Home
OS Scores Explained Madden NFL 25 Overview (PS4)
Pros
Much improved running game, better secondary play, and strong line interaction.
Cons
Still has awkward movements, strange animations, and issues in the graphics dept.
Bottom Line
The improvements are tangible all over the field, but not enough were made to qualify Madden 25(PS4) as an all-time classic just yet.
out of 10
Madden NFL 25 REVIEW

Madden NFL 25 Review (PS4)

Since the days of NFL licensed electric football, people have been trying to replicate the pro game in their living rooms for ages. Back then people had to use their imagination quite a bit, but thankfully for today’s generation we can plop down on the couch and fire up our favorite video game consoles to do just that. With the release of Sony’s Playstation 4 on Friday, and Microsoft’s Xbox One release just around the corner, EA Sports has released their latest iteration of its NFL franchise, Madden 25.

For the last few months fans of the series have been treated to a bevy of trailers put out by EA, but minimal true gameplay videos. The gameplay videos that were released were subject to much scrutiny and fans had trouble determining if they were current gen, next gen , or simply bad video compression. Basically the next generation pre-release for Madden 25 was somewhat clouded in secrecy.

Now that early adopters have their systems, and Madden 25 is readily available for all to play, that is exactly what we have done, and find ourselves somewhat surprised and pleased with what it brings to the table. We would also like to mention that we tested the PS4 version of Madden 25 on All-Madden and All-Pro default to keep the our findings consistent for the reader. 

Gameplay

The running game was considered to be a slight improvement in Madden 25 on the current generation of consoles, but that was all about to change according to EA, as they implemented their new locomotion technology on the PS4 and Xbox One versions. EA claimed that the new True Step technology that was implemented would give the user a new feeling of weight and momentum, with 4x the precision than before, and to quite honest you can feel the new technology almost instantly the first time you hit the field running with the ball. The user must take the time to read the blocking scheme, be patient, and hit the hole or edge at the precise time in order to have any chance at a consistently good running attack. However, one needs to realize that the ratings of the runner and their offensive line, and their opponents defensive line will have a true impact of this finally. There is still some fine tuning that needs to be done with the overall running game, but the improvements are a large step in the right direction

As much as we like the running game improvements, we love the new offensive and defensive line interaction even more. For the first time in the Madden series, users can actually see a true pocket forming for their quarterback, and feel realistic pressure being applied from the edges. The battle down the line truly benefits from the extra calculations’ that the new systems provide, and it’s impressive to see stronger defensive linemen being double teamed, and quicker defensive ends beating the tackle around the edge. Each individual lineman, both offensive and defensive, now have their own individual thought process and act accordingly depending on the situation. We did notice some oddities during our time with Madden25 in regards to this facet of the game, but overall were very pleased with this first year effort. 

If you played Madden 25 on the 360 or PS3, than you have a full understanding of the tragedy that was the secondary play. Often times corners or safeties would simply run away from the play, or not even recognize that it was even happening. While we are not ready to anoint Madden 25 on the PS4 as the king of secondary play, we are ready to admit that there have been some good improvements in this area. man coverage has been tightened up and zone coverage is better. This area still needs some improvement, but it does play better than the past gen version, and that is without any slider manipulation at all. One area that is worth pointing out is the deep ball, and the fun we had watching the defender and the wide receiver battle for ball. It’s nice to see the defender put a hand in during the reception and try and knock the ball away from the receiver. 

With much to like about the improvements to this version of Madden 25, there are obviously some gameplay issues that still need to be corrected in Madden 15 and beyond. Quarterback accuracy was an issue on the PS3 and360, and it seems to still be an issue on the PS4 version. We understand that even average quarterbacks can have a career day on any given Sunday(or Monday and Thursday)but it happens way to often too often in this version. Way too often do we see Jason Campbell and Ryan Tannehill(no disrespect to Fins or Raider fans)look like Peyton Manning and Drew Brees. Yes this can be somewhat corrected with slider adjustments, but the ability to differentiate between elite quarterbacks and average quarterbacks should be a staple on default. 

