Home
OS Scores Explained PES 2015 Overview (PS4)
Pros
Outstanding AI; Updated Player ID; Distinct Team Styles.
Cons
Stale Offline Modes; Lack of Stadiums; Scaled-down Edit Mode
Bottom Line
When it comes to action on the pitch, PES 2015 has no rival. Veterans of the series will be delighted as the familiar magic is back.
out of 10
PES 2015 REVIEW

PES 2015 Review (PS4)

It's been an interesting year for Konami's PES team. While EA rushed to harness the power of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One with FIFA 14, Konami decided to release PES 2014 on the Xbox 360 & PS3 utilizing the critically acclaimed Fox Engine. Despite receiving numerous gameplay patches throughout the year, PES 2014 often felt more frustrating than fun. Those who stayed the course with PES 2014 were ultimately rewarded with the best gameplay since PES 2011.

As news began to emerge on PES 2015, the community remained cautiously optimistic as Konami boasted that this year, "The Pitch is Ours." It's a claim that the community had heard before and all signs were pointing towards a pivotal year for a franchise that has seen its market share decrease in Europe and the United States over the past few years.

With the release of PES 2015, Konami has attempted to re-embrace its roots, focusing its attention on what it does best: gameplay. Now that kickoff whistle has blown, it's time to take to the pitch and see how successful PES 2015 is this year at replicating the beautiful game.

Gameplay

While PES 2014 often gave users the feeling of playing against the game instead of playing with it, PES 2015 feels like a godsend with its newfound responsive controls. While some transitional animations could use attention, the clunky animations from a year ago have for the most part been smoothed out and when combined with the enhanced AI, help to recreate that long-lost PES magic.

PES has always been about creating that moment of magic, but it's the ebb and flow in between that attracts so many to the series. Build-up play has never been better as midfielders work to find space opening up passing lanes while defenders work tirelessly to close down space and passing angles. Football fundamentalists are rewarded for setting up their sides with instructions that carry over to the attack and defense due to the introduction of "Fluid Formations."

Dribbling has never felt better thanks to "Close Control" as you can now beat defenders without having to rely on a skill/trick move. A quick change of direction when combined with a speed burst (think Arjen Robben) is just as effective, if not more, than a series of stepovers (think Cristiano Ronaldo). Keepers, a weak point in the demo, were upgraded and now do a much job at parrying away from danger and stopping shots from tight angles.

While some of their animations could be sped up, gamers will notice some like Manuel Neuer of Bayern Munich sprinting out of their box to clear the danger. While the gameplay is very strong this year, there are still some areas which could use improvement such as fouls and a look at the stamina which depletes entirely too quickly.

It's puzzling that fouls aren't as prominent considering the last console patch for the PS3/XBOX 360 had a balanced amount of fouls. While it will take some time to get used to laying off the turbo button, stamina for wide position players (wingers and fullbacks) drains too quickly and often leaves them unavailable for consecutive matches in Master League.

Despite these issues, PES 2015 excels on the pitch offering gameplay that is not only rewarding but also strangely satisfying even if you're on the wrong side of defeat.

Game Modes

PES 2015 offers a variety of game modes capable of attracting your full attention. Series staples like Master League, League/Cup Mode, and Become a Legend all return. Fans can also play through several real-life tournaments such as the UEFA Champions & Europa Leagues, Copa Libertadores, Copa Sudamerica, and the AFC Champions League.

Once upon a time, Master League reigned supreme.

But now, from its outdated menus to its lack of innovative new features, Master League pales in comparison to FIFA's Manager Mode despite a few minor additions. As you take control of either a real life club or the default master league squad your virtual manager will sign a one year contract leaving you free to pursue other opportunities at the end of the year if you so please.

Adding players to your squad via the transfer market has been improved with the addition of terms such as appearance and goal bonuses to name a few. You can even add a player to help sweeten the deal. In my run through with Chelsea I found it too easy to acquire players as I was able to add Wayne Rooney after one negotiation and a modest offer of ~30 million sterling british pounds. One added bonus which has been in for years is the ability to actually look at player stats before targeting a player, a feature not available in FIFA unless he plays in the same league as you. 

