Home
OS Scores Explained Forza Motorsport 6 Overview (Xbox One)
Pros
An incredibly deep racing experience, content for days, the new weather effects are insane
Cons
Twitchy controls, antiquated driving mechanic, inconsistent vehicle responsiveness
Bottom Line
If ever a racing title was considered a must-have for your gaming rotation, Forza 6 is it.
out of 10
Forza Motorsport 6 REVIEW

Forza Motorsport 6 Review (Xbox One)

A genre that was widely neglected during the early stages of the next-generation console release, sim racing has seen quite the resurgence over the last three months, and Turn 10 has looked to add to that with its release of the highly anticipated Forza 6. Turn 10’s first effort this generation, Forza 5, left many wanting more as the depth and lack of content wore many people thin. But now Forza Motorsport 6 is here, so it's time to take a look at their newest offering, and see if the early buzz and excitement is warranted.

Gameplay

The heart of any racing title begins and ends with its ability to perform realistically on the track, and thankfully the developers at Turn 10 are able to walk that razor-thin line between simulation and fun. Sporting over 450 cars, 27 venues, a new weather system and night racing, the Turn 10 developers have packed an awful lot of content into this title.

If you have followed this game at all during its development, then you have a full understanding of how much the developers have touted the all new rain and weather system, and rightfully so. It is truly a game changer on the track as it forces drivers to navigate the track in a conservative fashion, and to try their best to avoid those rain puddles -- unless of course you enjoy finishing in the back of the pack.

The driving rain and dormant water on the track is such a chaotic variable added to the equation that some may find little to no enjoyment in it. It forces one to concentrate at all times, and leaves no time to lollygag. A rain and weather system may not be new to racing titles, but this is much more than just an aesthetic addition, and it will have an impact in some form in almost every encounter.

The other big addition is night racing, and by night racing I mean driving in pitch black conditions with only the soft glow of the dashboard and your headlights to help navigate the situation. In my multiple attempts driving at night, my nerves grated, my hands got sweaty and my eyes watered. Now that might be a little funny to read if it were not so true, but it’s most definitely true in every way possible. I found myself almost completely relying on my previous knowledge of track layouts and break points during my attempts at night racing because there is just not enough time to look at the on-screen map while still successfully navigating each turn -- and your opponent(s).

Controls

The only caveat to all the positives I have mentioned so far is the twitchiness of the controls. If you have played F1 2015 or Project Cars as of late, then you have most likely come to appreciate the level of fluid control in those games. With that said, the developers have included the ability to dial in your controller to your liking, but I have yet to find a way to create a really smooth experience on the track. Truth be told, if you have played previous Forza titles, you will feel right at home. However, your experience will differ on a less technical track like Monza, versus say Rio or Yas Marina. It’s not a game killer by any means, but the control mechanics in the Forza series are starting to feel a bit antiquated compared to other sims that have hit the market.

Career

The career mode will seem pretty familiar to those who have played the Forza series before, which is not a bad thing. This time around your career path will be broken up over five different categories, including night racing and dusk racing among others. Much like previous versions, the goal is to finish in the top three, but the payout is much higher if you cross the finish line first.

This year Forza 6 has incorporated quite a bit from its sister series, Forza Horizon, and the win-a-spin is one of those included. As your driver rating climbs to the next level, you will be allowed to spin the wheel (or simply press A) and have the chance to win Mod Packs, which are credits to buy cars, or upgrades or vehicles themselves. It is a nice little touch, and while it does not add tremendous replay value, I did find myself excited each time I got the chance to spin the wheel. The manufacture affinity payout also makes a return in Forza 6, and it rewards each player with a set amount of credits for staying loyal to his or her brand.

Also included in each sub-career category of your career is the ability to choose what type of vehicle you want to race in on the predetermined courses or tracks. The game allows you to choose from a wide array of categories such as American Muscle, Classic Road Cars, Sport SUV and many more. The freedom the game allows is a very nice touch, and helps reduce the grinding mentality that the Forza series has been famous for over the years.

