Home
OS Scores Explained Front Office Football Seven Overview (PC)
Pros
Deep Text Sim; Accurate statistics and ratings; Fills a gaming need.
Cons
Dated interface and graphics; Steep Learning curve; Menus could be organized better.
Bottom Line
One of the few, and quite likely the best, professional football text sims on the market.
out of 10
Front Office Football Seven REVIEW

Front Office Football Seven Review (PC)

For all the hype Madden and the NFL gets each year, it's surprising that there are very few pro football text sims available. Even those available don’t get much press.

I’m not sure why, either. Football is as ingrained in statistics as baseball, and there are multiple quality baseball text sims produced each year. American football is more popular here in the states than football (soccer), yet there are at least two annual soccer sims that regularly get top billing on Steam.

However, for whatever reason, finding a football text sim is difficult. Perhaps the most “mainstream” was the NFL Head Coach series, produced for consoles by EA. But there’s been another option quietly gaining a following among football fans for over a decade: Front Office Football. The seventh iteration of of FOF was just released by the small company Solecismic Software; will Front Office Football 7 fill the pro football text sim niche?

Gameplay

As a text sim, you are put in charge of the daily operation of a professional football team, handling GM and coaching duties such as setting ticket prices, managing depth charts, and calling plays. Nearly every duty shared by either of those team roles is represented in some way through menus, text, and spreadsheets.

Front Office Football 7 attempts to simplify these responsibilities by breaking a year into phases: Staff management, Free Agency, Draft, Late Free Agency, Training Camp, Pre-Season, Season, and Playoffs. These phases are further subdivided, but basically you are guided through the season in a logical progression.

Finances and player ratings play an important part in the proceedings, perhaps more so than other text sims. There’s a nice emphasis on player knowledge (formations, etc) and personality. Even the end of season coaching carousel is represented through a “staff draft,” which, though not entirely realistic in form, adequately abstracts the myriad of coaching changes that take place each year.

In-game, the coaching options are staggering. You can call plays using a relatively streamlined screen, adjusting individual positions and assignments. For all of its complexity, however, it’s pretty easy to get a handle on how to manage an offense and/or defense. However, because of the amount of options, expect games in which you call ever play to take a significant amount of time.

While I’m not the world’s biggest football expert, I do follow the NFL pretty regularly; I could not find any significant aspect of the game that isn’t somehow represented in Front Office Football 7.

Presentation

Like many text sims, there is no graphical representation of players on the field; the action is handled through menus and simulation screens.

In-game, your competitions take place on a screen that looks like a scoreboard, complete with field markers and some basic stats. All “front office” stuff occurs in one of three main menus: Simulation, Roster, and Depth Chart/Game Plans. To be honest, these menus would benefit from some reorganization, as it will take you a while to figure out where exactly everything is located.

The Depth Chart/Game Plan menu alone is cluttered with almost 40 individual items, from formation usage to specific team depth charts (Nickel Formation, Offensive Line, etc.).

This speaks to the largest problem with Front Office Football: its graphical interface. I don’t think I’m exaggerating when I say that this game looks like something from the late 1990s. From clunky pixel-heavy icons to low-res background pictures, this game’s visual identity and user interface really belies it’s statistical accuracy and depth.

It’s hard to fault the small (one-man?) operation at Solecismic for skimping on visuals in a text sim; it’s not crucial that this game looks good. But at various points, the organization and lack of visual feedback cause some frustration for me. As one who has played the very spartan but extremely well-organized Out of the Park Baseball for years, it’s a disappointment that FOF is so lacking in presentation.

All of that said, there are a few nice touches that add personality to the game (though it’s easy to overlook them). First, is “Solevision” -- essentially the “NFL Redzone” channel distilled to a text interface. Watch play-by-play for any game during the week, switching between games if desired.

Also are a number of “publications,” like the “Grey Sheet” which analyzes top-free agents, or the “Green Page” which reports on top prospects. These are nice concise ways to view the most interesting players in the league without sorting through various team rosters.

