Home
Feature Article
WWE 2K17 On Solid Ground, Has Room to Grow

Wrestling video games have an interesting history. Much like real-life WWE where there is a segment of fans who insist that the "good ol’ days" of wrestling passed us by decades ago, there are many fans of this genre who insist that the last great wrestling game released was WWF No Mercy for the Nintendo 64. No Mercy was no doubt a great game, but those who ignore the strides wrestling games have made since 2K Sports took over are missing out.

I’ve written before how I took a long break from the franchise. For me, the 2000s simply were not fun from a gameplay standpoint. I took a stab at WWE 12 but left feeling underwhelmed. WWE 2K17, on the other hand, feels like a whole new ballgame. The graphics are much improved along with smoother animations. However, as far as video games have come, it’s still tricky to nail down human animation so that it comes across as natural. Wrestling games have long been one of the worst offenders in this department, but 2K17 definitely has a more natural feel to all of the movements.

Gameplay

This then bleeds into the gameplay aspect, which also gives reason for optimism moving forward. It used to be that I would play these games simply because I’m a big wrestling fan. And that’s still the case, but I find myself playing 2K17 more because the game itself is fun. If you can find the right opponent, singles matches can mirror the feeling that you have after an intense Street Fighter battle, for example. Instead of feeling like a slow, plodding, five-minute bout filled with 50 different finishers, 2K17 now feels like an actual back-and-forth competition.

And with the gameplay foundation finally on solid ground, 2K Sports can also invest time in other areas. In previous years, when new features or gameplay modes were touted, the prevalent thought was, “that sounds cool, but how’s the gameplay?” Ideally, your fans would be excited about the new features, not worried that the new features wouldn’t mean much if the gameplay was still broken.

Of course, I’m not suggesting that 2K doesn’t need to make any gameplay tweaks. You could even argue that there is still a long way to go. But the fact that the series is in great hands and has improved so much in recent years is a great reason to be optimistic about its future.

Everything Else

But what about everything else? 2K has long had a great creation suite. The number of belts, wrestlers, etc. that are available for download is mind boggling. But that isn’t enough. You need a few different gameplay modes to keep players engaged. Single player is great, but it tends to get stale after a while. MyCareer provides some relief and has a lot of replay value, but to me, MyUniverse should be 2K’s focus going forward.

MyUniverse has the potential to be a great mode, but it’s just not there yet. The menus are cumbersome to navigate. Simple edits take forever. Storylines are limited and clunky. And there are plenty of bugs to go around. Fantasy booking is something almost every wrestling fan loves to do, so 2K Sports would be wise to dedicate some resources into making this mode as fun and rewarding as it could be. Using NBA 2K again for comparison purposes, the MyGM/MyLeague modes would be a great model for WWE 2K to follow. 2K Sports has proven it has the ability to do this right, so here’s hoping it eventually translates over to the wrestling side.

What is your opinion on the current state of WWE 2K? Are you optimistic? Have you enjoyed the recent releases? Let us know in the comments!

Member Comments
# 1 inkcil @ 01/20/17 04:31 PM
This one of the least impressive sports games series of this generation....NBA 2k, Madden, Fifa and other games are huge leaps over their PS3/360 counterparts, while WWE feels like just a "graphical bump."

The Milestone Racing games (WRC, Moto GP, MXGP) are guilty of this as well.

I just upgraded to a PS4 on Black Friday and so my perspective on this is very fresh.

# 2 RNS1hunna @ 01/21/17 09:22 PM
Don't get me wrong I like the game...but I don't love it I I thought after 3 or 4 years that 2k would've done more with this title but as it stands it hard to see much difference from when it was under the control of THQ

# 3 PVarck31 @ 01/21/17 10:10 PM
Great write-up. I agree that the game has made strides, but unfortunately it once again failed to hold my interest for very long. I had a lot of fun with it for about a month, then it got shelved. I recently sold it on eBay for $30, so I feel I got my money's worth. I may get the itch to play it again around WrestleMania season. Might try to find it on the cheap.

I think my biggest issue with the series in general is the game is pretty much out of date on release day. I get they have to cut off the rosters at some point but I would like to see at least one roster update halfway through the cycle. I don't think that's asking too much. I would also like to see alternate attire's. Not really sure why this is so hard. Also there needs to be a way to upload music for caw's.

And please stop nickel and dimeing us for every little thing. I mean $5 for the accelerator, and another $5 for more moves? Come on. And I won't even go into charging for wrestlers that should be in the game from the start.

