Home
Feature Article
MLB 14 The Show: The Best New Acquisitions (AL)

As the 2014 season kicks off, let's take a look at the best newcomers for each American League team. In this list you'll find the most important addition to every team in the American League, whether it be by trade or free agent signing. Now that you know what's in this piece, let's PLAY BALL!

AL EAST

Baltimore OriolesP Ubaldo Jimenez - The O's had a busy off-season, but no move was better than the signing of Ubaldo Jimenez. Jimenez finished 2013 as one of the best starters in the league and he still has Ace-quality stuff. Putting him at the top of a young rotation was a great move for 2014 and the future.

Boston Red SoxOF Grady Sizemore – I'm going a bit off the board here to pick Sizemore over A.J. Pierzynski and Edward Mujica. Sizemore last played in the bigs in 2011, but so far in Spring Training, he's done everything possible to become the starting center fielder for the defending World Champs. Sizemore has been called “Jacoby Ellsbury before there was a Jacoby Ellsbury” and the BoSox might have struck gold with Sizemore's 1 yr, $750,000 deal.

New York YankeesOF Carlos Beltran – While the Yankees made more splashy moves this off-season like Masahiro Tanaka and Brian McCann, no move was better than the signing of Carlos Beltran to a three-year deal. Moving to the AL and coming off of three healthy seasons, Beltran should be able to consistently produce for the Yanks even after his range in the outfield diminishes. Beltran makes up the heart of the 2014 Yankees batting order.

Tampa Bay RaysP Grant Balfour – Tampa Bay signed one of the most reliable relief pitchers in all of baseball and are only paying him $6 million per year, a bargain in today's salary landscape. Balfour replaces the inconsistent Fernando Rodney for 2014. The addition of Balfour helps to stabilize a Rays bullpen that has some question marks in 2014.

Toronto Blue JaysC Dioner Navarro – After one of the most exciting off-seasons in franchise history, the Blue Jays have been much quieter this year. So quiet in fact, that many fans are restless. The only real addition to the team is Navarro who figures to be an upgrade from last year's starter, J.P. Arencibia. Navarro brings veteran leadership, a solid eye at the plate, and an upgrade defensively behind the plate.

AL CENTRAL

Chicago White Sox1B Jose Abreu – The Chicago White Sox have had such a great off-season, I struggled to pick the best move they made. The addition of Adam Eaton gives the Sox a leadoff hitter under club control and the addition of Mark Davidson gives the club a future everyday third baseman. The team also added some great arms to the bullpen. It's Abreu however that has the most potential reward. Abreu comes over from Cuba as a power-hitting first baseman who will hopefully take over for Paul Konerko and continue a lineage the club has had at the position. With the recent success of Yoennis Cespedes and Yasiel Puig, Abreu projects to be the next impact Cuban hitter.

Cleveland IndiansP John Axford - Cleveland has had a very quiet off-season in 2014 and the best addition for this season seems to be closer John Axford. The Indians are hoping to get something closer to the dominant 2011 Axford instead of the Axford that has struggled recently. If Axford can be a solid closer for the Tribe, then the rest of that bullpen will be bolstered, as it allows everyone else to pitch in their slotted role.

Detroit Tigers2B Ian Kinsler – The Tigers acquired Kinsler at the cost of star slugger Prince Fielder. Some pundits applauded the move as it shed Fielder's massive contract. Others aren't so sure and worry that the move could hurt reigning MVP Miguel Cabrera. Either way the deal is done and Kinsler's acquisition along with the call up of top prospect Nick Castellanos allows Cabrera to move to first, seemingly sparing his body the grind of the hot corner. Time will tell how this trade works out, but Kinsler should improve Detroit's base running and defense up the middle.

Kansas City RoyalsOF Norichika Aoki – The Royals had another very good off-season adding Omar Infante and Jason Vargas. But no move was more important for KC than adding Aoki in a trade with the Brewers. Aoki gives the Royals a speedy leadoff hitter who plays both corners. His addition also allows Alex Gordon to drop down and hit in a run producing spot in the lineup, probably fifth. With shrewd moves like these, the Royals are primed to contend for a playoff Wild Card spot in 2014.

Minnesota TwinsP Ricky Nolasco – The free-agent signing of Ricky Nolasco was the biggest in franchise history at 4 years, $49 million. Nolasco automatically becomes the anchor of a pitching staff that was among the worst in Major League Baseball in 2013. Nolasco was a very good signing and the future looks bright for Minnesota. 2014 figures to be a struggle though, even with the addition of pitchers Phil Hughes and Nolasco.

