Home
OS Scores Explained Madden NFL 12 Overview (Xbox 360)
Pros
Game is a balanced and fun version of the NFL, visuals are pretty, Franchise mode is deep.
Cons
Commentary is horrific, Franchise mode UI is poorly implemented, game is not a realistic simulation.
Bottom Line
Madden NFL 12 is a good but not great game of football marred by realism gaffes and some confusing design decisions.
out of 10
Madden NFL 12 REVIEW

Madden NFL 12 Review (Xbox 360)

Read about how we complete our reviews. You can check out the review process here, and then you can scope out the scoring guidelines and scoring rubric.

Day One: First Impressions
Day Two: Gameplay Impressions
Day Three: Franchise Mode Impressions
Day Four: Presentation Impressions

Gameplay

Madden really feels like a game that can't decide what it wants to be. On one hand, the game strives for realistic results, while on the other it cuts several corners with realism to get there. This is the crux of Madden's gameplay.

You will get realistic results with the game, but you will also see more than enough gaffes on the field, which tends to make the whole thing a bit less believable. But the game is balanced and polished to a point where playing it is far from a bad experience. After about 35 games, it does not appear that the offense or the defense has major advantages within the game, so you will get a good variety of games within Madden.

It is this balance that makes Madden enjoyable; the game can truly have moments where it's quite fun because of the unpredictability. With the beefed up zone defenses -- despite some flaws (discussed in my gameplay impressions piece) -- you have to play a smarter game in order to move the ball down the field. Good variety in your play calling is a necessity as is spreading the ball around. Unfortunately, the unrealistic sides of Madden prevent the game from being a truly cerebral football experience.

Playing defense is boring, with no player-lock camera anywhere to be found. There's not much excitement in terms of how defense is played because the majority of what real defensive coordinators call are located within a clunky audibles/hot routes menu (but at least the Strategy Pad is not the only option this year). The defensive play calling is truly one of my biggest long-term gripes with the series because it's nowhere near realistic, at least in the sense that most defensive coordinators don't have playbooks exactly like offensive coaches. Defense is played under a system with individual assignments, which might just be beyond the scope of what Madden is trying to offer.

One bright spot on defense is playing as a down lineman. The moves in your arsenal, as well as the new blocking-collision system, will allow for some more fun when rushing the quarterback. However, the claims of the demise of suction blocking were greatly exaggerated because you will get pulled into a blocking animation by just making contact with a lineman. This is not the elimination of suction blocking, but rather, a new and terrifying evolution of our most hated issue. This will create some incredibly annoying moments where you feel like you are on your way to a sack only to get sucked into a block just like in the past.

The kicking meter is a step backwards for the series. The analog system from the years prior was a much better way to reward players for having a steady hand. If nothing else, the option to choose would have been nice.

The game touts a new collision system, and the results are sometimes quite solid, but the changes are at best subtle compared to prior editions. Madden vets will recognize the new tackles and some of the new running animations right off, but these are not additions that will spur much excitement for fans who were looking for more wholesale changes in the franchise.

Presentation

After years of the same old junk, the new camera angles and effects are a huge step forward for the Madden series. The camera angles add necessary realism to the broadcast presentation, and the new team intros give the game a touch of authenticity. The new statistical wipes and broadcast feel of the game are completely noticeable from the start. Overall, the additions in this area are a huge step forward for the game's lifespan because the game definitely just "feels" improved.

I've found that after a few dozen games, the intros have actually become perfectly skippable because they don't offer anything new or exciting after seeing them a few times. That does not mean they were not a good addition, just that they make up one part of what should be an enjoyable intro package.

For all the good that the new cameras bring to the game, the commentary seems to suck the life out of much of the enjoyment. Gus Johnson and Cris Collinsworth are perhaps the worst major video game announce team in some time. Both are talented announcers, but the implementation of commentary is just horrid in Madden. Both guys will see their pitches, inflections and more change over the course of a sentence while also calling out wrong names, team names and even just calling players by their numbers.

