Home
OS Scores Explained College Hoops 2K8 Overview (Xbox 360)
Pros
Legacy mode; Customization; Newly edited rosters
Cons
Gameplay didn't pass the test of time; Simulated upsets happen too frequently; Outdated graphics
Bottom Line
The Legacy Mode is more than enough to offset unsatisfying gameplay. Given the current low price of this game, it’s a no-brainer purchase.
out of 10
College Hoops 2K8 REVIEW

College Hoops 2K8 Review (Xbox 360)

College Hoops 2K8, though well-received, didn’t exactly rack up the accolades when it first came out almost five years ago. In fact, Operation Sports gave the game a measly seven on the old review scale -- nowhere near an score for what has been considered an all-time classic by the OS community. But since then, a devoted cult following has sprung up around the game. A large community of gamers continues to play College Hoops 2K8 religiously. For this piece, I revisited the game based on the current OS review standards and used rosters from the 2011-12 season to see how well the game holds up and how we might judge this much-beloved title if it came out today. 

Critics of the sports gaming genre claim that many new games are little more than a roster update. Well, thanks to some talented and dedicated gamers, College Hoops 2K8 gets that roster update every year (and at no cost to gamers!). For this piece, I used Raiderfan’s most recent roster set.

The fact that high-quality rosters like Raiderfan’s exist speaks to one of the game’s strengths – customization. Individual players can be edited all the way down to their potential ratings. The create-a-school feature is solid as well. Add on the many unlockables, including jerseys and arenas, and there’s a lot to do in this one.  

Gameplay

In the gameplay department, it’s hard to complain too much about balance issues – of which there are plenty – because the game’s sliders function so well. Unfortunately, the core gameplay is really showing its age, and that’s a problem sliders can’t fix. Driving to the hoop is awkward. Quite frankly, the game doesn’t play well on the default camera angle. It’s very difficult to find space to drive to the hoop on default settings, and without using an end-to-end camera, it’s next-to-impossible. The inside game is difficult to control and your players miss a surprising percentage of inside shots on default settings. 

One feature worth mentioning is the “sixth man” momentum effects. When the home team is playing well, a little meter on the screen fills up to reflect their success. As the meter fills, the crowd grows increasingly raucous and home team players gain a boost in their ratings. The visiting team can halt this momentum by making their own great plays or calling a timeout. It’s a simple feature that’s executed very well. Games at neutral sites even include a meter for both teams, which shows nice attention to detail by the developers (Why is this not in NBA 2K?).

The gameplay isn’t terrible; it’s just unsatisfying, especially now that we’ve seen what is possible on current-gen consoles. For me, NBA 2K11 was the first game to really nail the interactions between a dominant point guard and his on-ball defender. After getting used to breaking down CPU defenses with speed or driving to the hoop and kicking the ball back out for a wide-open three, it’s tough to go back to a game where those things don’t really happen. In its time, College Hoops 2K8 had top-notch gameplay. But it can’t compare to recent titles.

Game Modes

Thankfully, the game’s version of a career mode, called Legacy Mode, is still stellar. Gamers have two options: Career and Open. The Career version has you starting out at a small school, building your reputation and ratings en route to better job offers. Meanwhile, Open Legacy Mode allows you to take over any program and max out your coach’s ratings right away. Whichever option you choose, you can swap teams between conferences, customize schedules and even add your team to a variety of in-season tournaments. 

Legacy Mode remains one of the deepest and most fun career modes ever seen in a sports game. The key to the mode’s success lies in how well recruiting works. You can begin tracking players as high school freshmen, and maintaining contact through their first three years of high school pays dividends when you’re recruiting them as seniors. Player ratings are gradually revealed through contact and scouting actions. Recruiting doesn’t include any of the “pitches” we see in the NCAA Football series, but it still feels rich. Perhaps the coolest part is that lower-ranked recruits can still turn in to difference-makers. Features like player progression and morale work better than expected as well. Simply put, Legacy Mode stands the test of time. 

