Home
OS Scores Explained Dynasty League Baseball Online Overview
Pros
Deep statistical gameplay, Accessible and customizable, Very fun and intense games.
Cons
Price can be a limitation, Games can take a while, Very basic graphics.
Bottom Line
If you like baseball and want to try something different, challenging, and accessible, I can’t recommend Dynasty League enough.
out of 10
Dynasty League Baseball Online REVIEW

Dynasty League Baseball Online Review

Learning to drive doesn’t require any real knowledge of how a car works. That said, many people take real pleasure in learning the intricacies of the combustion engine anyways. From there, they can tinker and tweak, with the end result being greater (or at least more personalized) performance.

The same can be said about Dynasty League Baseball Online. You can jump in with only a basic understanding of how the game works, and still find success. But with a little bit of study, you’ll unearth the complexities of the game; in doing so, you’ll set yourself up for a great--and very deep--game of baseball.

Gameplay

I’ve written a lot about this gameplay in the past few years (http://www.operationsports.com/games...ball-online/); the game remains largely the same. Dynasty League Baseball Online is a baseball simulation, driven by dice rolls and player cards. These player cards are very intricately tied to real stats; play long enough, and your stats should mirror what actually happens on the field.

The beauty of this system is that it doesn’t necessarily require you to fully understand how it all works. The essential stats--things like batting average, throwing rating, stamina--are clearly visible. In fact, the game allows you to limit the information you receive to just the results, or play-by-play.

On defense, you can set your defense, intentionally walk, or pitch, based on the current match-up. When batting, you can call for bunts, steals, hit and run, etc. You can do all of this based on just those visible basic ratings.

But again, if you dig into the actual player cards, you can grasp a greater sense of what can and might happen. If you call for a hit and run, do you limit your batter’s potential power? Should you even try to steal, based on catcher’s throw rating and pitcher’s hold rating? Looking into the numbers, you can get a real and accurate percentage of what the results might be. By carefully reading the rules and cards, the level of care applied to the ratings is becomes fully apparent.

Speaking of results, the game factors in nearly everything that can happen over the course of the game. Injuries, ejections, weather effects, individual umpires, stadiums, and team chemistry all have a role in the outcome of the game. In one of my recent games, a thunderstorm delayed the start of the game; this resulted in a double-header and reduced player stamina. I witnessed a player beat out an infield hit based on his hustle and team chemisty.

Presentation

Dynasty League Baseball Online is a browser-based game, which is really a double-edged sword. On one hand, you can play it on nearly any computer, simply by using a standard web browser. It loads easily and quickly, and the interface is clean and simple.

On the other hand, don’t expect flashy visuals. Animations are reduced to sliding player icons; die rolls are static photographs of actual die rolls.

Much like other text sims, though, graphics are perhaps the least important part of the game. That’s not to say that this is an ugly game. In fact, there are relatively high-quality day and night photographs or artist representations of each stadium depicted. Play in Milwaukee in the 80s, and you’ll see play on a great retro photograph of County Stadium. Additionally, the textual play-by-play is well-authored and sufficiently varied.

Modes

Dynasty League Baseball is best when played against other users, in either a league or tournament. While you can stick to a particular season (including 2012), I’ve had the most fun competing in “Greatest Team” leagues and tournaments. These are limited to 83 of the greatest teams ever, and create a great sense of “best of all time” each time you play. However, there are options for “keeper” style leagues, drafted leagues, varied playoff structures, and one-off games or series. The options are, frankly, a little overwhelming if you are new. You can also play against a computer manager if you’d like to hone your skills before facing a live opponent.

Human players offer the best experience, and thankfully, the game makes scheduling (or rescheduling) a match-up very easy. If you can’t make a game, proposing a new time/date is simple using game’s internal messaging system. Beyond that, you can “program” a manager to handle your team for you in your absence.

