Home
OS Scores Explained Super Mega Baseball Overview (PS4)
Pros
Simply a fun game of baseball; Outstanding pitching and hitting interface; Graphics are vibrant and captivating.
Cons
Only four total stadiums; Lacks game modes; No true multiplayer.
Bottom Line
A good arcade baseball title, one of the best of its kind in several years. Worth a look if you like fast-paced baseball action.
out of 10
Super Mega Baseball REVIEW

Super Mega Baseball Review (PS4)

If you’re an older sports gamer, than you probably have fond memories of past baseball games such as Ken Griffey Jr.’s Winning Run, R.B.I Baseball (Classic version) and Baseball Stars. What do all of these games have in common? Well, that would be a simple, engaging, and fun approach to America’s past time. While games like this are a rarity these days, the ambitious developer, Metalhead, aims to bring a small piece of that era back, with Super Mega Baseball. Did they succeed?

GAMEPLAY

As with any sports game the gameplay is incredibly important, even for the an arcade game such as Super Mega Baseball (SMB). If you’re wondering if the gameplay will make you feel the need to blow in the cartridge to make it work again, the answer is yes. In almost every way possible, Super Mega Baseball draws an inspiration from all of the titles mentioned before, and more. The gameplay offers a simple approach, but yet has a certain depth to the strategy required to be successful on the harder levels.

Batting

The hitting interface is once again, you guessed it, simple in its approach. It offers the basic hit X, Square, or O for normal, power, or bunt. If one is inclined to use the analog stick for the same purposes, Metalhead has you covered. Although the approach is simplistic in nature, it does require the user to have a keen eye, and understand the strike zone. If you try and pull an outside pitch, chances are you’re going to hit a weak ground ball to short or third, or throw a lazy popup in the air to the infield. Although an arcade game by nature, the physics that SMB brings to the table is a baseball simulation at its core, and requires a sim style approach to match, unless of course you’re playing on the lower difficulties.

Pitching

As much as we loved the hitting in this game, the pitching interface is one of the finest we have ever been privy to using. If you have ever played the Ken Griffey or Power Pro series, then you will feel right at home. Once you select your pitch, you are then required to place a location reticule in your desired location. After you have done that, a sort of gravitational icon appears and it is incumbent upon you to place that icon as close to the center of your location reticule to achieve full pitch effectiveness. While it may sound a little over the top, trust us when we say it is outstanding, and we hope other baseball titles will make this an option moving forward.

Fielding

The fielding in SMB is similar to the pitching in the fact that once the ball is place, your player will gravitate towards the general direction of where the ball will be landing. Think of it as semi-assisted fielding, but it does give the user the option to take full control to run faster, dive or jump, and throw the ball to the location of choice. The first time you make a diving grab at short, or rob a would-be homerun, it will feel like a well earned accomplishment. The fielding may not be as fun or intuitive as the hitting or pitching, but that doesn’t mean it’s boring, because it’s not.

MODES

This is an area that SMB struggles a bit, as it only offers up two modes: Season and Exhibition. While season mode does give the user the option to choose a season length, difficulty, number of innings, it is simply one season and you’re done. With that said, SMB does offer deep stat tracking, which is a huge plus, and the user can customize each team member, both in looks and namesake, but that’s as deep as the well runs. The stat tracking and customization options are a very nice inclusion (ye,s we are looking at you R.B.I Baseball 14) but for some that are hoping for a career, multiple-season or online league modes, you might be a bit disappointed. We would also be remiss if we didn’t mention that while there is no true online multiplayer in SMB, it does offer couch co-op seasons and exhibition.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Although Super Mega Baseball may not be as deep a game as some are accustomed to, it absolutely shines in the gameplay department. It’s simply an arcade baseball game with simulation roots, that will have one wanting to play it again the minute you stop playing it. If you’re looking for a fun baseball game that you can finish in about 20 minutes to get you through the doldrums of winter, Super Mega Baseball should be perfect for you.

Learning Curve – Not a difficult game, but will require some time to master the pitch and hitting interface.

Control Scheme – Simple and responsive

Visuals – Fun, cartoonish, and over the top – which is perfect for this game

Audio – Timely and accurate, and we love the quirky umpire voice.

Replay Value – Short on modes, and true MP could have added some much needed depth.

Score 7.0 (Good)

Super Mega Baseball Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Stormyhog @ 12/15/14 11:34 AM
While not a full online experience shareplay if it works could help in that area.

# 2 addybojangles @ 12/15/14 12:12 PM
How much is this? Sounds like a solid $15 purchase, a little spendy at $20 and a no-brainer at $12 or less...