Another cool Legacy Mode feature is the season preview, weekly wrap-up and Selection Sunday shows. The in-season shows aren’t complicated, but they add another layer of realism and immersion to the mode. The Selection Sunday show, though, is still awesome. There’s legitimate tension in watching the brackets revealed game-by-game. The show even identifies bubble teams before the brackets are revealed and finishes with a “who’s in/who’s out” breakdown of these teams. Again, immersion matters, and this feature is still a highlight. 

Unfortunately, the simulation engine generates too many weird upsets. Sometimes, you don’t want to play a game against Radford or Western Kentucky when you can just sim past it and move on to a more interesting game. But I lost simulated games against both in my first season – before winning simulated games against multiple top-10 opponents. College basketball is unpredictable, but this game takes it a little too far. Then again, I'm sure Duke and Missouri would have something to say about this.

Final Thoughts

Overall, the graphics and gameplay of College Hoops 2K8 don’t hold up very well. In fact, I’m surprised at how little I enjoyed the actual basketball games. But Legacy Mode remains one of the best career modes in sports gaming history. If 2K slapped college uniforms on [I]NBA 2K11’s[/I] gameplay and attached to the College Hoops 2K8 Legacy Mode, the result might be the greatest sports game ever. 

Graphics: Player models and faces that were goofy four years ago now look ghoulish. Animations are okay, although some player movements are clunky. The arenas, though, are beautifully rendered and incredibly detailed. 

Sound: Although the commentary gets old quickly, the crowd noise is great. It’s rare that a college sports game captures the intensity of an NCAA crowd, but this one does. 

Learning Curve: This game is challenging even on the default settings. But the controls are simple enough that anyone with a passing familiarity with basketball should figure things out in no time at all. 

Replay Value: Immense. Legacy Mode is deep, engrossing, and fun. It’s not hard to see why so many people are still playing. 

Member Comments
# 61 l3ulvl @ 06/04/12 12:04 AM
^^ I love it man, way to take the initiative

Would love to hear if/when they respond.

# 62 woogie98 @ 06/19/12 10:33 AM
Got it for $6 at GameStop....Those IDIOTS

# 63 woogie98 @ 06/19/12 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithdynasty
I just posted this in a blog as well...

At this point my desire for college hoops 2k to return with updated gameplay is so great, I wrote this email to 2k's partnerships department. Let me know your thoughts....

To Whom it may concern,

I have an unprecedented "Never Been Done Before" opportunity for 2K
sports! As a member of the basketball gaming community, I would like to
begin a project on kickstarter.com (http://www.kickstarter.com/start)
to fund the resurgence of the College Hoops 2k series. Kickstarter is
a website dedicated to funding creative projects and initiatives.
Although not every proposed project is successful, many video game
projects have raised millions of dollars to fund their ventures. Just
recently "Double Fine" adventure game raised over $3.3 Million while
it only had a fundraising goal of $400K, with just over 87K backers
pledging various amounts of money
(http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...fine-adventure).

Based on my reading, it appears 2k chose to stop making this game
because the CLC licensing fees were extremely high coupled with the
lack of consumer interest in the game. I am aware that I cannot
validate this information, as I do not work for 2K. Personally, I
believe the consumer interest is there, especially if the "community"
helps spread the word (word of mouth is the best method of
advertising). With kickstarter.com, not only can you better estimate
the amount of consumer interest, but the super fans of the game (like
myself) can donate greater sums of money to push this project through.
I am beginning this venture with an email to 2ksports with
the following goals in mind:

1. Direction pertaining to who would be the best person to correspond
with for this inquiry

2. The minimum amount of money it would take for 2k to restart
production (this information is required by kickstarter as On
Kickstarter, a project must reach its funding goal before time runs
out or no money changes hands. That way, no one is expected to develop
a project with an insufficient budget)

Secondly, I would like to highlight why I believe this could be great for 2K.

1. PR- This is an excellence story! The passion of the gaming
community coming together to bring a game back. This would help kick
off the marketing of the game, as this has never been done before, and
2K would be front and center.

2. Over abundance - Games often raise much more than their funding goal.

3. Win-Win opportunity for 2k sports
Amazing.. Well put out sir.. Tell us if 2k responds

# 64 SonOfEd @ 06/20/12 10:10 AM
If you get their ear, maybe propose it being sold as a 2 disk set w/ NBA 2K. I always felt that would be a good way to carry the series w/ struggling sales.

