Home
Feature Article
Top Five NCAA Football 12 Slider Sets

Operation Sports users are known all over the web for the slider sets they make every year for sports games. In this piece, we're gonna focus on some of the best slider sets available for NCAA Football 12.

1) Oraeon1224's Statistics and Sliders NCAA12 set - Last updated 9/14/2011

I love Oraeon1224's NCAA sliders and have used them for NCAA 11 and NCAA 12. The most appealing thing about this slider set is that it attempts to use real world statistics and averages to come up with a set of sliders, while also taking gameplay issues into account. Oraeon writes that All-American with default speed is the only way you can get a balanced game without artificial boosts or vice versa for the AI. His recommended quarter length of 9-11 minutes hits a sweet spot for me as well. 

Some of the things his sliders claim to improve are wide receiver drops, improved CPU ball carrier AI, second level blocking in the run game and more realistic broken tackle ratios. His idea regarding penalties is to allow one roughing the passer penalty to account for the fact that Pass Interference is never called in NCAA Football 12. This set is both fun and gives realistic results. I recommend everyone give these a shot.

2) mkharsh33's Varsity / Slow Speed / 8 Min set - Last updated 9/12/11 (No Patch) & 9/9/2011(with Patch)

I don't know what it is about mkharsh33, but he makes good quality sliders for pretty much every sports game he plays. His MLB 2K11 sliders are great, he has a very good set out for NBA 2K11 and his NCAA 12 sliders are really good, too. 

There are two slider sets here, and both call for the Slow speed setting to be used and for an increase to Player Speed Threshold. 

One set is for playing without any of the game play patches that have been released by the NCAA development team. Many feel that these patches have reduced the quality of the game significantly. If you are among those, than I'd definitely give these a try. Mkharsh33 recommends a few "house rules" for his No Patch setup. Auto Sprint and Auto Strafe are to be ON, and Player Speed Threshold is at 85. Home Field advantage is to be turned off, and he provides an optional conservative game plan too.

Using his set made for users who play with the patches, the Player Speed Threshold increases to 100. Auto Sprint and Auto Strafe are still ON, and Home Field Advantage is set to OFF. Mkharsh33 also provides Sub In/Sub Out settings for both slider sets.

Many seasoned NCAA Football players will scoff at the notion of playing on Varsity level. But if you try it with mkharsh33's sliders, you just might find yourself singing a different tune.

3) Sydeburnz's HEISMAN Dynasty Coaching Sliders (COACH vs CPU) set -Last updated 9/30/2011

Sydeburnz gives OS user 'SECElite3' credit for the basis of these, so I will do the same. 'SecElite3' has made both Heisman level and All American level sliders are both are worth a look.

The difference with this set is that it's for those that like to play Coach Mode. If you prefer to call the plays and leave the stick skills to others, you will find a really good experience with these sliders. I have always struggled to play NCAA Football on Heisman level, so a Coach Mode setup without the requirements of Heisman level stick skills is something I can appreciate. 

These sliders call for a Speed Threshold at 0 and a Slow speed setting. The 9 minute quarter length is a really good amount for my limited time to play the game. When playing on Heisman level, you do have to accept that some things aren't going to seem fair. It's the nature of the highest skill setting. I will say however, that calling a great game and winning on Heisman level with these sliders is a very satisfying experience. 

On the Field Volume settings are included with this set to add to immersion and I feel like the lack of commentators does give you a feeling closer to being on the field as a coach. Penalties and sub sliders are also included. 

If you're like me and your stick skills aren't quite up to par on Heisman level, than give these sliders a shot.[/b]

4) Strategy Over Skillz All-American Sliders posted by NDAlum - Last Updated 10/9/2011

This set of sliders is a really good option for just about everyone playing on All-American level. These call for Slow speed, 8 minute quarters, and a Player Speed Threshold of 0. Home Field advantage and Ice the Kicker are set to ON.

NDAlum has also added some additional tweaks he recommends such as creating custom playbooks for the CPU and removing plays that don't work on offense and defense. All of us who play NCAA Football 12 know about these plays, like 'Four Verts' on offense and the 'Engage 8' on defense. The CPU AI simply isn't good enough to utilize these plays intelligently. By removing these plays, you get a much more competent opponent. 

This set is so well balanced I feel like I can recommend these to anyone. The game plays great with the tweaks from this set and encourages smart user play calling as well.

5) Jistics NCAA Football 12 All American Sliders - Last Updated 8/1/2011

How could I make my list of Operation Sports' top sliders without including Jistic's set for NCAA Football 12? Jistic is well known among the hardcore slider guys for his past work across many, many sports games. For NCAA Football 12, Jistic took a minimalist approach to his slider set. Instead of tweaking and re-tweaking, he just posted the set the he uses, and to no one's surprise it is very popular on the forums. 

Jistic uses a Speed Threshold of 65, which is a bit different from most sets available on the forums. He calls for All-American level, 9 minute quarters and Slow speed.

