Home
Backbreaker REVIEW

Backbreaker Review (Xbox 360)

When you see the number 12, what do you think of? A dozen eggs? The months of a year? Well, how about my first 12 possessions in a Human vs. CPU game of Backbreaker: fumble, fumble, fumble, interception, interception, field goal, interception, interception, interception, interception, fumble and interception.

Simply put, Backbreaker has turned a sports gamer’s nightmare into a reality by failing to live up to its hype.

During the last couple of years, everyone in the football universe has been talking about whether or not Backbreaker would serve as a solid alternate to the EA franchise. The game was delayed multiple times while wars were waged on message boards all around the world, but now that the game has finally been released, it is clear that not even an extra year of development time could have fixed this title.

I say that because the gameplay in Backbreaker is its biggest downfall by far. It does not even feel as realistic as an old NFL Blitz title. Yes, the game is something new, but it cannot hide its major flaws.

One problem deals with the amount of turnovers that are committed in each game. I’m not talking about three turnovers a game. No, I’m talking about turnover numbers that can range from 10 to 20 per game. Here are just two quarterback stat lines I have witnessed:

(5-28), 7 INT
(1-16), 12 INT

That's really bad.

The game feels like it is moving at a lightning fast speed, which can very frustrating when you first start out. However, after you get the hang of the speed, you will start to understand how to cope with it much more easily. The camera angle also adds to the initial confusion. (For those who have not seen any media for the game, the camera zooms in on the player you are controlling.) Since the camera is so close to your player, it is hard to see what is going on around the field, which is both good and bad. It adds to the realism of an actual football game by giving the AI a chance to blindside you, but when you’re on defense, the camera angle makes it tough to keep up with the ball.

On offense, passing the ball is easy right up until you throw interception after interception. And if you don’t throw an interception, then you’ll get sacked and drop the ball while attempting a forward pass -- but have no fear, that forward pass will be ruled a fumble. When running the ball, expect a loss of five yards or a 50-yard touchdown.

While playing defense, the general issue is the aforementioned camera angle. I do enjoy the camera angle to an extent on defense because it really feels like a brand new experience, but again, it is hard to see what is going on during a play.

The graphics in Backbreaker are nothing special. All the stadiums and player models seem identical sans a few different traits. The players do not really stand out as individuals because they are just a bunch of athletes running around with visors. Basically, the graphics do not really hurt the game, but they do not help the game either.

Beyond the experience on the field, there is actually a reason why Backbreaker will be a huge hit one day: the customization options. If you have the desire and patience to create anything, from your high school team to a college team to even the entire NFL, then you have tapped into what Backbreaker is all about. You get to create and re-create anything you want. When you start a season, you create your own league, add in your own teams or the pre-made ones, and then you place them however you see fit. It is hard to give the customizable features just one short paragraph in this review, but this is one area of the game you just need to appreciate and explore. Make sure you call in sick to work or skip class to toy around with this element of the game.

The other mode in this game that will make Backbreaker a force to be reckoned with (assuming the gameplay gets overhauled in the future) is Tackle Alley (TA). TA is one of the most intriguing and addicting game modes I have ever played. You are faced with the challenge of reaching the end zone while using various dodge moves to avoid your opponents. There are 100 waves in this mode, and these waves begin to get very complicated once you make it to wave 50. If you beat the final wave, you unlock a hidden team, which is presumably the best team in the game. (For those of you with the Backbreaker iPhone application, TA is identical to it -- this version just has a ton of added flare.)

Beware of playing Backbreaker online because it has already turned into a big cheese fest. While the servers are very impressive and stable, the opponents really ruin the online experience. "Cheesing" in Backbreaker is very easy to do because of the game speed. After you snap the ball online, you will be sacked early and often. However, turnovers are not as rampant online because you are playing a real person rather than the unintelligent CPU-controlled teams.

Final Thoughts

Overall, Backbreaker is another game that had all the hype in the world, but now that it is out, it cannot get out of the way of its own hype train. I do think the game could be a great game in time, but the little errors and glitches really add up in this one. In addition to that, TA is one of the best mini-games I have ever played. But even with that mini-game and all of the customization options Backbreaker has to offer, the lack of quality gameplay really knocks it flat on its back. If you want sim, do not even look at this game. If you simply want to play a fun football game that is emulating an arcade experience, just boot up NFL Blitz again.

On the Field
: Don’t remind me how terrible it is.

Graphics: Not good or bad, just bland.

Sound: Awesome at first, but by the third game, you will be sick of P.O.D.

