Home
NBA 2K11 REVIEW

NBA 2K11 Review (Xbox 360)

When you boot up NBA 2K11 the first time, he is there to greet you. His Airness emerging from the tunnel, "Sirius" by the Alan Parsons Project (Bulls introduction theme song) playing at the Chicago Stadium, and the PA announcer introducing the players to an audience that I was now a part of despite being behind a TV screen. It was Jordan, it was June 1991, and it was Magic all over again.

This phenomenal intro was a great way to start off the NBA 2K11 experience, and it also set the tone for what the game has to offer this year.

This opening sequence capsulized the fact that the developers at 2K Sports team were up to the challenges that came with using one of the most popular sports figures in history as a cover athlete for their top franchise.

Meeting the expectations that come with creating an authentic Jordan experience would have been enough, but 2K Sports didn't stop there. NBA 2K11 dared to go even beyond that and put together the most compelling basketball video game to date. Just like MJ had done throughout his career, NBA 2K11 sought out greatness.

Michael Jordan

The man, the challenge, the legend.

There are eight different versions of Michael Jordan in NBA 2K11, differentiating in age, ratings, appearance and style of play. All eight are the best NBA 2K players you’ll ever play with because all but the 1994–95 Jordan have a 99-overall rating. You can choose to play with any of these different Jordans right away in exhibition modes, or you can attempt to complete the Jordan Challenge.

Here, you get a shot at re-enacting 10 games that helped define Jordan’s career against his most formidable foes like Magic, Bird, the Bad Boys of Detroit and the bad sushi in Utah -- or better known as the "Flu Game." The game does a great job detailing all 10 games as well. Taking place in the original arenas, the games look similar to what you might come across on ESPN Classic. The commentary chatter is based on events that were occurring at that time, like Scottie Pippen’s troublesome back during the Game 6 of the 1998 NBA Finals. The classic teams also play like their historical counterparts. For instance, Jordan’s "Arrival" game against the Celtics in '86 had a handful of isolation plays for No. 23 to do his thing, while Jordan versus the Jazz in '96 got most of his looks in the mid-post in a Phil Jackson triangle offense.

Sadly, once the nostalgia wears off, the Jordan Challenge loses its luster. The objectives of each challenge make the games feel a bit too constrained and less like free-flowing organic basketball. However, every MJ or NBA fan of the '90s will definitely get a kick out of playing as the different Bulls teams or with the legendary players and teams they played against.

Fortunately, playing as MJ does not end there, and it also becomes more fun with the Creating A Legend mode. I laid out a few options of how to draft a rookie Jordan months ago, but little did I know the importance of choosing the right team to get the most out of the re-creating Jordan experience. Although some still will, drafting MJ to the Lakers might not be as satisfying as you would like. I say that because your team plays realistically with established rotations and an offensive pecking order. Playing alongside a 97-rated Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol leaves little opportunities for a young Jordan. Even though you’re able to call plays for your team, the AI is smart enough to ignore you if there’s a better option -- and with an veteran Kobe on the floor, there’s always a better option.

For that same reason, you should think twice about heading to Miami. But hey, do what you want, LeBron certainly did. Ultimately though, the mode is fun to play regardless of what city or beach you choose to take your talents to since you are after all controlling Michael Jordan night in and night out.

The mode plays very similar to the My Player mode, as each game has specific goals to be reached to gain reward points that improve Michael's attributes. The in-game grading scale is more intuitive and better detailed in NBA 2K11. A bar at the top right of your screen always displays your grade and what exactly you did to get there. However, the bar does not only display what positive or negative action you performed, but also exactly how much the action was worth. For instance, setting a pick is a good act, but it’s not going to give you as many grade points as taking and making a good shot. I'm sure Mark Madsen’s rolling over in his grave right now, but hey that’s just how the NBA works, and NBA 2K11’s Create A Legend follows suit.

Your Jordan can request a trade, but sadly there’s no "Kobe option" to withdraw requests based on your mood swings. You can also suggest to your front office what players you want traded to your team. However, my young MJ got drafted to the Timberwolves, so he knew better than to ask David Kahn to make a move that actually made basketball sense. (My team on rare occasion will sub in Corey Brewer and Martell Webster as the two big men, while $20 million center Darko Milicic rides the bench.) I do wish simulating through the schedule was an option since a 10-year NBA career is pretty lengthy, but overall the mode is definitely a great addition to the NBA 2K11 lineup.

