Home
Feature Article
NHL 13: Demo Impressions Roundtable

Glenn Wigmore: Overall, I'm liking the change in pace to the action of NHL 13. I think the power skating provides the perfect risk-reward aspect needed within the game, as you have to sacrifice turning radius and control for sheer speed. This will be especially apparent in online competition. I'm finding that there is more inertia in how the players move, as demonstrated by the gliding after a speed boost and the movement of the players on defense. Passing and shooting seem a bit less accurate, which is a good thing, and you'll see more missed nets, bobbled and batted pucks, and just a bit more randomness.

I'm also finding the poke-check to be much more deliberate, as the animation seems slower but more accurate, which I think is a fair balance. The addition of the two-handed puck chop is a smart idea, as it allows you to swipe the puck to a defensive partner when racing for the puck on defense (or on the forecheck, for that matter).

The range of movement provided by the revised back-skating feature is indeed fun, but I think that there could be plenty of room for exploits. We'll have to see how it handles human competition. I have found that the one-timers and angled slappers of last year's game aren't nearly as effective, and the goalies have definitely been buffed to stop more challenging shots (with added save animations, aggressiveness and quickness).

I'd also like to commend the revised presentation, as the game now includes the net camera for certain highlights, which is a welcome addition, as well as more dynamic movement of the players after they go to the bench, skate around the ice, etc. The replay packages have also been altered slightly, with new camera angles and different focus points (Brodeur letting in three goals, for instance).

As always, I remain wary of certain exploits against the AI as well as online, but the new pace and added variety is sitting well with me so far.

Kelvin Mak: So far so good.

First and foremost, the new skating engine is a definite success. And the thing about it is that the engine doesn't just change the way a player skates, it also sets off a chain reaction that affects a whole slew of other gameplay elements-- most of them in a positive fashion.

In and of itself, the new skating engine looks, and more importantly, plays great. The players feel weighted, and they behave in a much more realistic manner. No longer will they (especially fourth line scrubs) be be able to turn sharply or pull off intricate dekes at full speed. The biggest benefit from the new skating engine is that the game becomes more methodical as a result. You have to put more thought into your play and think ahead as, unlike previous years, you can't recover as quickly when you get caught out of position, and offensively you can't just blindly fly down the wing and cut inside at the last minute with a fancy-schmancy deke. In fact, it was great to see my player lose the puck as I tried to zig and zag at full speed, or having to actually stay in the passing/shooting lanes and, you know, play defense. And because of all that, it looks like a team's identity will be a lot more pronounced. Offensive teams with a heavy forecheck will, no matter what, be exposed a few times during a game, while defensive teams will have to be even more patient. Compared to the NHLs of previous years, where in hindsight it seemed like you can have it both ways, this year that doesn't look possible.

In other areas, like Glenn I've noticed more instances of missed passes and shots. In general, the puck feels looser, and that's great. However, the passes, especially hard ones, still "stick" too much upon reception for my liking, so here's hoping that some slider tweaks in the full game can clear that up. Sticks, especially with with the new stick swat, are more active, and I've seen more deflected passes/shots than in NHL 12. Meanwhile, the goaltending-- backskating cheese goals aside-- also look improved, both cosmetically and practically. The new range of animations look pretty, and the goalies anticipate plays a lot better than in previous years.

The one negative that stands out from the demo is the AI. Yes, they've definitely been improved, but it's still a bit rough around the edges. AI teammates will try to move a little more down low, but the standing around and the puck watching isn't totally gone yet. It means that, often, cycling the puck is still more arduous and risky than it should be, and on numerous occasions I've found myself choosing to take a low percentage shot from a bad angle instead. On defense, while the CPU's gap control has been improved on the whole-- the teams are definitely more aware than in previous years-- it's perhaps still not as hard as it should be to gain the zone. Again, comparatively speaking, these issues have been improved upon from NHL 12, just not as much as I had hoped.

Overall, a lot more positives than negative. After the last couple of years' releases where it seemed like just a tweak here and there, this year's new skating engine is the big one we've been looking forward to.

Jayson Young: Aside from the goofy automated push-puck feature, NHL 13's redone skating engine feels like an accurate representation of Canada's pastime. Unfortunately, upping the skating realism has further exposed many of the series' long-running AI deficiencies. Skating around the CPU defense has historically been too easy in EA's NHL games, but it now feels easier than ever since one false move -- or even a lack of movement -- can leave AI defenders completely out of position.

