Home
Backbreaker REVIEW

Backbreaker Review (Xbox 360)

When you see the number 12, what do you think of? A dozen eggs? The months of a year? Well, how about my first 12 possessions in a Human vs. CPU game of Backbreaker: fumble, fumble, fumble, interception, interception, field goal, interception, interception, interception, interception, fumble and interception.

Simply put, Backbreaker has turned a sports gamer’s nightmare into a reality by failing to live up to its hype.

During the last couple of years, everyone in the football universe has been talking about whether or not Backbreaker would serve as a solid alternate to the EA franchise. The game was delayed multiple times while wars were waged on message boards all around the world, but now that the game has finally been released, it is clear that not even an extra year of development time could have fixed this title.

I say that because the gameplay in Backbreaker is its biggest downfall by far. It does not even feel as realistic as an old NFL Blitz title. Yes, the game is something new, but it cannot hide its major flaws.

One problem deals with the amount of turnovers that are committed in each game. I’m not talking about three turnovers a game. No, I’m talking about turnover numbers that can range from 10 to 20 per game. Here are just two quarterback stat lines I have witnessed:

(5-28), 7 INT
(1-16), 12 INT

That's really bad.

The game feels like it is moving at a lightning fast speed, which can very frustrating when you first start out. However, after you get the hang of the speed, you will start to understand how to cope with it much more easily. The camera angle also adds to the initial confusion. (For those who have not seen any media for the game, the camera zooms in on the player you are controlling.) Since the camera is so close to your player, it is hard to see what is going on around the field, which is both good and bad. It adds to the realism of an actual football game by giving the AI a chance to blindside you, but when you’re on defense, the camera angle makes it tough to keep up with the ball.

On offense, passing the ball is easy right up until you throw interception after interception. And if you don’t throw an interception, then you’ll get sacked and drop the ball while attempting a forward pass -- but have no fear, that forward pass will be ruled a fumble. When running the ball, expect a loss of five yards or a 50-yard touchdown.

While playing defense, the general issue is the aforementioned camera angle. I do enjoy the camera angle to an extent on defense because it really feels like a brand new experience, but again, it is hard to see what is going on during a play.

The graphics in Backbreaker are nothing special. All the stadiums and player models seem identical sans a few different traits. The players do not really stand out as individuals because they are just a bunch of athletes running around with visors. Basically, the graphics do not really hurt the game, but they do not help the game either.

Beyond the experience on the field, there is actually a reason why Backbreaker will be a huge hit one day: the customization options. If you have the desire and patience to create anything, from your high school team to a college team to even the entire NFL, then you have tapped into what Backbreaker is all about. You get to create and re-create anything you want. When you start a season, you create your own league, add in your own teams or the pre-made ones, and then you place them however you see fit. It is hard to give the customizable features just one short paragraph in this review, but this is one area of the game you just need to appreciate and explore. Make sure you call in sick to work or skip class to toy around with this element of the game.

The other mode in this game that will make Backbreaker a force to be reckoned with (assuming the gameplay gets overhauled in the future) is Tackle Alley (TA). TA is one of the most intriguing and addicting game modes I have ever played. You are faced with the challenge of reaching the end zone while using various dodge moves to avoid your opponents. There are 100 waves in this mode, and these waves begin to get very complicated once you make it to wave 50. If you beat the final wave, you unlock a hidden team, which is presumably the best team in the game. (For those of you with the Backbreaker iPhone application, TA is identical to it -- this version just has a ton of added flare.)

Beware of playing Backbreaker online because it has already turned into a big cheese fest. While the servers are very impressive and stable, the opponents really ruin the online experience. "Cheesing" in Backbreaker is very easy to do because of the game speed. After you snap the ball online, you will be sacked early and often. However, turnovers are not as rampant online because you are playing a real person rather than the unintelligent CPU-controlled teams.

Final Thoughts

Overall, Backbreaker is another game that had all the hype in the world, but now that it is out, it cannot get out of the way of its own hype train. I do think the game could be a great game in time, but the little errors and glitches really add up in this one. In addition to that, TA is one of the best mini-games I have ever played. But even with that mini-game and all of the customization options Backbreaker has to offer, the lack of quality gameplay really knocks it flat on its back. If you want sim, do not even look at this game. If you simply want to play a fun football game that is emulating an arcade experience, just boot up NFL Blitz again.