On the Court

Michael Jordan is not the only great thing about this year’s 2K hoops game. In NBA 2K11, on the court is where amazing happens. Although a bit difficult to get the hang of at first, the new Isomotion controls are much more efficient and realistic. The new way to handle the ball and player movement is based on a principle all students and gamers of the basketball should know -- dribble moves are a way to get from point A to point B, not showing off your "crazy" handles whilst never moving from point A. Pull off the right combination of skills with the left trigger in NBA 2K11, and you’ll be pulling off triple-threat moves that would make Carmelo blush.

My one qualm with dribbling moves is the effectiveness of the step-back dribble. The move often creates so much space that you can essentially go from around the charity stripe to the 3-point line in an instance -- not even Dwyane Wade gets that much separation on a step-back dribble. It's about the only cheap move within what is otherwise an outstanding area for NBA 2K11.

Shooting the ball in this year’s game is also really a game changer. Signature gathers, leaners, momentum shots, drifting right, drifting left, contested shots, and on and on. It’s almost like playing with Kobe Bryant’s full repertoire.

But makeovers were not limited to just the flashy stuff, passing too has also been upgraded. Pass fakes are back, and a new total-control passing system (using the right stick to make passes as well being able to control guys off the ball) is available via a menu option. Players now juggle bobbled passes upon reception or reach out, sometimes unsuccessfully, for wayward attempts as well. Much like how the 2K Sports team finally figured out the alley-oop pass in NBA 2K9, passing out of jumpers or layups is now nicely implemented in NBA 2K11. These leads to players like Rajon Rondo and CP3 making those gorgeous wraparound passes once they get into the teeth of the defense.

Speaking of the drive and kick game, spacing by the AI is stellar, and so too is the presence of mind by perimeter players to jump behind the three-point line in a ready-to-shoot stance upon receiving a pass. More life-like reactions are also evident. Players do not always stick a perfect landing on a contested jumper, and they now even go against the new NBA rules and demonstrate to refs how they got hacked on their last drive to the rim. You also have much more control over dunks and layups. Pull off the right move at the right time and you might get a sweet-looking poster plus a nice little pose for the cameras after the dunk. However, having the euro-step layup as its own command seems like a stretch because only a handful of NBA players have the move in their arsenal.

Overall, all the intricate additions and added user-control help to create something that plays like the most realistic basketball game ever. Simply put, NBA 2K11 is the closest any sports video game has ever come to depicting the actual real-life sport in both feel and visuals.

AI

NBA 2K11 boasts the best AI of its series, but not without a few odd hiccups along the way. Getting in the passing lane of the CPU’s first and second options on an inbounds pass leads to very interesting and fundamentally bad results. The player inbounding always looks to his third option, typically the big man in the post on the strong side of the ball, the issue is the recipient never moves to create a passing lane, and this results in a lot of awkward passes and turnovers. The AI will also occasionally launch a few bad passes far down the court even when there is noticeable traffic.

Beyond that, CPU players force up some real tough shots. This is understandable for players like Dwyane Wade, but something’s not just right about Johnny Flynn shooting a fade away at the free-throw line over two defenders on a three-on-two fast break. This is not the Big East anymore Jonny.

Luckily, none of these mishaps take away from the gameplay all that much. The AI does a great job of running team-specific offenses while still letting players show their real-life tendencies. In addition, the AI also plays an honest game on the defensive end. Basically, the CPU is not necessarily too difficult, but NBA 2K11 is more challenging than its predecessors because the AI is much smarter.

The Association and My Player

The Association through the years has been the richest mode in the NBA 2K series, and this year is no different. There are enough good upgrades and additions to make the mode feel new again. The individual and team stats are mostly on point if you simulate the games. You also don’t have to user-control all 30 teams to get a realistic NBA experience (at least not at the start, more on that in a moment) because things stay pretty much as realistic as you would expect. In my first season, the Lakers and Heat were the top seeds, LeBron won the MVP, All-NBA teams were carbon copies of last year’s NBA season, and of course Tracy McGrady got hurt for eight weeks in his first game back after a two-week layoff. What more do you want?

CPU trade logic was fairly decent, but I did receive a trade offer asking for my first-round pick in exchange for Sean Marks. I didn't even bother to respond. Then again, it's better that the AI is trying to swindle me than the other way around.

