Home
OS Scores Explained Madden NFL 13 Overview (Xbox 360)
Pros
Infinity engine; Connected Careers; Scouting
Cons
Lack of fantasy draft; Few repeated commentary lines; Player interaction sometimes gets too goofy
Bottom Line
Madden NFL 13 is the best Madden ever made. This is a must buy for any sports gaming fan out there.
out of 10
Madden NFL 13 REVIEW

Madden NFL 13 Review (Xbox 360)

“Chase your dream.”

That’s what my coaches used to tell me. It’s what my friends and family tell me to this day. But what if my dreams and aspirations always involved playing or coaching in the NFL? Sad to say that for myself, and probably most of you, that playing in the NFL just isn’t going to be happening anytime soon. So we do what we do best, we compromise and try and fulfill are dreams within the Madden football series.

Well thanks to the near-complete redesign of the said series, in Madden NFL 13 those dreams may be able to finally come to fruition more than ever. With new animations, the most innovative Madden feature to date – and possibly any sports game ever – Connected Career mode, and the introduction of the Infinity engine, Madden NFL 13 should finally be able to please both the hardcore and casual gamers.

Being skeptical when reviewing the most anticipated sports game of the year is a must. You find yourself looking for wrongs moreso than rights. But after playing Madden for a week, those wrongs don’t tend to come up too often.

The rights all begin with the new Infinity engine, the staple of Madden’s core gameplay. When players interact on the field it seems as close to lifelike as a video game can get. From the gang tackles to the after-the-play stumbles, each collision shows something unseen.

Within the running game lies the engine’s beauty. Now more than ever you must pay attention to your blockers, because without them the halfback would just stumble his way through defenders until he falls down. But again, seeing the way the runner bounces of off would-be tacklers has to put a smile on everyone’s face.

During the run game, line interaction is at its best. When running off the right tackle, often times you’ll see a different player interaction. Also, depending on the skill of the defensive end, you could see an impressive swim move that will instantly lead to a loss of yards.

The line interaction has been much improved all around to be sure. The improvements are more noticeable on the defensive side, as pressuring the quarterback seems easier than ever. In the NFL – and in Madden NFL 13 – the quarterback has around 3 to 5 seconds to get rid of the ball; in past Maddens gamers would have drop backs that could last up to 10 seconds. The pressure put on by the defense is an adjustment, but the end result is well worth it.

With the added defensive pressure, the passing game has become much more precise. The need to hit wideouts at the perfect time is more important than ever. It might take a while to get used to the new timing, which results in multiple interceptions, but once you relearn the passing game, and its welcome addition of hundreds of new passing animations, everything should be just fine.

Staying on the path of the passing game, the defensive AI is almost too smart. At long last, once the ball is thrown each and every defender doesn’t know exactly were it Is going – but there is still an issue. Interceptions are much more frequent than in years past. The AI will jump in front, behind or on top of wherever you’re throwing the ball. Once you get used to the new gameplay, though, the interceptions will drop sightly. It’s still difficult to judge if the increase in picks are due to the gameplay or to the adaptation of the Infinity engine.

When all of these improvements are put together, it creates the feel of a completely revamped way to play on offense. Now more than ever must you have a gameplan with a nice mix of both a ground and air game. Depending on which team you use you may run more often, but in Madden NFL 13 the run seems to actually set up the pass for a good change.

Defense on the other hand, though feels different – and better – still feels like it’s lacking something.

The aforementioned defensive line play is an absolute blast. Though frustrating when your friends and the CPU are sacking you left and right, there isn’t much that can top the pure ecstasy of sacking the quarterback. Unfortunately the amount of sacks is unrealistic to the point where I’m seeing six to seven sacks per team. This is where EA Sports decided to sacrifice a little bit of realism to add in a good amount of fun – after all, it is a video game.

Also new to defensive play is the love-it-or-hate-it ball hawk. When the opponent throws a pass, once you switch to the defender you can hold down Y or triangle to attempt to intercept the ball. In the past the timing had to be done nearly perfect. The change has increased the number of interceptions too much, but it should be one of the first, and easiest, places to patch the game.