On the Field
: Don’t remind me how terrible it is.

Graphics: Not good or bad, just bland.

Sound: Awesome at first, but by the third game, you will be sick of P.O.D.

Entertainment Value: It can be fun with a friend, but the frustration will take hold sooner rather than later.

Learning Curve: There is a surprisingly steep learning curve to the game. Getting used to the camera angles is a big part of that curve.

Online: Great servers, but bad opponents.

Score: 5 (Average)

Backbreaker Score
Customization.
Tackle alley.
Tackle animations.
Gameplay.
Turnovers.
Rushing offense.
out of 10
Backbreaker Videos
Member Comments
# 81 mestevo @ 06/09/10 05:49 PM
The problem with your argument is people and reviewers expect a football game.

"So any review should be based only on these 2 functions of the game."

Just wow.

# 82 mbmonk @ 06/09/10 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
Probably for the same reason that the flaws people in excuse in this game would never be accepted in a Madden game, people have given excuses for everything that is criticized in Backbreaker.
Most of the things people complain about in Madden have been there for years. Madden was first released in 1989. They have had 20 years to fix problems. This is BB first release. Lets revisit you comment when BB21 releases if you want to be fair. Also the budgets to develop the two titles I am sure were extremely different.

EDIT: I have stated the review score is fair. The game has huge flaws. I wish it would have been polished way more. That being said I enjoy the game.

# 83 Dogslax41 @ 06/09/10 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmonk
Most of the things people complain about in Madden have been there for years. Madden was first released in 1989. They have had 20 years to fix problems. This is BB first release. Lets revisit you comment when BB21 releases if you want to be fair. Also the budgets to develop the two titles I am sure were extremely different.

EDIT: I have stated the review score is fair. The game has huge flaws. I wish it would have been polished way more. That being said I enjoy the game.

I can't cut them any slack for this being their first game. I love the game and think it was worth my $50, but at the same time you have to review what is produced and what they shipped doesn't justify above a 6 in my opinion.

But it does deserve to have what it does right highlighted and that has been the problem with alot of reviews. The natural motion is a huge leap forward, EA knows its the future because it is putting real time physics in their hockey game and madden is trying to emulate it as best as possible with their two stick system, which as anyone who has played NHL knows is right up there with the Show as one of the two best video game representations of a sport ever. The customization is unlike anything we have seen in sports outside Pro Evo. Those are two huge wins for such a small development team in their first showing.

But at the same time they chose to enter the football gaming market and you have to judge their offering as a football game.

Right now there are glaring AI probelms, but as I stated earlier it does sound like there is potential to fix those to some extent without a patch. I know I am enjoying it and can only hope that the community or the devs can help fix some of the problems without us having to wait for backbreaker 2.

# 84 TreyIM2 @ 06/09/10 06:21 PM
People just can't handle the "truth"...or a different opinion...especially if the opinion is dead on with a potential "truth". Hits too close to home for many and that causes lash outs.

# 85 jmood88 @ 06/09/10 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmonk

I'm not going to give the company a pass because it's their first game. Look at NFL2k when it came out, it was comparable, and it some places surpassed, the football games that were out at the same time and they were a small team. The NaturalMotion people have money from licensing their engine to Rockstar and other companies and, as their fans love to point out, from that Tackle Alley app on the iphone. No, they aren't as big as Tiburon but they aren't four guys working out of their basement. It's crazy to me that there are people who hate EA so much that they tirelessly defend a game that is missing a lot of things. Most people who have been around here know that I didn't buy a football game after 2k5 until All Pro Football came out so I understand not liking EA/Tiburon, but I won't tell people to blindly buy a game just because it's something other than Madden.

# 86 daboyz55 @ 06/09/10 06:38 PM
Wow, if I had to depend on other's opinions I woildn't be enjoying this game right now. While it has it's flaws it isn't as bad as people seem to make it. One surprising thing from the review calling the online play "cheesefest". LOL. I usually just read and never really comment on this forumn but I just couldn't hold my tongue on this one. I think despite some kinks(lag or drops) online play is probably one of its stronger points. Case in point I NEVER have to worry about someone dropping back 20 yards and throwing a 90 yard bomb. In all this review is fair as everyone has an opinion but it wouldn't really say that I agree with the reviewers assesment.