Entertainment Value: It can be fun with a friend, but the frustration will take hold sooner rather than later.

Learning Curve: There is a surprisingly steep learning curve to the game. Getting used to the camera angles is a big part of that curve.

Online: Great servers, but bad opponents.

Score: 5 (Average)

Backbreaker Score
Customization.
Tackle alley.
Tackle animations.
Gameplay.
Turnovers.
Rushing offense.
out of 10
Backbreaker Videos
Member Comments
# 121 bluengold34_OS @ 06/10/10 03:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue678
I know you were only joking, but for the record I have been averaging about 200-300 yards a game online in my last several games online.
Blue....he meant that towards me. We played online the other night, and all I gained was a total of 3 passing yards, and 2 rushing yards against him. he now takes any and all opportunities to remind me of such hideous play, that I am sure will haunt me to my grave

# 122 mgoblue678 @ 06/10/10 03:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
Blue....he meant that towards me. We played online the other night, and all I gained was a total of 3 passing yards, and 2 rushing yards against him. he now takes any and all opportunities to remind me of such hideous play, that I am sure will haunt me to my grave
Oops, my bad.

# 123 cgalligan @ 06/10/10 08:42 AM
I agree with almost everyone. I would have really expected more from OS, I can't believe they let a review of such poor quality represent them...

Sad...

# 124 Methlab @ 06/10/10 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
No one would play NCAA if it didn't have real players.
Sorry, but no.

# 125 jeremym480 @ 06/10/10 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
Probably for the same reason that the flaws people in excuse in this game would never be accepted in a Madden game, people have given excuses for everything that is criticized in Backbreaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner80
..one more thing...the "Backbreaker" name.....ugh..hasn't caught on. It's like naming an MMA game, Rear-Choker.
Why someone thought that would be a good name for a football game is beyond me. Now if it were a wrestling game it would be a hell of a name.

As for Chris's review. I didn't see anything wrong with it because it his opinion. If you don't like it, you don't have to read it. Just forget about it and go enjoy your game already. Besides, I seriously doubt that many of us at OS buy or pass on a game based on a couple of reviews. I can only truly speak for myself and I base most of my purchases off things like the demo and a couple of OS members who's opinions I value. However, mainly I only trust myself because what someone else loves I may hate and vise versa.

# 126 tswiatkowski @ 06/10/10 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jistic
I got no problem with the review. I would maybe make it a 6 myself. This game has some huge issues that it's followers just don't see as a big deal but many other people do. The could do a lot with this base if they want to though. I thought the review was fair, just a little short.
This

# 127 tswiatkowski @ 06/10/10 10:23 AM
Why someone thought that would be a good name for a football game is beyond me. Now if it were a wrestling game it would be a hell of a name.

As for Chris's review. I didn't see anything wrong with it because it his opinion. If you don't like it, you don't have to read it. Just forget about it and go enjoy your game already. Besides, I seriously doubt that many of us at OS buy or pass on a game based on a couple of reviews. I can only truly speak for myself and I base most of my purchases off things like the demo and a couple of OS members who's opinions I value. However, mainly I only trust myself because what someone else loves I may hate and vise versa.

[/quote]
Completely agreed with the madden point. People do not allow any excuses for flaws in madden, such as a lack of realistic equipment options....etc. I rented this game and I have to say it is an unrealistic portrayal of the sport of football. This isn't my type of game in the first place, because I am a fan of authenticity, (i.e. real teams and players) but I could not help but notice the A.I. flaws and clunky elements of the gameplay. Why these elements of the game deserve an excuse is beyond me. I'm not saying people can't have fun with it. I had fun with it sometimes.

Oh, lol the name. I thought that may have been one of the dumbest names possible for a football game. I played football for 7 years and watched football on TV even longer. I have never once witnessed a player's back get broken.

# 128 Behindshadows @ 06/10/10 10:25 AM
Great review I figured as much...save feelings I got just from the Demo alone..gameplay kills the fun factor. That camera is just hideous..

# 129 CaptainZombie @ 06/10/10 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows
Great review I figured as much...save feelings I got just from the Demo alone..gameplay kills the fun factor. That camera is just hideous..
It's "Gears of Backbreaker". LOL!

# 130 mestevo @ 06/10/10 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480

From the name, I get the impression that 3 years ago they probably thought they could make the next big Blitz game. Then when they realized they'd have to get the casual sim gamers to really be successful, they had to go another direction.

Mission somewhat accomplished, they'll probably outsell Blitz: The League II by week 4.