You can still upgrade your cars like any typical Forza game, but Turn 10 has included a new twist this year with the inclusion of Mod Packs. Mod Packs are similar to EA's Ultimate Team modes, in that you can purchase packs of upgrades, boosts and dares. They can range anywhere from 12,000 credits to 300,000 credits, and the more you spend the better the return. Some unlocks can be used at any point, and some you will only get to use once before they're gone for good. There is definitely enough content and variety in career mode to keep one interested for weeks, if not months, which is great if you’re an offline player.

At the time this review was written, servers were only available with a developer reservation, so I can’t attest to how well they run. What I can say is that the online component for almost every Forza title I have played has been stellar, and I expect no less this time around (of course I'll be back to talk about online play once the game is released). While the servers were not yet available to the general public, online modes were and there are plenty to choose from. The modes range from an Exotic lobby to the Tag game, and everything in between. If online is where you find yourself spending most of your Forza fun time at, it seems like modes will not be the issue

Along with offering your standard set of online modes, Turn 10 has also incorporated online leagues this year into Forza 6. This mode will allow users to either set up a private league, or join one of the variations of public ones. The league can vary in difficulty, and gives folks the option to step up to a higher difficulty if they feel they are ready. Another nice inclusion in Forza 6 is the ability to spectate any race at any time. Instead of joining a room or lobby to race, you choose the option to spectate, and it allows you to do just that. This option will let you see how other online users approach each track down to each detailed turn, and also what cars may work best for each venue.

Final Thoughts

Forza 6 is a racing simulator at its core, and it requires you to treat it like a simulation even on the lower levels. On top of that, Turn 10’s newest offering is a deep experience, and the amount of content is almost overwhelming, especially compared to what Forza 5 offered. Being successful in Forza 6 at the higher levels requires time, patience and plenty of practice. The days of barreling into the corners and using your opponents as cornering leverage has been extremely reduced, and the Forza community is better for it. What Turn 10 has created here is nothing short of amazing, and in the days of minor tweaks and polishes, Forza 6 is a true of example of dedication, vision and effort.

Score: 8.5 (Great)

Forza Motorsport 6 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 McG @ 09/09/15 02:03 AM
Great review. I have be on the fence on if I should buy this game now, or wait until later due to the fact that I just bought Madden a few weeks ago, I will be getting NBA 2K16 and I might get FIFA16. After playing the demo a bit, I really enjoyed how smooth the game looked and played. The inclusion of mods, allows players like me that don't know how to tune to feel like I can get a bit of an advantage, without having to hope the random tuning setup I downloaded will be good for how I drive. I love how they included each car as a Forzavista car. Being able to actually see what the car is made up of and looking all around it is pretty cool and it just shows how serious the devs are. Honestly, I would've bought this game in a heartbeat if it was put out in April-August, but with so many games coming up, I don't think I will be able to give this game the time it requires and honestly deserves.

# 2 Tomba @ 09/09/15 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by McG
Great review. I have be on the fence on if I should buy this game now, or wait until later due to the fact that I just bought Madden a few weeks ago, I will be getting NBA 2K16 and I might get FIFA16. After playing the demo a bit, I really enjoyed how smooth the game looked and played. The inclusion of mods, allows players like me that don't know how to tune to feel like I can get a bit of an advantage, without having to hope the random tuning setup I downloaded will be good for how I drive. I love how they included each car as a Forzavista car. Being able to actually see what the car is made up of and looking all around it is pretty cool and it just shows how serious the devs are. Honestly, I would've bought this game in a heartbeat if it was put out in April-August, but with so many games coming up, I don't think I will be able to give this game the time it requires and honestly deserves.

Honestly this is the kind of game you put two or three games on the back burner for...

This is the first TRUE racing sim on next gen...