Statistical Accuracy/Rosters

A few notes regarding players, teams, and stats. First, current NFL players are in the game with ratings accurate at the beginning of the season. Of the few players I studied in depth, none look to be wildly inaccurate in terms of their ratings, which are on a 0-100 point scale.

Secondly, all teams are in game, minus their correct nicknames. These are easily editable. However, there are no graphical logos (other than city names) to edit or modify.

Finally, in regards to statistical accuracy, everything I’ve simulated seems to be in good order. In fact, if you read the help file, you get some nice insight from the developer Jim Grindin on how the various simulation engines and rating systems were created, and what exactly he was trying to emulate.

Final Thoughts

Front Office Football Seven is a deep, accurate, intricate, complex, and realistic football text sim. It is also looks like it was made to run on Windows 95.

If the first sentence of that paragraph is all that you care about, this game is a definite purchase. The developer clearly puts his limited time and funds into the more meaningful portions of the game, and for that, what’s “under the hood” is stellar.

However, it’s the second sentence that may eliminate some of this game’s audience. Because the game looks so dated, the learning curve is steeper than it has to be.

Again, though, this game recreates enough of the intricacies and details of the game that climbing that steep learning curve is worth it. All told, Front Office Football capably fills the need for a true football text sim for the discerning fan.

Learning Curve: Relatively steep, even for a text sim. Made more difficult because of poor organization and user interface.

Online: While I wasn’t able to fully review this aspect of the game, it does have a fully featured suite of tools for commissioners and online leagues

Lasting Appeal: A very deep game with nearly unlimited replayability, especially if you devote the time to learn its inner workings. Would like to see a more customization options.

Value: At $40, it may seem a little expensive, especially based on looks alone. However, weighed against other text sims of its ilk, its content is of equivalent value.

Score: 8.0 (Great)

Scoring Note: If the game can get an interface to match its gameplay, this will be one of the premiere management sims on the market, as of right now it's kind of a novelty but a great one. If you have wanted more depth out of Madden's Franchise, this is worth a look in the dead period of sports gaming.

Member Comments
# 21 Epitaph77 @ 02/12/14 04:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by longranger
Any for Mac users
Likely never going to happen. This was addressed in the dev Q&A

"[19:50] SOLECISMIC: Q: Will the new version be available for MAC?
[19:50] SOLECISMIC: Steve Jobs was a great innovator, but he made it very difficult for college kids who loved programming to get into Apple programming. That's why it's so hard to find native MAC software. FOF is a Windows product for now. If you can get it working using Wine or another emulator, that's great."

# 22 nmain @ 02/17/14 09:19 PM
Wish they would release 2007 for free or something.

# 23 horrormaster @ 02/22/14 12:23 PM
downloaded the trial, but how do you get the team names, logos, helmets, etc.? everything on the FOF site is for 2007.

# 24 FBall Life @ 02/25/14 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by horrormaster
downloaded the trial, but how do you get the team names, logos, helmets, etc.? everything on the FOF site is for 2007.
Exactly the question I have lol

# 25 horrormaster @ 02/25/14 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBall Life
Exactly the question I have lol
I just downloaded one of the 2007 ones and overwrote the files, then renamed the teams manually. Everything worked just fine at that point.

One thing I have to say, it's hard to get used to the player ratings. I'm used to Madden games where everybody is in high 60's or 70's. Doing an inaugural draft gets you a team with a lot of players with what would be seen as "crap" ratings.

# 26 FBall Life @ 02/25/14 08:55 PM
Quote:
I just downloaded one of the 2007 ones and overwrote the files, then renamed the teams manually. Everything worked just fine at that point.

One thing I have to say, it's hard to get used to the player ratings. I'm used to Madden games where everybody is in high 60's or 70's. Doing an inaugural draft gets you a team with a lot of players with what would be seen as "crap" ratings.
Where are these files located to download?

And yeah, they definitely make use of the full 100-point scale.

# 27 horrormaster @ 02/26/14 03:38 PM
Quote:
Where are these files located to download?

And yeah, they definitely make use of the full 100-point scale.
http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=63429

I use the Glossy Logo set, but any of the 6 will work.