I will say that playing a series can take a while; I’d estimate a three game series can take roughly two hours. They are an enjoyable two hours, but committing to that long play time can be tough for some. Of course, you don’t have to play all the games--but you’ll probably want to.

One of the neatest things about playing in a league is comparing the real stats to the simulated stats. By keeping track of a wide variety of statistics, the game creates a unique world with interesting (but statistically probable) storylines and outcomes.

Final Thoughts

The only hurdles I can see in fully recommending this game are the graphics (not a big deal), time to play games (maybe a bigger deal for some), and the price (perhaps the biggest deal).

This game does operate at a monthly price point of $14.95 (it’s cheaper if you lock in for six months). For those who play other online multiplayer games, this is a reasonable price considering all of the modes and teams you have access to. For those used to paying a flat $60 for a game, I’d recommend trying the six month plan. I’d wager you’ll get your $60 worth (or, at least try the two day free trial).

Dynasty League Baseball Online occupies an interesting place in baseball gaming. It’s a text sim with roots in a dice and card game. It can be played solo, but is much better with others. It produces ultra-realistic stats and scenarios in a fantastic, all-time great setting. It’s very accessible, but also tremendously deep. It is also sort of like a multi-player fantasy game, without the dependence on current results.

If you like baseball and want to try something different, challenging, and accessible, I can’t recommend Dynasty League enough.

Score: 8.5 (Great)

Learning Curve: Again, as deep as you want it to be. The more time you spend learning the intricacies of the game, the more you’ll feel rewarded.

Visuals: A very basic but usable interface. Background era-specific stadium pictures are nice.

Simulational Realism: The players are carefully rated in numerous ways; technically the longer you play the more your created stats should match the actual/historical stats.

Lasting Appeal: So many ways to play, tons of teams, and plenty of historical seasons. The biggest limitations are time and price.

Member Comments
# 1 bkrich83 @ 04/12/13 06:20 PM
Wake me when they finally keep their promise of single user season replays. Until then they won't get any more money from me.

# 2 choadler @ 04/12/13 07:38 PM
I agree. For $15 a month, they should have all their seasons available to play solo. Give me the option to roll my own dice too like Strat-o-matic does. I guess it is too late now as I took the dive into Strat and I absolutely love it.

# 3 MikeCieslinski @ 04/12/13 08:35 PM
Single season replays are in the plans after the new live draft room and multi-player public draft leagues launch. Currently all seasons are available to play solitaire or with a friend in "Series".

As Caley mentioned, what makes DYNASTY League Baseball Online really unique is the multi-player league experience so that has to be the primary development focus. This is the first full year for Private Draft Leagues and there has been an explosion of new draft leagues forming. Think Fantasy Baseball with a simulation game. One of the main benefits for leagues is that you don't have to import and export files to a league Commissioner to update stats, standings and leaders - it is all updated in real time. I end up captivated watching other players games in my league being updated in real time - especially during the Pennant race.

# 4 PVarck31 @ 04/12/13 08:42 PM
OMG, Old Municipal Stadium. Might have to get this.

# 5 bkrich83 @ 04/12/13 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCieslinski
Single season replays are in the plans after the new live draft room and multi-player public draft leagues launch. Currently all seasons are available to play solitaire or with a friend in "Series".

As Caley mentioned, what makes DYNASTY League Baseball Online really unique is the multi-player league experience so that has to be the primary development focus. This is the first full year for Private Draft Leagues and there has been an explosion of new draft leagues forming. Think Fantasy Baseball with a simulation game. One of the main benefits for leagues is that you don't have to import and export files to a league Commissioner to update stats, standings and leaders - it is all updated in real time. I end up captivated watching other players games in my league being updated in real time - especially during the Pennant race.
Which is great Mike and the game conversion is great, love it. However being in an online league just isn't going to work for me due to my travel schedule, etc. Solo replays (Strat, DMB, PC Replay, ActionPC) or Management Sims (OOTP, PureSim, Baseball Mogul) are really what grab my attention and keep it. I can play at my own pace, when I have time, with my own rules, etc.