# 3 kackle85 @ 09/09/15 10:17 AM
Project cars is a TRUE sim and is next gen.

# 4 schnakenpopanz @ 09/09/15 12:50 PM
i will play both. project cars has deeper modes, but i guess F6 is the complete package

# 5 chunt04 @ 09/09/15 06:47 PM
Are you able to up the amount of laps driven in a career mode race? I love forza's attention to detail, but cannot stand the 3 lap races all the way through career mode. I would love to see the addition of longer races (and the return of endurance races) and the addition of penalties and flags to make people start driving properly. Yellow flag situations and pit stops are two of the greatest strategy situations in racing and Forza misses on both of these.

# 6 MachoMyers @ 09/10/15 12:30 AM
Preordered. Very excited for it to come out, one of the big reasons I got an XBox.

# 7 Sinner @ 09/12/15 08:05 PM
Have a question, for those that bought the Game of the Year addition to Forza 5 did it include more cars than the orignial?

I have like 4 games including this that I want over the next couple months so was thinking of holding off on this one till a Game of the Year addition or some other special addition comes out early next year.

If I did order it I would get the Deluxe Addition, the other 3 games I'm getting I have friends getting those games but none getting this one so that's another reason I was thinking about holding off. I know I will like it but will just like it better playing with a few friends.

Would it be worth it to wait for the GOY addition next year or will I have to buy the extra content I would get with the Deluxe version if I were buying it on release? (Hope I explained that right)

# 8 brandon27 @ 09/15/15 01:59 PM
I said I'd wait and buy this, then I played the demo. I still said I wasn't going to buy it, today, when I reluctantly went to pick up NHL16, I made the impulse decision to buy Forza too. It's in the car, waiting for me to take it home. I'd be shocked if I even open NHL for the next week or two if this game and me get along like F5, and FH2 did.

# 9 VTKombat @ 09/18/15 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon27
I said I'd wait and buy this, then I played the demo. I still said I wasn't going to buy it, today, when I reluctantly went to pick up NHL16, I made the impulse decision to buy Forza too. It's in the car, waiting for me to take it home. I'd be shocked if I even open NHL for the next week or two if this game and me get along like F5, and FH2 did.
It's really good. I bought the 100 dollar digital version so that I could play it five days early and get the vip pass. That allows me to double my earnings and I race with all assists off so I'm pulling 50,000 a race. The digital edition also keeps me from making an impulsive trade for some game down the road that I will only play for three hours. It is tough right now tho with wife, work, madden, nhl, now forza and fifa/nba on the horizon. I've got to get all of this out of my system before fallout 4 comes as well, cuz that game is going to ruin my life

# 10 logieuk @ 09/22/15 05:11 AM
Great game, cant quite put it on par as a ture race sim but I honestly think its the closest that Gran T/Forza have ever been!

Also have to agree with the control, even in a class E car it can be twitchy for no reason, I tried doing the Audi Lemans on Spa and it took 30 mins to get used to driving that with a pad. Sucks my PC wheel doesn't work with XB1

# 11 chelios7 @ 09/22/15 08:39 AM
I'm loving this game so far. I like the feel of the cars, the tracks look amazing and I feel that I'm actually challenged in more races this time around.

# 12 goillini03 @ 09/22/15 09:50 AM
Yeah, I have to get a wheel of some sort. I just have no feel with the controller!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

# 13 JMD @ 09/23/15 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba
Honestly this is the kind of game you put two or three games on the back burner for...

This is the first TRUE racing sim on next gen...
I'm sure it's a good game but it is not the first TRUE racing sim on next gen.

# 14 lnin0 @ 09/23/15 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
I'm sure it's a good game but it is not the first TRUE racing sim on next gen.
True. That honor belongs to Forza 5. Six is a brilliant game none the less.

# 15 sheredia @ 06/14/16 10:16 PM
just picked this up recently for $40 bucks and it is amazing......got the 10 year anniversary cars to boot. some of the community designs are pretty cool. the night and rain effects are great too.

# 16 sheredia @ 07/05/16 09:30 PM
love the fact that you get quite a few forms a racing to choose from....indycar, f1, nascar, etc. the only flaw i could find is that the two player split-screen is only head-to-head racing.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.