Home
OS Scores Explained NBA 2K13 Overview (Xbox 360)
Pros
Plethora of new animations; A more intuitive control scheme; Immersive game modes.
Cons
No major upgrade for The Association Online; A few random glitches like missing scoreboards; Wrong home-court locations during the playoffs.
Bottom Line
Best and most accurately replicated sports game to date.
out of 10
NBA 2K13 REVIEW

NBA 2K13 Review (Xbox 360)

Delivering year after year on expected greatness is no easy feat, but even harder is daring to gain new ground without losing the blueprint that originally paved a successful path. This year’s iteration of NBA2K certainly looks to dazzle, but also features one of the biggest gameplay changes arguably since the franchise’s inception.

With a two-pronged attacked aimed to both satisfy basketball gaming enthusiasts and also increase pure entertainment value, 2K Sports seeks not only to produce another great hoops title, but to also engrain the franchise deeper in today’s pop culture.

Does NBA2K13 accomplish this full on takeover?

Presentation

Production value is a high note for 2K Sports yearly hoops franchise as NBA2K13 boasts some of the best presentation elements ever seen in a sports game. The game’s introduction features executive producer Jay-Z in a sizzle trailer to behold. Showing off Steve Novak’s “discount triple check” move and Ricky Rubio’s passing flair to the tune of Jay-Z’s “P.S.A” is sure to get you pumped and ready to ball each time you turn on the game.

NBA2K13 literally feels like a star-studded event, as you’ll even spot a few celebrities courtside during games like Justin Bieber, Bow Wow and the aforementioned minority Brooklyn Nets owner, Mr. Shawn Carter.

On the court, textures are cleaner and more colorful than previous years, and player faces are improved upon minus a few surprising mishaps like LeBron James, which is odd since they pegged him just right in NBA2K12. The commentary trio stays the same (Kevin Harlan, Clark Kellog and Steve Kerr), but their talking points are new and relevant to today’s NBA world.

Don’t be surprised to actually learn something new from the game’s commentary like I did hearing the guys discuss Phoenix Suns forward Michael Beasley mentor sessions with former Lakers guard Norm Nixon during the offseason. All these factors plus an enourmous amount of new animations we’ll get to later takes NBA2K13’s presentation to that point where it looks and feel like a real game, and also pushes to entertain like a primetime cable TV broadcast.

Gameplay

Since its inception in 1999, the NBA2K franchise has been renowned mostly for its authentic and deep gameplay. So it’s little surprise that NBA2K13 features the richest version of gameplay to date. With an all-new control scheme, the game comes with more intuitive moves and freedom to gamers.

The main change to the new control scheme is having formerly known isomotion dribble moves mapped to the right stick or “control stick”, taking the place of the “shotstick” in past versions of 2K hoops games. The change makes for a more natural combination of dribbles moves, but there are a few downsides. In addition to a steep learning curve for new and old gamers alike, there are some dribble combinations that are doable, but don’t quite mesh well together visually. A few dribble animations just stop in mid-motion looking like what would be called a travel or palming violation in real life.

It’s a minor hiccup in a game that’s laced with mostly spectacular animations. Equipped with what’s known as the dynamic shot generator, there aren’t a ton of shots in NBA2K13 that look exactly alike. Be prepared to see something new every time you take a shot with a defender in close proximity.

Not only is it refreshing to experience different shot types as an offensive player, this gameplay addition also pays dividends on defense as well. Too many times in past NBA2K games, you’d play great defense on a player only to see him rise up and bury his signature jump shot in rhythm like you’re not even there. Well in NBA2K13, sticking to your man defensively and putting a hand up at the right moment will cause the offensive player to actually react to the suffocating defense being played and be forced into a hanging fade-away or a double-pump heave just to get the shot off. This reduces the shot’s chances of going in and will make the offense go to something more efficient next time down court.

No-time-left-on-the-clock shots are now also properly implemented so you no longer have to worry about losing a game with 1.5 seconds remaining simply because your star player’s jump shot animation takes about 2 seconds to launch.

Even though the advancements on the offensive side of the ball far outrun the defense, playing D in NBA2K13 is rewarding when done correctly. It is by no means easy, but user on-ball defenders are given the necessary tools with the trigger buttons to be disruptive either by crowding the ball handler or cutting off driving lanes. Steals and pass deflections are rightfully toned down this year as defenders could repeatedly go for pass interceptions without repercussion in NBA2K12. In 2K13, attempting a lunge to the side, or jumping high to take away the post-entry pass incredibly undermines your defensive position so perform those moves wisely.