I heard that Solo replays were in the works from you guys at least a year ago. I realize you have other priorities, but I am one of the guys that was buying PTP and Dynasty League the board and CPU versions from the very beginning. Really feeling left out in this new venture.

It is what it is, but I just can't justify the subscription for what I get.

# 6 bkrich83 @ 04/12/13 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by choadler
I agree. For $15 a month, they should have all their seasons available to play solo. Give me the option to roll my own dice too like Strat-o-matic does. I guess it is too late now as I took the dive into Strat and I absolutely love it.
Have you played PC Replay? Absolutely love the game and there's some great mods out there for it (Stadia, Player pics, logos, etc. )

# 7 MikeCieslinski @ 04/12/13 10:33 PM
The solitaire "Series" have been in the Online version well before multi-player draft leagues and right at launch Brian so the solitaire component has been there - just not full season replays yet.

The game scheduler was built expressly to provide flexibilty for people to be involved in leagues who travel schedules and have busy schedules. That was a big point of emphasis. Anyone regardless of how busy they are can be involved in a multi-player league. The MLB blog describes how it works:
http://dynastyleaguebaseball.mlblogs.com/2011/02/22/greatest-teams-leagues-debut-with-new-scheduler/

# 8 bkrich83 @ 04/12/13 11:03 PM
Quote:
The solitaire "Series" have been in the Online version well before multi-player draft leagues and right at launch Brian so the solitaire component has been there - just not full season replays yet.

The game scheduler was built expressly to provide flexibilty for people to be involved in leagues who travel schedules and have busy schedules. That was a big point of emphasis. Anyone regardless of how busy they are can be involved in a multi-player league. The MLB blog describes how it works:
http://dynastyleaguebaseball.mlblogs...new-scheduler/
The solitaire series could even meet my needs. However I can't set the opponent starting pitcher ahead of time so every series I basically face the #1, #2 , #3 pitchers. I can't make adustments to do my own replay.

My understanding is the standard CPU game is no longer supported either so for me, there's really no way to do my normal single player replay using any of your products besides the board game.

As far as the scheduler for online leagues. Not sure how that helps when I may have time to play 1 or 2 games in a 2 or 3 week period, etc. It's just not feasible for me. I just don't think you guys seem to grasp that, nor do online leagues appeal to me.

At the end of the day, I don't think you get my disappointment or point of view. I'll simply choose another product until the time comes that you can meet my expectations/gaming needs.

# 9 MikeCieslinski @ 04/12/13 11:33 PM
Series are set up to compete vs. the computer manager in a World Series or LCS not a string of series in a season replay. Once solitaire season replays the the pitching rotations will be set up for a season.

If you only have time for let's say one game a week you still could play that game live or vs. the opponent's computer manager. Then you could have the other games managed by your computer manager profile. If you have tried a DYNASTY League Baseball Online league and didn't like it that is one thing, but the experience is unlike any other Online league sim because of the real time aspect - it makes it very easy to be in an Online league.

I get your disappointment in wanting solitaire season replays, but the primary vision of the Online game was to do something revolutionary in terms of making real time multi-player draft leagues a reality.

Every other Baseball sim is obsolete in terms of Online multi-player leagues because they were designed as solitaire games and require you to export and import files from every league member just to see updated stats, standings and leaders. DYNASTY League Baseball Online's server based environment totally eliminated the hassle of importing and exporting stats to a central commissioner - everything is done for you. As a Commissioner of my league is makes it just so so easy and for our league members as well.

We know there are DYNASTY fans out there who only want to play solitaire season replays and like you said you can still do that with the board version. Solitaire season replays for DYNASTY League Baseball Online will come, but there won't be anything groundbreaking about it other than being able to enjoy the depth and realism of DYNASTY League Baseball.

# 10 bkrich83 @ 04/12/13 11:39 PM
Quote:
Series are set up to compete vs. the computer manager in a World Series or LCS not a string of series in a season replay. Once solitaire season replays the the pitching rotations will be set up for a season.

