Home
Backbreaker REVIEW

Backbreaker Review (Xbox 360)

When you see the number 12, what do you think of? A dozen eggs? The months of a year? Well, how about my first 12 possessions in a Human vs. CPU game of Backbreaker: fumble, fumble, fumble, interception, interception, field goal, interception, interception, interception, interception, fumble and interception.

Simply put, Backbreaker has turned a sports gamer’s nightmare into a reality by failing to live up to its hype.

During the last couple of years, everyone in the football universe has been talking about whether or not Backbreaker would serve as a solid alternate to the EA franchise. The game was delayed multiple times while wars were waged on message boards all around the world, but now that the game has finally been released, it is clear that not even an extra year of development time could have fixed this title.

I say that because the gameplay in Backbreaker is its biggest downfall by far. It does not even feel as realistic as an old NFL Blitz title. Yes, the game is something new, but it cannot hide its major flaws.

One problem deals with the amount of turnovers that are committed in each game. I’m not talking about three turnovers a game. No, I’m talking about turnover numbers that can range from 10 to 20 per game. Here are just two quarterback stat lines I have witnessed:

(5-28), 7 INT
(1-16), 12 INT

That's really bad.

The game feels like it is moving at a lightning fast speed, which can very frustrating when you first start out. However, after you get the hang of the speed, you will start to understand how to cope with it much more easily. The camera angle also adds to the initial confusion. (For those who have not seen any media for the game, the camera zooms in on the player you are controlling.) Since the camera is so close to your player, it is hard to see what is going on around the field, which is both good and bad. It adds to the realism of an actual football game by giving the AI a chance to blindside you, but when you’re on defense, the camera angle makes it tough to keep up with the ball.

On offense, passing the ball is easy right up until you throw interception after interception. And if you don’t throw an interception, then you’ll get sacked and drop the ball while attempting a forward pass -- but have no fear, that forward pass will be ruled a fumble. When running the ball, expect a loss of five yards or a 50-yard touchdown.

While playing defense, the general issue is the aforementioned camera angle. I do enjoy the camera angle to an extent on defense because it really feels like a brand new experience, but again, it is hard to see what is going on during a play.

The graphics in Backbreaker are nothing special. All the stadiums and player models seem identical sans a few different traits. The players do not really stand out as individuals because they are just a bunch of athletes running around with visors. Basically, the graphics do not really hurt the game, but they do not help the game either.

Beyond the experience on the field, there is actually a reason why Backbreaker will be a huge hit one day: the customization options. If you have the desire and patience to create anything, from your high school team to a college team to even the entire NFL, then you have tapped into what Backbreaker is all about. You get to create and re-create anything you want. When you start a season, you create your own league, add in your own teams or the pre-made ones, and then you place them however you see fit. It is hard to give the customizable features just one short paragraph in this review, but this is one area of the game you just need to appreciate and explore. Make sure you call in sick to work or skip class to toy around with this element of the game.

The other mode in this game that will make Backbreaker a force to be reckoned with (assuming the gameplay gets overhauled in the future) is Tackle Alley (TA). TA is one of the most intriguing and addicting game modes I have ever played. You are faced with the challenge of reaching the end zone while using various dodge moves to avoid your opponents. There are 100 waves in this mode, and these waves begin to get very complicated once you make it to wave 50. If you beat the final wave, you unlock a hidden team, which is presumably the best team in the game. (For those of you with the Backbreaker iPhone application, TA is identical to it -- this version just has a ton of added flare.)

Beware of playing Backbreaker online because it has already turned into a big cheese fest. While the servers are very impressive and stable, the opponents really ruin the online experience. "Cheesing" in Backbreaker is very easy to do because of the game speed. After you snap the ball online, you will be sacked early and often. However, turnovers are not as rampant online because you are playing a real person rather than the unintelligent CPU-controlled teams.

