Home
Feature Article
OS Roundtable: NFL Divisional Round Playoffs Prediction Time

Dustin Toms: I've lived in Washington State my entire life, and I've experienced the 12th man throughout multiple generations of the Seahawks. I've heard the noise at the Kingdome as a child, and it was just too loud; I saw what happens to the Dallas Cowboys when they play on the old UW Husky field; I saw Colin Kaepernick lose his mind during the Week 2 showdown. It gets so loud that you honestly stop a think for a second if you're going deaf. The fans get so lost in the atmosphere that they're screaming more than watching. It's what's great about the Pacific Northwest, because no matter what, these fans are backing their team. Win or lose, Kingdome or CenturyLink, Seattle has the best home-field advantage in the NFL. Don't expect a repeat of Arizona, because it's not happening twice in one season. So yeah, my one prediction I feel safe about making is that the 12th Man will be louder than ever, and Drew Brees is going to go home early once again.

As for the other games: I don't see Denver falling to San Diego again, somehow Tom Brady will lead the Pats on a game-winning drive with less than a minute remaining, and Kaepernick will make his very unwelcome return to CenturyLink Field after he out-duels (yeah, it'll be an offensive showdown) an inexperienced Cam Newton.

Matthew Coe: New Orleans will play better than they did earlier this season against Seattle, but it won't be nearly enough. Playing in Seattle (yes it really matters) and being out of the Super Dome (yes this matters too) is going to be too much for the Saints.

In the other NFC playoff game, I live in North Carolina and I've followed the Panthers since the franchise was introduced to the NFL in 1995. This team feels more like the 1997 Kerry Collins led playoff team and less like the Superbowl team from 2003. That said, I've got a feeling about this game. Cam Newton loves the big stage and the fans here have been waiting for a reason to believe. I really feel that the Panthers will win and go on to face Seattle in the NFC Championship.

In the AFC how do you pick against Denver? San Diego had a great game plan and ran all over Cincinnati and stumped Andy Dalton. Peyton Manning won't be stumped by that defense again. Denver gets it done here.

The Colts/Pats matchup is the biggest toss-up for me. The Colts won last week when I thought they were over-matched and I like this matchup for Indy. I'm gonna go with the upset here and I think we see the Colts go to Denver for the AFC Championship.

Andre Harrison: Indianapolis @ New England: Last time this match-up took place, Patriots won by 4 possessions. This won't happen here. I expect a high scoring shoot-out by two very average defenses, but the Patriots run game I think will be the difference maker in a Patriots win.

San Diego @ Denver: I don't think Denver are getting caught out twice. San Diego is the in form team, but beating Denver at home is a stretch for anyone, and Peyton Manning's going to want revenge, especially with Wes Welker back in healthy. Expect another shootout, but Denver takes it.

New Orleans @ Seattle: Seattle' home field advantage is almost unbeatable, and I can't see the Saints winning on the road twice in a row. Legion of Boom to pick Brees off 3 times en route to the NFC Championship game.

San Francisco @ Carolina: This could be really close. Both teams very evenly matched here, but I like Carolina's defense a little bit more, and I think Cam Newton's going to relish this massive opportunity. Panthers to take the close one at home.

Chris Sanner: After my Chiefs' epic collapse last week, the NFL is dead to me. But for the rest of you, I'm sure there is plenty to look forward to. Let's face it, someone has to win the Super Bowl, and despite my highest dreams -- the Chiefs will probably never make one. Yes I'm a jaded fan, and here is my jaded take on this week in the playoffs.

On the AFC side of things, I fully expect the Patriots to win against Indy. I don't think that much magic resides with Andrew Luck's throwing shoulder, and an emotional epic comeback like that is hard to come back from. It'll probably be a bit higher scoring, but I like New England. On the same token, I think San Diego will have a tough time catching Denver again. I like the Broncos pretty comfortably this weekend.

We all don't want to admit it, but a lot of the NFC was decided a long time ago when Seattle basically challenged anyone in the conference to a game in CenturyLink Field at anytime. Seattle will win very comfortably to head into the NFC championship against San Francisco. I'm picking the 49ers because of the law of averages and I don't believe every home team is going to win this weekend, someone is going to have to lose and why not Carolina?

Madden NFL 25: We simulated all of this weekend's games in Madden NFL 25 and here is how it sees each game playing out...

Indianapolis at New England: Tom Brady has a solid game, but it is the New England defense picking off Andrew Luck three times which is the difference maker in this one. Patriots 27-7.

