I don't agree with the way the review was written but I definitely agree that this game doesn't deserve anything higher than a 5 rating. You cant give a game a 7 just because its not a Madden title or because the graphics are pretty.

Agree 110%.

With major AI adjustments Backbreaker will be much much better, but right now I dont think Backbreaker or Madden provide the experience most are looking for.

# 42 mbmonk @ 06/09/10 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Either way, as with any review, I do think people get too worked up about it. .... Really, reviews should be more about creating a discussion then worrying about the score or being considered a "troll" or something else like that.
I doubt EA thinks that way when this sight puts up a review of Madden or NCAA.

I agree with you though. With all the ways to get your hands on the game and see coverage of it reviews have taken a reduced role in my purchasing decision.

# 43 ChaseB @ 06/09/10 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaldo
Most of us here on OS have been following the Backbreaker updates over the last couple years. However, alot of casual gamers will stumble across it in a videogame store or wherever and want to seek more info about it. So I think it should be stated how revolutionary the tackling animations and physics are. I mean that's what BB is all about and that's how they got started so I don't see why a reviewer would totally exclude it. At this point everyone knows there is an interception issue so maybe that should be excluded in the review as well?

And I'm not sure if gameplay has consistently been rated as "The most important aspect" in OS reviews. We're not supposed to mention other games in the BB forum so I won't even go there.

And I'm not worked up, there are far better things in life to worry about. Just adding my input is all, and I'm out. Peace!
Ha, I must say I'm happy I don't review football games, or really any games at this point, because it's tough to be a reviewer. I think you are being intentionally snarky (I love some good snark) because even if you don't agree with the review(s), I'm pretty sure everyone feels pretty strongly that gameplay is all-important. Whether that shines through in the writing is another argument I suppose.

# 44 ChaseB @ 06/09/10 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmonk
I doubt EA thinks that way when this sight puts up a review of Madden or NCAA.

I agree with you though.
Yeah, I mean obviously some people within any company do and some people don't, but that's a different group than the general public.

# 45 TombSong @ 06/09/10 03:06 PM
I think the biggest mistake the Devs made for this game is not have some sort of mode where people could practice passing.

I remember my first impression of the game was, this aint good, and that was mainly stemming from my own inability to play the way I wanted to play.

Once you learn the game, you can see how good this game can be. Its a shame peoples frustrations are gonna win out over taking the time to learn what the game has to offer. Its also most of the reviews given of the game are by people who really don't know how to play the game.

The devs should really look at adding a practice mode as DLC and patch for the other issues.

I

# 46 Dogslax41 @ 06/09/10 03:09 PM
Quote:
There is a free demo out there, which is the only problem I have with the cost argument. Plus, I'm just not sure if you should be basing a purchase on one outlet's review in either case. I mean I do get the argument, I really do, but I just was pointing out there are other ways.

Beyond that, I'm not in the reviewer's head so I can't tell you what is important to him or not. I do know not every reviewer likes to write 10,000 word reviews, so he chose to focus on a couple things and move on from there.

I don't mind the criticism of the review though, I will say that. I think it's fine to critique the review and even the outlet in a constructive way because it's not going to hurt anything -- probably can only help it.
Agreed, but like it or not, you guys have had the success and now have the following to warrant people looking to you as experts or at least a very strong authority on sporting games.

You are a victim of your own success here and are going to have a tough time using the I am not a role model defense.

# 47 DirtyCobra @ 06/09/10 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
I think the biggest mistake the Devs made for this game is not have some sort of mode where people could practice passing.

I remember my first impression of the game was, this aint good, and that was mainly stemming from my own inability to play the way I wanted to play.

Once you learn the game, you can see how good this game can be. Its a shame peoples frustrations are gonna win out over taking the time to learn what the game has to offer. Its also most of the reviews given of the game are by people who really don't know how to play the game.

The devs should really look at adding a practice mode as DLC and patch for the other issues.

I
I agree!!! At the beginning I thought this game is ok, but the passing was terrible. Once I grasped it this game really came alive. I am having a harder time running the ball than I am passing now. I just wish they had a larger playbook.

# 48 swaldo @ 06/09/10 03:15 PM
Quote:
Ha, I must say I'm happy I don't review football games, or really any games at this point, because it's tough to be a reviewer. I think you are being intentionally snarky (I love some good snark) because even if you don't agree with the review(s), I'm pretty sure everyone feels pretty strongly that gameplay is all-important. Whether that shines through in the writing is another argument I suppose.
Ok, I'll admit I'm still pouting because we should be playing APF2K11 this year. 2K8 had probably the best gameplay in a football game ever (at least since 2K5 or Madden 2004) but all the reviews bashed it for being too generic. Well, that would've changed if it hung on a couple more years.

I feel the same way with Backbreaker, in that if it can manage to hang on we're going to be playing some nice football in the future. If anything I wish the review would've emphasized that instead of harping on turnovers.

# 49 Dogslax41 @ 06/09/10 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyCobra
I agree!!! At the beginning I thought this game is ok, but the passing was terrible. Once I grasped it this game really came alive. I am having a harder time running the ball than I am passing now. I just wish they had a larger playbook.
Offensively I have found that you can get use to the game, but the more you get use to it, the more it begins to reveal the AI deficiencies. I have done everything to set the table against myself (Pro, Hard setting, random and very poor form, creating a super team and playing against it using a bare bones team, using only coach pick plays) and I still cant get the cpu to consistently beat me or even put up a consistent fight. Hopefully with Finn's editor this will change.