Blocks are more emphatic this year with new spiking animations. In the past, most blocked shots seemed to just appear because the defender’s hand happened to be in front of the ball. In NBA2K13, blocking animations actually have the defender jump and reaching to spike the incoming layup like Anthony Davis did to every shot in the nation while at Kentucky last year.

All of these fine gameplay additions are tied together by even more animations that make the gaming experience that much more realistic. From Carmelo Anthony’s “ball inspection” to LeBron and D-Wade’s sparring sessions just before tip off, there are a ton of pregame rituals in NBA2K13 that demand your attention every time they’re on screen.

Player activity in between plays are also new and fairly engaging to witness. It was quite impressive seeing Paul George make hand gestures in an attempt to figure out his coach’s instructions from the Pacers’ bench, while teammate Danny Granger was shooting a free throw. This sort of attention to detail makes NBA2K13 one of the most accurately replicated sports games ever.

Game modes & Lasting appeal

Although there isn’t a lot that’s new on paper and, to the dismay of many, My Crew doesn’t make a return, NBA2K13 holds the deepest variety of game modes for the series to date. The Association returns with some new customizable features, most notably “total sim control” which allows users to dictate their team’s playing style in a simmed contests. Users can set their team’s first, second and third options on offense, playing tempo and a defensive gameplan under this new system.

Next is the MyCareer mode which immerses your MyPlayer deeper into the NBA experience. General manager visits that play out in pretty slow and badly acted cut scenes is one of the new off-the-court activites added to your MyPlayer. Others include social integration with your teammates (taking them out for dinner), your fans (participating in charity events) and even interaction with social twitter-like personas from players around the league. The more success you get in MyCareer, the more popular you become among fans, followers and teammates.

These additions are all handled by the new virtual coins system that’s integrated throughout the whole game. In essence, you rack up points or “coins” the more you play. So playing games in another mode or even online rewards coins that users can spend on MyPLAYER attributes, new animations or even upgrade the wardrobe with a nice suit for a team dinner or a charity event. 2K Sports also allows users to buy attributes boosts with real money in the XBOX marketplace or Playstation store.

On the court, MyPlayer is pretty much the same over the last few years. When your number is called, you get in the game and try to improve your teammate grade by taking good shots, setting good picks, filling the right passing lanes and much more. 2K Sports ventures into the trading cards business with the all new MyTEAM game mode.

The overall premise of this mode, much like EA Sports’ games “Ultimate Team” is building the best possible custom team through purchasing players, coaches, playbooks and more accessories. Each MyTEAM season gives you 12 games in the “Road to the Playoffs”, win at least three of these 12 games and you’ll become a No. 8 seed.

One unique aspect to this mode is having to pay your players’ salaries. So for a player like Chris Paul, you’ll have to pay a decent amount of virtual coins to get him on your team and also break bank to keep him on your roster. Player values are based on real-life performances by their real life counterparts, hence making for a flexible player market that encourages smart strategizing when building your MyTEAM.

With this new addition, NBA2K13 builds on an already familiar custom team mode and gives more reason not only to keep playing, but also keep up with real NBA hoops so you know the right time purchase a player – sort of like the waiver wire in fantasy sports. With game modes this deep in content, variety, and mostly all tied together with the virtual coin system, NBA2K13 is a title that is sure to keep gamers on the hardwood all season.

Usually this sports franchise’s Achilles heel, playing online in NBA2K13 isn’t as problematic as years past. It’s certainly not perfect, but the online servers have held up well in my brief playing time so far, although your mileage can obviously vary depending on connection type, location and time of day.

As far as content is concerned, online features are standard from last year’s game with the new additions being MyPLAYER Blacktop and the ability to compete with both the “Dream Teams” as well as classic teams like the Allen Iverson’s 2001 Sixers or Jerry West and the ’72 Lakers. Unfortunately, you can only play with those teams in a regular head-to-head matchup as a tournament setup still doesn’t exist online.

The online version of The Association doesn’t receive much of an upgrade apart from commissioner options that were big omissions last year. However, one of the most egregious features still sadly exists in this mode – the ability for ANY league member to veto a trade. Being able to anonymously veto a trade is a huge downer for online deals. Such power should be reserved for league admins or a select few.

