Home
Strategy Guide
NBA 2K13: Six Best Role Players for Your Association
NBA 2K13 just released, and some of us are still fiddling with our lineups trying to get that perfect team for the Association mode. Trying to figure out your starting lineup is only the beginning. What about the role players that, might not be a high-scoring threat, can still help you in those tough situations? That's what Operation Sports is here for today, to help give you the six best role players (in no particular order).

James Harden

This one is pretty much a no-brainer. Harden is an overall 81 overall and he can play point guard, shooting guard, or small forward. He is the epitome of a role player. His defense is above average, but he truly shines on the offensive side of the ball. A handling rating of 83, a 3-point shooting rating of 86, and an inside scoring rating of 87? Yeah, he can get the job done if a starting player is having trouble, or if you just want to give him a shot one game.

Taj Gibson

Gibson is a player who can help you out on both sides of the ball with his 84 block rating, 90 inside scoring rating, and 90 offensive rebounding rating. For some players who are starting an Association, you might already have a power forward / center you feel confident with. His overall rating might only be a 77 -- but don't let that fool you -- Gibson is the best role player at those two positions. He is also great with the hook shot or posting up defenders with his strength and his 84 close shooting rating.

Antawn Jamison

The days of being a star player is a thing of the past for Jamison. He still has a respectable 83 offensive rebound rating and an 80 3-point rating, but he's no longer a player who can carry a team on his back. He can, however, still do the job of getting those crucial rebounds and hitting a big shot on occasions. Just don't expect him to help you win several games in-a-row during your Association. Letting him play about 20%-25% of the time will help with rebounding and if you enjoy the pick & roll, Jamison can run that play with ease.

Ray Allen

Ray Allen, much like Antawn Jamison, has passed his prime as a player who will start and get the majority of minutes at shooting guard. In NBA 2K13, Allen, still has a very good 91 3-point rating. In the cases where you're down three and you need to hit one, Allen is definitely the player who can be subbed in for that. His overall rating might be down from past iterations (79), but he can still provide the necessary spark for your team in those close Association mode games.

Iman Shumpert

Shumpert is not at the level of being a star point guard in the NBA 2K series, but he's darn close. Need a steal to help you get back in the game? With his 89 steal rating, Shumpert is the guy to do just that. He's also not half bad on the offensive end with a 76 3-point rating, and an 80 inside scoring rating. Also, don't expect him to lose the ball too much due to his 84 handling rating. If your starting point guard needs the rest, Shumpert is the perfect player to put in.

Jason Terry

Terry has made a career out of being a dependable role player. In NBA 2K13, that's no different (77 overall). Although he is far from being the best role player, Terry still has the skills With his ability to play shooting guard, and even point guard if need be, Terry can help you go on a run or hit that spot up jump shot, with his 85 3-point rating. Not only that, but he does still posses the speed to blow past certain defenders and finish off the play with his 87 close shooting rating.

You might know someone who you think is a better role player. If so, let us know in the comments below.

NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 ron_bato @ 10/22/12 09:24 PM
I got Jamison, Haslem and Jet on my Online Association and they have been huge for me especially with Rondo's dimer sig skill. Pick and pop or drive and dish with Rajon is a huge part of my gameplan. Pretty good list here.

# 42 Mauer4MVP @ 10/23/12 12:31 PM
I will go with a player that may be overlooked. Chase Budinger. He is 6'7 and can drive and he is absolutely deadly from 3pt.

# 43 eF 5ive @ 10/23/12 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauer4MVP
I will go with a player that may be overlooked. Chase Budinger. He is 6'7 and can drive and he is absolutely deadly from 3pt.
Ive coined him cheese budinger since hes been in 2k. Cats hate when i light it up with him. I just reply: "he dunked over diddy, bro"

# 44 joedion247 @ 10/23/12 02:00 PM
Marshon Brooks can be a deadly scorer when subbed in. also, Tony Wroten Jr from memphis. 6'5 combo guard who can put up points at any moment

# 45 Rewmac @ 10/25/12 07:19 AM
I for one use JR Smith or at least I would. For the Mavericks team I use tracy McGrady with modifications so he is like himself at the end of his prime.

# 46 taek @ 10/25/12 06:23 PM
I'm surprised Kahwi Leonard and Manimal aren't on the list, those guys are fantastic roleplayers on rookie contracts with high upside.

# 47 youngdutch13 @ 10/26/12 02:48 PM
Problem is getting these players lol. Who could I trade on Cavs for Harden... heck Harden would be our star player lol forget about role player

# 48 LoSoisNiCEx414 @ 10/26/12 03:20 PM
J.Bayless from Griz
Williams from Wolves (dunks everything)
Brewer,Chandler,Randolf Nuggets
A lot of rookies as well

# 49 StraightBaylien @ 10/26/12 03:53 PM
List is terrible. These aren't role players... these are sixth men...

It should go

Starters
Sixth Man
Role Players
Bench Warmers....

Sixth man... James Harden... Role player... Eric Maynor.

Feel me?

# 50 TBr0wn14 @ 11/01/12 11:42 PM
I love ray allen cause his release is so fast.

# 51 acolbert @ 11/02/12 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBr0wn14
I love ray allen cause his release is so fast.
Is he satisfied with coming off the bench though? He signed to the Jazz in my association

# 52 GR5Noles @ 11/14/12 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMartin
Harden not a high scoring threat? He can easily go 20ppg (if it wasn't for Westbrook/KD), 16ppg is still good enough like he did previous season.

Also, what position does Shumpert play? PG or SG, in my opinion he's a SG.
Shumpert is definitely a shooting guard. D'Antoni tried to play him at the 1 a little bit last year, and it didn''t really work out very well. Shump isn't a distributor per say. He might be able to develop into a good point guard, but right now, he's definitely a 2

# 53 jake r smith @ 11/26/14 12:17 AM
james harden should be a starter

# 54 nickthemajin @ 12/04/14 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake r smith
james harden should be a starter
The last post before yours was 2012

# 55 hghgfhg @ 12/06/14 04:52 AM
Is Harden considered a role player because he comes off the bench?

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.