Final Thoughts

Overall, Backbreaker is another game that had all the hype in the world, but now that it is out, it cannot get out of the way of its own hype train. I do think the game could be a great game in time, but the little errors and glitches really add up in this one. In addition to that, TA is one of the best mini-games I have ever played. But even with that mini-game and all of the customization options Backbreaker has to offer, the lack of quality gameplay really knocks it flat on its back. If you want sim, do not even look at this game. If you simply want to play a fun football game that is emulating an arcade experience, just boot up NFL Blitz again.

On the Field
: Don’t remind me how terrible it is.

Graphics: Not good or bad, just bland.

Sound: Awesome at first, but by the third game, you will be sick of P.O.D.

Entertainment Value: It can be fun with a friend, but the frustration will take hold sooner rather than later.

Learning Curve: There is a surprisingly steep learning curve to the game. Getting used to the camera angles is a big part of that curve.

Online: Great servers, but bad opponents.

Score: 5 (Average)

Backbreaker Score
Customization.
Tackle alley.
Tackle animations.
Gameplay.
Turnovers.
Rushing offense.
out of 10
Backbreaker Videos
Member Comments
# 101 Buckeyes_Doc @ 06/09/10 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPOMAN
OK this game needs a 7-8
You are free to give this game a 7 or an 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearsX8
Doc, you are wasting your time my friend.............it's one thing to have fun with the game and know that there are flaws. Another thing to have horse blinders on and not see a single flaw.
Lol, true. This happens everytime BB gets a negative review almost verbatim. Not sure why I thought it would be different this time

# 102 keshunleon @ 06/09/10 09:40 PM
I agree 100% with the review... I was so hype for this game and was very disappointed. One thing I would like to add is the sacks are very high also avg 10 a game.

# 103 khaliib @ 06/09/10 09:45 PM
The rational is that they pushed 2 new aspects different from the norm, and people bought it.

And since this is about football, let me try and "Break it down to a Fraction" my rational, as would call it.
If you've played at the college of pro level, you know each phase of the game is broken down into parts. What the "FAN" sees on Sat/Sun is parts brought together. Football is NOT the whole game, but Parts of a game that have been tweaked and tuned for hours/days so that the complete package can function as "It Should". You can't develope every phase of football at the same time, it's "Impossible".

To this point, we have seen games put out as a whole and every year there are complaints about an aspect of the game launched. If it's not presentation, it's gameplay or physics or affect of ratings in gameplay or the Offense or Defense etc...

My rational is that if you want "Realistic" football, each phase is going to need to be developed without rushing to next, otherwise the same circle of complaints will continue 5 yrs later.

Think of Backbreaker as the Wildcat offense that so many said couldn't work at the professional level. And once the right pieces were put togther, every team is looking to implement in some way (as Afrikan said "It's much more").

Natural Motion is that "P. Harvin or C. Johnson" that just needs a couple of other pieces to function optimaly.
My Rational is that by them focusing on developing phases of the game as all successful coaches do, their product will be successful faster than the one who tries to do it all at the impatience of the fan.

My rational is review the phase of football that they presented, because if it's not where it should be and they move on to another, they will become different version of Madden or flop all together.

There is alot of promise in this game that get's overshadow by impatient right now gamers.
We complained about EA for years, yet every year we still purchased.
Why is it all of a sudden different with a new developer?

Keep in mind also, these guy's are from Europe. American Football is not the #1,2 or 3 sport over there, but such low reviews don't reflect that.

I love what they put out so far, because it can only improve.

# 104 Skyboxer @ 06/09/10 10:03 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but....
Seriously I know it doesn't sit well to have a game "supposedly" in the making for 2 (or more) years come out and basically be mediocre at best, especially after all the "madden killer" and "Greatest game ever" posts.
But call a spade a spade... BB is a 5 MAYBE a 6 at best. It just isn't that good. I hope they make a new one next year and improve but no way this years version is a 7 or 8 (really? an 8??) out of 10.

IMO that is....