Overall, despite mostly the same experience, the stable servers at least show the NBA2K series is headed in the right direction (finally) online.

Final Thoughts

It’s hard to keep improving on a game that has been consistently very good to great in recent years, but with stunning presentation, way more attention to gameplay detail, and the promotional backing of entertainment mogul Jay-Z, NBA2K13 not only retains the sports gaming title, but also increases its presence in today’s pop culture. It’s still a few steps behind the popularity of “Madden” here state-side and “FIFA” internationally, but with such a realistic experience coupled with high production value, this 2K Sports franchise could very well be on it’s way to that level of fame.

Learning Curve
The all-new dribble control stick takes some getting used to for 2K gamers, but its intuitive system makes it an enjoyable learning experience. Computer AI on higher levels are not to be taken likely.

Visuals
Despite a few ghastly looking faces, the overall look is fresher and players’ skin don’t look as “greyed” out as previous versions. Very impressive presentation elements like the Nike+ replays and great player interaction during and after plays. Recommend heading over to the animations menu and watching the large variety of new animations one by one. Yes, they are that good.

Audio
Soundtrack is great … for those who are hip-hop fans. Players can be heard in games trying to exaggerate contact to get a favorable call or calling out defensive assignments. In-game commentary is fully equipped to engage, entertain, and educate gamers while playing. Clearly the best commentary sports games have to offer.

Value
Although there aren’t a ton of new modes, the select few are implemented adequately and the layers of depth added to returning modes makes for a deeper gaming experience. Despite only a few online additions, servers are much improved over past years.

Score: 9.5 (All-Time Classic)

NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 DBMcGee3 @ 10/10/12 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRINGS03
Wait what? Isn't labeling someone a labeler kind of, ironic?

Relax, i merely stated that their is some bias for nba 2k. How is that a big deal, or bad? And i never said anything about EA. I think you're overreacting. Seriously, it's not that big of a deal man.
There should be somewhat of a bias for 2k though right? 3 great games in a row while the competition can't even make something decent enough to put on the market. I used to love Live but I'd say at this point I'm biased towards 2k because they've earned it.

# 62 23 @ 10/10/12 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRINGS03
Wait what? Isn't labeling someone a labeler kind of, ironic?

Relax, i merely stated that their is some bias for nba 2k. How is that a big deal, or bad? And i never said anything about EA. I think you're overreacting. Seriously, it's not that big of a deal man.
No its YOU coming here generalizing an entire site of people off of one person's review... that's what I just told you I have issue with.

Regardless, you calling them bias or any other name doesn't make them wrong. Regardless if people agree with the score or not, this game seems to find ways to not re-invent the wheel, but set standards in sports games in some fashion.

# 63 SPRINGS03 @ 10/10/12 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
No its YOU coming here generalizing an entire site of people off of one person's review... that's what I just told you I have issue with.

Regardless, you calling them bias or any other name doesn't make them wrong. Regardless if people agree with the score or not, this game seems to find ways to not re-invent the wheel, but set standards in sports games in some fashion.
I didn't generalize an entire site, i just said that it's known for favoring nba 2k games. That doesn't mean that everyone just kisses 2ks butts. That's not generalization. I don't see what you have an issue with.

Calling someone bias isn't name calling, it's stating an opinion. Also you disagreeing with me or labeling me a labeler doesn't make me wrong either. It's just my opinion, based off what i've observed. And it's not necessarily a bad thing either. It's not even a matter of being right or wrong, it's a difference of opinions, that's it. I don't understand what you're getting so worked up about. Seriously. . .

# 64 mj23lbj @ 10/10/12 05:57 PM
I think this game is an 8.5, its amazing and im addicted to it but some things hold it back. Some nice additions were the control stick feels really nice, the myplayer blacktop mode as flawed as it is, still a plus. The bad was that they ruined the fun of my player because you can buy your way to the top with a 20$ card. In my player blacktop, you cant challenge dunks, only one player is checked the ball, and theres only one court. Graphics are nice as always but the crowd still looks like ps1 characters, they ruined durants face and lebrons headband angle. Some team colours are off like the heat away the black is grey. Im always impressed by 2k but i dont think im going to be wowed until i see it on ps4 or xbox 720.