If you only have time for let's say one game a week you still could play that game live or vs. the opponent's computer manager. Then you could have the other games managed by your computer manager profile. If you have tried a DYNASTY League Baseball Online league and didn't like it that is one thing, but the experience is unlike any other Online league sim because of the real time aspect - it makes it very easy to be in an Online league.

I get your disappointment in wanting solitaire season replays, but the primary vision of the Online game was to do something revolutionary in terms of making real time multi-player draft leagues a reality.

Every other Baseball sim is obsolete in terms of Online multi-player leagues because they were designed as solitaire games and require you to export and import files from every league member just to see updated stats, standings and leaders. DYNASTY League Baseball Online's server based environment totally eliminated the hassle of importing and exporting stats to a central commissioner - everything is done for you. As a Commissioner of my league is makes it just so so easy and for our league members as well.

We know there are DYNASTY fans out there who only want to play solitaire season replays and like you said you can still do that with the board version. Solitaire season replays for DYNASTY League Baseball Online will come, but there won't be anything groundbreaking about it other than being able to enjoy the depth and realism of DYNASTY League Baseball.
I get that Mike. Truly I do. Which is exactly why I said it just doesn't meet my needs right now.

I guess my frustration is two fold. 1. You went this online direction (which I understand) but you left players like me out, of what it truly an outstanding replication of the original game. And 2. in doing so, you basically stopped supporting the PC version of the game. So in essence outside of the board game, there's no way for me to play.

The game itself and being able to play in a browser no matter where it is, with access to all the seasons is ground breaking enough for someone like me. Online leagues don't interest me at all.

I know you said last year solitaire replays were coming, but there doesn't seem to have been much movement on that front and it's never mentioned when you post updates about the game, so I just wanted to voice my opinion in hopes you'd realize there are a lot of us out here who are in my shoes.

Luckily there are now several outstanding games to play that meet my needs.

# 11 MikeCieslinski @ 04/13/13 12:17 AM
What you said about several outstanding games for solitaire season replays is exactly why we didn't want the primary focus of new product development going down a path that has already been done before.

As far as the old Windows PC version it was really forced obsolescence. As a 16 bit application there was no way it would run on the new Windows 7 and 8 OS. The entire DYNASTY League Baseball game was rebuilt in a new state of the art Online development cross platform environment with a brand new interface for Window and Apple Mac. If we just wanted to develop another solitaire season replay game like all the others that are out there we would have developed it as a stand alone game and not as a server based Online game.

Having said all that, I was adamant in our development meetings that we also have a solitaire play format with our entire season library included so that is why that format appeared right from the start as "Series".

As far as movement towards solitaire season replay format there has been quite a bit of movement from the aspect of getting multi-player private draft leagues launched last spring. As we complete the new live draft room and public draft leagues that clears the deck to get to solitaire season replays.

Great to hear how much you appreciate the depth and realism of DYNASTY League Baseball Brian!

# 12 bkrich83 @ 04/13/13 12:21 AM
Quote:
What you said about several outstanding games for solitaire season replays is exactly why we didn't want the primary focus of new product development going down a path that has already been done before.

As far as the old Windows PC version it was really forced obsolescence. As a 16 bit application there was no way it would run on the new Windows 7 and 8 OS. The entire DYNASTY League Baseball game was rebuilt in a new state of the art Online development cross platform environment with a brand new interface for Window and Apple Mac. If we just wanted to develop another solitaire season replay game like all the others that are out there we would have developed it as a stand alone game and not as a server based Online game.

Having said all that, I was adamant in our development meetings that we also have a solitaire play format with our entire season library included so that is why that format appeared right from the start as "Series".

As far as movement towards solitaire season replay format there has been quite a bit of movement from the aspect of getting multi-player private draft leagues launched last spring. As we complete the new live draft room and public draft leagues that clears the deck to get to solitaire season replays.

