Home
Feature Article
A New Era Beginning Soon at OS...

A lot has changed since we launched the current framework and design for Operation Sports back in 2007. Sports gaming has changed immensely and so has the framework from within which the web operates.

Social Media, for starters, became a huge runaway success and in many ways took over our forms of communication. Video has become the new 'it' thing, to the point many content experts say videos are the new blog.

How we access the internet has changed too. We've gone from a desktop/notebook oriented culture to a mobile device oriented culture. In fact, when OS launched the first version of its current design in 2007, over 80% of our users accessed the site via a Windows or Mac based device.

Today, 75% of our audience accesses the site via Android and iOS.

How we built the current OS in 2007 wasn't always going to be compatible with this new reality and indeed it isn't -- but getting to a more modern point has presented itself with several technical challenges. However, after many months of hard work, setbacks, and more hard work I'm proud to announce we are launching a new Operation Sports in the coming weeks which will be modern, responsive, and easy to browse on any device.

The new site design will feature a responsive browsing experience, which means no matter what device you access OS on -- it'll look great.

Also we'll have more modern fonts, bigger pics, easy to embed social media posts, and an easier to browse experience when searching for content.

Editorial Changes Also Coming

On the editorial side we are also making some very big changes.

First, we are no longer going to be doing scored reviews starting immediately. The reasons for this are immense, so let me lay out some of our thinking on this.

When we started reviews back in the early 2000s, a game was released and that was the game you had a year later. There were no content add-ons or patches. In fact, a single score could encapsulate the whole experience. Today that is no longer the case, as a game can change dramatically even just a month after release.

An option we debated but ultimately decided against was a changing score system. While this initially made some sense, at the end of the day we knew this wasn't going to be an elegant or easy to understand solution. Single scores were already confusing enough and having multiple scores for a game or one that changes regularly was going to add to that. Coming up with a perfect system was ultimately impossible.

Instead what we are going to do is commit to better, more comprehensive coverage of all aspects of games while at the same time making sure we have a way to denote the must-buys of our genre. In that way, when we feel a game is a must-own we plan to give it an Editor's Recommendation seal to let OS'ers know we feel a game is truly a step above and worthy of your time.

Otherwise, we plan on critically assessing games throughout their life cycle and giving buying recommendations as usual. This includes patches, DLC releases, and other changes.

Another change we plan on implementing in the coming year is a lot more multimedia. From Podcasts to Videos, we understand this is how most people want to access content and that's something we plan to really help provide and point out throughout the genre. If you are a video creator or podcaster and want to make sure we are highlighting your material, e-mail me at [email protected].

We want to both produce and highlight the very best our community has to offer.

We're also looking at the mobile gaming space. There are hundreds of sports games offerings here which we haven't quite been able to cover with the same zeal as the rest of our genre. We want to change that going forward. If you are someone who plays a lot of mobile sports games and want to perhaps write on the space we're very interested in talking. E-mail me at [email protected].

Lastly, e-sports is a big deal. We understand it. We're assessing what we can do in this space to help promote the best aspects of it. This is an area we certainly want to give some careful thought towards about how we cover it and perhaps participate within it. Again, if you have an idea or want to pitch something in that arena to us, you can e-mail me at [email protected].

We are so pumped for the future of Operation Sports. This site has helped millions of people better their sports games experiences over the years. This next year will be our best yet, and I can't wait to see where the new design takes us.

We're dedicated to sports gaming, and can't wait for a great season!

Member Comments
# 1 ggsimmonds @ 03/31/17 12:48 PM
I understand the reasoning and need for the change(s), and I get that it may be the right move for you guys, but I don't like most of these changes.
My personal opinion:
1. That image makes OS look something like a clickbait nest. Not sure why, layout just looks generic and cheap to me.

2. I always prefer articles over videos. Now more videos doesn't mean fewer articles right?

3. A little nervous with mention of e-sports.

# 2 Sparkles @ 03/31/17 12:52 PM
Wow. Was just thinking about this the other day: "The site could really use a makeover on mobile". This is tremendous news. Cant wait till the new design comes out. Great work fellas, been a user for a long time

# 3 Richzilla @ 03/31/17 01:00 PM
I'm 100% with the clickbait nest comment...the web is not getting better in that regard anywhere...it was easier to find what I want on the web 5/7 years ago. Now every sight looks like driving down the strip in Vegas..I'm also not a fan of video over text in many cases..I like to quietly check out some info while my wife watches tv or if I'm at the airport/etc...dont always want to have to wear earbuds...That being said I'm not opposed to change and will give it a shot. I look forward to checking it out.

# 4 woodjer @ 03/31/17 01:13 PM
Exciting changes! Count me in the group that prefers text over video as well. At the very least, I'd like to see a text version of the videos. Sometimes, I just don't have time to scrub through a video for the information I really care about where I can easily skim an article until I find it.

Regardless, looking forward to the updates.

# 5 CMH @ 03/31/17 01:20 PM
It was due. I admittedly don't even look at the front page because it was not user-friendly. I welcome any change to the layout that will make OS my go-to for sport game articles and coverage (which has slipped over the years in favor of impressions and content in the forums).

# 6 GlennN @ 03/31/17 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
I understand the reasoning and need for the change(s), and I get that it may be the right move for you guys, but I don't like most of these changes.
My personal opinion:
1. That image makes OS look something like a clickbait nest. Not sure why, layout just looks generic and cheap to me.