Finally for gameplay we need to address special teams, because apparently no one at EA Tiburon wants to. With saying that, we need to at least mention that kickoff and punt returns have been tweaked enough to where returns are the exception, and not the norm. Unfortunately that is where the tweaking has stopped, and everything else has gone untouched. Fans of the series have harped on this aspect far too long, for nothing to be done. It is high time that a new kicking mechanic be implemented that actually requires some skill to kick long and accurate, and has the ability for a punt that doesn’t spring into the back of the end zone with a smoke trail coming off of it.

Connected Franchise

We wanted to touch upon the connected franchise mode just a bit as it remains relatively the same as on previous versions, with one huge exception. The ability to transfer draft classes from NCAA 14 into Madden 25 from the PS3 did not find its way onto the PS4 version, and users are forced to use the created draft classes that EA has provided. While some may find no issue with that, others may find that to be a huge problem. Other than that, you will still have the ability to fire up a franchise, pick your favorite team and play through multiple seasons, sign free agents, rebuild your stadium in its current city or relocate your team and build a new one. 

Our time was limited somewhat with Madden 25 online, but we are happy to report that the two games we did play online were very enjoyable, and lag free. It was easy to connect, and literally played as if we were sitting on the couch next to each other. One aspect that fans will truly be happy about is the fact that the accelerated clock actually worked perfectly online, and that will make Online Connected Franchise fans very happy.
All the modes that were available from Madden 25 on the PS3 and 360 have carried over, and have done so in the exact same fashion. So whether it’s play now, ranked match, Ultimate Team, or of course online connected franchises, it’s all there. Fans of Ultimate Team will be extremely pleased to know that if you are upgrading from the PS3 to PS4 version of Madden 25, you can transfer and continue your progress from the previous system. 

Presentation

We have already mentioned the sizzle trailers that were put out before the launch of Madden 25 on the PS4, and by now most know that the game falls short of reaching that level in the graphical department. The saddest part of this whole scenario is the fact that there is such a disconnect between the marketers at EA and the community that they rely on, that they felt the need to hide what the game truly looked like. While the game may not have reached the level seen on a certain basketball title just released, it does look very good at times, and I feel the community would have embraced it for what it is – a good looking game with room for improvement. Having said that, there are some issues with missing textures and lighting, player models are hit and miss, and the sidelines and crowd are only slight improvements, but overall the game has a nice look to it. Hopefully this is an area that gets the attention it deserves next year, but for now the overall look of the game is acceptable. 

Commentary is another area that was said to have been worked on, and you can hear it on certain occasions, especially if you are in franchise mode, but this is another area that really needs some work put forth in future titles. At times Phil Simms and Jim Nance sound good, but too often they sound disconnected and actually diminish the gameplay, not enhance it like they are supposed to. 

Final Thoughts

For the first time in years, the changes that have been made to the Madden franchise feel legitimate and not tacked on, or just tweaked. You can feel the differences the developers made under the hood per say, and they seem to have the laid the groundwork for an extremely solid game in 2014. That’s not to say that Madden 25 should be cast aside so quickly though. There is a solid, but imperfect game of football for those who are willing to give Madden 25 a chance on their new system of choice. 

It is true that the good folks over at EA seem to over promise and under deliver often, but in our honest but humble opinion, it feels like they are finally making real changes to game in the areas that actually matter. Of course there is still a ways to go, but for the first time in a long time, we feel good about the direction that the franchise is headed. The proverbial ball is in EA Tiburon’s court, and if they can follow this year’s version up with an even stronger effort, the Madden community and the development team might actually be on the same page for the first time in almost a decade. 

Learning Curve – Madden 25 feels very familiar if you have played the series before, but the running mechanics will take a bit to master.

Control Scheme – basically the same as Madden 25 on the previous consoles. 

Visuals – Not as nice as promised, but still not bad. 

Audio – Commentary is a bit stale, but the crowd and on field action is decent.

Score: 8.0 (Great)

Scoring Note: An 8.0, or great, on our scale indicates a game is not without its flaws but it manages to move the genre/sport it represents meaningfully forwards. With Madden NFL 25, there are numerous on-field improvements plus the same features we got in current gen to upgrade the score from the current-gen game. By all accounts, this is the best playing football game ever with the better physics, line play, and bells and whistles added in.