Player progression and regression also showed a realistic trend. Steve Nash fell off after season one, but Kevin Durant increased to a 94 overall, and players like Joe Johnson and Andre Iguodala saw no movement in either direction. This feature is nice to check out after the year ends because now you can see how each player progressed or regressed in a simple menu option. And, speaking of menus, they (along with the interface in general) are much better and cleaner this year.

However, there are some problems within the Association mode once the years progress. As Chase pointed out in his preview, home-road records are really out of whack from the start. On its own it's a minor issue, but it tends to throw off simulation results from a win-loss perspective, especially in the playoffs. You will see the home team blow out the away teams in the playoffs by 30-plus points way more than you probably should.

Beyond that issue, the auto-generated draft classes seem to be throwing off the amount of trades and free-agency signings that go on as the years progress. Because many of the rookies come in with relatively high ratings, teams will simply draft the players they need and pass on free agents or making trades to fill holes in their lineup. So as the years progress, better and better players will be in free agency and fewer and fewer trades will occur.

If you like to play every game, Association mode will more than hit the spot. Every game and every team will feel different, and the feeling of living and dying each game with your squad is readily apparent here. For those that are more into simulating lots of games and being more GM than coach, some of these problems will probably frustrate you in later years if you don't take your time to correct them manually.

My Player also received a few upgrades in NBA 2K11. Press conferences, shoe deals and Hall of Fame aspirations are neat additions, but perhaps the one issue with this mode is the very beginning of it. A player who is a 35 overall to start his career has little to no chance of becoming an NBA star, let alone a Hall of Famer.

Starting off as a 60-65 rated prospect would be a more realistic premise and a less tedious beginning to your career. Very few people probably want to spend time playing D-League video game basketball -- not even players in the D-League probably want to do it. My Player is still a well-crafted mode, but I believe Create A Legend will get more playing time in NBA 2K11 because everyone still wants to be like Mike.

Graphics and Presentation

The jerseys seem to fit better than the baggier uniforms from NBA 2K10. Player models are clearer, but not all player faces are picture perfect (many of the issues seem to arise when players show emotion). Nevertheless, viewing the "pressbook" after a Jordan Challenge game shows how much detail was put into creating the classic teams and the individual marquee players. And, the improved lighting in the arenas makes the games look much more like something you would see on a TV broadcast.

With all the other good things going for it, presentation is perhaps one of the best parts about NBA 2K11. The way in which the game is packaged, from the 1991 Finals introduction to the final buzzer of every game, is nicely done. You have the option of adding your own music, but the soundtrack is a great compilation of songs highlighted by "Little By Little" from The Chicharones. The in-game discussion between Kevin Harlan and Clark Kellogg touches on a lot of current storylines in the NBA, such as the forming of Miami’s big three, and even consists of a couple genuinely funny moments. The presentation aspect of this game shows just how much detail and attention was given to the development of NBA 2K11.

Online play has been the Achilles heel of the NBA 2K series over the years. This is one part of the game that has not quite met expectations so far, at least not yet. That being said, the game is light years ahead of where it was at this time last year, and this is probably with more people hammering the servers. Still, games have been dropping at a regular rate on both consoles (this seems to be getting better by the day though), and although the game looks smooth in motion, you still feel enough online lag to stop you from pulling of delicate stick moves like the "flick-flick" shots. In addition, it has still been hard to connect to random ranked games at times, and finding a Team-Up game that starts can be a chore.

It’s still the early stages though, and the 2K team is making tweaks seemingly twice a day right now, so there’s hope things will continue to get better. As for game modes, leagues are back in both fixed and flex schedule form, and Crew games have also made a return as well.

Final Buzzer

The verdict is still out on the online servers, but NBA 2K11 is a reason for all sports gamers to rejoice. The amount of effort and detail put into this year’s title by the 2K Sports team should raise the bar for all sports games moving forward. Playing and looking like real NBA basketball while giving fans the opportunity to play as His Airness makes NBA 2K11 the most realistic and fun basketball sim to date.

NBA 2K11 is not perfect and neither was Michael Jordan. But that didn't stop him from being the greatest.

On the Court: Great refinements with player movement, and more user control with Isomotion skills and shot types makes NBA 2K11 a basketball lover’s dream. Both the offense and defense have realistic chances at winning every one-on-one battle, and little additions like fake passes and refined player movement make the team game a very rewarding basketball experience.

Graphics: No mind-blowing changes in terms of player models, but good arena lighting and better fitting jerseys make NBA 2K11 look realistic in any camera view.