Simulation Realism

Now we get to the section that has a reputation for turner gamers off. I’m tired of reiterating how past Maddens have come and failed, so let’s cut to the chase.

The defensive AI has most definitely picked up the slack. Play calling is improved on both sides of the ball. You won’t see the same plays and packages constantly. The offensive AI will do its best to keep you on your toes.

With a nice assortment of plays on offense, the AI has become a worthy opponent. This will be overwhelming for the more casual Madden fans, but the knowledge of when to go into Cover 2 or Cover 3 is more important than ever. This year, in order to know Madden NFL 13 you need to know football. It’s about time I say.

One thing I noticed was that the CPU will start throwing more often when losing. Finally the feeling of having a lead is with you when holding the sticks. With the opponent passing, it gives you a smaller, more successful playbook that gives you the advantage.

But that’s the greener side of things. Each lead that comes with an advantage comes a deficit with its disadvantages. When down, the defense will start to focus a little more on defending the pass. It places you in the position to try and out-gun your opponent, or if you should use up extra time and stick with your gameplan. Ditto for the CPU.

Connected Careers

Though the Infinity engine is a very welcome addition, where Madden gains its replayability is within the new and ever deep Connected Career mode. Gone are the days of Franchise and Superstar modes, as well as the ability to do a fantasy draft. But the subtraction of those takes away absolutely nothing from the game in my mind.

Connected Careers lets you choose between playing as a created, current or legendary coach or player. From there on out the typical gameplay is just as the old modes, but the added depth and immersion takes the NFL experience to the next level. Storylines and Twitter feeds help create your very own NFL, from season-ending injuries to the draft stock of the next Tom Brady. One example was a preseason injury to Alex Smith that led to an EA version of Skip Bayless complaining how Colin Kaepernick couldn’t take the team back to the playoffs. Lo and behold the Niners ended up losing to Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl.

Outside the storylines there will be plenty to do each week. Scouting has been taken to a new level. Earning scouting points allow you to unlock ratings for prospects, giving you a better idea of what you’ll be drafting. And if you don’t scout you might be selecting the next Ryan Leaf.

Experience points are another addition to Madden. You can use those points to upgrade your coach or your player, as well as other players on your roster. If used correctly, your players will slowly progress and earn a higher rating as the season advances.

Progression in general has changed. Potential is gone, but in its place is performance-based progression. Jake Locker only improved his overall rating by two points as he finished his sophomore year with rather unimpressive numbers. The same goes for defensive players – which is an issue. Most gamers don’t prefer to play full 15-minute quarters, so the defensive stats can stil be underwhelming until you figure out the perfect game set up. It slows down the progression for them, which can cause some lower rated players, who will ultimately be good, lose a couple years of the prime.

There are also midseason contract negotiations and a trading block worthy of being called, well, a trading block.

As far as simulated stats go, the hardest of hardcore players won’t be upset. After simulating through five seasons, not once did a running back eclipse the 2,000-yard mark. Maurice Jones-Drew was the closest in 2013, as he gained 1,843 yards on the ground. Other than that, the top running backs typically float around 1,400-1,600 yards. Also, quarterbacks rarely threw for over 5,000 yards as Aaron Rodgers (twice) and Drew Brees (once) were the only times the feat was accomplished.

The Rest of the Best

Presentation has taken another step forward with the addition of Phil Simms and Jim Nantz. The chemistry between the two is undeniable and is actually worth listening in on. I’ll be surprised if people start muting the game this year, at least right off hand. However there are still repeated lines, which was bound to happen anyways. The overlays look freshened up, but nothing to brag about.

But if EA wants to brag, they should start yapping about the game’s atmosphere. I’m a Madden gamer who always muted Mr. Get Away From The Cop Speed to listen to iTunes, but this year I won’t have anything on shuffle unless Chicago makes the Super Bowl. EA Sports went around to each NFL stadium and recorded the crowd. I found myself turning down the TV when playing at CenturyLink Field in Seattle, Wash., before I realized that it only added to the realism.

Quarterback cadences have been added as a nice small detail, but if you don’t play with one of the 15 QBs who have it, you won’t even notice the welcome addition. The Kinect feature is a bit goofy, but in a room full of friends its hard not to have a good time.

