Home
Feature Article
Five Favorite Ballparks in MLB 14 The Show

Being a huge baseball fan I have trekked across the country trying to get to as many ballparks as possible. For me, one of the attractions of baseball, aside for the game itself, are the epic cathedrals in which these teams play. There is something magical about walking through the turnstile(s), making your way up the ramp or stairs, and seeing the inside of the park for the first time. Taking in the colors, sounds, ambiance, and architecture, creates an almost euphoric adrenaline for fans, and feelings that are difficult to replicate.

Although it may not be the same thing as experiencing these stadiums in real life, MLB ‘14: The Show developers do a very good job of recreating each of these impressive structures, including some of the finest details that is associated with each park. Of course everyone has their own set of favorite baseball locales, but these five stadiums happen to be my favorite to play at in MLB ‘14:The Show.

PNC Park - Pittsburgh Pirates (NL)

Opening in 2001, this ballpark became an instant classic, and a favorite among fans and players alike. With unique dimensions, a beautiful skyline backdrop, and a warm inviting feel to it, PNC is one of my favorite ballparks to play in MLB ’14. The park includes a short porch in right field, a deep alley in left-center, and a nice centerfield batters eye to help pick up the ball rather easily while at the plate. PNC Park is a fixture on almost everyone’s list of favorite parks, and it is no different for me. That is why it is one of my top five stadiums to play at in the game.

Wrigley Field – Chicago Cubs (NL)

The second oldest ballpark in the Majors, Wrigley is celebrating its 100th Birthday this year, and in many ways still looks and feels like it did decades ago. From the hand-operated scoreboard, the ivy on the outfield walls, to fans sitting on wooden bleachers in the outfield, Wrigley has a very distinct, old-fashion feel to it. However, it does lack modern amenities and can be very difficult to hit the ball once the afternoon shadows start creeping in from the 3rd base side. Even with that said, there are very few stadiums that are purely saturated with the history of the game quite like the one that sits on the corner of Clark and Addison – and that is why we consider it one of my favorites in MLB ‘14:The Show.

Oriole Park at Camden Yards – Baltimore Orioles (AL)

Many attribute the boom of the retro-style ballpark construction to the Orioles, and they would be correct. Camden Yards opened in 1992, and much like the Pirates PNC Park, Camden became an instant classic, and still is to this day. There is something about seeing the warehouse loom over the right field backdrop, and the overall stadium architecture blends in perfectly with the Inner Harbor neighborhood. We also feel the need to mention beautiful center field view, that is shadowed by the Baltimore Skyline. Whether playing in the stadium during the day, or at night, it is always a treat to play in Oriole Park at Camden Yards in MLB ‘14:The Show.

Kauffman Stadium – Kansas City Royals (AL)

The Royals have occupied Kauffman Stadium now for 42 years, and while there have been many changes over that time, it still remains one of the most picturesque parks in the Majors. The ballpark includes many unique features such as the 104 foot crown topped HD scoreboard in center field, and the cascading waterfalls in the outfield. Kauffman Stadium is truly one of the few parks in MLB ‘14 that will have you losing focus at the plate, while you take in all the park has to offer. The fans are right on top of you in the outfield, and the walls are just short enough to make for some interesting opportunities in regards to robbing home-runs. All of these things combined is why Kauffman is one of my favorite stadiums in the game.

AT&T Park – San Francisco Giants (NL)

After moving from the wind tunnel known as Candlestick Park in 2000, the Giants have enjoyed playing in one of the best ballparks in the Majors. From the Coke bottle and glove the hovers over the left field bleachers, the enormous video screen in center, or the most prominent feature the park has, its 24-foot wall in right field. The wall’s height was built specifically that high to honor former Giants star Willie Mays, who, you guessed it, wore the number 24. We would be remiss if we didn’t mention McCovey Cove beyond the right field wall. The section of San Francisco Bay that was named so for former Giants star Willie McCovey, and is famous for its “splash hits.” All of this combined is what makes AT&T Park one of the best in the game to play.

SCEA SD does a great job recreating almost all of the stadiums in their MLB series, and I am sure that others will have their own set of five favorite ballparks to play at, but for us, these are the five that we look forward to playing at the most.

What are you favorite ballparks to play in?

MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Shaffer26 @ 05/03/14 11:15 AM
My 5:
AT&T
Camden
PNC
Marlins Park
Nationals Park

I would say Wrigley, but I've played there too many times being a Cubs fan.

# 2 JayD @ 05/03/14 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaffer26
My 5:
AT&T
Camden
PNC
Marlins Park
Nationals Park

I would say Wrigley, but I've played there too many times being a Cubs fan.
ugh I think Marlins Parks is absolutely hideous. I agree with the rest of your list though.