Great to hear how much you appreciate the depth and realism of DYNASTY League Baseball Brian!
Thanks for the heads up Mike. Maybe when it starts to take shape maybe you can post some updates when it comes to single user replay? Heck it you would allow me to set the CPU lineup and starting pitcher, I'd be good to go at this point.

I do enjoy the game. Truly my favorite game for replays due to the depth. Like I said, I've been playing the different iterations of it since the beginning of the PTP days, both board and CPU. I think that's where my frustration lies. It's simply no longer an option and as a long time customer that stings a little bit. If you know what I mean.

# 13 choadler @ 04/14/13 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Have you played PC Replay? Absolutely love the game and there's some great mods out there for it (Stadia, Player pics, logos, etc. )
My first choice was dynasty, but no single player. My 2nd choice was pc replay, but lack of seasons kept me from going that route. Strat was third and though it is pricey and the interface is outdated. It is awesome.

Dynasty goes single player with the game system and all of the seasons then I am in.

# 14 bkrich83 @ 04/14/13 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by choadler
My first choice was dynasty, but no single player. My 2nd choice was pc replay, but lack of seasons kept me from going that route. Strat was third and though it is pricey and the interface is outdated. It is awesome.

Dynasty goes single player with the game system and all of the seasons then I am in.
Yeah that's the downside to Replay lack of seasons. It's a great game, and the pace is great.

I agree, soon as Dynasty gives me single user replay and access to all their seasons, I am in.

# 15 budsticky @ 04/17/13 11:57 AM
Count me as another that's been waiting since the online version went live for the ability to do single season solo replays. I understand it's not the focus, but it's what I want for my needs...so until it happens I won't be on board. Love the game though...lots of memories of Pursue the Pennant with the great box that doubled as a stadium with backdrops for all the parks.

# 16 Knight165 @ 04/18/13 11:19 PM
That makes three of us.
Years ago....I didn't mind having to work around certain aspects of games in order to make a single player season work.
(I'm drawing a blank right now on the PC game that was basically a single game experience...I would make the matchups and keep the standings!)
I just can't justify that now with other options available.(I realize that it's not as limited as mentioned above)
Strat is awesome...but this would have been my first choice.
Hoping for an update eventually.

M.K.
Knight165

# 17 Torncuff @ 02/16/14 02:02 PM
Well, this is certainly the best baseball simulation out there.

You get detailed batting, detailed fielding, detailed pitching, detailed weather, detailed park....realism across the board.

You get a pretty an extraordinary online community, where you can play unique draft leagues, greatest teams leagues, and multiple daily greatest team tournaments (that take between 1 and 2 hours) each day to complete. There is a robust facebook community that supports this game and contributes to suggestions, and an ownership group that actually responds in the same day to concerns and suggestions.

I understand the season solo replay issues....and I believe the ownership group is working on this. As a guys who graduated through Atari Baseball, Intellivision Baseball!, Intellivision "Computer" Baseball!. "Computer League Baseball (forgot the name, the first fairly robust CP disk game)", Earl Weaver Baseball, Tony LaRussa Baseball, Diamond Mind, OOTP....to this...to me the online interaction trumps with other real live players, and the ability through using the highly customizable COMPUTER MANAGER when I can't "LIVE" head-2-head against other team owners makes this a much better experience.

I've probably played a couple thousand computer seasons solo, and while they were enjoyable, nothing compares to being able to play and compete against someone who makes better decisions than anything ever created as an Artificial Intelligence. There's people on the site I honestly don't like....and they probably don't like me. Honestly I think that's a good thing. There's a real emotional investment into the action. The quick action tournaments, and the competition therein, along with the season long and greatest team tournaments, makes this an experience I think is certainly worth the investment.

I for one was one of the guys that liked to replay every day of a season. With every single season I played, it was too easy to beat the computer. Random number generator be damned, it was too easy. Maybe some positive reinforcement is good, on some level. But it's not very gratifying.