Audio: Awesome in-game commentary and a good soundtrack make this one of the rare sports video games you don’t rush to turn down the volume. Pregame cut scenes are cool, and Damon Bruce does a great job hosting the halftime show. NBA 2K11 brings its "A" game in this department.

Entertainment Value: The Jordan Challenge gets old quick but serves as a good dose of nostalgia. Creating A Legend is a fun and different way of playing the NBA season because playing as Michael Jordan really is as good as it gets. His signature moves, like the one-handed shot fakes, cradle dunks and layups only MJ would even think of, make you feel like you are watching those Michael Jordan highlight tapes all over again.

Learning Curve: The game is certainly the most challenging in the series to date, but there are a ton of sliders, tutorials and difficulty levels to appease fans of every level.

Online: Consistent online servers is what holds NBA 2K11 back from staking its claim as the best all-around sports game of this generation. A fair amount of games disconnect and there's enough lag to hinder the experience of NBA 2K11 online. In such a read and react sport, a delayed reaction could be the difference between blowing by a helpless defender for an easy two points or getting your shot sent to the bleachers. It's still early, however, and we've seen some improvements since the release so hopefully 2K Sports get the kinks all worked out soon.

Score: 9.0 (Exceptional)

NBA 2K11 Score
Michael Jordan
New Isomotion and shot controls
MVP-worthy presentation
Online play is decent at best
My Player could be more fun
Some Association mode problems
out of 10
NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 ChaseB @ 10/09/10 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Then don't give out scores with games - simple. We've gone through this in the past, there's no way to not focus on the score. It's usually the first thing people want to see. If you're graded on a test, you don't look at the teacher comments and not worry about the grade itself. As it is, if someone were to compare OS scores of games this game is no better/worse than Madden 11 - which when you take into account the content and quality of each, it's not even close to being comparable. And completely unfair to 2K's efforts.

I can't really comment about the online piece because I haven't played online yet, but to me the mode would have to be near-broken to negatively affect the other content that most developers don't even attempt to put into their games. I've read complaints about online, but nothing that leads me to believe it's completely unplayable (despite the terms "broken" and "patch this" being liberally thrown around). It's like most of those things are disregarded when it comes to grading a game. Again, it's your opinion and you have a right to it - I just don't think you gave them enough credit for every area they went above and beyond. We likely won't see another game like this, this generation imo. When the "suits" only seem to focus on what the Metacritic score is and sales, fans have to hope companies are rewarded with sales when they make extensive efforts like this one. Otherwise what's the incentive to do so when their effort is essentially going to be held in the same regard as a company that mails it in year after year?
Such a tired argument, and we're not on Metacritic. I mean, at least be somewhat original and say HOW CAN NBA 2K11 GET THE SAME SCORE AS TRIALS HD!!!!

Never coming to this site again, sucks.

# 42 spankdatazz22 @ 10/09/10 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Such a tired argument, and we're not on Metacritic. I mean, at least be somewhat original and say HOW CAN NBA 2K11 GET THE SAME SCORE AS TRIALS HD!!!!

Never coming to this site again, sucks.
Well, imo the tired argument is saying "don't pay attention to the score" when one is posted. And I only threw Metacritic in because it's a central location for many reviews, and somewhere people would be able to easily gauge the overall quality of a game. I was simply disagreeing and stating my reasoning why. If the consensus is this game is no different than others rated similarly then so be it. Again I could be wrong but usually the first thing a person looks at is what a game is scored, and the content of the review usually second. As I said I thought the review was fairly well written even if I didn't agree with the score. But one really shouldn't be posted if you don't want it debated, imo. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Oh, and I never insinuated "the site sucks" because of the review score or whatever lol

# 43 ChaseB @ 10/09/10 09:54 PM
Quote:
Well, imo the tired argument is saying "don't pay attention to the score" when one is posted. And I only threw Metacritic in because it's a central location for many reviews, and somewhere people would be able to easily gauge the overall quality of a game. I was simply disagreeing and stating my reasoning why. If the consensus is this game is no different than others rated similarly then so be it. Again I could be wrong but usually the first thing a person looks at is what a game is scored, and the content of the review usually second. As I said I thought the review was fairly well written even if I didn't agree with the score. But one really shouldn't be posted if you don't want it debated, imo. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Oh, and I never insinuated "the site sucks" because of the review score or whatever lol
You're not offending me, just saying it got the same score as Madden is a stupid argument because a ton of games have scored a 9, thus why I said at least compare it to Trials to be different. Reading the text to gauge the score makes sense rather than just reading a score and seemingly trying to make that number mean something on its own.