# 87 Buckeyes_Doc @ 06/09/10 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
What people fail to understand is that the "ONLY" two elements they wanted to push was:

1) Natural Motion
2) Customizaion (to show you don't need an NFL contract; notice how only "Uni's/Logos" are editable? )

Go back an review all the vid's and info by the Dev team, and you will see that these were the only 2 things they wanted to push during this release.

The mentioned things about the camera view, ratings etc... but always went back to these 2 area's because this was what they were selling. Go back and review!!!

As far as some of the other stuff people are mentioning pertaining to why they didn't like or rated the game so poorly is outside the scope of the intentions of their first game.

These are the 2 things they hammered on constantly.
Natural Motion is physics never seen in any other football game.
Custamization (spits into the face of the "Exclusive" agreements that forced competitors out).

So any review should be based only on these 2 functions of the game.
Did you like/dislike Natural Motion compared to the physics of current football games? Why/why not
Did Customization help to deal with the want of an NFL product? Why/why not

To me, the game gets high scores base off the 2 features they put a the forefront of the game.
Now they can introduce other area's.

If you really think about it, this is really smart because other's have tried to introduce a game in whole, without showcasing what was different from other football games. Thus, gamer's didn't see much innovation that seperated them from the "GIANT". But Backbreaker showcases it's innovation by trying to put focus on the game's foundation (Natural Motion and Customizaion). It's just we are used to a football game being presented to us in whole vs in parts.

I've had to "slow my role" with picking this game apart, to remember that this is their "1st" game.
Even 2k made a couple of games before 2k5.
Gameday and Gamebreaker had their time.
I've given up on Madden!!!!

Give them some space and let them do their thang!!!
Loved making College Teams on Backbreaker (if they allow college type playbooks, man!!!)
Dude, come on....

This was reviewed AS ONE THING. A FOOTBALL GAME.

Do you know why? Because that is what it is.

# 88 jfsolo @ 06/09/10 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
The problem with your argument is people and reviewers expect a football game.

"So any review should be based only on these 2 functions of the game."

Just wow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyes_Doc
Dude, come on....

This was reviewed AS ONE THING. A FOOTBALL GAME.

Do you know why? Because that is what it is.
I have seen some unbelievable rationalizations here over the years, but that one may top them all.

# 89 Buckeyes_Doc @ 06/09/10 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
I have seen some unbelievable rationalizations here over the years, but that one may top them all.
I am flabbergasted at that rational. So am I an idiot for buying BB to play a football game? They sure had me fooled..

# 90 lasthour @ 06/09/10 08:15 PM
I have been on this site for a long time and I simply can not believe the view point that this review was given in. I do not know if this is coincidence or not but this is like dejavu. When 2k came out I remember the same type of point of view that this game is receiving.

This game does many many things better than the competition. This game has great passing mechanics, great running mechanics and great physics/animations. SOUND FAMILIAR?

This games MAIN flaw is the high CPU interceptions/sacks sometimes.

PS: when running wait until you receive the ball at the handoff before making a move, just like a real rb. And look for holes and cutback lanes while waiting. Peace.

# 91 Downgoesfrazier @ 06/09/10 08:16 PM
I'm probably one of few people who love the game, and at the same time agree with most of the "bad" reviews.

I can enjoy some 'bad' games lol. I don't pay too much attention to reviews, since to me, it's my opinion that really matters. If you like the game, good for you, if you don't, cool. It's all just an opinion.

I'm also probably one of few people who love this game and will still buy 'the other game' and enjoy it. I just like the depth and broadcast presentation it has, plus i still like it's gameplay. But love this game for it's physics, team creator, and I have fun playing games.

I don't get the fanboyness I see across the net (not saying it's here, I haven't read through any of this thread, or pay attention to it). Like what you like and leave it at that lol.

Thankfully I like both.

# 92 PolkHigh33 @ 06/09/10 08:21 PM
It's funny how everyone gets their panties in a knot about someone else's opinion ..

Anyways .. the PS3 better get the demo soon .. I'm becoming impatient ..

# 93 Bellsprout @ 06/09/10 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikan
and that is one of the reasons I'm soooo excited about the future of this football series
I seriously doubt there's a future for this series. Sales won't be good, reviews aren't good, I don't really see why they would go on.