Final Thoughts

Honestly, it’s safe to say that this is a very good game. The improvements made to this yearly release are impressive. Past iterations of Madden have done plenty to please and disappoint, but with Madden NFL 13 the disappointments are few and far between.

Though it may not top the charts as Greatest Sports Video Game of All Time, it still does more than enough to keep you playing over and over again. It’s safe to say that Madden football is officially back.

Now go and chase your dreams.

Learning Curve: It might be a bit frustrating at first for the loyal gamers, but after a few games the new gameplay should become second nature.

Control Scheme: Just like the old games.

Visuals: Graphics look solid. Improvements to player and coach faces are a nice touch, as well as the on-field interaction – thanks to the Infinity engine.

Audio: The audio team for Madden is in good hands. This is the best commentary for Madden to date.

Value: If you’ve ever purchased a Madden you better be purchasing this one as well.

Score: 8.5 (Great)

Madden NFL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 rockit @ 08/29/12 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SermoVita

EA just lost me and 10 of its original customers. We have already burned the game and are refusing to buy it without fantasy drafts, position editing, and draft class imports.
While I definitely feel your pain, but you will be back for next years Madden. That's how I was too, then I gave in again, lol

# 122 SamoanSteelerFromAus @ 08/30/12 12:05 AM
# 21 SamoanSteelerFromAus @ Aug 30 (3 Hours Ago)
Its definitely heading in the right direction but I understand the cynicism from a lot of players because this foundation should of been layed a few installments ago. It's hard for some of us to jump up and down praising the game when we've been extremely dissapointed for years and in the back of our heads we KNOW how good this game could be RIGHT NOW if they didn't eff around so long putting in features then stripping them or simply just not putting the effort in.
Personally i still carry resentment because I know if the license wasn't bought, we would have a better madden in our hands right now and better nfl games from other companies... but more importantly I know 2k would have the most amazing nfl game out as we speak because I always found their engine superior.
I'm optimistic about the franchise but like I said, this has been owed to us for some time now so they won't have me throwing them a parade for something there obligated to do since they eliminated the competition.
Just my thoughts. Peace.

# 123 SermoVita @ 08/30/12 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockit
While I definitely feel your pain, but you will be back for next years Madden. That's how I was too, then I gave in again, lol
Actually I don't like ncaa, i only simulate four straight years to get the real players for real draft classes. As for play i have always been highly ranked and beat highly ranked players. That was never a problem, it just gets boring. For me to keep playing madden all year i need to be able to build and draft my own team the way i see fit.

yeah rockit ill be back next year cause i love madden since they stole the original gameplay from Joe Montana Football. I'm a simulation football guy and always will be.

For the 2k fans i owned every version even the dreamcast version, which in my eyes was probably there best game. The d-line play in 2k was better than madden has ever been. Which to me is the funnest part of the whole game. Obviously the sportcenter cutaways were brilliant, and when EA bought the rights i was so happy. But have seem the rights squandered because of no competition. You can only blame the NFL for allowing exclusive rights.

If they patch in a fantasy draft, player editing, and a draft class importing me and my friends will go buy the game, but for now ill play my free burned version when I need a quick fix.

# 124 SermoVita @ 08/30/12 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatRadioGuy
"Gone are the days of ........ as well as the ability to do a fantasy draft. But the subtraction of those takes away absolutely nothing from the game in my mind."

This statement by the reviewer is mind numbing. You choose a philosophy of winning football and implement it through this mode. You test your philosophy against the AI or other live players. The knowledge of what it takes to build a winning football franchise instead of "Y button, LT, Y button, A, A, X".

In your mind, huh, Dustin.

WOW.

With the typos in the article and that statement right there .. you should be disqualified from reviewing 3DS games much less the biggest sports game release of the year.

This isn't so much Dustin's fault as it is the management of this site.