Coach Mode has been introduced within Master League and is surprisingly well done. As the manager, you can set your lineup and watch your tactics play out in a camera of your choosing or go into a Football Manager-esque view with real-time stats to boot. Unfortunately, the immersion of Master League is tainted by a sim-engine bug which produces way too many goals in simmed CPU vs CPU matches. My simulation often saw score lines of 10-4 or 9-0 resulting in some obscene goal differentials at the end of the season.

My run through with Chelsea saw Manchester City win the League after scoring 192 goals with a +116 goal differential. While it will most likely be fixed with a patch, the bug should have been caught by the Konami's QA/QC Department. One saving grace was that the League Table looked very realistic with both Manchester Clubs, Chelsea, and Arsenal rounding out the Top 4 while Leicester, Burnley, and Aston Villa were relegated.

To put it bluntly, online play been a black eye for the franchise for some time now.

With the game still region-locked, North American users have often complained about the length of time they had to wait before finding a quick match. Once you enter the match the game suffers from the occasional lag albeit not as bad as years past. Hopefully as more people purchase the game more users will flood the servers decreasing wait times.

It's a shame because Konami's new online MyClub mode is really entertaining. Known formerly as Master League Online, MyClub allows you to build a club from scratch either through in-game earned points (GP) or the dreaded micro transactions. As you gain MyClub coins, you can increase the likeliness of grabbing a marquee player through your agent via the "wheel of fortune" draw. The randomness is a bit unrealistic yet oddly encapsulating as you wait in anticipation of who will be revealed. Even though the mode is in direct competition with FIFA's Ultimate Team, PES players have the ability to play offline vs the CPU who will use other player’s squads. I imagine it will be pretty fun to text a friend after you thrash his virtual squad in one of these matchups.

Visuals

With the power of next-gen consoles, PES fans expected to see a huge upgrade in 2015. Unfortunately, graphics are a mixed bag this year. While the PS4 is capable of 1080p, those on the Xbox One have to suffer through some jaggies as the game could only be optimized at 720p in order to maintain 60 frames per second. It's obvious that Konami spent a lot of time on player faces as those who are scanned look incredibly life-like. Those who didn't make the cut suffer at the hands of the generic preset faces (remember Rafael from 2014, yikes!). Body models and skin tones are generally OK although Konami could take the next leap and supplement them with real cloth-physics as shorts still look a bit off.

Edit Mode

Edit Mode was hailed as "Unlimited" but at the time of release it's anything but. Gone is the ability to upload images and the inability to transfer edit data makes next-gen option files impossible at this time. Stadium Editor, missing from 2014, was reintroduced but doesn't actually let you create any new stadiums, only edit areas like seat color and pitch length for example. In a game that is highly customizable it's a real shame that edit mode was stripped down. If you're willing to put in the time you can still obtain reasonably close kits and real stadium/manager names but option file makers really spoiled us over the years.

Presentation

Apart from the new tile menus, presentation hasn't seen a big overhaul. After the horrendous menus of PES 2014, Konami adopted more of a western approach as the windows based tiles were introduced for 2015. Users can now customize the front panel for quick access to their favorite modes.

The soundtrack is relatively small (10 songs) but contains some catchy songs from likes of Imagine Dragons and The Preatures. In-game presentation hasn't changed much as Champions League matches will still have the familiar anthem blaring during the pre-match entrance followed up by the official ball and overlays. Stat overlays are in the game but are too infrequent. The few stadiums that are in the game are replicated well with boisterous crowds that react to crunching tackles and near misses.

The commentary has always been pretty bad in PES as Jon Champion's patient style is tough to recreate in a video game as he often lets the game play out in real life without adding commentary. 

Final Thoughts

PES 2015 is a well done game on the pitch, and it doesn't do anything else particularly bad. While Master League needs some improvements, and online play could use a bit of modernizing -- the game itself is an incredible experience after kickoff. The additional licenses and graphical bump of next-gen make the game feel a bit more polished, but there are still rough edges. All in all though, that familiar PES magic is back this year.

Learning Curve – It takes a bit of time to get used to PES if you're a newcomer to the series, especially if you've migrated over from FIFA. Luckily a Skills Trainer is available to help hone your skills and up your comfort level.