And yes you did say the site sucks. You basically said I don't deserve to live and breathe the same air as you in your original post. /overly dramatic hyperbole.

# 44 stlstudios189 @ 10/09/10 09:58 PM
NBA 2k11 is in a tricky situation like FIFA and MLB the show. It is scored against itself and has trouble topping itself. After this year what can 2k12 do to impress people?

# 45 spankdatazz22 @ 10/09/10 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
You're not offending me, just saying it got the same score as Madden is a stupid argument because a ton of games have scored a 9, thus why I said at least compare it to Trials to be different. Reading the text to gauge the score makes sense rather than just reading a score and seemingly trying to make that number mean something on its own.
When I look at the Reviews section, the things that are most visible are the name of the game, the OS review score, and R.S. (which I guess is Reader Score). No captions on the content of the reviews or opinions. It would seem the site is making the review score prevalant, then saying "don't pay attention to it"...? It would be ideal to have a person read a review and gauge themselves if the game is good or bad. But by listing reviews this way you seem to be acknowledging that most people are looking for a quick way to judge the games.

Most of us have been to school and understand there's a difference between getting an "A" in Gym versus getting an "A" in Geometry. So I don't understand the Trials argument - most people understand there's a huge difference between what's expected of an arcade title, a handheld title, or a title purporting itself to be a simulation of a sport. If NBA Jam rates a 9 I'd think most people are smart enough to know that NBA Jam doesn't have the same expectations a NBA2K11 would have, and vice versa. And I think most people would be smart enough to group games like Trials and NBA Jam in one category, and games like The Show, Madden, NCAA, NBA2K, etc. in another.

# 46 clipperfan811 @ 10/09/10 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
I have to agree with the lack of control on BlackRome's part. Still a big issue in this game. I don't know how people say this game controls much smoother. It's just as wonky as ever, control wise. 2K needs to overhaul the controls and player controlled movement or find a way to fit in people who prefer better controls ala Live 10/Elite 11.Everything else is just fine, to me.
IMO if you want Live/Elite style control than buy that game and quit trying to ruin it for the people who understand the system that's in place with 2k.

The player movement isn't absolutely perfect but I really enjoy how there's a rocking type feel to it, cross over at just the right moment when you see the D react and they keep going while you turn on a dime. So much of it depends on the abilities of the ball handler and that's how it should be. I play a lot of basketball IRL and some people just don't have the handles or agility to turn on a dime, they lose the ball, or intend to go to a spot but wind up a bit further than they want. I've noticed the same thing with me over the years; as I've improved my ball control I get to my spot easier.

To each his own and I'm totally fine with that but don't request for the developers to totally revamp something that has a realistic theory behind it especially when you're requesting for the change to make the game more like Live/Elite. I DON'T LIKE the player movement in that series; it doesn't feel like it has weight incorporated in the movement. I don't like it so I don't buy the game it's simple. I don't ask them to make it into something that goes against what makes them, them.

# 47 clipperfan811 @ 10/09/10 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimfro
I agree with BlackRome, in part, on the issue of controls. I played PG in JH, JV, and Varsity levels in school, and can tell you with all certainty, that when the lane opened up in front of me, like Moses parting the Red Sea, I could fly straight to the basket for an easy lay-up. I can't tell you how many times I have seen the defense blow their coverage of the paint, and I immediately go to move straight at the basket, for what should be an easy two points, only to have my player do some weird u-turn maneuver, or hesitate, instead of finishing the play. Then the defense gets time to fill the paint, and my player gets contacted by the D, and the basket is blown. Sometimes it just feels like you are playing in a foot of water.

If Wade has an open lane, he will use his speed, and finish every time. He was called flash for a reason, after all. The were times in the Jordan challenge that I couldn't beat Danny Ainge, because out of nowhere, Jordan lost the ability to size-up his defender, but felt it necessary, without me pushing the LT button, to try to back him down from the three-point line. That happens constantly. There is no benefit to having a speed guy. Basketball is a game of quickness, yet Derrick Rose, at times, handles like a Hummer when attacking the basket. I never had to do a wide turn to make a quick cut. If this game is a realistic interpretation of the NBA, then I chose the wrong Career path. I should quick everything I am doing now, and get to the nearest NBA practice facility, and see if I can walk on.