# 28 Ben E Lou @ 02/26/14 08:03 PM
Quote:
Very roughly speaking--and at times heavily dependent on specific skill sets, the ratings break down roughly like this:

95-100: Once In a Generation Player. Extremely rare to see guys this high.
90-94: Rare Superstar. Your league at times might have no players rated this highly.

I just opened three different single player leagues, and a total of four players (2, 2, and 0) were rated 90 or higher.

85-89: Likely Future HoF. Maybe 5-10 guys in the league will rate this highly.

80-84: Near-Perennial Pro Bowler. Typically no more than 10-15 of these around at a time.

70-79: Yearly Pro Bowl Candidate

60-69: Very Good Starter

55-59: Solid Starter

50-54: Average Starter
45-49: Decent Starter/Solid Backup

40-44: Decent Backup

35-39: Serviceable Backup

Under 35: Roster Filler

In a typical league, the best guys available to be signed "off the street" as free agents at each position are usually somewhere in the 30 to 40 range.

A good way to get a decent feel for the ratings is to search by position on "Current Rosters" and "Current Rating" during the regular season. It'll pull up the top 25 players at the position on which you search. So, for example, when I do that search on QBs in my league, the top guy is an 82 and the #25 guy is a 45. Number 16 is a 53, so that tells me that half the teams in the league will be starting a QB rated worse than 53, and that 53 is an "Average Starter" for that position right now.

# 29 FBall Life @ 02/26/14 09:50 PM
Question:

I'm in week 1 of free agency, which is reserved for resigning players. I thought that meant I could resign my players with 0 years left on their contract. However, the game won't let me resign or renegotiate their contracts. Are these players lost? Is this week 1 resigning period during free agency only for players with 1 year left on their contracts?

# 30 antdroid @ 02/28/14 01:31 AM
stage 1 is only for restricted free agents and restructuring deals with current contracted players.

# 31 FBall Life @ 02/28/14 11:20 AM
So my players with 0 years left are gone?

# 32 horrormaster @ 02/28/14 02:04 PM
Quote:
So my players with 0 years left are gone?
Going by what minotauri said, it means those players with 0 years left are unrestricted free agents and not part of Stage 1 (restricted only).

# 33 Brandwin @ 07/16/14 04:16 PM
So how does this compare to past versions now that it's been out a while? I know I saw on the forum that the game was going to get a facelift via a contest by fans. Not sure if that update ever came. I couldn't find anything on it.

Is this the best Football Textsim out?

# 34 Thofhmas @ 07/22/14 06:40 PM
This looks fun. Are there any College Football text based sims out there?

# 35 premierplayers @ 08/05/14 01:39 AM
Front office Football 7 game is very good. and a really deep and intricate game.. i really like it........

# 36 LingeringRegime @ 08/12/14 03:27 AM
Just been playing the trial version for the past hour or so. Really like it so far.

# 37 LingeringRegime @ 08/13/14 12:35 PM
I ended up buying it this morning. It is 34.99 now.

Any good mods out there?

Never mind found the link on the second page.

# 38 LingeringRegime @ 08/13/14 06:40 PM
Man this game is amazing. I just played first regular season game. It was a defensive slugfest. It was tied 9 - 9 and the Seahawks were punting to me (Panthers). And we got a roughing the kicker penalty which gave them a first down. They consequently got into FG range and kicked a 55 yard field goal to win it.

Graphically this game has nothing but the real decisions and simulation factor is through the roof. Well worth the 35 I spent in it.

# 39 Ben E Lou @ 10/14/14 08:07 AM
There's a Greenlight campaign to get FOF7 on Steam and a new Fall 2014 free update to the game forthcoming. Head over to this thread at FOFC for details: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=89383

and to vote FOF7 up on Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=237225561

# 40 Ben E Lou @ 11/21/14 11:50 AM
A free update to Front Office Football 7 was released this morning, adding 2014 rosters and coaches and tweaking/fixing a few outstanding issues. Details can be found by following the link in this thread: http://www.younglifenorthdekalb.com/...ead.php?t=6574

(For some reason I can't post links correctly to FOFC here.)

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.