# 3 bluengold34_OS @ 05/03/14 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD
ugh I think Marlins Parks is absolutely hideous. I agree with the rest of your list though.
It's funny how Marlins Park is so damn polarizing. People tend to really love it, or simply hate it. Citi Field is another park like that -

# 4 aimiami @ 05/03/14 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD
I would like the marlins stadium 100 times more if their outfield had a normal color walls. Its so bright...

# 5 Ghost Of The Year @ 05/03/14 12:22 PM
Taking aesthetics completely out of the equation, the 5 stadia I enjoy playing at the most have to do with ballplay in the outfield.
1- Reds Great American Park
2- Cubs Wrigley Field
3- Astros Minute Maid Park
4- Orioles Camden Park
5a- Rockies Coors Field
5b- Red Sox Fenway Park

This is just taking into account the MLB teams current stadiums, I'd prefer all stadiums to have drastically different dimensions like the classics Polo Ground and the like.

# 6 Arrowhead21 @ 05/03/14 12:28 PM
My 7:

Comerica
Kauffman
Busch
AT&T
Great American
Camden
Safeco

# 7 ShowTyme15 @ 05/03/14 12:32 PM
Not going to make a list, but I've always liked Kauffman Stadium in KC. One of my all time favorites.

# 8 willz1985 @ 05/03/14 01:20 PM
Being a Padres fan I have to say love Petco. Smack dab right in the middle of downtown and has the western metal supply co. building down left outfield.

In august I'm heading to new york. gonna try and get a yankees and mets games in if I can

# 9 burjeffton @ 05/03/14 01:44 PM
Most of my favorites are not on the East Coast, since East Coast games are constantly broadcast on television. I tend to enjoy playing the smaller market fields. That said, there's no denying Fenway.

1.AT&T
2. Target Field
3. PNC
4. Houston (fun to hit in)
5. Fenway

# 10 burjeffton @ 05/03/14 01:44 PM
Oh, man. I missed Petco. So underrated.

# 11 Blzer @ 05/03/14 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by willz1985
Being a Padres fan I have to say love Petco. Smack dab right in the middle of downtown and has the western metal supply co. building down left outfield.
Not to be picky, but it's actually in the southernmost part of downtown. Not to worry though, it's the best area of downtown SD anyway.

In this game, my top five list would not be exactly the same as my real life list. I think there are faulty pieces of AT&T Park in this game that detract from its beauty, though it looks like the PS4 version got [only slightly] closer. Chase Field is very poorly represented in this game IMO.

On the other hand, I love Coors Field in this game. Oh, and Yankee Stadium.

# 12 Resile @ 05/03/14 02:14 PM
Petco Park
At&T Park
Camden Yards
Target Field
PNC Park

# 13 gwshark9 @ 05/03/14 03:17 PM
1. Progressive Field
2. Safeco Field
3. Minutemaid Park
4. Busch Stadium
5. PNC

# 14 snaz16 @ 05/03/14 03:29 PM
With all the new stadiums built its hard to pick a top 5. I've been fortunate to have seen every park in the majors with the exception of Petco and Target ,(when I visited those towns in 03 and 07 it was Qualcomm and the Metrodome). And from a distance they look good. With that said my top 5
1. PNC Park.. that downtown cityscape explodes on you when you go into the park.
2. Wrigley...every game is a massive block party then you can get mesmerized watching the ivy do the wave on a breezy day
3.AT&T..gorgeous.
4.Camden Yards...the 1st retro park and still a gem.
5.Fenway...classic
3 Honorable mentions...The Jake(Progressive),,,Safeco ,,,, Philly.

# 15 bluengold34_OS @ 05/03/14 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaz16
With all the new stadiums built its hard to pick a top 5.
It was very hard to pick, as there are a lot of great venues.

Petco
Minute Maid
New Yankee
Target
Fenway
Great American

All great parks that could have easily been on this list

# 16 ShowTyme15 @ 05/03/14 03:35 PM
I like the Trop as well. I know people think it's a dump, but I've always been drawn to it especially in MLB The Show. They've always made it look better than what it really is.

# 17 kehlis @ 05/03/14 03:37 PM
No love for O.Co Bob?

I bet it missed your list by just a spot.

# 18 bluengold34_OS @ 05/03/14 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
No love for O.Co Bob?

I bet it missed your list by just a spot.
Ha - You know I don't hate the coliseum as much as most, but no - not a lot of love.

# 19 Arrowhead21 @ 05/03/14 03:42 PM
The Trop and Rogers Centre are both garbage. Every facility should be forced to use real grass and if they don't have the means they shouldn't be considered as an MLB venue. Playing surface is only part of the Trops' issues, mind you.

# 20 Sdrawkcab321 @ 05/03/14 04:01 PM
I don't pretend to remember all the ballparks names but

Progressive field- homerism
Padres
Fenway
Baltimore
San Fran

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.