That animation that forces the bump, and you to bounce off, and turn your back to the guy, while tryin to face him to use a crossover, or cut, is making me want to shelf this game. They did nearly everything right, but there is no way that Steve Blake could keep D Wade in front of him. The controls are sluggish, not always, but an open lane, with a guy like Lebron holding the ball would always result in a quick, easy basket. In 2k11 it isn't the case. You can hold the stick in one direction, and watch the guy zig-zag on his own. It is a little disappointing to see this again this year.
I don't see this as being way out of wack. I've seen plenty of getting to the rim for a layup or dunk, both by me and by the A.I. .. It's not easy to get to the hoop and if it was all hell would break loose. I see contact that contact animation you're talking about when A) I take a poor angle to the rim B) I don't get around the defender fully and bump into him C) when I beat my defender but help rotates. It's all tough D. Even someone like D wade doesn't always score by getting wide open layups. He sets up the drive with the mid-range jumper, he makes a crazy amount of contested circus shots that he's got down to a science. He dunks over a defender ect ect.

Getting wide open layups SHOULD be a rarity in the game. With all that being said It's not all that hard to break a defender down and get to the hoop. I do it from time to time with my crap rated My Player guy and I've played against Lebron and the Heat enough times to know that Lebron gets to the rim a lot. At first I was even worried about it being too much than I remembered that's how Lebron plays IRL.

Look I"m not saying the game is Perfect (someone please tell me what's perfect) but I've been blown away by the intricacies of the game. 2k clearly put a lot of effort into making this game play like the real deal and I think they should be commended for it, not nitpicked to death about it.

# 48 clipperfan811 @ 10/09/10 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
after playing the game for 3 days, IMO, I can say that 2k has struck gold again. the last time was with ch2k8.
I still havent touched the my player or Jordan challenge.
I didn not realize the number of shot options thata re available until I went into the practice mode.
In some aspects This game may be too sim, ofr those screaming sim. but 2k did everyone a favor by including so many modes.
Its as if 2k produced a basketball game like it was going to be their last basketball game ever made.
the little nuances, are incredible.
AI logic on point. its great to see a dominant player actually dominate a reserve player. case in point. Duncan vs Dirk, I had to sub Dirk in my fantasy association, I brought in JJ Hickson, and the AI continually exploited this match up, so much so that I was forced to Bring Dirk back in.
this was lovely.
There is so much to this game.

only complaint Ive had, is with the fatigue ratings.
I agree with you my friend. It might just be too sim for some and that's why they have the casual setting, rookie difficulty and blacktop modes. As for me I've been waiting for something like this.

I have noticed though that sometimes AI teammates in my player mode do stupid things, and you sort of have to call plays for a few trips to get them back in line. I felt much better when I realized I could call plays even when you're not the point guard (the playcall system just doesn't come up)

# 49 bkrich83 @ 10/09/10 11:12 PM
Quote:
And it's always you making the same-type broad statements. Gonna take a wild guess - pretty sure that was directed at me. As I've said to you so many times before - debate the content of what I've said, don't whine because I was the one that said it.
HIt close to home I guess.

It's a review score. It's totally subjective. No need to bring the same tired compared to Madden argument in to it.

The review is what matters. Arguing over fractions of a point in a completely subjective review score is quite frankly stupid.

# 50 bkrich83 @ 10/09/10 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlstudios189
NBA 2k11 is in a tricky situation like FIFA and MLB the show. It is scored against itself and has trouble topping itself. After this year what can 2k12 do to impress people?
Agreed. You get to certain level of quality do you make changes simply to make changes and risk breaking something that is obviously working?

That's my biggest fear with the Show. Best sports game I have ever played (purely my opinion) I'd hate to see them mucking with the essence of the game simply for the sake of change.

# 51 SteelerSpartan @ 10/09/10 11:38 PM
Quote:
When I look at the Reviews section, the things that are most visible are the name of the game, the OS review score, and R.S. (which I guess is Reader Score). No captions on the content of the reviews or opinions. It would seem the site is making the review score prevalant, then saying "don't pay attention to it"...? It would be ideal to have a person read a review and gauge themselves if the game is good or bad. But by listing reviews this way you seem to be acknowledging that most people are looking for a quick way to judge the games.