# 3 bluengold34_OS @ 12/15/14 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by addybojangles
How much is this? Sounds like a solid $15 purchase, a little spendy at $20 and a no-brainer at $12 or less...

It's $19.99 and worthy of every cent IMO

# 4 HustlinOwl @ 12/15/14 12:17 PM
all videos Ive seen for this game it is tailored for the casual sports fan and an average title at best 5-6 for me and may purchase, but not likely

# 5 rspencer86 @ 12/15/14 12:32 PM
My biggest question is:

Can you play multiplayer online via SharePlay?

# 6 HustlinOwl @ 12/15/14 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer86
My biggest question is:

Can you play multiplayer online via SharePlay?
from videos Ive seen it has not been available yet, so not sure

# 7 bluengold34_OS @ 12/15/14 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
from videos Ive seen it has not been available yet, so not sure

We tried to but no go - but spoke with Dev team and they assured me this would available.

# 8 Money99 @ 12/15/14 01:19 PM
bluengold34_OS, are there ratings for every defensive position?

# 9 bluengold34_OS @ 12/15/14 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
bluengold34_OS, are there ratings for every defensive position?
Each positional player has a rating for arm and fielding. Nothing specific like Acc or Jmp, but they do have ratings.

# 10 Turbojugend @ 12/15/14 01:42 PM
So from the sounds of it you can customize every player, both name and appearance? If so, I'd buy it just to recreate a bunch of legends and make a "Field of Dreams" type scenario.

# 11 Money99 @ 12/15/14 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
Each positional player has a rating for arm and fielding. Nothing specific like Acc or Jmp, but they do have ratings.
Thanks Blue!
So will that mean they're ranked in various positions? (eg. SS, 2B, 1B, OF, etc)?

I loved Bad News Baseball because they had defensive ratings for every position.
In one season, my starting SS got hurt and I was forced to put in a player who was C+ at short.
It made things really interesting as this player made several errors while my starter was out.
I liked that added strategy needed when tackling injuries.
I was hoping SMB might have something similar.

I'm 99% sure I'll be getting this game. I LOVE that I can play with my boys on the same team. And I know they'll love customizing all the players.

Looking forward to seeing and reading more on SMB.

# 12 nemesis04 @ 12/15/14 02:27 PM
Quote:
This is an area that SMB struggles a bit, as it only offers up two modes: Season and Exhibition. While season mode does give the user the option to choose a season length, difficulty, number of innings, it is simply one season and you’re done.
Nice write up!

Can you clarify the bold. I thought in reading some of the developer responses there was season carryover? I know some stats carried and some did not but you could do multiple seasons.

# 13 bluengold34_OS @ 12/15/14 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Nice write up!

Can you clarify the bold. I thought in reading some of the developer responses there was season carryover? I know some stats carried and some did not but you could do multiple seasons.

I will have to double check to confirm Nem - but my impression was one season only - give me a bit to confirm

# 14 allBthere @ 12/15/14 03:11 PM
Just watching a video on youtube confirmed my buy - it's so smooth and clean and tidy! looks like fun, I would play a season mode maybe edit a few players and do 5 inning games which from the looks of it you can play 15min/per game = perfect!

# 15 bluengold34_OS @ 12/15/14 03:27 PM
Quote:
Nice write up!

It does have multiple seasons in a way - here is what carries over to a new season

"Your improved team and account progress carry over, and it does takes multiple seasons to fully improve a team."

# 16 nemesis04 @ 12/15/14 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
It does have multiple seasons in a way - here is what carries over to a new season

"Your improved team and account progress carry over, and it does takes multiple seasons to fully improve a team."
Ok great, thanks for the clarification. All ready for a Tuesday download!

# 17 bluengold34_OS @ 12/15/14 03:58 PM
Quote:
Ok great, thanks for the clarification. All ready for a Tuesday download!
Absolutely Bob - happy to help. To expand on season mode -

Your improved team and account progress carry over, and it does takes multiple seasons to fully improve a team.

Your record/stats from previous seasons aren't saved though.

The long term game is trying to get the very best coaches (and modifiers) so you can jack up your team maximally

So it is basically one season at a time, but the improvements you make to your players and coaches will carry over to a new single season.

# 18 TheBleedingRed21 @ 12/15/14 04:07 PM
Never mind.

# 19 bluengold34_OS @ 12/15/14 04:11 PM
Question answered

# 20 BCDX97 @ 12/15/14 06:57 PM
If this game is going to have a demo on PS4, I will definitely give it a look.

$20 for an arcade game without trying it out first is pretty steep, though.

« Previous12345678910Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.