# 4 Junior Moe @ 01/22/17 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
Great write-up. I agree that the game has made strides, but unfortunately it once again failed to hold my interest for very long. I had a lot of fun with it for about a month, then it got shelved. I recently sold it on eBay for $30, so I feel I got my money's worth. I may get the itch to play it again around WrestleMania season. Might try to find it on the cheap.

I think my biggest issue with the series in general is the game is pretty much out of date on release day. I get they have to cut off the rosters at some point but I would like to see at least one roster update halfway through the cycle. I don't think that's asking too much. I would also like to see alternate attire's. Not really sure why this is so hard. Also there needs to be a way to upload music for caw's.

And please stop nickel and dimeing us for every little thing. I mean $5 for the accelerator, and another $5 for more moves? Come on. And I won't even go into charging for wrestlers that should be in the game from the start.
Agree completely. At the very least there should be a day 1 roster update that brings the game current to release day. That's attires, entrance music and everything. Anything after that I'm cool with a charge. It's not like they are unaware of WWE happenings after the roster cutoff date. I don't even follow WWE much these days but even I notice how outdated some wrestlers are. Change that and give us a way to add custom tracks (The Show does so it can be done) and just keep building on what they have and I could see myself buying every year. I literally only got this years game for Goldberg and Kerr Von Erich.

# 5 Fiddy @ 01/22/17 12:24 PM
Release all DLC at launch and I'll play it more. Until then, meh!

# 6 RNS1hunna @ 01/23/17 11:09 AM
I know the 2k basketball guys are active on OS but are the 2k wrestling guys active on here?

# 7 SmashMan @ 01/23/17 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNS1hunna
I know the 2k basketball guys are active on OS but are the 2k wrestling guys active on here?
Nope. They aren't active anywhere.

# 8 jvalverde88 @ 01/23/17 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashMan
Nope. They aren't active anywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolove626
You are wrong. The 2k forums are pretty active with WWE guys.
Yeah no they're not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNS1hunna

I take it you're talking about developers, right? It was either the final year with THQ or the first year with 2K there was a dev, Marcus Stephenson I think, that posted but I believe he is no longer a dev for the game.

# 9 SmashMan @ 01/23/17 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalverde88
Yeah no they're not.

I take it you're talking about developers, right? It was either the final year with THQ or the first year with 2K there was a dev, Marcus Stephenson I think, that posted but I believe he is no longer a dev for the game.
I thought he meant developers, yeah. Marcus was around a ton when he was with NBA Live and then around a little bit with THQ. I want to say he was with 2K for a year but I don't think he posted here at all while he was with them.

2K just as a whole doesn't seem to want to engage on forums (NBA2K guys always seemed to just come here on their own). I mean, it's their right not to so it is what it is, but i think there's a lot of upside to it if they wanted to do it.

# 10 Nature_Boy @ 01/24/17 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31

These are my two biggest complaints with the game. You can count on one hand how many times I have played 2K17. I'm ready to see how much Gamestop will give me on a trade in. In this day and age, there's simply no reason why this game is always out of date right out of the box. And I won't even get started on having to play for every little thing that should be included in the game in the first place. I realize all sports games have DLC you have to pay for but this game has always taken it to a higher level, even when THQ was at the helm.

# 11 Turbojugend @ 01/24/17 07:49 PM
Still haven't come across a modern rasslin' game that I prefer to Fire Pro.

# 12 jaredsmith83 @ 01/25/17 09:22 AM
The difference between 2k15 on next gen and 2k16 was significant enough for me that I was a day one on 2k17. And looking back, I don't know that I really would say that I regret that decision, but I have felt like this game has been incomplete for its entire run. Bugs patched but triggering other bugs. Its not really been a mess, but its not really been a fun experience either. And I haven't even experienced a lot of the bugs that others have.

I'm one of the many who wonders why they constantly hit us up with so many DLC options. And the options that we have been getting aren't really what I would consider to be anything special. I know that rosters being out of date is a hot topic portion of debate, but, I mean if they can add in an updated entrance for someone, why can't they add in that sort of thing for someone new altogether? And I know that there's a lot of talk about how hard it is to schedule the talent in for scanning and all that. But shoot, it can't be THAT hard for attire updates. I guess that's why they put up Community Creation, so that we can do it and they don't have to. I just feel like there's a bit more give in there than they say there is. And I understand that there's a lot involved with it on both ends.

But, I just feel like something isn't fully right with the franchise now and I think that it needs to start making some strides before they lose the people that they gained back.