Visuals – Up close, PES looks amazing as faces are so life-like that you'll want to warn your little ones when Ribery is on the TV. From far away the visuals can look washed out and in need of fine-tuning.

Audio – The commentary needs more lines as there is too much dead-air. Importing custom chants, a past feature, needs to be reintroduced.

Value – There's a plethora of game modes to showcase the beautiful AI and while the lack of licenses can be a turn-off for some, it can also help to expand your horizons as you play with clubs from leagues you're not as familiar with. New weekly updates and if history is any indicator, the game will receive patches (There's already one planned in December to add 5 stadiums and some more licensed clubs) addressing gameplay and other issues. The strong gameplay leads to that "One more match" feeling from years past.

Score: 8.0 (Great)

PES 2015 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 ronnieb @ 11/19/14 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
Keep in mind this review was/is for the PS4/XB1 so things like no option files, 5 less stadiums than current gen, the inability to use patches like SweetFX, etc... hurt the game.

Gameplay was the main positive about PES but it's about the total package, Online, Career Modes, Editing, etc...

PES is probably neck & neck with NBA2K when it comes to online stability, maybe worse since many users, myself included, have to jump off the internet to avoid the dreaded "Establish Connection" prompt that can sometimes freeze a game.

Master League & BAL Career Modes are stale and in-some areas, worse than years past. ML at a time was innovative. It had Youth Squads, in-depth stats, awards, etc... all before FIFA's Manager Mode. The reality is that Konami have done very little with it over the last few years. For offline players, it's a huge blow having this GREAT gameplay but a stale career mode. At some point, the off-the-pitch experience needs to rival the on-the-pitch experience.

And while Microsoft & Sony can take some of the blame regarding not allowing option file transfers the fact that Konami removed the pixel editor for jerseys on the NG systems is huge. The ability to create generic stadiums?.....gone.

I love the gameplay and can't wait til play it after my lil one goes to sleep but I believe an 8 (which is considered a Great game by the new scoring methodology) is fair considering the challenges. Now, I'll revisit it after it receives the patches to address fouls & stamina as well as the December DLC update.

Ok i get all your points and i agree
so let me formulate differentlty how FIFA 15 is a 9 ? that s just not so OS
the gameplay is really poor, my point is there's no way a game get a 9 if the gameplay is not AAA especially here.
i think both game should be around 8 .
FIFA 7.5 PES 8
By the way it s just crazy how PES could progress in years to come while i don t see fifa going nowwhere
soory for the poor english

# 22 fearwhatnow @ 11/19/14 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnieb
the gameplay is really poor, my point is there's no way a game get a 9 if the gameplay is not AAA especially here.
FIFA 7.5 PES 8
By the way it s just crazy how PES could progress in years to come while i don t see fifa going nowwhere
As long as FIFA consumers buy the game especially for the atrocious thing called FUT and go in real money microtransactions, the game will never progress gameplay wise.
I see that FIFA 15 is PEGI 3+. This means that many people under 18 participate in a somewhat gambling game with real money. I haven't seen any particular disclaimer for FUT and I'm curious how EA distinguishes the use of credit cards by children inside this mode. It really looks too shady for me.

# 23 KG @ 11/19/14 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearwhatnow
As long as FIFA consumers buy the game especially for the atrocious thing called FUT and go in real money microtransactions, the game will never progress gameplay wise.
I see that FIFA 15 is PEGI 3+. This means that many people under 18 participate in a somewhat gambling game with real money. I haven't seen any particular disclaimer for FUT and I'm curious how EA distinguishes the use of credit cards by children inside this mode. It really looks too shady for me.
Read an interesting take on modes like FUT yesterday that said EA is/might look at stripping the mode out of the regular game and offer it as a free stand-alone game to maximize access. The thought behind it is of course $ and that the $60 price tag might be a barrier to more earnings if they offered it for free.