San Diego at Denver: Let's face it...Madden has always like Peyton Manning, so it was a surprise to me when the Phillip Rivers-led Chargers not only stayed close but came from behind to win on a last second field goal in Denver. The immovable force vs. the resisting object when it comes to Playoff time I suppose. Chargers 23-21.

New Orleans at Seattle: Even in Madden, the Seahawks enjoy a ridiculous home field advantage. That's what I'm going with at least as Russel Wilson went off in Madden while the Saints were held to under 150 yards of total offense. Seahawks 35-3.

San Francisco at Carolina: This was a fun game to watch, as the clock continually was running with both teams running the ball at will on one another. It was an old fashioned shootout with long, grind-it-out drives for each offense the entire game. At the end of the day, Cam Newton won the game with a 7 yard QB scramble with 2:15 to go in the game. Panthers 23-19.

Share your thoughts on this weekend's games in the comments below!

Madden NFL 25 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Steve_OS @ 01/10/14 11:18 AM
I'll go with...

Patriots over Colts
Chargers over Broncos
Seahawks over Saints (Gonna be closer than people think)
49ers over Panthers

# 2 pimpinpidgeon8 @ 01/10/14 11:30 AM
Seahawks over Saints
49ers over Panthers

Colts over Patriots
Broncos over Chargers

# 3 kaletore11 @ 01/10/14 11:34 AM
Damn, Madden doesn't like the Saints.

# 4 soonermagic88 @ 01/10/14 12:16 PM
Colts over Pats
Broncos over Chargers
Seahawks over Saints
Panthers over 49ers

# 5 AlexTabs @ 01/10/14 12:22 PM
Colts over Patriots
Broncos over Chargers
Panthers over 49ers (yea, i'm a diehard Packers fan)
SeaHawks over Saints

# 6 strife1013 @ 01/10/14 12:32 PM
Patriots over Colts
49ers over Panthers
Chargers over Broncos
Seahawks over Saints

# 7 ven0m43 @ 01/10/14 02:02 PM
Pats over Colts - could go either way
Seahawks over Saints
49ers over Panthers
Chargers over Broncos - everyone under estimates the Chargers. Both games this season were close, separated by a TD. The Chargers are playing their best football of the season right now and have always had Mannings number. This game will be very tight, but Rivers and the Chargers will beat Manning for the 3rd time in the playoffs, making him 0-3 against Rivers and co in the playoffs.

# 8 jhendricks316 @ 01/10/14 04:33 PM
Colts, Broncos, Panthers, Seahawks

# 9 kingcrf @ 01/10/14 05:13 PM
i have
chargers over broncos 27 24 manning throws int with 2 min left
patriots over colts 35-30
seahawks over saints 38-34
panthers over 49ers 20-17

# 10 JaymeeAwesome @ 01/10/14 06:11 PM
My wants:

Patriots
Chargers
Seahawks
49ers

Reality:

Patriots
Broncos
Seahawks
49ers

Super Bowl is Patriots vs Seahawks, with Seahawks winning it all.

# 11 FarFromRookie @ 01/10/14 11:38 PM
Chargers > Broncos
Panthers > 49ers
Colts > Patriots
Seahawks > Saints (thats the bucs fan in me talking)

# 12 JaymeeAwesome @ 01/11/14 11:57 AM
Just by reading the posts, I'm starting to feel like people just hate the Patriots and are not basing their choices on team talent.

# 13 HingleMcCringleberry @ 01/12/14 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymee13
Just by reading the posts, I'm starting to feel like people just hate the Patriots and are not basing their choices on team talent.
I'm just hoping I will get to see another Brady-Manning game before one of them retires. Either one of those teams could beat the Hawks, especially since they won't be in CenturyLink. It would be interesting to see how the Seahawks handle the explosiveness that the Broncos have on offense, and Bill Belichick is just Belichick...

# 14 ANDROMADA 1 @ 01/12/14 10:21 AM
Panthers

Broncos

# 15 JaymeeAwesome @ 01/13/14 02:29 PM
Dustin, Chris, and I are the only ones with the right predictions. I would love to see another thread discussing and simming the Conference Championship games.

# 16 Lukin4 @ 01/14/14 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymee13
Dustin, Chris, and I are the only ones with the right predictions. I would love to see another thread discussing and simming the Conference Championship games.
Great tips, and even greater avatar!!! :-)

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.