AL WEST

Houston AstrosOF Dexter Fowler – Fowler was acquired in a trade with the Rockies and gives Houston an instant upgrade in the outfield, even if he suffers a bit moving from hitter friendly Coors Field. A solid defender with the speed to steal 25-plus bases, Fowler gives Houston a young player with upside under team control and a solid trade chip if necessary down the road.

Los Angeles AngelsP Hector Santiago – I'm going to go a bit off the board here again. Some may think that the addition of David Freeze or Raul Ibanez are better additions, but I think the addition of a solid starter to compliment C.J. Wilson and Jerad Weaver is more important. This team already has the hitting, with Pujols, Hamilton, and Trout. Pitching is a much bigger issue and while this off-season wasn't as splashy as last year, it may prove to be smarter. Santiago and top prospect Tyler Skaggs could both make the 2014 rotation, but it's Santiago, the lefty, who has had the better Spring Training.

Oakland AthleticsP Scott Kazmir – The Oakland A's have had yet another outstanding off-season. In my mind, this centers around two moves. The addition of 2012 & 2013 AL saves leader Jim Johnson and the addition of Scott Kazmir to replace Bartolo Colon. Kazmir represents a solid pitcher who had a resurgence last season in Cleveland and has earned a chance to come to Oakland and contribute to a contender. The bullpen may be the strongest in the AL, but making sure that there was no drop off in the starting rotation was as important as any move Oakland made.

Seattle Mariners2B Robinson Cano – Was there any doubt that the free-agent signing of the best second baseman in Major League Baseball would be the Mariners' top move in 2014? Cano brings his incredible bat and Gold Glove level defense to a Seattle club that was anemic on offense at last season. Cano is an upgrade in every possible way. The question going forward is whether Seattle can continue to add pieces to make this team a perennial contender.

Texas Rangers1B Prince Fielder – For all of the criticism that Fielder has received for his poor hitting in the playoffs (career .194 average), he is still one of the best hitters in baseball and the Rangers are a much better team by adding him. Fielder brings his left-handed slugging to a lineup that was already potent and becomes much more with his addition. Acquired in a trade for Ian Kinsler, we'll have to wait and see who “won” that deal, but for now both teams seem satisfied with their haul.

MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 analogdan @ 03/27/14 11:59 AM
Can't wait to watch Prince hit in front of Beltre

# 2 braves_94 @ 03/27/14 12:09 PM
But Jose Abreu won't even be on the White Sox out of the box...

# 3 goodguys @ 03/27/14 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by braves_94
But Jose Abreu won't even be on the White Sox out of the box...
I am saddened by this.

# 4 seasprite @ 03/27/14 01:12 PM
Cano to Seattle has made them my possible team to use for my single user franchise

# 5 JoeCoolMan24 @ 03/27/14 03:06 PM
I'll have to wait until the PS4 version of The Show to finally start dropping bomb with Jose Abreu. I'm assuming the OSFM version will be done by then.

# 6 ShowTyme15 @ 03/27/14 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCoolMan24
I'll have to wait until the PS4 version of The Show to finally start dropping bomb with Jose Abreu. I'm assuming the OSFM version will be done by then.
He may already be in the PS4 version by the time the game hits store shelves.

# 7 metsfan4life1 @ 03/27/14 03:39 PM
Shin Soo Choo going to the Texas Rangers. I like Choo. I've liked him for a few years. He's a mini version of Wright, but better OBP, worse in everything else.

# 8 metsfan4life1 @ 03/27/14 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogdan
Can't wait to watch Prince hit in front of Beltre
Belter is 2-3 years away from locking down a spot in Cooperstown. Great fielder and very very good hitter.

# 9 Ghost Of The Year @ 03/27/14 05:22 PM
I want to play a quick count season with the Hated Yanks, only because I already miss McCann.

# 10 braves_94 @ 03/27/14 09:47 PM
Would you rather have an aging McCann, or many more years of Freeman? McCann is like a pet you send to farm so he can enjoy his remaining years as a DH

# 11 bfindeisen @ 03/28/14 02:31 PM
David FREESE* and JERED* Weaver

# 12 RogueHominid @ 03/28/14 03:03 PM
I also really like the addition of Gentry to OAK. He brings excellent depth and balance to the OF.

# 13 SK8RAK3NROLL @ 03/28/14 04:49 PM
Seattle getting cano ... not sure there playoff team but maybe that could help them get another star or 2 in the next year or 2 .... gotta start somewhere.... WE see how seattle backed there seahawks if there competitive in baseball could draw some fun crowds...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.