Home
OS Scores Explained Super Mega Baseball Overview (PS4)
Pros
Simply a fun game of baseball; Outstanding pitching and hitting interface; Graphics are vibrant and captivating.
Cons
Only four total stadiums; Lacks game modes; No true multiplayer.
Bottom Line
A good arcade baseball title, one of the best of its kind in several years. Worth a look if you like fast-paced baseball action.
out of 10
Super Mega Baseball REVIEW

Super Mega Baseball Review (PS4)

If you’re an older sports gamer, than you probably have fond memories of past baseball games such as Ken Griffey Jr.’s Winning Run, R.B.I Baseball (Classic version) and Baseball Stars. What do all of these games have in common? Well, that would be a simple, engaging, and fun approach to America’s past time. While games like this are a rarity these days, the ambitious developer, Metalhead, aims to bring a small piece of that era back, with Super Mega Baseball. Did they succeed?

GAMEPLAY

As with any sports game the gameplay is incredibly important, even for the an arcade game such as Super Mega Baseball (SMB). If you’re wondering if the gameplay will make you feel the need to blow in the cartridge to make it work again, the answer is yes. In almost every way possible, Super Mega Baseball draws an inspiration from all of the titles mentioned before, and more. The gameplay offers a simple approach, but yet has a certain depth to the strategy required to be successful on the harder levels.

Batting

The hitting interface is once again, you guessed it, simple in its approach. It offers the basic hit X, Square, or O for normal, power, or bunt. If one is inclined to use the analog stick for the same purposes, Metalhead has you covered. Although the approach is simplistic in nature, it does require the user to have a keen eye, and understand the strike zone. If you try and pull an outside pitch, chances are you’re going to hit a weak ground ball to short or third, or throw a lazy popup in the air to the infield. Although an arcade game by nature, the physics that SMB brings to the table is a baseball simulation at its core, and requires a sim style approach to match, unless of course you’re playing on the lower difficulties.

Pitching

As much as we loved the hitting in this game, the pitching interface is one of the finest we have ever been privy to using. If you have ever played the Ken Griffey or Power Pro series, then you will feel right at home. Once you select your pitch, you are then required to place a location reticule in your desired location. After you have done that, a sort of gravitational icon appears and it is incumbent upon you to place that icon as close to the center of your location reticule to achieve full pitch effectiveness. While it may sound a little over the top, trust us when we say it is outstanding, and we hope other baseball titles will make this an option moving forward.

Fielding

The fielding in SMB is similar to the pitching in the fact that once the ball is place, your player will gravitate towards the general direction of where the ball will be landing. Think of it as semi-assisted fielding, but it does give the user the option to take full control to run faster, dive or jump, and throw the ball to the location of choice. The first time you make a diving grab at short, or rob a would-be homerun, it will feel like a well earned accomplishment. The fielding may not be as fun or intuitive as the hitting or pitching, but that doesn’t mean it’s boring, because it’s not.

MODES

This is an area that SMB struggles a bit, as it only offers up two modes: Season and Exhibition. While season mode does give the user the option to choose a season length, difficulty, number of innings, it is simply one season and you’re done. With that said, SMB does offer deep stat tracking, which is a huge plus, and the user can customize each team member, both in looks and namesake, but that’s as deep as the well runs. The stat tracking and customization options are a very nice inclusion (ye,s we are looking at you R.B.I Baseball 14) but for some that are hoping for a career, multiple-season or online league modes, you might be a bit disappointed. We would also be remiss if we didn’t mention that while there is no true online multiplayer in SMB, it does offer couch co-op seasons and exhibition.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Although Super Mega Baseball may not be as deep a game as some are accustomed to, it absolutely shines in the gameplay department. It’s simply an arcade baseball game with simulation roots, that will have one wanting to play it again the minute you stop playing it. If you’re looking for a fun baseball game that you can finish in about 20 minutes to get you through the doldrums of winter, Super Mega Baseball should be perfect for you.

Learning Curve – Not a difficult game, but will require some time to master the pitch and hitting interface.

Control Scheme – Simple and responsive

Visuals – Fun, cartoonish, and over the top – which is perfect for this game

Audio – Timely and accurate, and we love the quirky umpire voice.

Replay Value – Short on modes, and true MP could have added some much needed depth.

Score 7.0 (Good)

Super Mega Baseball Videos
Member Comments
# 141 hort22 @ 12/26/14 01:35 PM
wonder how hard it would be for them to implement a replay option...i made a sweet jumping catch at the wall yesterday and it would have been nice to see the replay...i even got the wall catch trophy for it.

# 142 Motown @ 12/26/14 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hort22
wonder how hard it would be for them to implement a replay option...i made a sweet jumping catch at the wall yesterday and it would have been nice to see the replay...i even got the wall catch trophy for it.
Should've been able to record w/ share button...PS4

# 143 hort22 @ 12/26/14 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown
Should've been able to record w/ share button...PS4
no share on my ps3.

# 144 Kearnzo @ 12/28/14 08:02 AM
So I'm playing a season on ego 50 and had a question. Does anyone else NOT move the reticle when hitting? I found that if I manually help the reticle move toward the pitch, I can't hit worth a damn. If I wait for a pitch that requires no extra help moving the reticle from me, I usually cream it.

Anyone else seeing this? I mean, it makes sense to wait for a good pitch, but unless it's more or less down the middle, I can't seem to do much of anything hitting.

Granted, I've only played 4 games.

Other than that, I'm loving the hell outta this game.

