Home
Feature Article
MLB 14 The Show New Universal Profile, Stubs Deep Dive

Sony sent us this exclusive developer blog to talk about two major new features in their upcoming baseball title, MLB 14 The Show.

In MLB® 13 The Show™, we introduced Universal Profiles. Your Universal Profile displayed a breakdown of all your earned XP, online stats from past and present, recent play history, and Ratings in our competitive online modes.

This year, we’ve taken two more steps forward in creating a personal and universal sense of progression, regardless of your platform or play style.

STUBS – A Universal Currency that isn’t trying to get in your wallet.

In MLB® 14 The Show™, you won’t just earn XP while you play; you’ll also earn Stubs, a universal currency that can be cashed in for bonus resources like Road to the Show Training Points, Franchise Budget, and Diamond Dynasty Budget.

We must emphasize: we have in NO way restricted the quality experience you’re used to in favor of more micro-transactions. This is a universal currency focused on frequently rewarding our users for their accomplishments. As with previous years, you can elect to buy additional resources through the PlayStation Store, but we work hard to provide the best, most balanced experience, right out of the box.

Playing games is not the only way to earn Stubs. Keep an eye out for an in-depth look at our new game changing mode, Community Challenges, and how you can earn universal currency by creating challenges using the exact same in-game tool as the developers.

USER TENDENCIES– Tracking how you play and reproducing it

For MLB® 14 The Show™, we’ve upgraded the Universal Profile with a tendency tracking system that monitors and records each player’s unique play-style.

There are eight tendencies tracked for both hitting and pitching, and—in conjunction with the offensive and defensive tendencies—we track four general tendencies that highlight specific preferences, like a bias towards playing with a designated hitter. As you can see in the above screenshot, we have two sets of tracked data: result based tendencies and frequency based tendencies.

In the upper part of the Universal Profile tendency display, you will see the result based tendencies. These types of tendencies are primarily generated from in-game results: hits, home runs, strikeouts, walks, etc. The result based tendencies function just like the player attributes do. Meaning, if a player has a high power rating, you can expect them to hit more home runs than the average player. We also track the most commonly used difficulty for both hitting and pitching; this allows you, or opponents, to get a better sense as to how your tendencies were generated.

Frequency tendencies are less result based and, instead, are focused more on how often you like to perform certain in-game actions. Do you steal a lot of bases? Do you throw a lot of strikes? These are the types of questions that are easily answered with the frequency tendencies. Each tendency gives insight into how you play the game, and, as you continue to play games in MLB® 14 The Show™, your tendencies will update over time as your play-style evolves. In addition to seeing your own tendencies evolve over time, you can also view other players’ Universal Profiles to get scouting reports on opponents, or just check in to see what your friends doing.

Furthermore, the Universal Profile can copy your tendencies and apply them to an AI controlled version of yourself. In Online Franchise, players will be able to practice against your team via the schedule screen. In Diamond Dynasty, players will be able to challenge your team through the new Extra Innings feature. With AI controlled versions of our users, you’ll be able to compete against other players even when you’re away.

Simply put, MLB® 14 The Show™ brings an evolved Universal Profile that is smarter, more rewarding, and wants to build an army of clones that emulate your every move on its way to world domination.

Author - Ramone Russell

MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 ShowTyme15 @ 03/03/14 11:26 AM
Sounds good. Now everyone can officially put the UC/VC(2k14) debate to rest.

# 2 davis420 @ 03/03/14 11:30 AM
Can May get here already!

# 3 DeerSteak @ 03/03/14 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis420
Can May get here already!
Yes please!

# 4 eaw913 @ 03/03/14 11:45 AM
This definitely sounds promising. I think it will be great to check out your own profile just to see what you are doing right (or wrong). The Stubs feature sounds really nice as well. I like that I can do well on just an exhibition game or in my franchise and be able to apply it to RttS if I choose.

Great additions.

# 5 GlennN @ 03/03/14 12:24 PM
So the User Tendencies will be available for offline games you play too? That would be great! I only play offline franchise, and I'd love to have this available. (I also only play on the Vita, but I am presuming this is across all platforms)

# 6 eaw913 @ 03/03/14 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennN
So the User Tendencies will be available for offline games you play too? That would be great! I only play offline franchise, and I'd love to have this available. (I also only play on the Vita, but I am presuming this is across all platforms)
Yes it is for offline as well. One thing I am not sure of being offline is the ability to play against your own user profile for training. I think that will be an online only feature.