# 131 NC State-31 UNC-27 @ 06/10/10 11:35 AM
There are some definite frustrating problems with BB.

But the review didn't even TOUCH on the new technology.

I think this game thrives online against good opponents. Just like APF, which to me was maybe the best sports video game ever.

It would just be nice if the reviewer didn't have such a negative attitude towards the game, and if he hated it so much give it less than a 5.

# 132 boooey @ 06/10/10 11:52 AM
what a lame review.. not one mention of the game's biggest feature.. real time physics..
this review is totally armature hour

# 133 mvb34 @ 06/10/10 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC State-31 UNC-27
There are some definite frustrating problems with BB.

But the review didn't even TOUCH on the new technology.

I think this game thrives online against good opponents. Just like APF, which to me was maybe the best sports video game ever.

It would just be nice if the reviewer didn't have such a negative attitude towards the game, and if he hated it so much give it less than a 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boooey
what a lame review.. not one mention of the game's biggest feature.. real time physics..
this review is totally armature hour
Is this game suppose to be a football game or a physics project? You can have all the nice physics you want but if it can't get basic football down everything else goes out the window. I get the feeling that the Backbreaker fans expect OS to give it a pass and go gaga over the physics.

# 134 RaiderKtulu @ 06/10/10 12:07 PM
I think I've figured out how this game is worthy of a 5. You see, because it's automatically being compared to other football games even though they've specifically said they aren't trying to compete.... it loses a point for having no real players or licenses, and it loses a point for not having announcers or a TV-style presentation. So... once you factor in the idea that the absolute perfect score for the game would be an 8, rather than a 10... well... a 5 is ok.

# 135 ExtremeGamer @ 06/10/10 12:11 PM
Going to say this once.

If you are trolling for a response, the best plan of action is to stop now. A few of you are obviously doing that. There won't be a warning next time, just infractions.

Discuss the review, good and bad about it. But there's no need to defend the game at all costs, and at the same time, no need to bash it at all costs. No one wins. If you don't like the game, no need to further post on the BB forums then, correct?

Same goes if you're comparing Madden, no need. Some of you have said that the games aren't technically competing, but then bringing up what score Madden will get. Madden has NOTHING to do with the topic at hand.

Thanks for most of you having a very good conversation about the review and game.

# 136 mestevo @ 06/10/10 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderKtulu
I think I've figured out how this game is worthy of a 5. You see, because it's automatically being compared to other football games even though they've specifically said they aren't trying to compete.... it loses a point for having no real players or licenses, and it loses a point for not having announcers or a TV-style presentation. So... once you factor in the idea that the absolute perfect score for the game would be an 8, rather than a 10... well... a 5 is ok.
Actually you've got a good point amongst the sarcasm, I think reviews would be much lower if the review mentality of '50 = F/fail' was done away with and games were truly rated 1-10 in the systems that use 100%. Partially why it's easier to rate stuff 1-5 IMO.

# 137 qcsavagelife25 @ 06/10/10 01:16 PM
Great review, but really why is everybody getting mad at the review?

"I cant believe OS would let this review to be posted" are you serious? this game by itself without the comparisons is just very unrealistic. Its like an "ok" 90's football mixed with some fly graphics and Dominique Sez: THATS A NO NO

Furthermore, im not going to rule out breakbreaker in their future endeavors but there 1st definitely has to be their worst cause they wont stay in business putting out Pre-K material like this

# 138 raz77 @ 06/10/10 01:41 PM
It's a bad review. It barely mention the biggest feature of the game and the reviewer appears to blame the game for his own low skill level. It is also low to go after the game for problems with the online community when many of the games reviewed here have the exact same problem, yet get a pass.

# 139 RodO @ 06/10/10 02:34 PM
No mention at all of the animations?

# 140 spankdatazz22 @ 06/10/10 03:52 PM
Wow, that was an atrocious review. And thus does OS's sports reviews spiral ever closer to IGN's sports games reviews. The game "failed to live up to the hype"? Who was hyping an unlicensed game other than users that wanted an alternative to what was currently available in Madden and NCAA? And that's ALL the game could be - an alternative. Yet the review is written by someone seemingly expecting the game to play like NCAA or Madden, of course without the many benefits those two games enjoy. It touches on none of the game's positive aspects - surprisingly other than customization, which I guess was important for the reviewer so he could remake the NFL or NCAA. IT'S NOT THE BACKBREAKER DEVS FAULT BB CAN'T BE AN NFL OR NCAA GAME - yet reviewers seem intent on holding that against the game.

Still shaking my head at the "fails to live up to the hype" lol

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.