Home
Strategy Guide
Madden 10: Slot Screens Open Up the Passing Attack

Wes Welker and the New England Patriots may not be as efficient as they once were on offense, but with a healthy Tom Brady and Wes Welker, they can still strike fear in opposing defenses.

However, when most people think of the New England receivers, they tend to think about number 81, Randy Moss. But the receiver with three straight seasons with over 100 catches is not Moss, it's Wes Welker. The reason Wes Welker is so hard to stop -- and why Tom Brady will not stop throwing his way -- is because of his route-running ability, his hands and his ridiculous elusiveness.

The Patriots utilize his quickness and agility by giving him the ball on screen plays. This week AskMadden.com brings you Slot Screen out of Shotgun wing in the NE Playbook, which displays how to get the best out of this crafty wide receiver.

Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 The Police @ 12/21/09 06:17 PM
This is a pretty good tip. I don't really have anybody in the Wes Welker mold in my franchise, I'm using the Lions. I guess I could use Mohamed Massaquoi like this.

# 2 jvaccaro @ 12/21/09 08:24 PM
screens work well against soft zones, but that play could be a pick six if there's press man coverage or a CB blitz.

# 3 CreatineKasey @ 12/22/09 08:34 AM
I'd love to know how to user catch over cover 3 like that.

# 4 LBzrule @ 12/22/09 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
I'd love to know how to user catch over cover 3 like that.
I can get it sometimes, but the QB is also important too. Can't user it when sometimes the QB overthrows by 10 yards. But when the QB is on the money I'm 50/50 usering it. I try to user all of my catches. Also for most other WR's it'll be hard getting past that CB. If the user switches over to his CB he could have made a play on that easily.

# 5 sportyguyfl31 @ 12/22/09 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I can get it sometimes, but the QB is also important too. Can't user it when sometimes the QB overthrows by 10 yards. But when the QB is on the money I'm 50/50 usering it. I try to user all of my catches. Also for most other WR's it'll be hard getting past that CB. If the user switches over to his CB he could have made a play on that easily.

It's a shame how we need to do that though.

Did you see how the CB went from back peddle, turn and sprint, back to back peddle, then sprint again..all at one consistant speed and was able to stay stride for stride?

UGH.

# 6 RavensFan2k3 @ 12/22/09 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
It's a shame how we need to do that though.

Did you see how the CB went from back peddle, turn and sprint, back to back peddle, then sprint again..all at one consistant speed and was able to stay stride for stride?

UGH.
Tell me about it, when I first watched, I couldnt help but laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
this video shows how bad the AI is and how unrealistic it is. When you watch the replay, you see the WR set up to block his defender, the lineman pull and square up and stand there preparing to block his man, the db covering welker decide to back up and stand there and let himself be blocked, then after welker catches the ball all block are perfect and welker has a hole.

If that were real, the pass would have to be quicker, the dbs would have went after Welker instead of letting themselves be blocked, and this play would not look like that.

This game just is too robotic and doesnt resemble real football enough.
Yeah, that was rediculous. I play football on the defensive side, and I'll be damned if I just stand there and watch as I get blocked lmao

# 7 Valdarez @ 12/22/09 12:56 PM
I don't play online, but from playing offline it seems that the slot position is the most deadly in M10, primarily due to the routes that are available to it in the short game, and the way the coverage works on the mid to deep zones.

# 8 LBzrule @ 12/22/09 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
I don't play online, but from playing offline it seems that the slot position is the most deadly in M10, primarily due to the routes that are available to it in the short game, and the way the coverage works on the mid to deep zones.
The slot is deadly if you get what is called an "empty box" in any game. But if you get a "dirty box" the slot can be nullified. And a person can actually manually rape your slot man with the manual bump. If your defender has a good press he'll knock your slot WR on the ground. I don't like the WR vs DB bumps in this game. I think it is too simplistic and does not paint a holistic picture of WR vs DB battles.

# 9 gamerk2 @ 12/22/09 10:08 PM
Proving again why Madden stinks; too many ways to abuse.

Now, if Bump and Run coverage worked (as in, a battle at the line...like in 2k5 for instance...) then you wouldn't have types of situations.

Madden is a good video game, but a crappy football game.

# 10 RayAllen20 @ 12/22/09 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Well the slot is deadly if you have a speedy receiver in the NFL, since you they are usually matched up with safeties or linebackers. Most slot receivers suck at other attributes though like catching in traffic which is why they aren't able to dominate. Welker is a great slot receiver, who is UNSTOPPABLE in this game. He always lights me up for like 15 catches, and 200 yards. Then again he always lights up my Jets in real life.

# 11 carnalnirvana @ 12/24/09 11:50 AM
if NE dominated with the slot it would be fine but as in madden even something meant for good ends up broken

the lions, phins, raiders, jags, browns, bucs all have deadly slot offenses

its the first position to get open and the cpu is programed to hit the first guy.

in years past it was the RB getting open and getting 10 catches now its the slot..

i could put a DT in the slot and he would get 10 passes thrown to him

# 12 LBzrule @ 12/24/09 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamerk2
Proving again why Madden stinks; too many ways to abuse.

Now, if Bump and Run coverage worked (as in, a battle at the line...like in 2k5 for instance...) then you wouldn't have types of situations.

Madden is a good video game, but a crappy football game.
Actually bump and run would stop the screen. Man coverage in general stops the WR screens. The problem is the Bump and run would take away the screen and unless you know how to rocket catch it would also take away Moss. The bigger problem in this case is that the bump and run would take away Moss. If it is cover 2 man then fine, but in this game you can go with cover 1 or cover 0 and you can still take away Moss.

# 13 Buckeye @ 12/24/09 05:15 PM
would santana moss be a good slot reciever?

# 14 juicyluisa @ 12/25/09 07:41 PM
hi guy's add me pls... so we can be friends here....

# 15 juicyluisa @ 12/25/09 07:43 PM
hi guy's add me up pls.... so we can be friends here and have some chat...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.