# 65 Dos Peninsulas @ 06/20/12 06:18 PM
With 2k Share we can update our own rosters. We've been able to make it all the way to College Hoops 2k12 so far creating our own rosters (well not me, but awesome people who I thank immensely). While they may not be 100% thorough, they work pretty well.

Honestly, because of 2k Share they could probably just make this game every three or four years and allow us to update the rosters in between. If anything, please just make one more version so we can have the 68 team tournament (and an out-of-this-world My Player mode) .

# 66 R1zzo23 @ 06/20/12 08:34 PM
Even if they just gave us the same game with 2k11 gameplay, updated conferences, updated tournament and some recruiting tweaks, we could keep the game going strong another six years easily!

# 67 testorz @ 06/24/12 12:36 PM
I miss the College 2K series and wish 2k or someone would bring out a quality college b ball game ! I also miss EA's Triple Play/MVP baseball series as well ! I fire up my PS2 from time to time to play those games ! LOL !

# 68 R1zzo23 @ 06/24/12 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by testorz
I miss the College 2K series and wish 2k or someone would bring out a quality college b ball game ! I also miss EA's Triple Play/MVP baseball series as well ! I fire up my PS2 from time to time to play those games ! LOL !
If I could play MVP 05 on my 360 with updated rosters, I would certainly still be playing that game.

# 69 Sinner @ 06/24/12 06:01 PM
I wish I could play 2K College Basketball with My Player...I'm sure it would never happen but I can dream. Looking for this game also..hope to find it again. Never sold it..let a friend borrow it and it got messed up a few years ago and I was sick.

# 70 ImaProblem @ 07/06/12 01:24 AM
2K8 is crushing NCAA BBall to this day! 2KSports for life!!!

# 71 PS3rocks09 @ 07/25/12 07:57 PM
if EA made NCAA Basketball again i would get it unless 2k made it too

# 72 Butta41295 @ 07/25/12 11:31 PM
Yeah and the layup line was a cool feature too.

# 73 Butta41295 @ 07/25/12 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl
One of the coolest moments I ever had in 2k8 was when I was recruiting in Legacy mode. I had two players that were of the same class, same city. I realized that I was recruiting twins.
The morris twins perhaps? Or the zeller bros or lopez brothers?

# 74 Butta41295 @ 07/25/12 11:46 PM
The block animations are way better. You can actually send the ball back as opposed to being "lucky enough" to get a hand on the shot and tip it like in the new 2k. Also you dont get locked into animations like getting ripped of the ball or having the cpu alter your shot so it can get blocked while the cameras flash.

The crossovers suck tho. You have to e in a certain position to drive someone. If you're not, ypu'll get stripped.

Classic game though.

# 75 Butta41295 @ 07/25/12 11:58 PM
Man, the press on here really causes me to turn the ball over. If im down, it allows me to clomb back into the game.

NBA 2K press sucks and doesnt work at all. You can barely double team on that game.

# 76 VandyRedskins21 @ 07/26/12 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butta41295
The crossovers suck tho. You have to e in a certain position to drive someone. If you're not, ypu'll get stripped.
Well it's kind of hard to do a crossover if you are not in the right position to make the move. Of course you will fall over if you are holding the sprint button running full speed at your defender mashing the y and b buttons.

Other than that I would like to be the first to congratulate you on the rare Quadruple post. You just did the equivalent of hitting for the cycle in baseball here on OS.

# 77 Butta41295 @ 07/26/12 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyRedskins21
Well it's kind of hard to do a crossover if you are not in the right position to make the move. Of course you will fall over if you are holding the sprint button running full speed at your defender mashing the y and b buttons.

Other than that I would like to be the first to congratulate you on the rare Quadruple post. You just did the equivalent of hitting for the cycle in baseball here on OS.
hahahaha
HOLD YOUR APPLASE HOLD YOUR APPLAUSE

# 78 SkillzKillz719 @ 03/10/13 11:03 PM
This just makes me sad thinking about it... :/

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.