Throughout the NHL 13 demo, the CPU defense will step up at inappropriate times or simply stand flatfooted while the other team's offense breaks up ice, leading to excessive breakaways and odd-man rushes. Additionally, the CPU still makes no effort to protect its own blue line, allowing skaters to enter the offensive zone freely. The only reason I'm not lighting up the scoreboard in this demo is the array of offensive tweaks like increased pass reception difficulty, decreased shooting accuracy for off-balance shots and slower skating speed while deking. Collectively, these welcome gameplay additions should force online players into a more simulation brand of hockey and less of the outlandish one-on-one dekes and laser-like one timers that have dominated online play since the inception of the skill stick in NHL 07.

However, I fear that the new backwards skating mechanic will become a popular online exploit in the offensive zone, as the goaltending AI seems perplexed whenever the user skates in reverse. There's already a money goal in this demo where the player approaches the net holding down the left trigger then quickly spins around to fire a wrist shot into the open net. EA Canada plans to address back skating exploits in their launch-day tuner update, but still, I can't shake the feeling that NHL 13's netminders are going to have major trouble adapting to the offense's new skating abilities.

Offline loyalists will appreciate NHL 13's expanded team strategy settings, which successfully capture the playing personalities of the two demo teams. When controlled by the AI, Los Angeles tend to dump the puck into corners and behind the net to start their offense, while New Jersey prefer to enter the offensive zone with possession, even to the point that they will circle around the neutral zone and make lateral passes to ensure they are crossing the blue line with the puck under control.

As for individual goalie tendencies, I've yet to see Jonathan Quick leave his crease, while Martin Brodeur fearlessly skates out into open ice to play loose pucks to his teammates. All goaltenders have access to a variety of new diving save animations, which unfortunately, seem excessive and overpowered in this build. While playing the Hockey Ultimate Team mode, I watched a no-name, 70-overall goalie from the AHL make multiple cross-body diving saves like he was Tim Thomas in Vezina form.

While it's disappointing to see series sore spots like board play and faceoffs remain untouched, I think for the first time this generation, offline players will be getting an EA hockey game that provides good variety on a game-to-game basis. There's still room for EA Canada to better distinguish skaters' individual skill sets, but seeing teams collectively utilizing unique gameplans is a huge step forward for a franchise that has made few meaningful changes since 2K Sports left the ice.

NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 savoie2006 @ 08/24/12 03:41 PM
Agreed on ALL accounts.

# 2 addybojangles @ 08/24/12 03:58 PM
Incredibly impressed with this demo. Then again, I've liked every version since it's current console iterations, so take that for what it's worth...

I think the true performance skating fundamentally changes the game more than anything since the shot stick.

# 3 Retropyro @ 08/24/12 04:00 PM
I'd like to know what settings each person used for the round table.

# 4 jsquigg @ 08/24/12 04:11 PM
I agree with most of the impressions, but faceoffs weren't untouched. The controls are the same, but there is much more variety in where the puck ends up.

# 5 geisterhome @ 08/24/12 06:02 PM
agree on most..

# 6 TreyIM2 @ 08/24/12 06:17 PM
I think I'm sold on this game, FINALLY, after playing the demo. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the new skating engine, being able to skate in reverse, the challenge of scoring. This will be my first NHL since PS1 days. Sheesh.

# 7 jyoung @ 08/24/12 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retropyro
I'd like to know what settings each person used for the round table.
I can't speak for Kelvin or Glenn, but so far I've tried all of these settings combinations:

Allstar -- default, normal, hardcore
Superstar -- default, normal, hardcore

I like Allstar hardcore the best out of everything I've tried.

# 8 Retropyro @ 08/24/12 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
I can't speak for Kelvin or Glenn, but so far I've tried all of these settings combinations:

Allstar -- default, normal, hardcore
Superstar -- default, normal, hardcore

I like Allstar hardcore the best out of everything I've tried.
Yep, so far I think Allstar hardcore gives the best game.

# 9 13whitebread @ 08/24/12 11:53 PM
The play by play needs someone else to immerse you in the experience not this year but hopefully next year.