You won't find that here. Hopefully you'll probably enjoy that more. If you can't play every series in a league...set up the computer manager. It's much more robust than Diamond Mind. When you can play against a live opponent, more than likely you'll find a much more robust and thrilling challenge than just "beating the weak AI".

There isn't pretty graphics..there isn't animation...but there is an unequaled amount of interaction. And something that actually looks, feels, and plays like real baseball would play. If you join and play the Greatest Team Tournaments Daily, don't get a team with very good left-handers. My favorite teams have a little bit of weakness against them.

APaul
Torn_cuff

# 18 bkrich83 @ 02/22/14 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torncuff
Well, this is certainly the best baseball simulation out there.

You get detailed batting, detailed fielding, detailed pitching, detailed weather, detailed park....realism across the board.

You get a pretty an extraordinary online community, where you can play unique draft leagues, greatest teams leagues, and multiple daily greatest team tournaments (that take between 1 and 2 hours) each day to complete. There is a robust facebook community that supports this game and contributes to suggestions, and an ownership group that actually responds in the same day to concerns and suggestions.

I understand the season solo replay issues....and I believe the ownership group is working on this. As a guys who graduated through Atari Baseball, Intellivision Baseball!, Intellivision "Computer" Baseball!. "Computer League Baseball (forgot the name, the first fairly robust CP disk game)", Earl Weaver Baseball, Tony LaRussa Baseball, Diamond Mind, OOTP....to this...to me the online interaction trumps with other real live players, and the ability through using the highly customizable COMPUTER MANAGER when I can't "LIVE" head-2-head against other team owners makes this a much better experience.

I've probably played a couple thousand computer seasons solo, and while they were enjoyable, nothing compares to being able to play and compete against someone who makes better decisions than anything ever created as an Artificial Intelligence. There's people on the site I honestly don't like....and they probably don't like me. Honestly I think that's a good thing. There's a real emotional investment into the action. The quick action tournaments, and the competition therein, along with the season long and greatest team tournaments, makes this an experience I think is certainly worth the investment.

I for one was one of the guys that liked to replay every day of a season. With every single season I played, it was too easy to beat the computer. Random number generator be damned, it was too easy. Maybe some positive reinforcement is good, on some level. But it's not very gratifying.

You won't find that here. Hopefully you'll probably enjoy that more. If you can't play every series in a league...set up the computer manager. It's much more robust than Diamond Mind. When you can play against a live opponent, more than likely you'll find a much more robust and thrilling challenge than just "beating the weak AI".

There isn't pretty graphics..there isn't animation...but there is an unequaled amount of interaction. And something that actually looks, feels, and plays like real baseball would play. If you join and play the Greatest Team Tournaments Daily, don't get a team with very good left-handers. My favorite teams have a little bit of weakness against them.

APaul
Torn_cuff
Gonna have to disagree. Still for me, until they get solo replay, it's a non starter. Simple as that. I don't have the time nor the flexibility of schedule to play in leagues. It's Solo Replay of bust for me.

Until that time, OOTP and PC Replay Baseball will continue to get my baseball dollars.

# 19 MikeCieslinski @ 03/25/14 08:54 PM
Most of what needs to be in place is now completed for solitaire season replays with options for a friend (s) to join too. Basically it will work the way the current Commissioner tools are set up for Private draft leagues except you will be able to assign a computer manager to a team instead of a friend.

The first multi-player real time season replay league just launched with 30 people playing each team from the 2013 season.

# 20 bkrich83 @ 03/27/14 12:45 AM
Quote:
Most of what needs to be in place is now completed for solitaire season replays with options for a friend (s) to join too. Basically it will work the way the current Commissioner tools are set up for Private draft leagues except you will be able to assign a computer manager to a team instead of a friend.

The first multi-player real time season replay league just launched with 30 people playing each team from the 2013 season.

As soon as it's in, I'll be the first to subscribe.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.