# 105 Playmakers @ 06/09/10 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but....
Seriously I know it doesn't sit well to have a game "supposedly" in the making for 2 (or more) years come out and basically be mediocre at best, especially after all the "madden killer" and "Greatest game ever" posts.
But call a spade a spade... BB is a 5 MAYBE a 6 at best. It just isn't that good. I hope they make a new one next year and improve but no way this years version is a 7 or 8 (really? an 8??) out of 10.

IMO that is....

I'm probably gonna get flamed for this but IMO I don't think this game is better than a 5 when you take away the tackling animations and the ability to edit teams.

That's not worth $25 IMO let alone $50.......i was hyped up for this game because of the editing ability.

I thought I could create all kinds of players and fully rate them myself, assign my gear and tone down their body size depending on position.

I was very dissapointed after reading through the impressions thread.

Then I decided to rent this game and give it a chance but for 4 days i kept getting getting upset with the gameplay overall on the field.

I don't think this game is better than a 5 when you take away tackle animations and the ability to edit teams. That's not worth $25 IMO let alone $50

Hopefully the 2nd effort will be better than the 1st effort for this company down the road.

# 106 Triggerfish @ 06/09/10 10:24 PM
it's just one person's view..not all of op sports. If you had one of the BB players doing the review and they gave it a 9.the "other" people would be up in arms! Lol! NP...Guys that like it enjoy...guys that do not..the other is always there. For the ones who do like it (including myself) there will be a BB2 so keep playin and have fun! But once that NFL license is open (wishful thinking i know) mindsets change!

# 107 allBthere @ 06/09/10 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
It has nothing to do with people trying to play the game like it's Madden or NFL2k, the computer AI is horrible. People on here like to say that if you don't like the game then it's because you're not good but that's really not the case, once you get used to the stupid things that the camera does the game is very easy since the computer will either give the ball right back to you as soon as it gets it or keep losing yards on every play.
don't pretend you have the game man. If you did and started a league a put yourself in the middle of the pack you'd be losing games.

Which brings me to the review. I didn't read half of it, because it wasn't worth reading. If you don't give a game a chance at all and play it for like 2 minutes, you have no business writing a review. Many of the problems I did see in the review wouldn't come from anyone who's spend a decent amount of time with the game (enough time to warrant writing a review).

I don't care about the score, I don't even really care a lot about the OS review in general, but the text was laughable. There's other comments in here I could argue with, but I won't bother. User reviews/ratings in general are rather favourable for backbreaker, sure there's people that can't stand it too, but it's a polarizing game.

What I can't imagine is someone who loves "my players" modes thinking this game is trash. It's built around that entire concept and plays better and provides a better experience than any of those other games so far.

# 108 CaptainZombie @ 06/09/10 11:39 PM
I guess all the reviewers are smoking something. What gets me is if people are enjoying the game despite the deep flaws, then that is all that matters. But it is getting kind of ridiculous with the bickering that some guys don't see any of the issues with the game.

# 109 jvalverde88 @ 06/09/10 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nygmen92
If Madden 11 for any reasons turns out to be horrible and pretty much worse then Madden 10, will you guys blast it and give it a bad review and post it in the Madden forum???
Uh yeah, maybe because its a review for Madden?

# 110 mestevo @ 06/09/10 11:50 PM
That Gametrailers review is the only review I've got any problems with that I've read/watched, it's clear they only reviewed it in arcade mode. It doesn't really diminish the problems they cite, as they're all still valid issues, but the review is about as shallow as the game itself.

# 111 gr18 @ 06/09/10 11:52 PM
I know a game can't be reviewed based on an editor made to fix ratings that end up making the game play much better, but if those that think the games a joke refer to the Backbreaker Rosters section.You'll see that Flying Finn has come through once again with an editor that, if you follow that thread, is really making great strides with major A.I. issues.

# 112 gr18 @ 06/10/10 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikan
times are great for us football gamers....having football gaming options....then being able to edit an already upstart football game that has a solid foundation......