The rest of the audio package is adequate, but nowhere near great. The crowds are so-so and don't really feel alive, and the rest of the sound effects are not all that spectacular. There is some exaggeration at times on the sounds of hits as well, which is a minor annoyance to me but most likely will be overlooked (or even enjoyed) by some.

Simulation Realism

Madden is a game that claims to be a football simulation, so when holding the game to that standard, you will see it actually falls woefully short.

The line play in Madden is still a mess, as pulling guards have huge issues with figuring out where to go after they begin to pull. At least half of the time, they simply don't block anyone. The pass blocking is also quite bad, as players don't pick up blitzers all that well, and oftentimes you can rush three players and get the same result as rushing five or six because linemen don't effectively double up on a three-man rush.

However, the line play has some bright spots. The pocket formation on pass plays and straightforward run blocking is just fine, and sometimes it even wanders into borderline brilliant territory. For true trench warriors, you will absolutely hate how linemen still "stand up" to block in EA football. It's one of those things that does not change the gameplay, but it just looks bad to the educated football viewer.

AI QBs are a mixed bag. They are very effective at throwing balls in the middle third of the field and in the flats, but anything on the outside is a fiasco. I kept stats through three games just to test this theory out, and I found that AI QBs had a completion percentage of 65 percent over the middle (respectable for sure) and 15 percent on the outside. That's a discrepancy that's incredibly easy to adjust to as a defensive coach.

The beefed up zone defenses suffer from the same problems as the NCAA zone defenses, so the same tactics to exploit the zones in NCAA can be used in Madden. Zone defenders are too slow to leave their zones and/or to adjust to the play at hand. They will oftentimes not migrate to a wide open receiver just in front of them or leave their assignment to give chase to a running QB until the play is already several yards downfield, resulting in big gains while scrambling with a fast QB.

The WR/DB interactions are anything but realistic because players don't jockey for position, and there are frequent occurrences of defensive backs actually going straight through wide receivers to make a play on the ball. This is a huge problem because you will assume your receiver has positioning, but due to a lack of collision detection a corner will simply move in front of a wide receiver and make the interception. (This actually becomes worse as you up the difficulty level.)

Other than the flaws noted above, there are also serious issues with clipping (such as running backs running "through" fallen down linemen), and there are a ton of reach tackles that should never succeed in real life.

Simply put, while Madden is a fun and balanced game, it's not a realistic game in the simulation sense.

Online play in Madden seems solid in the pre-release online world. The servers are probably not under too much pressure yet, but I didn't encounter much lag or anything of that sort so far this year. In reality, the jury is still out on online play because there's no way to really give it a fair judgment until every Madden gamer starts hitting the servers at the same time. As with the Iowa primaries in presidential elections, the early results are only a general guide for the rest of the race.

The features available to online gamers are a mix of old and new. Online Franchise has not received any significant additions. Instead of online franchise improvements, we received a new feature called Online Communities in its place. Communities allow up to 2,000 like-minded Madden gamers to basically play against each other and compete for the top of the community leaderboard while being united by certain settings and rules. For sites with active online audiences like OS, this is an unbelievably cool feature. For people who just wanted to play with their buddies in a fully fleshed out franchise mode online, not so much.

Ultimate Team makes its triumphant return with a familiar formula. The mode can be downright addicting as you trade cards and build a better and better team. For some reason, it has not caught on like the FIFA mode has, but I recommend giving it a try because I think you could find yourself hooked very quickly based off of my full experiences with the mode last year.

(We will check back on online play after everyone gets their hands on it this week.)

Franchise Mode

Franchise mode was the greatest beneficiary in the yearly development cycle improvements list. The mode has seen some major additions like a new free-agent bidding system, a new rookie scouting system, and all new menus. The results are a bit mixed, but they are certainly more positive than negative.