# 24 ronnieb @ 11/19/14 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearwhatnow
i m an old gamer close to my 40, ISS (PES) back in the days of PS1 and PS2 was crushing fifa in sales in europe and the lack of bells and whistle in ISS was the same as today, but the gameplay always win.
Nba 2K wins because of its gameplay. Where would be madden today if EA did not get that exclusivity ?
it s not that hard to replicate FUT, but fifa is 10 years back in the AI and gameplay department.
I may be a dreamer but i think that marketing will not beat gameplay, exclusivity can kill a game but the core gameplay will win the hearts of gamers, i m very curious to see the numbers of sales this year and i can see PES did what 2K did to live in the next five years if they can add stellar presentation to their hugely better gameplay.

# 25 Battman @ 11/19/14 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnieb
FIFA 7.5 PES 8
Amen. But I would give FIFA eben less than 7,5. Come on: Scripted gameplay!!! That alone should suffice for bad ratings!!! That should be a no go, especially for OS, a site dedicated to serious sports gamers! And the game does not resemble a real football game. The CPU dribbles, turns and dribbles again. The player just makes far too many meters with the ball. And it doesnt matter if it is the best midfielder or worst defender: They all dribble and turn, dribble and turn.
The fun thing is: I buy FIFA every second year just to find out that I am a 41 yr. old moron who once again fell into EAs marketing trap. Ok. The last 2 times I primarily bought the game for my kids who still love it. Until they find out that EA just does not fix the problems accompanying this game year after year.

# 26 ronnieb @ 11/20/14 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battman
Amen. But I would give FIFA eben less than 7,5. Come on: Scripted gameplay!!! That alone should suffice for bad ratings!!! That should be a no go, especially for OS, a site dedicated to serious sports gamers! And the game does not resemble a real football game. The CPU dribbles, turns and dribbles again. The player just makes far too many meters with the ball. And it doesnt matter if it is the best midfielder or worst defender: They all dribble and turn, dribble and turn.
The fun thing is: I buy FIFA every second year just to find out that I am a 41 yr. old moron who once again fell into EAs marketing trap. Ok. The last 2 times I primarily bought the game for my kids who still love it. Until they find out that EA just does not fix the problems accompanying this game year after year.
7,5 cause outside off the pitch it s close to perfect and even if i sound harsh about it i value bells and whistles, also fifa gameplay is not bad, it can be some what enjoyable, it s just not football, at all.

# 27 xicpanad @ 11/20/14 10:36 AM
People should really stop the type of things saying Fifa is garbage and PES is the real deal. Its like comparing Forza to Burnout. They are diferent games, aimed at diferent target audiences. Fifa tries to get closer to reality through appearence, shinning beauty all over, but the on ptich behaviour is far far away from reality, but I think thatīs exactly the way they wanted to.

PES keeps the same approach of the ugly wonder. We canīt see the beauty only by looking at it, but his behaviour on the pitch is the closest to real soccer, though not perfect.

# 28 RoyceDa59 @ 11/20/14 10:55 AM
This thread needs to be kept under control. It is has already turned into a PES vs. Fifa topic instead actually discussing the review.

# 29 DBMcGee3 @ 11/20/14 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
Keep in mind this review was/is for the PS4/XB1 so things like no option files, 5 less stadiums than current gen, the inability to use patches like SweetFX, etc... hurt the game.

Gameplay was the main positive about PES but it's about the total package, Online, Career Modes, Editing, etc...

PES is probably neck & neck with NBA2K when it comes to online stability, maybe worse since many users, myself included, have to jump off the internet to avoid the dreaded "Establish Connection" prompt that can sometimes freeze a game.

Master League & BAL Career Modes are stale and in-some areas, worse than years past. ML at a time was innovative. It had Youth Squads, in-depth stats, awards, etc... all before FIFA's Manager Mode. The reality is that Konami have done very little with it over the last few years. For offline players, it's a huge blow having this GREAT gameplay but a stale career mode. At some point, the off-the-pitch experience needs to rival the on-the-pitch experience.

And while Microsoft & Sony can take some of the blame regarding not allowing option file transfers the fact that Konami removed the pixel editor for jerseys on the NG systems is huge. The ability to create generic stadiums?.....gone.

