Home
Feature Article
MLB 14 The Show: The State of Online Post-Patch

If you read our previous review of Sony’s MLB ’14:The Show, than you know we absolutely loved the game as a whole. We lauded SCEA for the improvements to the game, including the highly desired online franchise. However, the game’s online connectivity and lag issues left us wanting more.

If you’re a fan of the series, than you know that online play has been a consistent problem with the series, but typically SCEA San Diego has done a good job of at least correcting the online issues where the game is typically functional. With that said, we thought it would be prudent to take another look at the games online portion now that patch 1.11 has been released to the public.

Our first test was to simply enter into the game room lobbies that SCEA provides online users. We chose a lobby, found each other, and proceeded to try and connect to play a simple online exhibition. In our desire to be fully transparent to our readers, my connection was a high-speed, 15 meg, and Millennium's was 100. We both reside in the eastern time-zone, and the time was approximately 7:00 PM EST.

We tried to connect via this route eight times, with negative results each attempt. Either one of us wouldn’t receive the invitation or the connection would just fail, and this happened every single time. The second avenue I chose was simply picking the online exhibition option from the games main menu. This time I had instant success connecting, although it would be against a random person. Nevertheless, we connected just fine and started the game. Although both of our connectivity notification bars were solid green, the connection was sketchy at best.

The issues started to arise instantly, as there were problems with a slight delay when swinging at the plate. If you swung on time you were constantly early, and it made it very difficult to get into any type of rhythm at the plate. On the pitching side things were better, but the term “better” is subjective to say the least. Both myself and the opponent had pitches that wound up going straight up into the air, as though the ball was shot out of a cannon. I also experienced issues of my pitch missing its intended target by three to four feet. As a former college pitcher, I understand that not every pitch ends up on target, but my scholarship would have been revoked with this game's results. This wasn’t a one-time occurrence either, and it happened much too often to ignore.

It wasn’t just on the mound, or at the plate that we noticed the struggles. We both experienced warping of runners, fielders, and balls in play. On one play I tried a suicide squeeze, and although the my opponents first basemen was drawn in at the time of the catcher fielding the bunt, he warped instantly to first base to snag the throw for the out. We are talking a good 30 feet of instant warping, and there is no way to put a good spin on that, no matter how big a fan of the series you are.

After that game we tried to connect to another random person through the online exhibition option, this time we were not able to connect at all, and received the dreaded “connection failed” error. It’s true, our sample size after the patch release is somewhat small, but our experience was consistent with past attempts both with the new game, and prior titles.

As with any game though, everyone’s online experience is going to differ, and we recognize that fact. Just because we had multiple issues, doesn’t necessarily mean that our readers will have the same experience. The game I was able to connect to was playable, but I tried to play it with a mindset of all the potential online franchise commissioners out there, and the difficulty of trying to maintain any type of lengthy franchise with these types of issues. As you can imagine, it didn’t leave us wanting to fire one up right away with the expectations that the members would thoroughly enjoy the experience.

We don’t know how much the online portion of the game will improve over time, but what we do know is this. The online experience has improved since the games release, but for us at least, it hasn't improved enough to warrant a higher recommendation for the game from our original review.

MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 HustlinOwl @ 04/25/14 11:23 AM
wow you are going to call that an improvement?

# 2 bluengold34_OS @ 04/25/14 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
wow you are going to call that an improvement?
When we first did the review Hustlin, we were never once able to finish an online game. We didn't say it was good, just improved - which it has.

# 3 HustlinOwl @ 04/25/14 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
When we first did the review Hustlin, we were never once able to finish an online game. We didn't say it was good, just improved - which it has.
understand that, but majority of online community would agree that online is unacceptable as is and has taken a major step back compared to 12 and 13. Let's keep it real lol. With that being said Im holding out hope for the 6th and the PS4 version play a lot better online considering PS Plus is required and MLBTS is a first party

# 4 dragan24 @ 04/25/14 11:56 AM
Nice article. As expected, The Show's black eye -- online. Not trying to take away from your input, but the first two paragraphs contain the words "than" instead of "then." Just an FYI.

# 5 seanjeezy @ 04/25/14 11:58 AM
I've always wondered why this series has such a hard time getting online to work. The only game I've ever played online is SF4 (the original lol) and I never had drops and only minimal lag at worst, and that's with my ****ty 1.2 Mb (yes, Mb) internet. I know SF4 is/was P2P, but wasn't The Show also at one point? Aren't servers supposed to be better?

# 6 bluengold34_OS @ 04/25/14 12:04 PM
Quote:
understand that, but majority of online community would agree that online is unacceptable as is and has taken a major step back compared to 12 and 13. Let's keep it real lol. With that being said Im holding out hope for the 6th and the PS4 version play a lot better online considering PS Plus is required and MLBTS is a first party
Cannot argue with that -

# 7 SDwinder @ 04/25/14 02:12 PM
Over 10 years ago, we had High Heat on the PC. That game played awesome online consistently, and with a slow DSL connection. I just don't understand. In this day and age, when we have so many various games that play great online usually, how The Show continues to struggle! It must be very old legacy code.