This is Madden. You can't assign a guy like this to review a release of this stature.
I completely agree. After i read that, i stopped reading it all together. Almost word for word what was said on Ign.com which is why i quit reading their review also. Without a fantasy draft the only thing to do on the game is play online, which gets super boring really fast when i win10 in a row and only one game is a decent game, while at least one is somebody trying to run non huddle withe 6 plays. lmao

# 125 johnnydrake @ 08/30/12 02:13 AM
(Restless Rustlings of an "Old Gent") I have been playing Madden Football since its inception Madden 95? (PC DAYS)..... I have enjoyed the gameplay each year with its graphic enhancements etc. However.....tomorrow morning I will be asking for a refund-exchange for MADDEN13. I am an OFFLINE user. Yes...I realize, a 53 year old Dinosaur who enjoys OFFLINE Franchise Mode (Fantasy Drafts...editing players...playing as any of 32 teams) I choose not to play ONLINE. Madden13 as olline gameplay is unuseable (Coach mode is NOT the same as Franchise Mode in Madden12. A lost year of simming an NFL season awaits. As as sidenote....I hope that the the rumors are incorrect.... EA NHL13 has also chosen to drop the traditional Franchise Mode........please "say it aint so.".........

# 126 cjallure24 @ 08/30/12 07:27 AM
I've seen the phrase "headed in the right direction" about this game all through this board, and maybe people are optimistic, but I'm sorry, I can't give this title and EA another year off. It's going on 7 years and this franchise has gotten by on it's name alone not it's reputation of a great game. While other sports titles such as The Show, NBA 2K, and FIFA, and even the WWE titles on THQ have flourished, but Madden is still trying to find itself on this gens consoles. Every year we are introduced to new modes and features while previous modes we thought would be built upon have fallen by the waist side.

The people who like this game, more power to them and I'm happy you are enjoying it. For individuals such as myself who demand a better product for the given price tag, I would promote not settling. Because that's how I would have felt if I would have given in and purchased this game. I've been around these boards long enough to know that constant bashing of any title does not result in progression of said title or discussions pertaining that title. I'll speak louder with my wallet, then any words I can ever type on OS.

# 127 TjJunior @ 08/30/12 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Pittbull
If you love football..and you love video games then this years madden is a MUST BUY i would give it a 8.9 out of 10 ...without doubt the best madden EVER and im talking about pure football "on field" gameplay ...its just a blast to play madden again, finally... IMO opinion if you cant enjoy this years Madden 13 you need to give it up for good as far as video game football goes...just my opinion

yep, Madden finally matches APF in on field play in my eyes. Not gonna retire APF, but I see it getting a lot less play this season.

# 128 TjJunior @ 08/30/12 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydrake
(Restless Rustlings of an "Old Gent") I have been playing Madden Football since its inception Madden 95? (PC DAYS)..... I have enjoyed the gameplay each year with its graphic enhancements etc. However.....tomorrow morning I will be asking for a refund-exchange for MADDEN13. I am an OFFLINE user. Yes...I realize, a 53 year old Dinosaur who enjoys OFFLINE Franchise Mode (Fantasy Drafts...editing players...playing as any of 32 teams) I choose not to play ONLINE. Madden13 as olline gameplay is unuseable (Coach mode is NOT the same as Franchise Mode in Madden12. A lost year of simming an NFL season awaits. As as sidenote....I hope that the the rumors are incorrect.... EA NHL13 has also chosen to drop the traditional Franchise Mode........please "say it aint so.".........

Yeah I believe NHL is calling theirs connected GM. I never knew that guys were so passionate about fantasy draft. I can never do it because guys like t. brady and r. lewis I just can't imagine in another uniform, but I said the same thing about Emmitt Smith too. Im loving madden either way due to the gameplay. Try the NHL demo if you haven't, the gameplay will be worth it I believe.

# 129 TjJunior @ 08/30/12 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onac22
Maddens recievers are stupid! Why did I just watch my reciever step out of the way of the ball one side step left the DB runs up and takes it. Other times ball in air reciever doesn't make any corrections but DBs react to ball in air. All those in air fights for the ball are not real. The recievers do not fight or even play the ball at it's highest point. Sick of Maddens crap recievers. If I watch one more on a back shoulder fade in the endzone do the fall backwards feet in animation while the DB just stands there and grabs the ball Ill puke. Recievers do not read ball flight and adjust even a tiny bit at all the ball has to hit them. While Dbs can make in air reads. WHY does MAdden insist recievers are just glorified labradors that cannot think on there own.