I love the gameplay and can't wait til play it after my lil one goes to sleep but I believe an 8 (which is considered a Great game by the new scoring methodology) is fair considering the challenges. Now, I'll revisit it after it receives the patches to address fouls & stamina as well as the December DLC update.
Yeah, the editing options are a huge blow for the next gen versions of the game. I can live with not being able to import images (though I shouldn't have to), but the inability to design our own logos and put them on the kits is baffling. At the very least, you'd think they would give us access to sponsor's logos which are already in the game (Puma, Adidas, Emirates, etc.).

Oh well, it's still a great game, and as much as I love FIFA this year, PES is more fun on the pitch, in my opinion. It just seems more fluid to me, and the AI of the CPU is more realistic on both ends.

# 30 Battman @ 11/20/14 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyceDa59
This thread needs to be kept under control. It is has already turned into a PES vs. Fifa topic instead actually discussing the review.
When you discuss a graded review you tend to compare it with other reviews.

# 31 Battman @ 11/20/14 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xicpanad
People should really stop the type of things saying Fifa is garbage and PES is the real deal. Its like comparing Forza to Burnout. They are diferent games, aimed at diferent target audiences. Fifa tries to get closer to reality through appearence, shinning beauty all over, but the on ptich behaviour is far far away from reality, but I think thatīs exactly the way they wanted to.

PES keeps the same approach of the ugly wonder. We canīt see the beauty only by looking at it, but his behaviour on the pitch is the closest to real soccer, though not perfect.
In my opinion that was true before the PS3 versions of the games. From 2007 on PES became more and more an arcade game and FIFA established more sim elements.

# 32 Badattitude @ 11/22/14 12:36 AM
Wow , so after a week with PES - I'm ready to shut it off....

I thought I was back - but this game is really PS2 Quality ...it's clunky menus, it's way too overdone with formations and possession etc ...

The game DOES NOT play better than FIFA , it's NOT more realistic ....in fact it's the complete opposite ...the uniforms the lack of pitches the lack just pure realness isn't there....

You can scale FIFA's speed down and get that sitting , waiting , buildup action you want - very easy and the FIFA AI is far more of a challenge to handle than PES ....

I don't mean to be FIFA v PES but people running around saying FIFA isn't a real game etc are lost - you can get that SIM feel plus all the great features like ..real kits etc ...

The give-up you make from FIFA to PES is just too steep to gain maybe a slight edge in one or two aspects of PES ....just way too much ...

FIFA is a brilliant ...it's the ONLY EA game that gets better and better every year ...

I was hoping PES would put me in the game ...you know when you play LA Liga on FIFA and it's Real v Barca - you FEEL it

# 33 fearwhatnow @ 11/22/14 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badattitude

I thought I was back - but this game is really PS2 Quality ...it's clunky menus, it's way too overdone with formations and possession etc ...

The game DOES NOT play better than FIFA , it's NOT more realistic ....in fact it's the complete opposite ...the uniforms the lack of pitches the lack just pure realness isn't there....

You can scale FIFA's speed down and get that sitting , waiting , buildup action you want - very easy and the FIFA AI is far more of a challenge to handle than PES ....

I don't mean to be FIFA v PES but people running around saying FIFA isn't a real game etc are lost - you can get that SIM feel plus all the great features like ..real kits etc ...

The give-up you make from FIFA to PES is just too steep to gain maybe a slight edge in one or two aspects of PES ....just way too much ...

FIFA is a brilliant ...it's the ONLY EA game that gets better and better every year ...

I was hoping PES would put me in the game ...you know when you play LA Liga on FIFA and it's Real v Barca - you FEEL it
Yeah, right. We are sitting and waiting to see some build up action in FIFA nearly a decade now.
Also, pc users already have their game fully licensed.
Finally, you're maybe the only one member in OS that can't face the fact:
CPU AI, build up and CPU tactical play variation in PES 15 puts to shame every release of FIFA since '96.

# 34 Badattitude @ 11/22/14 03:35 PM
People turned in PES last 3 years in DROVES - utter ****e.... and PES Die Hards agreed - My God last year the ball was like a ping pong table - twas embarrassing ...