# 13 brettas2 @ 01/25/17 03:03 PM
I have played the games since SvR 2010. The creation suite and rosters are frustrating. On last gen systems, we had access to many different options for entrance moves, the ability to create our own entrance videos, upload our own entrance music and a really cool custom logo designer. Now, on this gen, we can upload a picture already (can't design an original without an art program on the computer, which unfortunately I do not have) no entrance moves other than the wrestlers in the game, and a very limited selection of music that is not being used by other wrestlers. Create a finisher? This was a great feature!!! I think that the future of this game depends on the myUniverse. I think the ability to add more customization to the other aspects of the game is a great start, but give us a better entrance creation suite, move creation, and the ability to be the GM, that was one of the best features in the games for a while. The WWE Draft comes back in to play, bragging rights ppv with your own brand against raw, smackdown, nxt and others, (think bringing Nitro or ECW or ROH back into play) Allow for the old school survivor series ppv format to be brought back and maybe even expand to 4 v 4 tag matches (Something prevalent on wwe tv today). This is a whole new generation of systems which are supposed to have this awesome capability, yet it doesn't feel like this game even scratches the surface of that at all. And if a wrestler is on the main roster, they should be in the game or at least included in an update. Not charged 5$ a crack for. I understand for the fringe stuff like the accelerator. But the roster should be updated as much as possible (madden, the show, nba 2k.) All of these games update rosters pretty much weekly. This shouldn't be difficult to do for wwe. Each wrestler should have the ability for alternate attire. SvR was up to 4 alternate attires you could create. Why not with 2k? You basically have to take up a created wrestler spot to create an alternate attire. USE THE TECHNOLOGY!!! you cant tell me these things cannot be added to 2k18... PS4 and XBone are not downgrades from the PS3 and 360... its sad...

That being said, movement, and physics are getting better, the universe mode is getting better each year, just feels like there is still a ways to go.

# 14 nhthelegend @ 01/25/17 03:09 PM
I have hope that this generation will produce a classic WWE game. The gameplay is the best it's been in years for my money (glitches aside) and I feel like they've really found a winning formula there. My biggest gripe with these games in recent years is that they lack the drama of a real WWE broadcast. The wrestling itself is there but I crave more immersion in story form. Universe is finally getting to a good spot and the promo engine has helped it but there is still a ways to go. I'm optimistic though. Although slowly, this game seems to be improving every year.

# 15 SlapShotSal @ 01/25/17 06:33 PM
For me no Showcase meant keeping 2K16 for another year and waiting on 18. For the way I like to play, I didn't think the bump to 17 was worth a large missing piece.

# 16 Thrash13 @ 01/26/17 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhthelegend
My biggest gripe with these games in recent years is that they lack the drama of a real WWE broadcast. The wrestling itself is there but I crave more immersion in story form.
The commentary and crowd reactions are severely lacking. If they can find some way to integrate dynamic commentary (really needs to be overhauled completely) along with fitting crowd reactions, it will be a big step forward. The crowds are so generic...

# 17 jvalverde88 @ 01/26/17 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash13
The commentary and crowd reactions are severely lacking. If they can find some way to integrate dynamic commentary (really needs to be overhauled completely) along with fitting crowd reactions, it will be a big step forward. The crowds are so generic...
The voiceover work for wrestlers are awful, especially Enzo's entrance.

# 18 Kanobi @ 01/26/17 07:50 PM
Commentary is a major problem...getting better each year but marginally. Need in-ring audio from the wrestlers themselves too....would add to the immersion of a match

# 19 Thrash13 @ 01/26/17 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi
Commentary is a major problem...getting better each year but marginally. Need in-ring audio from the wrestlers themselves too....would add to the immersion of a match
See, I think the commentary takes smaller steps forward every year than just about every other area of the game. I know Michael Cole is the voice of the WWE, but they desperately need to head down to NXT for a week or two and have Tom Phillips and Corey Graves record thousands of lines for the game. I know those two are busy as well, but I bet they've be more than happy to be the focal point of WWE 2K18 on commentary.

Other sports games go to actual games and record sounds of fans. That's desperately lacking in this series. It's the "little things" that need the most work, and it's baffling the same company who knocks presentation out of the park with NBA 2K is the same company making WWE games every year. I know it's a different team, but it's still 2K. Unreal.

# 20 PVarck31 @ 01/26/17 11:12 PM
I agree that the crowd sound needs a lot of work. I wanna hear huge pops for the guys that get them and heat for the good heels. I would also love crowd chants. I don't think they are in unless they are so low I can't hear them.

And because of this thread I just bought the game again lol.

It was only $30 so I guess it's worth that. Now debating whether or not to get some DLC.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.