# 145 CMH @ 12/28/14 08:23 AM
I don't move the reticle. It moves on its own. I play on 50 ego as well.

As you increase ego, it moves more slowly to the pitch's last position while opposing pitch speed is ramped up to nearly impossible levels.

sent from my mobile device

# 146 nemesis04 @ 12/28/14 01:42 PM
I only move it on pitches down in the zone. Anywhere else I struggle, so I just wait for close pitches.

# 147 Kearnzo @ 12/29/14 08:28 AM
Yeah, I'll have to bump ego up. Once I started getting more patient and waiting on meatier pitches, I started raking, first at ego 50 and then ego 55. I'll jump up to 60 today and see how that is. This is all in my season with the Beewolves. I had started one with the Sirloins as power hitters seemed fun, but it was basically home run after home run. So far through four games with the Beewolves, I only have 3 homers, but I've had 10+ runs over the past 3 games after getting shut out in the first game.

As was said before, I wish there were seperate ego settings for hitting and pitching. Pitching has been particularly easy so far. Do you just have less time to locate pitches at higher settings?

# 148 nemesis04 @ 12/29/14 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kearnzo

As was said before, I wish there were seperate ego settings for hitting and pitching. Pitching has been particularly easy so far. Do you just have less time to locate pitches at higher settings?
Two different difficulties would be helpful. The pitching does get harder higher up but for me where I would have to put the difficulty, it makes hitting almost impossible.

# 149 Earl1963 @ 12/29/14 08:47 AM
Hope this is only the beginning for this game. A sequel with stadiums for all teams would be nice. And of course more user settings/sliders.

Sent using a telephone

# 150 allBthere @ 12/30/14 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
I only move it on pitches down in the zone. Anywhere else I struggle, so I just wait for close pitches.
I start it low at the bottom of the zone and a tad away where I like it in real life and that way I can jump on a fastball and crush it if I get one, otherwise I know lower is a ball, and too much away is a ball. I don't usually want to chase high fastballs anyway and the slower stuff I can ajust to easily.

So I think having a certain starting 'preference' helps especially if it's along 1 border of the zone for easy reference.

But I do move the cursor, it's sensitive and I've learned to feather it or if I have 2 strikes, using contact helps (if I'm not already using it depending on the player) and I will move it quicker, sometimes super fast and get lousy contact, but hey! that's baseball.

I currently play on 58 and will bump it up to 62 before the season is done. I'm a little opposite of some of you where hitting is easier for me than pitching.

# 151 allBthere @ 12/30/14 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
It's completely locked for me. Psn won't connect but my Internet is fine everywhere else.

Can't even use netflix. Guess I'll play other games.

this happened to me too, and if it happens for you in the future, just make it your primary ps4 which is an option in the menu and you will be able to play it during psn down time. I figured that out because of a poster here on OS, but right near the end of the downage! I realize depending on your situation you may not be able to do that, but if you can, no reason not to select that option.

# 152 Kearnzo @ 12/30/14 07:14 PM
Upped my ego to 65 for my last game, and won a tense 1-0 game. I'm sitting at 6-1 now in my season.

This game is awesome.

# 153 Blzer @ 12/30/14 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kearnzo
Upped my ego to 65 for my last game, and won a tense 1-0 game. I'm sitting at 6-1 now in my season.

This game is awesome.
I'm at ego 60 right now and am having trouble with the CPU just not hitting well against me. Everything else really seems good to go with regard to difficulty.

I feel like if I bump up ego to 70, even if the CPU started hitting right, suddenly I wouldn't be. We'll see though, in time.

# 154 Kearnzo @ 12/30/14 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I'm at ego 60 right now and am having trouble with the CPU just not hitting well against me. Everything else really seems good to go with regard to difficulty.

I feel like if I bump up ego to 70, even if the CPU started hitting right, suddenly I wouldn't be. We'll see though, in time.
Yeah, that's my issue as well. The computer did score 4 in this last game off of me, but 3 were off of one mistake they capitalized on. Other than that, I'm routinely getting quick 1-2-3 innings.

As I said, if the game had seperate ego settings for hitting and pitching, it would be perfect, but as it is, I may have to bump ego up higher than I am comfortable with to get the computer to hit, and it may be at the expense of my hitting. I'll stick with 65 for a few games though.

# 155 oakevin @ 01/02/15 03:49 PM
Just started my season and I'm not sure if i should upgrade my players, does the CPU upgrade their players?

# 156 Blzer @ 01/02/15 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakevin
Just started my season and I'm not sure if i should upgrade my players, does the CPU upgrade their players?
Supposedly they do.

# 157 CMH @ 01/02/15 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakevin
They do but from what I've seen, it doesn't show you what they used.

The icons are just question marks.

# 158 Simple Mathematics @ 01/02/15 10:17 PM
I love this game more and more every time I play it. I really hope we see a Super Mega Baseball 2. And for my own enjoyment, I'd love to see a Super Mega Hockey. But for now I am completely satisfied with SMB and I'm loving every bit of it.

# 159 Garrett67 @ 01/03/15 01:44 PM
I tried 3 innings on 99 Ego for the **** and I will just say , I didn't get a hit.

Brutal.

I love this game. I wish it had MP though, it needs it. My connection isn't fast enough for Share Play.

# 160 CMH @ 01/04/15 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett67
I tried 3 innings on 99 Ego for the **** and I will just say , I didn't get a hit.

Brutal.

I love this game. I wish it had MP though, it needs it. My connection isn't fast enough for Share Play.
I played a full 5 inning game and managed a seeing eye single. Not even sure how. I think I struck out 13 times.

But still, I only lost 3-0 I believe. Wish the cpu did more damage offensively at the toughest difficulty.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.