32 NFL Teams......full names, full rosters, Logos...endzones....

create your own 32 team league...name the league, name the various divisions (NFC West, AFC East, etc)....and play multiple seasons.....

and for 360s owners *for now* (hopefully we figure something out for the PS3 version soon) having their players attributes be very similar to their real life counter parts and editable as the season goes on....and being used online (without having to wait for an official roster update)

and of course True Next Generation Football Physics...that just EMBARRASSES the competition......I mean...lol...just watch the recent trailers.

now they just need to add fatigue and injuries and some other stuff in the next version.....they already have a FINE foundation......future looks bright for football gamers.

review scores and peoples opinions are all fine and dandy...but when you think about it, the people who wrote those reviews have moved on from the game, they don't care anymore...that is their job....to hurry with a review, get bashed, and laugh at the gamers who disagree....where as we are the ones who will still enjoy this game...as well as others who give it a chance. We are the ones who are still constantly reviewing the game as we spend more and more time with it.
There are other football games that are more polished out of the box but what you see is what you get with them.Most sports games are better through trial and error tweaking.2k games have been this way for instance.

I hope PS3 owners get an editor cracked soon.I bought an Xbox1 basically because of the 2k5 editor and eventually,when everyone thought it couldn't be done,Finn got the PS2 editor done.The ratings adjustments are working for the 360.

# 113 mgoblue678 @ 06/10/10 01:54 AM
Can't say I agree with a number of the complaints in the review. The CPU offense and too many INT's and sacks I can agree with obviously , but to be honest some of the complaints sounded like the he spent all of 10 minutes with the game before complaining.

I don't understand this complaint about the ball being to hard to follow on defense that I keep on seeing. I honestly have no problem following the ball defense and I think anybody who takes the time to get used the game wouldn't either. I mainly play LB on defense, and I can't even count the number of good plays I have made because I was able to follow the ball and the play rather easily.

And the complaint about cheesing being rampant is flat out wrong based on my experience. I have now played about 30 games online and almost every single one of those the cheese was at a minimum, most people I have played mostly randoms, have not cheesed whatsoever.

I have also never seen a game with 20 turnovers either. Complaining about throwing 10 INTS as the user is not valid to me either. At that point the person just has to take the time to get better at the game.

While I agree with some of the complaints in each review I see, I honestly don't think many reviewers have take enough time to get used to the game, which could have solved a couple common complaints I keep on seeing. Heck, the gametrailers review apparently didn't even take the time to realize there was a pro mode which solved a couple of their complaints, since they only bothered to play it on arcade mode. How that strikes anybody as a fair review is beyond me given that circumstance.

I do find it funny some of the people saying they agree with the reviews 100% in each thread, who I know haven't even played the game based on some of their other posts.

# 114 XBox_Roughneck @ 06/10/10 02:15 AM
Good review.

I would hate for the guys at 505 to think the customization and physics in this game are all future game supporters want in the title. I spent my $50 cause I want options eventually. Not because I thought this game was better than a 4 on a scale of 1-10.

I've played tons of football games over the years (my favorite being Front Page Sports Football) and it would be unfair of me as a football gaming fan to say this game warrants a review that's better than what Op Sports gave it.

That said, the customization and physics should be in ANY football title. The game is just missing too much of the other stuff right now.

Hoping
1) We see a Backbreaker 2
2) They CHANGE THE DAMN NAME!!!
3) They learn from what's broken in this version.

# 115 bluengold34_OS @ 06/10/10 02:20 AM
I think it's an honest review from a pure football video game perspective. The game has an awful lot of flaws, but does some things equally just as awesome. It's rare that a game has so many glaring flaws, and yet does other things that are just outstanding.

I have had the game since day 1, and now have the full NFL roster set, and the game has barely left my PS3. After the review, it doesn't make me want to go and take it out of my PS3, because it's just his opinion. I just do not follow the mindset of needing a review to justify my purchase. If Chris gave it a 10 out of 10, and I hated the game, I would have already traded it in.

It's not rocket science......

Enjoy the game, play it. Hate the game, trade it in!!!