Since Franchise mode is a mode driven by its user interface (UI), we should probably start with the changes that have been made this year. There are a lot of problems that I detailed in my article this weekend with the UI, and these shortcomings really bring the entire experience down a notch. Yes, there are workarounds and things you can do to overcome these shortcomings, but I'm reviewing a game based off of how it's designed and constructed. The workarounds you can do to spice Franchise mode up will work for some, but that's merely masking the fact the mode is poorly designed and even poorly executed at points.

The other aspects of the mode, and the general additions made to the mode, really make it one of the deepest in our genre in terms of the control you actually get over your franchise. Again, it's just a shame that a lot of this control is behind clunky menus or even confusing processes.

Miscellaneous

Superstar mode includes a couple changes. For one, the new way you earn points for attributes is a step closer towards what NCAA does in the Road to Glory mode. However, the mode still lags behind its counterparts in this genre, and there's no disguising that.

The team customization options, especially in Franchise mode, are really neat. I have not dug too deeply into these options, but there should be enough to keep many satisfied. The roster-editing options seem adequate, although I ran into several freezes while perusing them so beware.

Final Thoughts

Madden NFL 12 is definitely a step in the right direction for the series, but there are still things holding this game back from greatness. The clunky UI in franchise mode, the horrible commentary, and the corners the game cuts to sacrifice realism for the appearance of realism all mean the game is still a work in progress. Some of the same bugs and deficiencies that have been in the game are either still in the game or have morphed into something similar to what they we witnessed before (see: suction blocking).

It's hard to say that Madden is on the cusp of greatness because a lot of the same issues that have been holding the series back for years are still here, and one wonders if we are ever going to move beyond this point. However, it also has to be said that the game is a fun brand of football for those who can overlook the fact it's not wholly realistic. If you can stomach the realism gaffes and work through the oftentimes puzzling design decisions, Madden NFL 12 might just be your game.

If you are a longtime Madden skeptic or perhaps even just a casual NFL fan, Madden NFL 12 might not be worth a $60 purchase for you. There are enough problems present to really keep you from enjoying the entire experience. This game is probably a solid buy for fans of the series, and for hardcore NFL fans who also happen to be sports gamers. For everyone else, think about a rental or a discounted version and see if you are on board with what's here this year.

Learning Curve: Casual fans of football and newcomers to Madden will need to take some time to figure out what's going on. Longtime fans of the series will jump right in and have immediate success.

Control Scheme: There are clear positives and negatives. The audibling system is a clear step backwards compared to NCAA, but the control scheme overall is miles ahead of where the series was just a few short years ago.

Visuals: If there is one thing that Madden has going for it, it's the fact the game can be absolutely gorgeous. During late-afternoon games when shadows are being cast on the field, the scenes in the stadiums can be stunning.

Field Audio: The audio of players on the field and the crowds are merely adequate. It's not a negative by any means, but there's simply nothing here that stands out above the pack in our genre.

Commentary: The commentary duo of Gus Johnson and Cris Collinsworth is poorly implemented and lacking in scope. Pitch and tone changes, plus missing or messed up names are just inexcusable in 2011.

Playbooks: The playbooks in Madden are put together pretty well on the offensive side. On the defensive side of things, no one calls plays like EA football would have you call them, but the variety of formations and plays is nice.

Score: 7.5 (Good)
"7.0 - 7.5 (Good) -- These games are pretty good, and while having several notable flaws, they generally play well and are quite fun. They definitely are not great yet, but with a few fixes they could get there. These are solid buys, especially if you like the sport."

Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 wallrose @ 08/31/11 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMRock
I really think people take the simulation thing too far with Madden. Madden is really an inbetween sim/arcade game. If you like flight sims and you have played say IL2 or MS Flight Sim with all the hard stuff turned on and then you go and play that same game with the casual player settings. Madden is that casual player setting. It gives you the feeling of football and the fun of it without having to deal with all the exact stuff you see on the field every Sunday. Like you don't have to go sit at the bench and study overhead shots of how the defense is lined up after you just got picked off on a play that should have worked!