Its because you were watching and not controlling your reciever. To get the results you want you have to control the wideouts. Maybe its just me but, the only time I see the CPU compete for a ball is when Im playing against the CPU. On my team, not hardly ever.

# 130 l8knight1 @ 08/30/12 10:17 AM
I need to spend more time with the game, but so far for me, passing is more fun and much better and I'm trying to get the hang of running. Running isn't as pretty as passing, and I've always thought the simple running animations since the next gen Madden was implemented were always weird and blocky looking. It used to be exciting when a runner broke away on ps2, now you wonder when the guy is gonna really sprint. Running animations are a bit robotic. I'm trying to fix settings to make the interface work better for me. Seems to be a lot of button mashing to get to menus I want, and menus are slow to react. This would improve entire experience. I also have never seemed to have gotten the camera views that I loved in the PS2 versions of Madden. For me, a better angle would improve my impressions on running. I feel I have little control initially on a run play because of it, but again, will spend more time with it. I've been a huge Madden fan since inception, and I do have to say that next gen had lost my interest for some time, but this new game is pretty and shows more potential and has me interested again. I used to love editing players as well. I was a huge fan of historic rosters and that has been gone for some time, but the NFL has had a LOT to say about editing current unis and players to EA, like it or not. Other issues with historic player/team editing includes lawsuits from the likes of Jim Brown, so I understand where EA tries to find a middle road. In the end, it's all about what happens on the field, and overall the game plays really well and I'm looking forward to some head to head and work in the lab. As for what I've read in this forum, I'm disappointed in the bashing as opposed to holding off and offering some solid feedback and advice on gameplay settings and setup that would help everyone. I look forward to everyone's feedback after some good lab time of your own.

# 131 phantomremix @ 08/30/12 10:18 AM
for Madden 13 Update #1:

Please add fantasy draft to the connected career and add the ability to coach your games in connected careers (currently you can coach your games on the exhibition games, but it doesn't work in connected careers) If it has something to do with rankings than make it available only for Private online connected careers. They took both of these options out of last year's game and those are the two main things we do, draft our own teams and coach them.

# 132 l8knight1 @ 08/30/12 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by l8knight1
I need to spend more time with the game, but so far for me, passing is more fun and much better and I'm trying to get the hang of running. Running isn't as pretty as passing, and I've always thought the simple running animations since the next gen Madden was implemented were always weird and blocky looking. It used to be exciting when a runner broke away on ps2, now you wonder when the guy is gonna really sprint. Running animations are a bit robotic. I'm trying to fix settings to make the interface work better for me. Seems to be a lot of button mashing to get to menus I want, and menus are slow to react. This would improve entire experience. I also have never seemed to have gotten the camera views that I loved in the PS2 versions of Madden. For me, a better angle would improve my impressions on running. I feel I have little control initially on a run play because of it, but again, will spend more time with it. I've been a huge Madden fan since inception, and I do have to say that next gen had lost my interest for some time, but this new game is pretty and shows more potential and has me interested again. I used to love editing players as well. I was a huge fan of historic rosters and that has been gone for some time, but the NFL has had a LOT to say about editing current unis and players to EA, like it or not. Other issues with historic player/team editing includes lawsuits from the likes of Jim Brown, so I understand where EA tries to find a middle road. In the end, it's all about what happens on the field, and overall the game plays really well and I'm looking forward to some head to head and work in the lab. As for what I've read in this forum, I'm disappointed in the bashing as opposed to holding off and offering some solid feedback and advice on gameplay settings and setup that would help everyone. I look forward to everyone's feedback after some good lab time of your own.
P.S. Any old Maddenmania guys out there?

# 133 lewski19 @ 08/30/12 10:58 AM
The game on the field is fine, but they have completely ruined the offline franchise mode. Why do you take away people's options? I just cannot understand why games feel the need to limit our choices as players and force us to play the game only there way. I wish I had not bought the game, the offline franchise is all I and my friends care about and it is awful. Also, the menu screens are clumsy and awkward. I just do not get why they changed things that were fine. They have never completely restored franchise mode to what it was before the PS3 and 360 came out, and now we have taken an even bigger step backwards.