# 65 inkcil @ 10/10/12 06:04 PM
The game is so good that it actually makes me want to go out and buy MLB 2k12.

I think a 9 is about right.

# 66 sandman0823 @ 10/10/12 07:45 PM
The best bball game ever created hands down. Not yet perfect but sure enough almost there.

# 67 IgotGAME @ 10/10/12 07:52 PM
Having currency in the game should immediately knock the game to a 9 right off the bat.

I would give the game probably an 8 overall.

Sent from my Androidified HP Touchpad

# 68 VUUAASSHHH! @ 10/10/12 08:01 PM
Metacritcs:

87 - metascore
73 - user score

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/nba-2k13

# 69 Sublime12089 @ 10/10/12 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgotGAME
Having currency in the game should immediately knock the game to a 9 right off the bat.

I would give the game probably an 8 overall.

Sent from my Androidified HP Touchpad
Currency when implemented well is a good thing imo

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

# 70 roadman @ 10/10/12 10:41 PM
I really enjoy the game, but not 9.5 enjoy the game.

The CPU offensive rebounding issues(yes, I box out), which in turn increases PIP to an already higher level, plus the CPU defensive rebound running the break and not setting up a play issue is what is making me feel this game isn't 9.5 worthy.

The game does have some great upsides, but those two issues above I can't overcome.

# 71 jwtucker710 @ 10/11/12 08:26 AM
Very impressed with the game, but no game is perfect. Can't wait for the rosters and any game improvements on patch coming.

# 72 Mister Magnus @ 10/11/12 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiffani
Coming from someone who played NBA 2K12 a total of 10 times max, due to the neglectful nature of factoring in positioning on all fronts (my main problem with 2K12), NBA 2k13 is a far cry in that respect and it really is an excellent game that deserves the praise that it's largely getting.

The number one thing that I feel like they absolutely nailed this year -- and they always try to make this a point of emphasis, but they really fleshed it out this time around --is player differentiation. In the past, the ratings & tendencies, in combination with the numerous amounts of signature animations, were enough to visually see the difference amongst players, but throw into the mix signature skills, and you have players that feel completely different-- even those with similar attributes playing the same position. I've only been the Bulls and the Clippers, and Chris Paul and Derrick Rose (two elite PG's) feel completely different as far as when I'm controlling them. CP3 has a certain tempo to his game that I simply can not replicate when I'm controlling Rose and vice versa. When I'm controlling Rose, it's almost as if he's a highlight waiting to happen because of his athleticism. They're both 'explosive' guards, but at the same time, they are almost polar opposites from one another (just like in real life).... Just like the old adage of saying "there's more than one way to skin a cat" and I thoroughly enjoy using both of them equally because of it. It's seriously hard to play other sports games now because the lack of player individuality absolutely pales in comparisons to what NBA 2K13 has done with their 4 headed monster (ratings, tendencies, signature animations, and now signature skills).

NBA 2K13 (along with The Show although to a lesser extent) is the only sports game that I can play the appropriate, real life allotted time, and not feel like it's a choir to get through. In fact, when I'm playing offline, that's all I play is 12 minute quarters and I couldn't imagine playing any other way. Just think about some other sports video games out there and imagine trying to play the exact same minutes of the sport that they are attempting to simulate... Not only would it become monotonous after awhile out of sheer out of boredom, but the numbers would be way out of wack. All of my numbers when I'm playing 12 minute quarters in 2K13 are respectable and are not so 'far-fetched.'

This game, just like the review alluded to a bit, is also incredibly deep. My friend picked up the game on release, I went to his house and he hasn't even played the game yet. You know why? Because of the shoe creator (he was creating shoes when I went over there). He's absolutely locked in on that feature despite me telling him that there's a good game to be played.

The All-Star Weekend, much to my surprise, is extremely well done and the commentary just like the regular games is incredibly seamless and well done. I was playing the dunk contest, and the CPU did the exact same dunk as I did and three man crew clowned him because of it....

Of course there's negatives, which I'm sure I'll get into on here as time goes on, but I'm seriously amazed at this point from the improvement that they made in a year span with this title, especially as far as the gameplay is concerned. Fantastic game.
@Epiffani

Dude, you're so right about playing with 12 minute quarters. So spot on. And it's been that way for at least the past few years for me, too. In no other sports game would I ever play a true full-length game and in 2k I almost never want to play anything else. Maybe 8 or 9 minutes against a bud, but always 12 minutes against the CPU. And games never feel too long. Mark of a great simulation game.