# 50 mestevo @ 06/09/10 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaldo
... if it can manage to hang on we're going to be playing some nice football in the future. If anything I wish the review would've emphasized that ...
This is a flawed view though, people are reviewing the game in the packaging, not the game that it could be after a patch, or after half a decade of refinement.

# 51 mbmonk @ 06/09/10 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong

People try to play this game as if it's Madden or 2k. That doesn't work. You have to learn how to play THIS game. So some reviewers tried to play it like Madden and they sucked at it.. then went to write up a review.

The people who actually tried to learn how to play this new game ( and not just apply their Madden logic), saw a different game than the above people.

But at the end of the day BB has major problems. And as great as the game is, it just wasn't ready for release in it's current state. It needed much more polish. So it's hard to give this game a great score from a review standpoint.

# 52 ChaseB @ 06/09/10 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogslax41
Agreed, but like it or not, you guys have had the success and now have the following to warrant people looking to you as experts or at least a very strong authority on sporting games.

You are a victim of your own success here and are going to have a tough time using the I am not a role model defense.
I don't disagree with the point, I just don't think a "review" is where we have to earn our keep or get buried. If we provide "expertise" all along the way, then the review shouldn't be the ultimate element of coverage. I do think it's important to have solid coverage throughout and up through the review, but a review is inherently going to cause issues with the readers -- they have opinions as well and won't always like what a reviewer says and so forth.

# 53 Dogslax41 @ 06/09/10 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
This is a flawed view though, people are reviewing the game in the packaging, not the game that it could be after a patch, or after half a decade of refinement.
I agree with this as well. As much as I want that to be true and in my opinion think the same thing, we really have no way of knowing and I don't think we want reviewers taking potential into account at all. They should only review what is in front of them and then its up to us if we want to buy into potential.

That would be very similar to another football game that dissapoints yearly only to have many the next year say all over again, "just wait and see...this will be the year."

# 54 DirtyCobra @ 06/09/10 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogslax41
Offensively I have found that you can get use to the game, but the more you get use to it, the more it begins to reveal the AI deficiencies. I have done everything to set the table against myself (Pro, Hard setting, random and very poor form, creating a super team and playing against it using a bare bones team, using only coach pick plays) and I still cant get the cpu to consistently beat me or even put up a consistent fight. Hopefully with Finn's editor this will change.
I played a game last night..Skins vs Cowboys...I was up 24-6 at halftime.....CPU comes back and beats me 26-24. Romo throws a 24 yd strike to Bryant. I am finding that the game does offer me some challenge.

# 55 Jistic @ 06/09/10 03:30 PM
I got no problem with the review. I would maybe make it a 6 myself. This game has some huge issues that it's followers just don't see as a big deal but many other people do. The could do a lot with this base if they want to though. I thought the review was fair, just a little short.

# 56 gr18 @ 06/09/10 03:31 PM
I'm disappointed that this game got 'reviewed' this way here but it doesn't surprise me.I respect my opinion and that's it,nobody elses.I'm quite sure what kinda reviews we'll see for the other 2 football games coming.I won't trust those either because I believe when it comes to those games reviewers are playing with a fixed hand if you get my drift.

On a side note;
Let's see if Finn's editor can help this game out with getting int's reasonable.

# 57 Dogslax41 @ 06/09/10 03:32 PM
Quote:
I don't disagree with the point, I just don't think a "review" is where we have to earn our keep or get buried. If we provide "expertise" all along the way, then the review shouldn't be the ultimate element of coverage. I do think it's important to have solid coverage throughout and up through the review, but a review is inherently going to cause issues with the readers -- they have opinions as well and won't always like what a reviewer says and so forth.
Agree again and didn't mean to imply that I though a bad review would be the measure of you earning your keep or getting burried. In fact, I personally 100% disagree wih the opinion of the UFC review and I personally think that is a broken game that was rated very high by the OS reviewer, but also think he did a good job throwing all the pros and cons out there. It just happened to be that the good points fell in areas that he valued and he was able to overlook the negatives and still have a fun experience. My only issue here was I felt the reviewer did a poor job reviewing the game not so much what his review was.

# 58 Dogslax41 @ 06/09/10 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyCobra
I played a game last night..Skins vs Cowboys...I was up 24-6 at halftime.....CPU comes back and beats me 26-24. Romo throws a 24 yd strike to Bryant. I am finding that the game does offer me some challenge.

I would love to have that experience, it just hasn't happened for me yet and I think I have a pretty good sample size completed. I continue playing though remaining hopeful that someday the cpu will surprise me.

# 59 Skyboxer @ 06/09/10 03:34 PM
I agree with the score. While I've seen better written and organized reviews, the bulk of what is said is correct. The game really isn't that good.......

# 60 swaldo @ 06/09/10 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
I partly disagree. If someone were to tell you that BB was a one time deal- take it or leave it then I don't think anyone would buy the game based off it's existing flaws. As a sports gamer I want to know where this thing is going in the future? Is this just a tech demo put out for EA? Was there any effort to make this a sim or is it just an arcade game? Are the developers active and listen & support the community? Do they have the capability to compete with bigger players?

The BB team confirmed they are starting work on BB2 so that's a plus. You just have to factor in how many flaws you can tolerate and decide if it's something you want to support. The average consumer reading the review will get an impression that it's a lousy game. Is it so bad to say look folks, the gameplay has some glaring issues. However, it has this revolutionary new animation system so it really has some crazy potential!

If the game was totally unplayable it would be a different story, I'm not going to just make a $50 donation for something I won't play at all. But there's enough there for me to want to support it and a patch could do wonders.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.