Home
OS Scores Explained 1st & Goal Overview (iOS)
Pros
Quick and interesting gameplay; Easy to learn; Good mode selection.
Cons
Clunky interface; Customization is limited; In-game help could be better.
Bottom Line
A really good mobile football game. It is simple, quick, and accurately recreates the sport.
out of 10
1st & Goal REVIEW

1st & Goal Review (iOS)

While Blood Bowl is based on a table-top game from the 80s, 1st & Goal is based on a much more recent card game. Using hand management, shrewd card play, and lucky dice rolls, 1st & Goal nicely recreates football in a captivatingly simple way.

Gameplay

How it works: The offense chooses a play, represented by a card. The defense chooses a card. Both are simultaneously revealed and cross checked to see what dice are rolled. The ball moves based on the outcome of those dice. That's it.

However, within those cards and dice are a nearly infinite number of outcomes. You'll see penalties, turnovers, and busted play -- all indicated by reading the shown faces of the dice. The breakaway is especially fun, as it lets the offense roll multiple times. The clock is also nicely represented by the deck itself.

iOS Version

Modes are limited, but enough for what the game is. You have exhibition, bracket (playoff), and season mode. You can create custom teams (essentially just picking a color and logo). There is pass and play multiplayer, but unfortunately no online.

The producers have also made this game's expansions available for in-app purchase. Each expansion offers new teams, with new card sets and dice combinations. If you are interested in this game, I'd suggest getting at least one expansion, as it opens up the team creation a bit more. With the expansion, you can sub out the standard dice for those geared toward a certain offense type, defensive, etc.

The interface is functional, but hardly slick. While a little rough looking, I had no problems navigating or finding where everything is. The rulebook is included, and is an easy read if you want to learn the specifics of the dice and card management.

Final Thoughts

1st & Goal is a really good mobile football game. It's simple, quick, and accurately recreates the sport, albeit in an abstract way. Buying just one expansion at $.99 makes things a little more interesting, but is hardly a necessity.

Score: 7.5 (Good)

Member Comments
# 1 BCDX97 @ 09/23/14 10:39 PM
I think it's pretty fun. I agree buying at least one expansion definitely helps. I wanted to try this and see what it was like because I had interest in the board game.

The one thing that frustrated me was how it reminded me of Tecmo Bowl. Picking a nickel or dime pass defense shouldn't always shut down a deep pass, but that's how it seems to work in this game. So you have to mix things up a bit to get first downs. Not very realistic but I get what they were going for. In the end, though, it's pretty fun.

# 2 JayBee74 @ 09/26/14 11:54 PM
I had the board game, and bought a few team expansion packs, but after a couple of games we tired of it.

I would spend .99 to see what they came up with for the mobile, but I have an Android.

# 3 Elway7 @ 09/27/14 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
I had the board game, and bought a few team expansion packs, but after a couple of games we tired of it.

I would spend .99 to see what they came up with for the mobile, but I have an Android.
It's been on android.

# 4 JayBee74 @ 09/27/14 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elway7
It's been on android.
I see that. I'm less than two months into this Android (LG3). I know there's no online, but can you play two player?

EDIT: Bought it. I see you can play against CPU or a human friend.

# 5 teleworm @ 09/26/18 04:27 AM
Nice one. keep share like this type of post.

# 6 teleworm @ 09/26/18 06:28 AM
Nice this is very informative for me

# 7 teleworm @ 09/27/18 12:48 AM
Actually, I download this game when I used the old Apple id and now I want to access the game id through this apple id then it shows me an error regarding this I talked to the expert team through apple id support number but I still have problem now I am going to create fresh apple id.

# 8 alicebuss21 @ 12/14/18 04:24 AM
Actually, I had a problem with this game I used iPhone 7 and this game continuously give me trouble. I talked to the iCloud Support team to get rid of this problem but i can't get proper solution.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.