Again, this thread goes back to whether you guys realize, and you don't seem to, that people are allowed to have opinions that are different than yours. You have every right to think BB is the next coming of the Lord in video game form, and he has every right to think this game sucks.

# 94 steelersfan7 @ 06/09/10 08:42 PM
This game really aint that bad. I would give it 7/10. You need to play more than one game to get the feel for it. Yeah there are AI issues with the INTs but hey Im enjoying it better than Madden.

# 95 Skyliner80 @ 06/09/10 08:56 PM
I too started off throwing depressing amounts of INTs but the more I played it, the more the passing game became better. I actually benched my started, since his form was down. I enjoy the whole league customization where you can add up to 32 of your teams. The only thing I'd like is the camera work. On Defense, the fix for this is the "Focus" button but on offense, it should go back to traditional camera. I appreciate the on-the-field stuff but it can get frustrating. I do enjoy a lot of the small things, presentation wise. The seamless celebrations and of course the euphoria engine is awesome. I'm really glad I gave this game a chance. Something different, ya know?

# 96 Skyliner80 @ 06/09/10 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner80
I too started off throwing depressing amounts of INTs but the more I played it, the more the passing game became better. I actually benched my started, since his form was down. I enjoy the whole league customization where you can add up to 32 of your teams. The only thing I'd like is the camera work. On Defense, the fix for this is the "Focus" button but on offense, it should go back to traditional camera. I appreciate the on-the-field stuff but it can get frustrating. I do enjoy a lot of the small things, presentation wise. The seamless celebrations and of course the euphoria engine is awesome. I'm really glad I gave this game a chance. Something different, ya know?
..one more thing...the "Backbreaker" name.....ugh..hasn't caught on. It's like naming an MMA game, Rear-Choker.

# 97 Buckeyes_Doc @ 06/09/10 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfan7
This game really aint that bad. I would give it 7/10. You need to play more than one game to get the feel for it. Yeah there are AI issues with the INTs but hey Im enjoying it better than Madden.
I keep hearing this over and over again. Where are all these people giving reviews on just playing one game? How do you know they just played one game?

Of course you need to play more then one game to get a "feel" for it. That applies to any video game ever made, and sport ever played, and pretty much anything in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygmen92
K

Its pretty funny and ironic that under his user profile name MMChrisS it says, "Steve says I'm Pitiful" hmm.. now I'm not going to comment on that, but you can imagine what many people here including myself are thinking right about now of this review...

It doesn't really matter what the score the reviewer gave BB that concerns me, its how it was blasted and placed in the BB forum that really is worrisome. Here's a good question and maybe one of the OS members can so kindly give an answer too. If Madden 11 for any reasons turns out to be horrible and pretty much worse then Madden 10, will you guys blast it and give it a bad review and post it in the Madden forum???
Where else would a BB review be placed?

The golf forum?

# 98 CaptainZombie @ 06/09/10 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyes_Doc
I keep hearing this over and over again. Where are all these people giving reviews on just playing one game? How do you know they just played one game?

Of course you need to play more then one game to get a "feel" for it. That applies to any video game ever made, and sport ever played, and pretty much anything in life.

Where else would a BB review be placed?

The golf forum?
Doc, you are wasting your time my friend.............it's one thing to have fun with the game and know that there are flaws. Another thing to have horse blinders on and not see a single flaw.

# 99 ESPOMAN @ 06/09/10 09:20 PM
OK this game needs a 7-8

# 100 mr janny @ 06/09/10 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner80
I have been eating the same lunch for years, tuna on rye. A little boring, yes, but I know what I'm getting when I reach into my lunchbox everyday. Would I like a change? Sometimes, yes. But, I refuse to eat a turd sandwich just because it's made with better bread than I'm used to. You can dress it up with all kinds of fancy toppings and condiments. You can tell me that I just need to give it a chance. You can tell me that if I just buckle down and eat the sandwich, that the next sandwich will be made with a smaller turd. You can even tell me that it's my fault for not liking the sandwich, because I'm not a very good sandwich maker. But at the end of the day, it's still just bread/turd/bread. And I'll take my tuna on rye over that every single time.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.