Home
OS Scores Explained Pro Strategy Football 2013 Overview (iPhone)
Pros
Excellent depth, every simulation management option you could imagine, realistic stat production.
Cons
Menus are too complex for their own good, options not laid out in the best way, interface a bit bland.
Bottom Line
A game that, with some improvements, will be one of iOS's best sports game...just it is not there yet.
out of 10
Pro Strategy Football 2013 REVIEW

Pro Strategy Football 2013 Review (iPhone)

Reviewing iOS games is always a hard task, because while some games try to offer complete and deep experiences, that is often not what people using the platform are really demanding.

Games which are simple to navigate and easy to play are what make the best games on the smaller screen. The more a game tries to fit into that few inches of screen real estate, it’s almost certain the more clunky it is going to end up feeling.

Pro Strategy Football 2013, weighing in at $5 on the app store, borders on that line, with more options to manage a football team in-game than you can shake a stick at. In many ways, PSF 2013 is perhaps one of the deeper attempts at simulating a sport on mobile devices, it’s just that the interface can’t handle all of the options you are inevitably given.

You are greeted on the home screen with four different apparent options, you have a scrimmage game, season play, saved games, and multiplayer to choose from. However, the core of the game revolves around managing a pro football team more on the field than off of it.

You have several different options while managing your games, you can adjust lineups and call different plays based upon how you want to attack your opponent. You can select different plays on offense based upon where you want to attack. It really does sound great in theory, but everything is buried within a few layers deep of menus to get your entire offense fully called in. Getting the right play called can sometimes take a good bit of time to ensure you have everything set up the way you want. I constantly found myself wanting to hit an easy button to make everything simpler for me within this part of the game.

Defensively, PSF 2013 deserves some major kudos for releasing with what I’d like to think are some of the most realistic defensive play call options available — as you do call plays for each level of your defense while also assigning coverage types and blitzers. Defensive play calling is much simpler than on offense — but there are still several menus you have to run through to make sure you call everything right.

Really, the menus for play calling are my main gripe with this game. Everything else is there on-field to make this a great tactical simulator of football. The stats the game generates, as well as the visual gameplay are good enough to make you want to keep playing, but there are oftentimes options hidden in menus several layers deep, which means you can sometimes lose important options when you need them most -- such as the no-huddle option. The game never tries to be bold and suggest courses of action you should take as the coach, which would probably make it much more accessible and quite a bit more fun.

The animations and such on the field are fine and remind you somewhat of Tecmo Bowl and if you are crunched for time you can just push the skip button to skip through the on-field action. Personally, I really would like an option to speed up the on-field gameplay and not just slow it down, as I found the pace of the action on field was a hair slow.

The scenario editor included in the options is quite fun to play with, as you can set up just about any scenario you can dream of within the game and try to play it out on the field. Anything from trying to come from behind late in the game to trying to protect a sensitive lead with the clock winding to trying to stage a monumental comeback in the second half down big are all possible.

The season mode allows you to play or sim any game within a 16-game NFL like schedule. However, there are no team management options within the season mode and it is limited to just playing out a 16-game schedule and then the playoffs -- so anyone looking for a management sim off-the-field will have to look elsewhere.

The playcall menus can be a bit cumbersome to put it mildly.

Final Thoughts

The options are certainly immense with this game, you can do just about everything pre-snap strategically within the game of football if you take time to learn the extensive interface. However, the iOS platform doesn't lend itself well to this type of approach, as most poeple are after a plug-and-play type of experience.

There is a really good game of football in here somewhere that could come out with later updates, and anyone who doesn’t mind a more complex iOS experience should give this a shot. However, the $5 price tag along with the menus which are too complex and sometimes confusing, make this game something you should skip if you like simple and clean experiences on your mobile device.

Score: 6.5 (Above Average)

Scoring Note: This game really almost meanders into 7.0 (good) range, but the interface really does need a lot of cleaning up. There are situations where things are laid out well, but those options are hidden within options. A bit of focus on simplicity in the future would make this game a worthy title for your $5.

Member Comments
# 21 RGmoney @ 10/04/14 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStrategyFootball
Hey, I don't know where to ask this, but I was hoping to post something under "Other Football Games" but I can't create a post. Nor can I check private messages. I guess my account isn't open on the forums? I was thinking it would be nice to have a new 2014 thread. When I go to the Forums page, it indicates that I'm logged in.
From the TOS(rules) of the site: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...s-service.html

Quote:
New User Posting
All new users have a 'probationary period' in which they will not be able to create new threads or send private messages to other users. You must reply to threads until this period is finished. The period is a set number of days AND a set number of posts. These numbers are not disclosed, as we do not want people posting just to get past their probationary period.