Most of us have been to school and understand there's a difference between getting an "A" in Gym versus getting an "A" in Geometry. So I don't understand the Trials argument - most people understand there's a huge difference between what's expected of an arcade title, a handheld title, or a title purporting itself to be a simulation of a sport. If NBA Jam rates a 9 I'd think most people are smart enough to know that NBA Jam doesn't have the same expectations a NBA2K11 would have, and vice versa. And I think most people would be smart enough to group games like Trials and NBA Jam in one category, and games like The Show, Madden, NCAA, NBA2K, etc. in another.
I agree with you....Madden 11 and this game do not have the same depth or polish.........One clearly outclasses the other

and its sad that 2k doesn't get the full on props they deserve

# 52 bkrich83 @ 10/10/10 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerSpartan
I agree with you....Madden 11 and this game do not have the same depth or polish.........One clearly outclasses the other

and its sad that 2k doesn't get the full on props they deserve
I love the Anti-Madden agenda fueled posts as much as the next guy.

You and Spanks argument seems to be not so much that 2k11 got a 9 (I really don't see how you can complain when a game get's a 9) but the fact that Madden got a 9. In which case you are in the wrong thread.

Seriously arguing about a review score? Wow.

# 53 Rimfro @ 10/10/10 12:33 AM
I'm not saying that there should be tons of easy lay-ups, and dunks, what I am talking about is when the lane is wide open, a guy like D Wade would undoubtedly hit the seam quickly, and finish. There are many times when the lane is unguarded, that you have to fight a guy like D Wade to quickly go right to the basket. There is nonreason why he should be side stepping, or making some awkward turn towards another direction (other than where I am pointing the left stick) that ends up costing me what should be an easy basket.

The same with the contact, back down issue. I'm not talking about getting cut off on my cut, I'm saying that when I am just trying to face-up the defender to use my dribble, having my user controlled player constantly turning around to try a backdown move, on his own. No LT or RT is being pressed. How many times would you see Jordan being dissuaded from using his dribble against an obviously outmatched defender? That is why I said that I only agree in part. Sometimes it just feels like the same, nearly out of control, skating experience. Not always, but it is becoming more noticeable the more I play. If I have a wide open lane with a speed guy like Rose, Rondo, Wade, whomever, it should result in an automatic two. That's what happens in basketball in reality. You shouldn't have to fight the controller to get a player to just run straight to the basket when there is nobody in the paint!

I don't see why some people fail to grasp what some are saying their particular issue is. I can't stand when the simple fundamentals become unnecessarily muddled by less than perfect input response. That's why I made the comment earlier; if this is what I saw in the actual NBA, then I am in the wrong line of work. Because, if I have a wide open lane, unguarded, I will get a quick, easy score...everytime.

This problem carries over into the fast break issue some are experiencing. The same issue, where your players don't feel the need to run a straight line on a fast break, they pause, sidestep, turn around, pull a semi-truck wide right turn, which results in them losing the open opportunity completely. You won't see a guy like Rose, or D Wade, get rundown or take some unnecessary movement that would cost them those easy points, or slow them down. Speed, and those first step killers barely have an advantage over a normal guy that isn't known for his speed or slashing ability. I don't really feel that the gameplay has improved as much as people are giving it credit for. To me, a lot of these problems have been in the game for years.

# 54 myownsun @ 10/10/10 01:30 AM
Great review and i agree with the score and this is the best sports game this gen and possibly ever.

# 55 SeerMagicX @ 10/10/10 02:16 AM
another overrated 2k game. putting jordan in the game doesn't hide the same problems that have plague the series for years... atleast not for me.

# 56 clipperfan811 @ 10/10/10 03:34 AM
I get what you're saying Rimfro:

It definitely should be easier to make a quick straight line dash. The culprit in my eyes is the clunky little animation you get every time you hit the turbo. Definitely not everyone but the elite quick guys should definitely have it easier.

I'm going to look for how quickly wide open lanes close up and how much fighting the controls I have to do. But to be honest I've been playing the game non-stop almost since it came out and it hasn't jumped out at me as an issue; I'll take a closer look.

We all wish a video game could capture the trill of playing actual basketball, the speed, the contact, ect but I honestly don't see any game capturing it any better up to this point.

Given enough time everything in life will show it's flaws, I just try to enjoy the positive aspects, especially so soon after release. I mean lets be real here, this is a great playing basketball game.

# 57 swaldo @ 10/10/10 04:43 AM
OS has reviewed a total of 530 games and only 3 were rated a 9.5, so for those who feel 2k11 should get that extra half point apparently it's a rare bird here.