# 7 Dazraz @ 03/03/14 01:20 PM
2K should take a look at this game & learn how to implement in game purchases without p***ing everyone off!

# 8 JoeCoolMan24 @ 03/03/14 01:22 PM
Here is one concern I have....

"In Online Franchise, players will be able to practice against your team via the schedule screen."

Ok, but what about if you aren't available to PLAY your franchise game against your buddy in Online Franchise, can we elect to send our "clone user" out there to play against them on a regularly scheduled Franchise game? I don't mean "practice games", I mean regular season matchups.

# 9 cepwin @ 03/03/14 01:36 PM
Sounds great....both versions pre-ordered!

# 10 bcruise @ 03/03/14 01:44 PM
Glad there's a swing percentage tendency in the universal profile. It'll be fun seeing all the 95% and up on DD that will swing at anything you throw them. At least I won't get cussed out for throwing balls!

This definitely brings new depth to DD, being able to play against someone's tendencies without actually playing them. And I know it's not a new concept and that other games have had it, but I always like seeing things like this.

# 11 bcruise @ 03/03/14 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennN
Not for Vita.
Quote:
Universal Profile (PS3 & PS4) A new tendency-tracking system monitors and records gamers’ unique playing styles. Those patterns are stored in the Universal Profile, which can be viewed by anyone looking to get a quick scouting report on the player. The Universal Profile can also be subbed in in place of a CPU opponent in Diamond Dynasty and Online Franchise, making for more realistic head-to-head matchups when schedules prevent synchronous play.
The profile deals with DD and Online Franchise, neither of which exist on Vita.

# 12 godylla @ 03/03/14 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke_21
Neither idea presented in this blog interest me. Seems as though more resources should be used for better commentary, and animations.
Maybe they have committed more resources to those areas as well.

# 13 eaw913 @ 03/03/14 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke_21
Neither idea presented in this blog interest me. Seems as though more resources should be used for better commentary, and animations.
I completely forgot you're the only one buying this game.

Oh and they did add to those as well.

# 14 thaSLAB @ 03/03/14 02:01 PM
[FACE][PALM]

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

# 15 johnlnames @ 03/03/14 02:08 PM
I want to see ps4 gameplay already. Won't pre order it untill i do.

# 16 eaw913 @ 03/03/14 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCoolMan24
Here is one concern I have....

"In Online Franchise, players will be able to practice against your team via the schedule screen."

Ok, but what about if you aren't available to PLAY your franchise game against your buddy in Online Franchise, can we elect to send our "clone user" out there to play against them on a regularly scheduled Franchise game? I don't mean "practice games", I mean regular season matchups.
Yes, you can use it for regularly scheduled franchise or diamond dynasty games.

# 17 magoo1967 @ 03/03/14 02:15 PM
Wow, the ability to apply someone's Universal Profile to the AI (or your own!) seems really promising and innovative. I like the idea of earning Stubs as you play all different modes to be used as you wish too. Damn, I was being really good at suppressing my anticipation this year but these blogs are really amping it up a level. It's going to be a brutally long wait for that PS4 version. I really hope they offer one of those $10 upgrade deals to ease the torture. Funny how I thought this deal seemed silly when they offered it for some of the other PS3 titles last year, but it sure seems like an appealing concept to me now.

# 18 Sora_529 @ 03/03/14 02:32 PM
Good to know that the Universal Currency isn't ingrained into the game like in 2K14. I really wanted to like 2K14, but having to pay VC in order to perform basic functions like setting my lineup in GM Mode kinda ruined it for me. As long as the UC in The Show is used for RTTS points and the like, I'm completely cool with it.

Can't wait until May!

# 19 beemartin3 @ 03/03/14 02:50 PM
Just pre-ordered my copy for PS4, the associate said the street date is May 31st!! I was hoping that was the date-holder but she let me know it is the actual date..

# 20 ryanmc564 @ 03/03/14 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemartin3
Just pre-ordered my copy for PS4, the associate said the street date is May 31st!! I was hoping that was the date-holder but she let me know it is the actual date..
Hate to break it to you but she doesn't know squat the 31st is a Saturday I've never seen a game get released on a Saturday.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.