Also, it makes no sense to expand on the online options, when the core gameplay isn't there online as a foundation yet.

# 8 HustlinOwl @ 04/25/14 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDwinder
Over 10 years ago, we had High Heat on the PC. That game played awesome online consistently, and with a slow DSL connection. I just don't understand. In this day and age, when we have so many various games that play great online usually, how The Show continues to struggle! It must be very old legacy code.

Also, it makes no sense to expand on the online options, when the core gameplay isn't there online as a foundation yet.
For me MVP NCAA 06 was by far the best experience for baseball online lol and that was PS2 days

# 9 PsychoBulk @ 04/25/14 05:16 PM
Ive never been an online Show player and never will be, im an offline Franchise man at heart, but i have to say it does more than surprise me that Sony continually has these online problems for a 1 v 1, two player game.

Compare it to Conquest in Battlefield 4, which i do play online, 32 v 32, 64 people from all over the world on the same screen and 99.9% of the time it works absolutely brilliantly.

It is indeed an odd one, and i do have sympathy for those of you to whom online is a big thing.

# 10 bluengold34_OS @ 04/25/14 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda27042009
my buddy's half-sister makes $87 /hr on the computer . She has been out of a job for 6 months but last month her pay check was $21667 just working on the computer for a few hours. this page LINK HERE>>>> W**WW*.*J*O*B*T*O*G*.*C*O**M
Is she married? Cause I'm all over that **** -

# 11 Spaced Ace @ 04/26/14 10:05 AM
At this point, it's beyond a joke that the online portion of the game is plagued with connectivity and lag issues. It's been seven years now. SEVEN! It's a shame because the offline gameplay is so damn good.

# 12 chitownwonder @ 04/26/14 10:43 AM
Online is what I play 90% of the time with the other 10 % going to offline when servers are down. This is the worse I've seen the show online , so many weird things happening while playing online makes this gm unplayable.

Was getting a PS4 because of this gm now I'm waiting to see how it plays online before I spend my hard earned money on a next gen system with old gen problems.

# 13 cardinalbird5 @ 04/26/14 04:40 PM
Quote:
For me MVP NCAA 06 was by far the best experience for baseball online lol and that was PS2 days
MVP 05 with Manny on the cover was awesome online as well. I really don't remember much lag at all and my connection was very minimal with like a 3 mb DL.

# 14 cardinalbird5 @ 04/26/14 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaced Ace
At this point, it's beyond a joke that the online portion of the game is plagued with connectivity and lag issues. It's been seven years now. SEVEN! It's a shame because the offline gameplay is so damn good.
Online the past few years have been pretty good for me. I agree this years is awful, but I still don't get why people bash the previous years online modes. Less than 1 pct of my games would not finish in mlb 13.

# 15 Sco291 @ 04/26/14 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
I don't play online...never have. But my son does. Says game is totally unplayable online (CT - high speed connection). He ONLY plays online so in his eyes he wasted $60. I hate online but feel sorry for the folks who play that mode and can't...it does not portend well for PS4 either.
I'm sorry, and this is just my opinion, but if anyone bought this game solely for online play, then the jokes on them and the "money wasted" is their problem. This franchise has never been rated the way it has been for the online play, but instead for the offline features.

Is it a shame the online couldn't be better? Absolutely as there's a lot of people who love playing online. BUT if you're buying this gme for just online...then I'm kind of at a loss for words. Each to their own though

# 16 HustlinOwl @ 04/26/14 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco291
I'm sorry, and this is just my opinion, but if anyone bought this game solely for online play, then the jokes on them and the "money wasted" is their problem. This franchise has never been rated the way it has been for the online play, but instead for the offline features.

Is it a shame the online couldn't be better? Absolutely as there's a lot of people who love playing online. BUT if you're buying this gme for just online...then I'm kind of at a loss for words. Each to their own though
no its not on us that bought for online really?? If a developer is unable to provide a quality experience then get rid of it all together let alone implementing modes for a mode that does not work

# 17 HustlinOwl @ 04/26/14 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven78
It was fine last year so people assumed this year would be good as well. Right now the online part of the game is garbage.
no kidding and shame on the rest of the community that would think the joke is on us for expecting a quality game online considering they implemented finally an online franchise and what do we get an experience that is by far the worse of the series. Instead they would rather rate a game 8/10 while releasing a mode that is completely broken

# 18 HustlinOwl @ 04/26/14 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven78
I was planning on picking up a PS4 with The Show but now Im waiting. I actually went back to playing 13 online. Sad.
not me MLB 14 paid off and ready for the 6th, here's to hoping with Pay to play online and MLBTS being developed by a first party one would think they would deliver

# 19 tacosaban @ 04/26/14 05:55 PM
I only play online and Im gonna wait until reviews are up on the PS4 online play before I purchase.

# 20 johnlnames @ 04/26/14 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco291

Online franchise was the big new feature and got a lot of hype. That alone gives a reason to buy the game.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.