It hasn't seen a single major revision through three patches, tuner updates and other discoveries about the way NCAA Football handles ratings. That is kind of remarkable considering the nature of sliders. I don't know what it is, but these just work. They really help in getting a fun game of football out of NCAA Football 12

Final Thoughts 

The five sets I've listed here have given me the best experiences to date with NCAA 12 and I can safely recommend all of these to everyone. The best thing about this list is that it covers all types of players, Varsity, All-American, Heisman and Coach Mode. 

The set that I find myself using for my offline dynasty is Oraeon1124's. They just feel right. They have given me the kind of experience that I enjoy inNCAA Football, both last year and this year. Slider sets are very much about "feel" and can't be judged on just a handful of games. The sliders that one player loves, another player hates. 

I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who can take major issue with any of the slider sets listed. I would absolutely use any of the sets on this list without hesitation. 

What do you think OS? Chime in with your favorite slider sets for NCAA Football 12.

NCAA Football 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 carnalnirvana @ 05/31/12 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
If you also take the time (which sucks) and create CPB's for the opponent where you remove the garbage plays...it also makes a difference.

Stupid playcalling KILLS CPU drives quite often with regular playbooks. I eliminated almost all designed QB runs and no longer let teams run the option (I just couldn't get it to flow right).

Then on defense I eliminated the easily exploited defenses (cover 2 zones and all out blitzes) by giving the CPU CPB's.

When the CPU doesn't kill their own drives, they can be nasty. My next game is at home vs #5 Alabama who is probably the most talented team in the country.

how do you assign them a playbook, i have been trying but it always show up as default in play now games...

thx

# 42 mkharsh33 @ 06/01/12 11:53 PM
Very humbled by the props for my slider set. Sadly, the patch killed Varsity level. I must also give thanks to Playmakers - it was his prompting that led me to the Varsity level, and I worked hard to find a set that was both challenging and fair. I'm using DJ's All American set - highly recommend them!!

# 43 Playmakers @ 06/03/12 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
Very humbled by the props for my slider set. Sadly, the patch killed Varsity level. I must also give thanks to Playmakers - it was his prompting that led me to the Varsity level, and I worked hard to find a set that was both challenging and fair. I'm using DJ's All American set - highly recommend them!!
That's good ol EA for you....

Now days it's best that you try to avoid patches because they usually end up just breaking the game more than they help the game.

I skipped creating sliders last year in NCAA 13 and this year i just might do the same again because sliders are starting to become a headache for me.

It's a shame to because i think that level is the most underated level in the game if you nail the sliders to give SIM Results.

# 44 jahswill @ 06/03/12 04:09 PM
I've tried all these sliders and at the end of the day, the speed threshold at 0 makes the game a lot easier! Increase the speed threshold to about 65, and you are going to have to play a perfect game. Based on Oraeon's threshold testing, 65 gave the most realistic speed representation. Try any set with threshold at 65 and you won't be blowing the CPU out. I guarantee! As a matter of fact, I'm convinced that the speed threshold is the glue that holds EA games together.

# 45 Jarodd21 @ 06/03/12 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahswill
I've tried all these sliders and at the end of the day, the speed threshold at 0 makes the game a lot easier! Increase the speed threshold to about 65, and you are going to have to play a perfect game. Based on Oraeon's threshold testing, 65 gave the most realistic speed representation. Try any set with threshold at 65 and you won't be blowing the CPU out. I guarantee! As a matter of fact, I'm convinced that the speed threshold is the glue that holds EA games together.
Try my black set out on Heisman with the threshold at 0 and you won't be blowing out good teams.. You'll still blow out low rated teams if you are that good of a player but A-rated teams are tough to beat if you are the type of player who plays the game straight up with no cheesy tactics. Even the B-rated teams will give you a tough time sometimes..

# 46 jahswill @ 06/03/12 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarodd21
Try my black set out on Heisman with the threshold at 0 and you won't be blowing out good teams.. You'll still blow out low rated teams if you are that good of a player but A-rated teams are tough to beat if you are the type of player who plays the game straight up with no cheesy tactics. Even the B-rated teams will give you a tough time sometimes..
I have tried your black set, they are very competitive. What I'm saying is you don't need to give the CPU such huge advantages in the sliders if you just up the speed threshold. Try your black set with speed threshold at 65, and report back your findings.

# 47 Playmakers @ 06/03/12 06:10 PM
Quote:
I think the speed threshold is only tied into the sliders as far player speed seperation on the field.

In terms of AI awareness, CPU play call logic and Team/Player tendencies the threshold sliders has no bearing on those things.

No matter how much we test sliders and go into practice mode to judge player speed over 40 yards the bottom line is EA has to step up their game on the field in order to capture the things outside of speed/player seperation that determines games.

They need to dig deeper into their own ratings and player/team tendencies otherwise IMO the sliders are becoming redundant in this series because all CPU teams will play the same no matter what on the field.