# 116 jmood88 @ 06/10/10 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
don't pretend you have the game man. If you did and started a league a put yourself in the middle of the pack you'd be losing games.
I never said anything about owning the game. I've played the demo and I've played the retail version.

# 117 mgoblue678 @ 06/10/10 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
I think it's an honest review from a pure football video game perspective. The game has an awful lot of flaws, but does some things equally just as awesome. It's rare that a game has so many glaring flaws, and yet does other things that are just outstanding.

I have had the game since day 1, and now have the full NFL roster set, and the game has barely left my PS3. After the review, it doesn't make me want to go and take it out of my PS3, because it's just his opinion. I just do not follow the mindset of needing a review to justify my purchase. If Chris gave it a 10 out of 10, and I hated the game, I would have already traded it in.

It's not rocket science......

Enjoy the game, play it. Hate the game, trade it in!!!
But, how exactly is complaining about throwing 10 INTS or so as the user valid? Alot of people who have played the game for a little awhile including myself have actually gotten pretty decent at minimizing INT's. I really don't see how it is valid whatsoever, since that is something the user has the ability to improve on as they get used to the game.

And I really would like to know what the claim of rampant cheese online is based on. How many games did he play online to make that statement? Like I said I have played about 30 games online and that is the opposite of my experience even against most randoms. I just don't see how you can call Backbreaker out for cheese online, when that is rampant in other sports games.

I would only give the game a 6 or 7 myself in it's current state, but I just can't agree every single one of complaints I am seeing in reviews are valid.

# 118 bluengold34_OS @ 06/10/10 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue678
But, how exactly is complaining about throwing 10 INTS or so as the user valid? Alot of people who have played the game for a little awhile including myself have actually gotten pretty decent at minimizing INT's. I really don't see how it is valid whatsoever, since that is something the user has the ability to improve on as they get used to the game.

And I really would like to know what the claim of rampant cheese online is based. How many games did he play online to make that statement? Like I said I have played about 30 games online and that is the opposite of my experience even against most randoms. I just don't see how you can call Backbreaker out for cheese online, when that is rampant in other sports games as well either.
Well Blue, the great thing is.....you don't have to feel it's valid bro. That's your opinion, and while I agree with a lot of what you say, he just happens to have a differing opinion. I played online, and have experienced no cheese at all. I only play guys from OS though, so that makes a big difference. I also do not throw 10 int's a game either. The last game I played, I threw 3 td's, 2 int's and for 278 yards with Bizarro Phillip Rivers.

I will be honest, when I play this game, I am in no way playing it with a 2K/Madden mindset. I am just playing the game to have fun, and so far this game is fun as hell. I have played at least 2 exh. games a night since I have had it, a couple online games, and ready to start a season tomorrow.

Chris has a venue to express his opinion and his review of the game. I understand that when you accept that, it's going to generate emotion from the reader( both good and bad) I also understand that people who really like the game, feel cheated by the way the game is represented in the review..

But the bottom line Blue, is this........

You don't have to agree with him, and you sure in the hell do not need anyone's permission to enjoy the game.

It's all subjective bro...........all of it!!

# 119 bluengold34_OS @ 06/10/10 02:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
^ You don't throw ten ints because you only average about four yards of offense per game...

... I'm sorry, I couldn't resist
I guess I did experience 1 cheeser online^^^^^

That said Cheeser then trades the game in the very next day, giving me no shot at redemption.

Don't you have a game of your non-licensed Tecmo Bowl you should be playing??

# 120 mgoblue678 @ 06/10/10 03:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
^ You don't throw ten ints because you only average about four yards of offense per game...

... I'm sorry, I couldn't resist
I know you were only joking, but for the record I have been averaging about 200-300 yards a game online in my last several games online. A good deal of that through the air.

As far as online, I haven't run into cheesers exploiting the game really at all. I have run into people that don't know much about football however. I can't count the number of the people who don't match up personal wise based on my offensive formation and pick a 4-3 or 3-4 every play even if I start going to three wr.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.