# 73 Bobhead @ 10/11/12 12:43 PM
I'm sorry but how does a game receive a score above 7, when it has 2 entire game modes that are completely unplayable due to freezes (Association and MyCareer), disappearing score overlays, and quite a few other glitches?

I think 5/10 is far more appropriate until 2k finishes the job and fixes all the instabilities.

# 74 archangelkatana @ 10/12/12 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezy24
I keep playing this game and while it's good it's not much more than good. I'm trying to in my head make this the best basketball game ever but it still has room for improvement in my opinion. I'm usually the one to give a game praises right off the bat and then change my mind but after playing this game in Exhibition mode and MyPlayer and MyPlayer mode is ok but not enough for me to want to gain more VC points to build my terrible player. One thing I noticed in this RPG MyPlayer mode is that this player you create gets drafted and he appears in the post game news conferences which in itself is a big joke. Who is this terrible player answering questions after games and is a no body?? Star players get interviewed and asked questions not rookies who are guys that are pee ons. Either way.....good game but doesn't floor me.
well if you look at the nfl and nba, first round picks are often interviewed after games. Look at robert griffin with the redskins, mike trout with the angels, and blake griffin, this year I am sure antonio davis will see tons of post game interviews. I agree if your myplayer is drafted in the second round, then it would be silly. but part of the interviews is to increase your fan base, and your team cameraderie based on your answers. My player was not the number 1 pick, but I was drafted in the lottery, I thiink number 12 by the suns. When I became a starter I requested a trade and got moved to my clippers. Now I really enjoy the games with mycareer. You can also use your created player on the blacktop mode.

# 75 archangelkatana @ 10/12/12 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampede_94
More like NBA2JAY. They need to tone down the amount of Jay Z videos etc. in this game. It steals the spotlight away from the NBA and not in a good way.
I agree too much jayz stuff, but at least the game has other music vids too. For nas the world is mine, in pregame while everyone is black and white the players will be bouncing a green and blue orb of the earth instead of a basketball..I thought that was a nice touch, I have also seen pregame vids with u2 elevation, and a song from coldplay...I am not a big jayz fan in general...but I have to say the pregame presentations are actually watchable this year, last year I stopped watching them after the first week. The pregames are pretty sweet for mycareer mode when your created player is a starter he starts showing up in the pregame movies and you can even give him animations like lebron's chalkdust, or kg punching the stanchion, or backflips, or kneel downs like tim tebow...Plus your name flashes across the screen in pregame sometimes...again this happens more once you are in your team's starting lineup...

I also love that steve kerr, and the other commentators talk about your game interviews from the past game. So if your an egomaniac they talk about it, they also talk about if your answers are team-oriented. They even make remarks about your signature skills. Its integrated nicely.

# 76 DBMcGee3 @ 10/12/12 10:40 AM
Tried to play as the Showtime Lakers this morning and learned that Kareem isn't on the game. Damn.....

# 77 sticks323 @ 10/12/12 03:55 PM
This game is not a 9.5, not even close. Put the game on Hall of Fame and play it, just once. Defense is still not fixed, you don't have the freedom to move, they make you strafe when you need to run. The game is 8.0 at best. Stop hyping the game up because the animations look pretty cool. Its not the worst game in the world, I think My Career needs a lot of work, you get blamed for things you have no control over. The CPU is still way to good on Hall of Fame level. The plays take way to long to run, ppl are just bouncing off each other. The game is not a 9.5, stop lying

# 78 KungPaow @ 10/13/12 06:54 AM
Got it yesterday, daaaamn, I AM ADDICTED!

# 79 runNgun27 @ 10/13/12 02:28 PM
Game is *** cant block in the paint rarely to many made layups nba 2k12 best game ever jay-z focused more on music then game. shot stick nworst idea get at the bad in order to get good yall fix stuff that dont need to be fixed waste of 65 dollars SMH

# 80 runNgun27 @ 10/13/12 02:28 PM
Game is *** cant block in the paint rarely to many made layups nba 2k12 best game ever jay-z focused more on music then game. shot stick nworst idea get at the bad in order to get good yall fix stuff that dont need to be fixed waste of 65 dollars SMH

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.