# 22 ProStrategyFootball @ 10/04/14 07:44 PM
ah, thanks! Gotcha.

# 23 bkrich83 @ 10/04/14 07:53 PM
Quote:
ah, thanks! Gotcha.
Since you are a developer you should contact Steve and/or Millennium.

# 24 killershrew @ 10/07/14 09:27 AM
This game should have a mod-friendly PC-version!

# 25 GlennN @ 10/07/14 12:08 PM
Quote:
Thanks, Aggies7. My emphasis will still be coaching, not GM duties. In Career mode, there will be players aging out, new ones coming in, etc, but most of the emphasis is going to be on matters like preseason training, preparing your team for the upcoming opponent, etc. Given the complexity, I also expect my first Career mode to be single-player. If it takes off, then I'll look into creating a server-based multi-player Career mode in the future. Baby steps, though!

I am also going to provide a more basic play calling interface and let users choose between the basic and advanced levels when coaching a game, since the current advanced level can be a bit overwhelming for people who haven't worked up to it.
Understandable, but disappointing. I love iOOTP on my iPhone and would love a football GM app too!

# 26 sadams33 @ 10/07/14 09:45 PM
when do you think its coming out

# 27 ProStrategyFootball @ 10/08/14 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadams33
when do you think its coming out
I'm hoping any day now! I submitted it a week ago. I'm sure ready for this to be out!

# 28 tarek @ 10/09/14 04:40 AM
Quote:
I'm hoping any day now! I submitted it a week ago. I'm sure ready for this to be out!
Me too. Been checking the App Store every day.

# 29 ProStrategyFootball @ 10/13/14 10:46 PM
I know Apple is swamped with the new iOS and phones, and while I'm waiting on the approval (and working on career mode), I put together this quick video on Casual and Hard Core play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcSIkd1l4CA

# 30 sadams33 @ 10/15/14 09:20 PM
cool can't wait

# 31 ProStrategyFootball @ 10/21/14 11:56 PM
I've added a pretty long post on the forums here at http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/showthread.php?p=2969933, I hope that's ok?

# 32 sadams33 @ 10/22/14 07:11 AM
can't wait for this hopefully apple approves this soon

# 33 ProStrategyFootball @ 10/22/14 07:21 PM
Yes! Pro Strategy Football 2014 is now on the Apple Store!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pro-strategy-football-2014/id920694629?mt=8

# 34 sadams33 @ 10/22/14 09:02 PM
Quote:
Yes! Pro Strategy Football 2014 is now on the Apple Store!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pro-...920694629?mt=8
don't see it on my ipad in the app store

# 35 ProStrategyFootball @ 10/22/14 09:18 PM
Quote:
don't see it on my ipad in the app store
For some reason, PSF 2013 is taking priority, but I'm taking 2013 off tonight anyway. I've marked it as no longer for sale, but it takes a while to update.

Meanwhile, if you'll pull up PSF 2013, then on the screen should be a section "More by Pro Strategy Games" and it's there. I put up a link earlier, but that may be for the iPhone version, I'm not sure. It's a universal app, though, so that may work.

Let me know!

This is the link I have, and again, it's a universal link - you can tap on "iPad" to see the iPad screenshots.

Good luck!

# 36 sadams33 @ 10/22/14 09:28 PM
Quote:
For some reason, PSF 2013 is taking priority, but I'm taking 2013 off tonight anyway. I've marked it as no longer for sale, but it takes a while to update.

Meanwhile, if you'll pull up PSF 2013, then on the screen should be a section "More by Pro Strategy Games" and it's there. I put up a link earlier, but that may be for the iPhone version, I'm not sure. It's a universal app, though, so that may work.

Let me know!

This is the link I have, and again, it's a universal link - you can tap on "iPad" to see the iPad screenshots.

Good luck!
okay it came up on that link thanks

# 37 ProStrategyFootball @ 10/27/14 08:28 PM
Here's a video on the upcoming Career Play. In addition, I've now finished the "Player History" screen, where you can see a player's whole history, where they played each season, how they did, when they retired, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ9ekLMAnS4

# 38 sadams33 @ 10/28/14 07:46 PM
when do you think you'll be done with the career mode great game by the way

# 39 BadAssHskr @ 10/30/14 08:35 PM
Just purchased, havent played. Sounds extremely promising.

Will be following!

# 40 ProStrategyFootball @ 11/10/14 09:52 PM
Quote:
when do you think you'll be done with the career mode great game by the way
I'm hoping very much to submit the version with career play by the end of this month. I should know more after next weekend, and I'll let you know. Thanks!

Meanwhile, one update has already been released, and a second update should be approved soon, fixing a few bugs.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.