It is what it is. You can have fun with it or not buy it.

On that note it would be nice if the NFL let others use the license so they could make that Sim game or NFL Blitz game if they want. Or even make it for the PC!!! I mean in 2005 I owned both Madden 05 and 2K5 its not like there isn't room for people that love football to buy more than one game. I mean how many of us buy NCAA and Madden in the same year. (me for one)
@SMGRock thank you thats all i want open fair comeptition and that proves that EA is medicore

# 122 titans321 @ 08/31/11 09:02 AM
I think gameplay-wise, it's fine. I don't know what else they could do but fix a few bugs.

What it's lacking is game modes. When I get bored, I don't know what to do. Franchise isn't my thing, and Superstar isn't very enticing either. You are left with practically 2 game modes besides just regular games.

Also, has anyone else noticed that they removed the 40 yard dash and weight lifting mini-games? Why would they do that? It's not a big deal or anything, but what's the point in removing them? Some people enjoyed them.

# 123 Blazzen @ 08/31/11 09:26 AM
Thanks for the review Chris.

This is the feeling I had from the demo. The game has improved in some areas, taken steps back in others and some things (bugs/problems) have remained the same.

I'm not buying it this year after getting it for the past 4 years. The demo just felt very lack luster and it just didn't do anything for me. This felt like a roster update more than any other year.

The sim vs. arcade argument isn't valid. Madden is touted by EA to be a simulation - EVERYTHING you see on Sunday. I understand why they cater to the casual fan: wider audience = more sales. It's not everything I see on Sunday though nor is it for a lot of knowledgeable football fans.

They should change their marketing plan to "Everything the average fan sees on Sunday." That would be more accurate. The hardcore football fans know better than to think this is a sim.

EDIT: I will admit the fact that Star Wars: The Old Republic and Battlefield 3 are launching soon is a large factor. If there wasn't anything else better to play I would probably get Madden. The fact is there are better choices. I won't miss a REAL Panthers game this season but I won't be playing as them in Madden this season.

# 124 paptester @ 08/31/11 10:12 AM
Ever since the Next Gen Consoles Madden has been below average. they stripped the game of alot of features and in game features from the ps2 days and starting to add some of them back now and calling them new like we are stupid. i was an ea fanatic back in the day and used to argue with 2k fans over who was better. i guess i was wrong

# 125 swaldo @ 08/31/11 01:33 PM
I used to have fire breathing out of my nose during a Madden release. This year I didn't even download the demo which is pretty sad. I guess I should because it's free right? But the motivation wasn't there at all. I read a couple pages of impressions and this review confirms it, I'll just be frustrated so why even bother? I'll just wait until all the patches are out and maybe buy it for $20 used. Until then, it's another year of text based football and APF.

# 126 ukslamjam @ 08/31/11 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaldo
I used to have fire breathing out of my nose during a Madden release. This year I didn't even download the demo which is pretty sad. I guess I should because it's free right? But the motivation wasn't there at all. I read a couple pages of impressions and this review confirms it, I'll just be frustrated so why even bother? I'll just wait until all the patches are out and maybe buy it for $20 used. Until then, it's another year of text based football and APF.
I completely agree with you word for word! To be honest I feel the same about NCAA, I suppose that's why I'm sticking with NCAA Football 11/APF this year and continue to play my text based sports games.

I've started to get a little tired of the year on year release of slightly rehashed games.

# 127 TalenT @ 08/31/11 02:26 PM
I love OS! I almost got this game too. Every year I try to give Madden the benefit of the doubt. They talk a good game, but always seem to let you down when the product comes out. I DO agree it has improved. I'm just not convinced that it's enough to warrant a purchase. I'll wait for 2K12.