I've been stressing this for the last 3-4 years now....the basic 6-8 gameplay sliders they release every year with this series is played out now.

They need to add additional sliders that factor into both gameplay an team play much like like NBA 2K and MLB The Show.

Otherwise we only playing against the same CPU AI every single game and it doesn't matter if it's Michigan or Eastern Michigan the AI players will still all react and the do the same things.

# 48 Jarodd21 @ 06/03/12 06:21 PM
Quote:
I have tried your black set, they are very competitive. What I'm saying is you don't need to give the CPU such huge advantages in the sliders if you just up the speed threshold. Try your black set with speed threshold at 65, and report back your findings.
I hear what you saying but I'm not a fan of making slower players become affective in running down faster players.. With how I have my sliders set up reaction and awareness plays a big factor in the CPU defenders pursuit angles and tackling when the USER is in open space.. Acceleration also plays a big factor in slower players walking down faster players in an angle or a 10 yard radius(and it has happen plenty of times) but if that faster player catches full speed he shouldn't be walked down by a player much slower then him and I believe that would happen alot with the threshold at 65.. I saw alot of that with the threshold at 50.. That's why I rather fix the AIs issues through sliders the best way I can so they can match up with my skill level..

# 49 jahswill @ 06/03/12 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarodd21
I hear what you saying but I'm not a fan of making slower players become affective in running down faster players.. With how I have my sliders set up reaction and awareness plays a big factor in the CPU defenders pursuit angles and tackling when the USER is in open space.. Acceleration also plays a big factor in slower players walking down faster players in an angle or a 10 yard radius(and it has happen plenty of times) but if that faster player catches full speed he shouldn't be walked down by a player much slower then him and I believe that would happen alot with the threshold at 65.. I saw alot of that with the threshold at 50.. That's why I rather fix the AIs issues through sliders the best way I can so they can match up with my skill level..
I agree with what you and playmakers have stated. I'm simply saying if it's about making the CPU more competitive then the threshold will do it. I think your sliders are competitive but not necessarily realistic. I can win with them by the way, but I hate seeing very low rated linemen dominate more superior linemen. I played DE in college and I know the importance of having an advantage in the trenches. If the Oline doesn't block then the offense isnt going anywhere. If the Dline doesnt get off blocks then it's oing to be long day for the D. Superior teams have superior linemen. The skill positions are pretty even at smaller schools. It's the boys in the trenches that make the difference!

# 50 jahswill @ 06/03/12 08:10 PM
I really think the reason SEC's sliders were so popular is that his Oline and Dline play was solid. A LB can run with a receiver for a decent amount of yards, but 0 threshold creates a unrealistic separation in my opinion. I've played with 0 threshold for the last 10 months. I just recently tried out Jistics theory of 65, along with Oreaon's speed testing. Higher threshold really makes the other ratings have a greater importance.

# 51 Jarodd21 @ 06/03/12 08:25 PM
Quote:
I agree with what you and playmakers have stated. I'm simply saying if it's about making the CPU more competitive then the threshold will do it. I think your sliders are competitive but not necessarily realistic. I can win with them by the way, but I hate seeing very low rated linemen dominate more superior linemen. I played DE in college and I know the importance of having an advantage in the trenches. If the Oline doesn't block then the offense isnt going anywhere. If the Dline doesnt get off blocks then it's oing to be long day for the D. Superior teams have superior linemen. The skill positions are pretty even at smaller schools. It's the boys in the trenches that make the difference!
Some areas you have to give the CPU a boost just for them to be competitive(For me)... There's just too many flaws on the game. The Oline and Dline interaction is just bad along with the CPUs pass blocking being a little overpowered on Heisman but I was still leading the country with sacks by a WIDE margin so I had to raise the CPUs pass block like that just to tone down the stupid sacks the AI gives up because those dumb sacks killed alot of drives for them. If I had the pass blocking any lower just to make the battle in the trenches look a little better I would continue to easily win all the time which is boring for me so I rather get the stats corrected. The threshold wouldn't stop the dumb sacks the AI gives up..

But like I said earliar I see slower LBs make plays in space against faster players all the time with the threshold at 0.. Acceleration, and awareness plays a big part in that combined with how I have my sliders set up with the rush defense and tackling...

# 52 NDAlum @ 06/03/12 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnirvana
how do you assign them a playbook, i have been trying but it always show up as default in play now games...

thx
You need to use two controllers

# 53 cparrish @ 06/04/12 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
You need to use two controllers
What about for offline dynasty and online dynasty games?

# 54 NDAlum @ 06/04/12 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cparrish
What about for offline dynasty and online dynasty games?
Offline dynasty: I start up the game like I would playing head to head vs a person. One controller on each side

After the coin toss I go to team select and put the controller in the middle.

Online: didn't touch it this year and I assume it wouldn't work

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.