Madden NFL 25 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 cmehustle @ 11/21/13 12:20 PM
Finally. Sounds like a step in the right direction. I didnt buy it for my 360, hoping that for the xbox one it would be worth a purchase. So purchase it I did along with 2k (of course) and battlefield. Now all I need is my xbox one.

# 2 lynkraid @ 11/21/13 12:20 PM
For me when playing with the normal camera it looks more like Madden 13 then it does next gen, at least from a player standpoint, crowd and sidelines look much improved though, but players from a far still have that donut like glaze over them. When the camera is zoomed in the detail comes to life.

Sidelines still need a lot of work to look real.

Gameplay for me just felt like a slight improvement, with only the flaws of current gen Madden improved, like the kickoff returns, and money screen plays, but those should be fixed on current gen Madden and still haven't.

Still a good Madden game, maybe the best one yet and its great that it retains all of its features, but still doesn't feel like a true next gen game, NBA2k14 feels more what a ideal next gen game should be. Don;'t know what others think, but I still have more fun playing Madden on PS3, as the running game still feels much better, and tackles still look better.

# 3 roadman @ 11/21/13 12:43 PM
Good review, hit's on the good, bad and the ugly.

This seems to coincide with the comments in the impressions thread.

# 4 CleatsMaster @ 11/21/13 01:02 PM
An 8? Woaaaaa there, Ke-mo sah-bee! Woaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

# 5 Birdman18 @ 11/21/13 01:59 PM
FYI, Jason Campbell plays for the Browns, not the Raiders

# 6 tmac747 @ 11/21/13 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynkraid
For me when playing with the normal camera it looks more like Madden 13 then it does next gen, at least from a player standpoint, crowd and sidelines look much improved though, but players from a far still have that donut like glaze over them. When the camera is zoomed in the detail comes to life.

Sidelines still need a lot of work to look real.

Gameplay for me just felt like a slight improvement, with only the flaws of current gen Madden improved, like the kickoff returns, and money screen plays, but those should be fixed on current gen Madden and still haven't.

Still a good Madden game, maybe the best one yet and its great that it retains all of its features, but still doesn't feel like a true next gen game, NBA2k14 feels more what a ideal next gen game should be. Don;'t know what others think, but I still have more fun playing Madden on PS3, as the running game still feels much better, and tackles still look better.
Have not played NG, but the community by in large seem to favor it. But, I have notice some subtle changes with CG of late...maybe EA has done some tweaking. With my sliders and penalty settings ( play on very slow) I have notice some good game play of late.

# 7 Moegames @ 11/21/13 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtkiii
You're overall comment totally contradicts the score you gave it. 8? 8 to me is a good game. You're review reads like a 7 or 6.5
Nah it sounds like an 8 from the reading of the review. It is not anything above 8 but 8 sounds just about right in my opinion and most opinions going on these days. Have you played the game? It is indeed a good game...not great but good and good is between 7.5 and 8... but i do not like getting into the nickle and dime BS of reviews. Play the game and see for yourself..like most of us that actually own next gen madden..it is definitely a nice improvement over current gen and quite a fun game to play.

# 8 brza37 @ 11/21/13 03:08 PM
I like the review. Very informative but I agree with some others that the score seems too high for what you wrote, especially according to the new scale. It sounds like it should have been a 6.5 to 7 (Above Average to Good) not Great.

# 9 Lovesports @ 11/21/13 03:50 PM
I'm not a fan of the game simply because I don't see too much improvent from current gen...especially graphically. Madden will eventually lose to another company, question is when. Player models are awful...no one runs with their knees going up so high.

# 10 Bryzine21 @ 11/21/13 04:16 PM
Madden 25 next-gen deserves an 8. I did not like current-gen Madden much at all. Big improvement to me. Would give Madden 25 on 360 a 6.5.

# 11 elliasjwilliams @ 11/21/13 06:27 PM
I think the easiest way to improve the kicking game is to take it back to old school but with a twist. I've been wanting to put this in a wishlist thread for years but to no avail.

Simply take the kicking meter back to the days of a simple A or X button press to get it started and stopped. The main difference is depending on the reating of your kicker/punter there is a cap on how much power you can put in to the kick, and the sweet spot for accuracy becomes smaller depending on the accuracy rating.