# 134 l8knight1 @ 08/30/12 11:12 AM
I keep hearing the same thing and I am mostly an offline player, so I look forward to seeing what has changed franchise-wise.

# 135 Juggernaut55 @ 08/30/12 12:47 PM
WOWWWWW no 2 player franchise/connected careers is really killing this game for me right now...me and my brother can't play together besides exhibition games? FAIL

# 136 sentry85 @ 08/30/12 01:51 PM
The game on the field is great except for spinning players after the play. the commentary is woeful. i spiked the ball to stop the clock and the commentary was that the qb and the rec were not on the same page. after every big run simms says what the big run does is take the will out of the defense. the CCM is also horrible. tough to find the page you want, you can't scout enough players for the draft. players are rated for a scheme and teams cannot change schemes. you can't edit players positions. It just takes too long to go from week to week. i like some of the ideas and control of choosing how players advance, but it needs to really be streamlined. i've been playing madden since floppy disks were actually floppy. this might be my last.

# 137 btemp @ 08/30/12 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMosier_LM
EA did not say they did nothing to line play. They actually said they tweaked and tuned line play this year because an overhaul was not possible right now. Most people agree that the line play is better... Still needs overhauled but it is better than last year.
"Tweaking" line play is the equivalent of doing nothing. Line play has been "tweaked" every year now since what, Madden 05? I don't count "tweaking" as doing something. And short of this review, every opinion I've read of OL/DL play has been negative (ie. same old problems).

# 138 SamoanSteelerFromAus @ 08/30/12 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjallure24
I've seen the phrase "headed in the right direction" about this game all through this board, and maybe people are optimistic, but I'm sorry, I can't give this title and EA another year off. It's going on 7 years and this franchise has gotten by on it's name alone not it's reputation of a great game. While other sports titles such as The Show, NBA 2K, and FIFA, and even the WWE titles on THQ have flourished, but Madden is still trying to find itself on this gens consoles. Every year we are introduced to new modes and features while previous modes we thought would be built upon have fallen by the waist side.

The people who like this game, more power to them and I'm happy you are enjoying it. For individuals such as myself who demand a better product for the given price tag, I would promote not settling. Because that's how I would have felt if I would have given in and purchased this game. I've been around these boards long enough to know that constant bashing of any title does not result in progression of said title or discussions pertaining that title. I'll speak louder with my wallet, then any words I can ever type on OS.
Very well said bro. Im with ya.

# 139 CalmLikeABomb @ 08/30/12 10:51 PM
After reading about Madden 13 on release day, I was really ready to cancel my preorder. I was going to a midnight release, but did not and waited for the next day. It is so confusing to really know if the game is going to be worth a purchase, when so many people are wanting so many different things from it. Me? I just wanted to play a fun game of football. I am not bashing anyone who doesn't like the game. Everyone has a right to their opinion.

I just wanted to give my opinion after playing for a few days. Madden 13 just feels more like football. It flows if that makes sense? I mean don't get me wrong a few things need to be tweaked, but for me it is the best football game of this generation.

I just played BAL vs NE an hour ago, and I had so much fun. I won the game 16-14 on a last second Field Goal. It really felt like I was watching these two teams play. Brady under pressure drives down the field to give the Pats a go ahead touchdown leaving me with 50 seconds left. I throw once to TE and run as fast as I can to sideline, leaving me with one timeout. One more throw over middle and am stopped at one yard line. Timeout and FG for the win. I have had so many close games like this, and it creates the drama we love in sports. At least for me. I say without hesitation this game deserves a 9, IMO.

# 140 CalmLikeABomb @ 08/30/12 10:55 PM
I forgot to add, I went into gamestop to cancel my preorder and they had madden13 hooked up for 360. I played one of the managers, and won with a last second goal line stand. I turned to him, and said "this game is pretty damn good, it is fun". That is how I even purchased it. I am loving it. I hope those who have it have fun playing, after all isn't that what a game should be?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.