# 10 Vikes1 @ 08/25/12 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retropyro
Yep, so far I think Allstar hardcore gives the best game.
I'm pretty sure All-Star hardcore is where I'll be playing too.

AS/HC is giving me all the challenge I can handle.

# 11 BobSacamano @ 08/25/12 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balcobomber25
The new skating system is amazing but at the end of the day this is still the same game with the same problems. The character models are still a mess, the commentary offers nothing new, the fighting system not only is not realistic in any way, it is not fun.

I just can't justify spending $60 for the same guy with a new skating system.
Would you have spent $60 on a game with the same skating engine but with new character models, commentary, and fighting engine? I sure as hell wouldn't have.

Those things do not affect gameplay in the slightest (unless you like to fight, I guess), but the skating engine and improved AI most definitely does. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

# 12 THE YAMA @ 08/25/12 11:43 AM
I was ultimately pleased with the demo. Actually may sell me on getting the game this year. The only problem is, FIFA comes out just 2 weeks after.

# 13 woody2goody @ 08/25/12 12:05 PM
If anything, the skating system is THE reason to buy a new hockey game, after all it is the main gameplay feature effectively in any hockey game.

It would be like introducing a new running mechanic in Pro Evo or FIFA, it would change the game completely.

# 14 gosensgo101 @ 08/26/12 12:02 AM
I miss my vision control. Rimming the puck around the boards from behind the net is now damn near impossible.

# 15 jonapaloma @ 08/26/12 10:17 AM
I thought it was a good feature to. I cant understand why they removed it. It gonna be harder to setup in the offensive zone :S And also put your back against the goal when you defend. I dont see how. Any ideas?

# 16 Eski33 @ 08/26/12 11:28 AM
NHL is a top tier franchise that continues to innovate. This year's game is no different. Loving it.

# 17 jwilphl @ 08/26/12 08:49 PM
I like the new skating engine; this is something EA football games need badly (how about True Performance Running). It felt tremendously different from NHL '12. The game looks a ton different too, which I think is welcome since the game has looked exactly the same since '08.

Something did feel off to me graphically, but I don't know how to explain it. I imagine it could be demo compression. The details ought to look better in the final version. Also the goalie play looked better in some instances and a little too overpowered in others (see one save where Brodeur had god-like reflexes).

The presentation definitely needs more work. They made a few nice changes from '12 in that I didn't see any repeat cutscenes and some of the weird freeze transition issues appeared to be gone. There isn't much of a TV-style going on, though, which is a recurring problem in all EA titles. It's been that way forever so I don't know why I keep expecting changes.

Clement and Thorne are fine, but I think they've probably worn out their welcome. Time to move in two new commentators entirely or just add another team; to me the latter is the better option.

Can't comment on much else but I do like what I've seen. Still not sold on buying, though; will probably wait until the system is a bit more refined and still hoping they make presentation upgrades.

# 18 Bleak5170 @ 08/27/12 07:19 AM
Agree with pretty much everything. The backwards skating, while a really cool addition, is going to be abused like crazy online. And I know a lot of people don't care about human vs. CPU play. but the A.I. deficiencies are definitely a concern.

# 19 Qb @ 08/27/12 11:01 AM
For the most part, I think the writers' impressions are right on. However, one nitpick is boardplay is not "untouched" (at least not completely). I'm guessing Jayson was referring to the mechanics of the boardplay system, which I agree could use an update.

But it is much harder to dig the puck out with a pokecheck, making it somewhat more effective to grind it out behind the net. In NHL12, it was almost automatic that the first poke would retrieve the puck, especially from the AI. I saw what looked like some new animations, such as the pinned player shrugging off the defender as he went for the poke. And perhaps I'm crazy, but I swear I saw a few small bumps into the boards when I went to pin on a race to puck, as opposed to the suction pin of the past. It also seems like player ratings (and maybe size) are more important, as the Kings are tough down low with Brown, Penner, Richards, King, Nolan, etc.

Overall, I feel they took some steps to balance the current boardplay system. There are still some issues that likely won't improve without a total revamp, but it appears it might be more useful against the CPU. As with everything taken from the demo, we'll see how it plays out in the jungle of OTP.

# 20 mothman0 @ 08/28/12 12:28 AM
How do you do the 2-handed chop? I've tried and tried and all I can do with the poke check is the basic poke check, or sweep.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.