# 128 $NevaBroke$ @ 08/31/11 07:37 PM
Is anyone on here really surprised with this review for madden? I mean really? Chris thanks for helping me save my $65 that I work soo hard to make. Waiting for "band-aids" for ncaa and madden to look, play, sound, and feel is just out of control. We do this to ourselves by continuing to buy ea's half finished football games. The vicious circle continues boys and girls.

# 129 jackw @ 08/31/11 07:47 PM
It's crazy, when the game really sucks, OS gives it a 9.0, when it's actually pretty good, you give it a 7.5? Make up your mind bro.

# 130 Ducereus @ 08/31/11 09:20 PM
Does anyone know why I can't heal any of my legendary cards in Madden 12???

# 131 jamie1981 @ 08/31/11 09:32 PM
Okay so this is the first time in about 10 years that I didn't buy this game on the release date. I am so confused on whether to buy this or not.

# 132 PVarck31 @ 08/31/11 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackw
It's crazy, when the game really sucks, OS gives it a 9.0, when it's actually pretty good, you give it a 7.5? Make up your mind bro.
New scoring system. Read it at the top of the review.

# 133 Vechi8 @ 08/31/11 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackw
I agree Jackw. This thread is all over the place. You have the reviewer justifying how a 7.5 is a nice score and that things are gonna change. Ironic that it would start with the game that is absolutely punished year after year and I admit in some cases warranted for sure. I think that the game is by far the best brand of football that I have played out of the box period. IMO it feels much better than NCAA but somehow gets a score well below. Do yourselves a favor and at least rent it, you could be in for a nice surprise

# 134 ty5oke @ 08/31/11 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vechi8
I agree Jackw. This thread is all over the place. You have the reviewer justifying how a 7.5 is a nice score and that things are gonna change. Ironic that it would start with the game that is absolutely punished year after year and I admit in some cases warranted for sure. I think that the game is by far the best brand of football that I have played out of the box period. IMO it feels much better than NCAA but somehow gets a score well below. Do yourselves a favor and at least rent it, you could be in for a nice surprise
The scoring system was changed before this review.

# 135 Vechi8 @ 08/31/11 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty5oke
The scoring system was changed before this review.
Ahh. There goes my conspiracy theory against EA and Madden!

# 136 sheredia @ 08/31/11 10:36 PM
i just think it's interesting where madden has come since 2005 without any competition......just imagine how good it would be if there was another game to compete with. you would think by now they would have fully intregated the espn presentation along with a halftime show, etc. also, commentary by al michaels and collinsworth would be nice. the lighting/weather needs to change during the course of the game as well as uniforms getting dirty.

# 137 sheredia @ 08/31/11 10:39 PM
and by the way, there is not NEARLY the buzz on a madden release day/midnight release like there used to be.......

# 138 papasmurf @ 08/31/11 11:38 PM
i downloaded the demo, i like it alot better than 11 thats for sure. i rented 11 and every game was a 55-45 shootout. ncaa 11 was a pretty good game and i thought madden 11 would be too, but the two played nothing alike. i bought ncaa12 and it seems for the first time they played quite similiar. ill have to rent it and i'll probably buy it by christmas or better yet let someone else pay for it.
ncaa 12 gets a solid 8-8.5 from me. just based on the demo i would give madden 12 a similiar score.

# 139 roadman @ 08/31/11 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheredia
and by the way, there is not NEARLY the buzz on a madden release day/midnight release like there used to be.......
Eh, depends. Our GS had 440 on reserve. They expected about half of that at midnight.

The line was much longer than last year. Took me 10 minutes last year, this year took me 20 minutes to go through the line.

# 140 JohnDoe8865 @ 09/01/11 12:21 AM
I'm interested in the business of gaming as well, because in so many ways it determines what we will get a chance to play 2-3 years down the road. I'll be very interested to get some sales numbers for Madden 12 with the mixed reviews. I have to agree about the buzz being less this year. Of the people I talk to that play games (not online), most of them are either not interested or are down on Madden this year b/c of reviews and bad word of mouth.

Small sample size I know..

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.