There are a ton of 9.0 and 8.0 scores but not many 8.5's either. No real point to this and it's not a complaint, just sayin'.

# 58 Rimfro @ 10/10/10 05:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipperfan811

It definitely should be easier to make a quick straight line dash. The culprit in my eyes is the clunky little animation you get every time you hit the turbo. Definitely not everyone but the elite quick guys should definitely have it easier.

I'm going to look for how quickly wide open lanes close up and how much fighting the controls I have to do. But to be honest I've been playing the game non-stop almost since it came out and it hasn't jumped out at me as an issue; I'll take a closer look.

We all wish a video game could capture the trill of playing actual basketball, the speed, the contact, ect but I honestly don't see any game capturing it any better up to this point.

Given enough time everything in life will show it's flaws, I just try to enjoy the positive aspects, especially so soon after release. I mean lets be real here, this is a great playing basketball game.
That is pretty much my only issue; the way the respond on that first step. I've improved that a little by adjusting the camera, and it's only costing me 8-10 points, but when you are playing with the Grizz its the difference between winning and losing.

# 59 clipperfan811 @ 10/10/10 05:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipperfan811

This is what I did:
I created two players

1. "quick guy" 6'3" athletic pg 99 speed, 99 quickness, 99 handles, 99 on ball D

2. "avg joe" 6'3" athletic pg: 80 speed, 80 quickness, 80 handles, 80 on ball D

*test victim Jason Kapono: 64 speed, 58 quickness 58 on ball D

I put them both on the 76ers, and I went into scrimmage mode. 76ers vs 76ers.

I played for a bit on different difficulty settings using "quick guy" and "avg joe" being guarded by Kapono. I messed around looking for situations where I had space to get to the rim, when I found those gaps I'd hit sprint and try to get to the rim in the straightest line possible. This is what I found out:

-There's a noticeable difference in how smoothly quick guy and avg joe got to the hoop. -Difficulty affected how help D reacted more than how quickly the guy I beat recovered.
-Even with better defenders, once I found a open gap I still got to the rim.

I took a few quick clips and put them on my youtube site. Take into account my goal was hitting the open space and getting to the rim, most of the time help D comes and forces a difficult shot or miss. The point is getting to the hoop in as straight a line as possible.

here's the link http://www.youtube.com/user/bigballer811?feature=mhum

**edit**I was playing using broadcast camera, the replays however are showing the 2k cam angle**

# 60 TombSong @ 10/10/10 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
I love the Anti-Madden agenda fueled posts as much as the next guy.

You and Spanks argument seems to be not so much that 2k11 got a 9 (I really don't see how you can complain when a game get's a 9) but the fact that Madden got a 9. In which case you are in the wrong thread.

Seriously arguing about a review score? Wow.
Everybody that don't agree with you has an agenda. You always try to belittle people for their point of view and drag people into debates about why they think the way they think as though you the only one with the right answers. Then on top of that act like you are Mrs. Cleo and can read minds and gonna post why someone is posting what they are posting. BK said it so it must be true ?

You "wowing" him for debating a review score. If its so trivial why are you in the thread bugging out over it ? You can agree or disagree with whatever anyone says, but how you gonna try and trash someones opinion and then
make them feel like they shouldn't express it ?

As for the review score. I think most people are gonna clump sports game scores together to some degree and then apply whatever logic runs through their minds about games in general to it all.

First thing I thought after seeing the score is after all the NBA2K game brought to the table this year, it gets a 9. 9 ain't a bad score. Then you think about Madden. It also got a 9. Madden from game play to features to presentation does not stack up to older games in its own sport and certainly does not measure up to what NBA2k11 has produced in some peoples opinions. So naturally flags are gonna rise on the scores. How can a game that is still trying to catch up to 5 years ago get a 9 and a game that just raised the bar for sports games in general get the same score ?
I think any reasonable person would look at that question no matter what game we are talking about. It could be Halo, Call of Duty, whatever.

You ever stop to think maybe its you with the "agenda" always trying to point out why people post what they post ?

People judge these games against the games own history and other games(even games not in the same genre). That's fact not "agenda". To act like its otherwise or trivial because you don't agree with it is IMO silly. However I unlike you wont try and demean people or make them feel like they shouldn't be posting what they think.

That sounds like an "agenda" to rid the board of anyone who don't agree with everything you have to say.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.