Don't have a kicker with a strong leg? Kicking that 52 yarder doesn't sound good right about now so you may b forced to put or go for it rather than aiming the kick meter all the way down and getting within decent range of full power and the kick is money.

The analogs have too many instances where you flick down and up on cue but it doesn't translate to the game and you end up kicking a pooch or something.

Delegating to the A/X button basically kills this occurence

I also believe they need to relegate heat seeker to holding the X button and diving from behind to a tap of the x button. While putting impact tackles back on the analog stick via an up/down flick. Forget holding the right stick down for 2 seconds..thats easier to manage and control with the X button that the sticks.

# 12 kehlis @ 11/21/13 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman18
FYI, Jason Campbell plays for the Browns, not the Raiders
Not in the default rosters.....

# 13 Mholtz2j @ 11/21/13 07:12 PM
Too high of a score. I would give it a 6.0. Maybe a 6.5.
This is supposed to be the Next Generation of videogames. The graphics are bad and the animation is even worse. Ok, so maybe for the first game they just focus on the graphics, but they didn't even do that.
Ok, maybe we focus just on the animation, they didnt do that either. They ported over the current gen game and you scored it an 8? Wow.

# 14 roadman @ 11/21/13 07:18 PM
Game play is king, in my eyes.

Reviews are all over the place and very subjective.

It's an 8, or 7.75 or 7.5 or 6.5 or 6, yada, yada, yada.

It's what you make of it, this is just something to go by.

What I like about it is that they spent a good part of a week with it vs someone who's played a half or who hasn't even played the game and states it's a 6 or 6.5, it's just a port or whatever the flavor of the moment is.

# 15 Smoke6 @ 11/21/13 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mholtz2j
This is supposed to be the Next Generation of videogames. The graphics are bad and the animation is even worse. Ok, so maybe for the first game they just focus on the graphics, but they didn't even do that.
Ok, maybe we focus just on the animation, they didnt do that either. They ported over the current gen game and you scored it an 8? Wow.
Sounds like someone didnt bother to play the game but instead judged it off a video or 2 ..

Game deserves the praise it gets as the game feels and plays differently that that on PS360 and thats a fact. So if you're gonna troll a thread atleast have played the darn game first. We cant get nowhere with the devs with this type of mentality and attitude towards what progress they have made so far.

# 16 kehlis @ 11/21/13 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnate128x
Don't need to CHIEF.
To comment on a review that way? Yes you do.

You can't give a score or constructively discuss a given score without playing it yourself.

# 17 cubby blue @ 11/21/13 08:58 PM
They brought up one of my major gripes about this game. The defenders never try to knock the ball out on the deep pass. They will just mimic what the receiver does. I hope they will fix this in the future, but I'm not holding my breathe.

I bought the game, but haven't received my ps4 yet. I played the demo of 25 on the xbox 360. I'm really glad to hear the cleaned up a lot of the issues with the secondary. Hopefully, the running game will not be too easy either.

# 18 Iceman87GT @ 11/21/13 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mholtz2j
Its not a port, they did change things under the hood and they are using the Ignite Engine (like Live, and FIFA, NHL will also be using it for the next gen version).

You seem to think that graphics were the most important thing about the move to next-gen, everyone on this site will disagree with you. Gameplay is what matters most, graphics should evolve with time but if the game doesn't play well then graphics are meaningless.

The game plays better and it looks better, you may not be happy with the leap in graphics but the gameplay improvements are more than enough to warrant the uptick in the overall rating.

This Port nonsense needs to stop, it's not a port plain and simple, if you want to argue that it is too close to the current gen in looks and/or gameplay, fine (I disagree, and I think the majority would say that it is an improvement with the only debate being how much of an improvement it is), but that does not mean the game is a port.

# 19 kehlis @ 11/21/13 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman87GT
This Port nonsense needs to stop, it's not a port plain and simple, if you want to argue that it is too close to the current gen in looks and/or gameplay, fine (I disagree, and I think the majority would say that it is an improvement with the only debate being how much of an improvement it is), but that does not mean the game is a port.
It is a port though. They have admitted this.

I agree with your other points but it is a port.

# 20 truesimgamer @ 11/21/13 09:55 PM
Great review! I wish I could open my copy but I just can't bring myself to do it. I'm really struggling with this, even mentally.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.