# 35 orion523 @ 11/22/14 07:25 PM
Nearly two weeks after release, and I'm still not sure how I feel. On the one hand, the CPU plays a smart, varied game that's a joy to behold. Unfortunately though that's where the 'joy" ends. Master League is laughable, unplayable even with 10-9 score lines, archaic menus, terrible transfer logic, pathetic commentary, and a dearth of licenses, that completely destroys any sense of immersion, and that's saying nothing about the complete lack of the Bundesliga which is arguably the greatest league in the world. BAL? Same problems. Online play? Awful. Physics? Yeah, awful. Season mode? Champions League? Everything is bogged down by poor design. So basically what we have is a great game of exhibition football. Yet somehow this game is getting insanely high reviews including the one here. Now I'm all for great gameplay, and I really do appreciate the strides that PES has made this year, but until they get it together and step it up everywhere else the game will remain second rate.

# 36 xicpanad @ 11/22/14 07:58 PM
I think that people were getting so screwed up with previous PEs editions, that now such an improvement makes them feel they are playing the best soccer game ever. A revolution to be honest. In my opinion its not more then just a good PES game. For me, a 7.5 would be generous. Gameplay its great but it just falls to short on everything else.

Nowadays we want the complete pack. Long gone are the testing days. After so many years of gaming experience, we expect the companies to finaly deliver full products. But it looks like they are enojoying the fact that people still buy incomplete stuff for the price of a full game. If PES wasnīt so good years ago, and this was in fact the first edition of a PES game, it would be considered the worst game for sure. But hey, its PES and we are all hoping for the next year already while we play this one.

# 37 Badattitude @ 11/22/14 10:04 PM
I was a HUGE Pes fan back in the day but FIFA has simply blown it;s door off in EVERY single facet ...

You wanna say the slow buildup is a treasure - fine....but watch Football today -the game has gotten faster ...long balls across the pitch swung in from insane distance ...speed demons all over the pitch ..the play is very much rushed in England - it's about moving uo the pitch quickly - FIFA plays quick ....

# 38 delija66 @ 11/23/14 12:30 AM
Quote:

Nice try

# 39 fearwhatnow @ 11/23/14 05:19 AM
Quote:
I was a HUGE Pes fan back in the day but FIFA has simply blown it;s door off in EVERY single facet ...

You wanna say the slow buildup is a treasure - fine....but watch Football today -the game has gotten faster ...long balls across the pitch swung in from insane distance ...speed demons all over the pitch ..the play is very much rushed in England - it's about moving uo the pitch quickly - FIFA plays quick ....
1. PES 15 has teams with slow build up and teams with a faster one.
2. "..long balls across the pitch swung in from insane distance". Have you seen anything like this in FIFA 15?? (consoles version not the heavily modded pc one).

@Orion, KONAMI's football department is a small one. They have a limited amount of money and they can't beat EA providing a fully licensed game. That's never going to change. Also, I haven't seen anything wrong with the physics (ball or players). What do you think is wrong with the physics?
Master League ofc has many flaws, it isn't as shiny as EA's manager mode but it's playable. As long as the gameplay variation is there I'm able to "forget" all the presentation flaws. And gameplay is hands down the best ever in a football videogame. After dozens of games I'm still amazed with the cpu AI and the attacking variation I see in every match.
Finally, the game as I posted earlier is already fully licensed on PC. I know most people have the game on the new consoles but when they bought their new console they accepted Sony's and Microsoft's policy against any kind of modding.

# 40 xicpanad @ 11/23/14 09:38 AM
Yep, I bought a console because I told myself that I had enough of all the fine tuning and patches and evrything else that PC needs to run games properly. Its a pain in the *** to be able to play all games out of the box. Lots of settings on GPUs are necessary to improve games stability and performance and I just had enough of that. In console at least I can fire up a game and I know he will run flawlessly. I found that licenses and whatever are not that important to me, as long as I can play the damn game. Had a blast with Fifa and Iīm slowly getting there with PES.

Why Konami didnīt grow enough to complete the game year after year I donīt understand, specially noticing lots of guys that make great patches after only a couple of months. Real names is not an issue to me, its easily editable, but lack of generic stadiums for each league, 2nd divisions for all leagues, even more leagues etc its just not understandable in these days. I canīt believe they canīt assign a couple guys to make them through one year. Still, game is easily enjoyed and I will spend several hours/days in master league adventures and custom cups.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.