2. I always prefer articles over videos. Now more videos doesn't mean fewer articles right?

I'm with ggsimmonds. I must be old school. I have no interest in videos or podcasts, and just come here (via PC, not a mobile device) to read articles and the forums. I understand why you are making changes, but these almost certainly will lessen my enjoyment of OS. Also, I continue to be mystified with the eSports thing, so coverage of that is totally wasted on me. I cannot for the life of me understand how watching someone else play a videogame is fun. But, hey, to each his own.

# 7 DIRK41NOWITZKI @ 03/31/17 02:13 PM
I actually don't mind the new layout, looks clean and simple.

# 8 ripcandlestickpark @ 03/31/17 03:07 PM
This might sound like a dumb question, but will anything dynasty-related, namely tables (box scores, matchup previews, etc.), be affected by the new layout?

# 9 BA2929 @ 03/31/17 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennN
I'm with ggsimmonds. I must be old school. I have no interest in videos or podcasts, and just come here (via PC, not a mobile device) to read articles and the forums. I understand why you are making changes, but these almost certainly will lessen my enjoyment of OS. Also, I continue to be mystified with the eSports thing, so coverage of that is totally wasted on me. I cannot for the life of me understand how watching someone else play a videogame is fun. But, hey, to each his own.
Do you like watching sports on TV?

Watching people play video games is exactly like that for some people.

# 10 RaychelSnr @ 03/31/17 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
My personal opinion:

The plan isn't to change what we're doing in text-format at all, if anything with the new CMS backend we'll have we can do more with text. But we do want to expand our multimedia offerings.

Generally just because we mention we want to do more of one thing doesn't mean we're changing what are already doing.

# 11 mestevo @ 03/31/17 03:48 PM
What's the new forum software and are you continuing to support Tapatalk?

# 12 brahmagoul @ 03/31/17 03:59 PM
Ugh to the e-sports. Why anyone finds it entertaining to watch others play video games is beyond me. Reminds me of the agony that came with waiting my turn to play Super Mario Bros. as a child.

# 13 tril @ 03/31/17 06:59 PM
its all about growth. as long as we do not lose access to older posts and the ratings from the older games.

# 14 ggsimmonds @ 03/31/17 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
The plan isn't to change what we're doing in text-format at all, if anything with the new CMS backend we'll have we can do more with text. But we do want to expand our multimedia offerings.

Generally just because we mention we want to do more of one thing doesn't mean we're changing what are already doing.
Fair enough, it is always difficult to please everyone. As long as the writing staff isn't downsized to allow for more "on-air" talent it is all good.

My concern with the e-sports is that currently OS is my go to site because its reputation is that of a sim community. The sports take precedence over the video game part. It is not as one sided as it has been in the past, but it can still be said that this site caters to the (mostly offline?) sim style community. Trying to mix in e-sports worries me because I don't think a site can successfully cater to both. If you are doing both there may come a time when you would have to chose, and the smart business decision is hands down to go with e-sports.

# 15 rockchisler @ 03/31/17 08:22 PM
I'm late I just downloaded the mobile version last month.

# 16 mdiggitydawg @ 03/31/17 09:57 PM
as a long time member, and albeit old school, turning 50 in 2 months...will the forums be the same way? As much as your articles, which I love, i do come to learn about sliders, rosters, players' views...bugs etc. and then make my purchasing decision based on what I've learned... also, sadly i agree, not a fan of video or podcasts... i like to quietly read and digest for myself...but such is life.
This is the only place I come for my video sports info

# 17 Bryzine21 @ 03/31/17 11:33 PM
Nooooo! Please don't take my number ratings.

# 18 Guapo516 @ 03/31/17 11:46 PM
I've been thinking over the last year or so that games need evolving scores, not only is it fair to the consumers but fair to games that improve over time. I'd hope you guys reconsider that as an option, I don't think people would be so confused.

# 19 ps3veron @ 04/01/17 04:20 AM
Congrats OS! I have been with you guys since 2008 and this is one site, I visit consistently almost every single day.

However, I'm old school and I like my numbered reviews. I know several sites have gotten rid of them but mentally I keep translating what I read to a "7" or a "9".

Nevertheless, this his home and we are in this together!

# 20 Northernwolf @ 04/01/17 06:32 AM
I think change can be good for OS, but I'm not sure this is the way to go guys.

First off, the logo looks clean and simple. That's fine.
I did find the article concept added below looked messy and lacked the clean simplicity the new logo articulates. Its a bit jarring to be honest.

The change in how people see the website is a real concern, and I use my own phone now to watch more OS news more than before. And it has not been very optimized for my phones.
So I get the need for a change in the way things are being written and seen, but don't loose the depth of what you have made already.

E-sports: I know its a growing sphere, but this is covered quite well on a lot of gaming sites already. I think it makes very little sense to jump on this bandwagon guys. Stick to traditional sports.

Let me be clear: I don't think there is anything wrong with e-sports or the audience for it. Or the fact that its growing. The "scene" has been developing for years now. The two big gaming sites in my country are already covering e-sports in depth. International sites are already doing the same thing.
Sports games have gotten less attention in gaming sites, because they are often yearly iterations of themselves. The market is owned by one or two major developers for quite some time. So there is little news in it for standard gaming sites besides telling me there is a fifa tournament going on (often e-sports related), and of course the yearly reviews of said annual games.

So there is little original writing or takes on traditional sports games as is, im concerned this move will move this away even further.
OS gives depth to this and a lot of inside knowledge. I doubt this will disappear, but I think the move into e-sports is very mainstream. I hope this will not take away from what you have built here for years.

Overall I will say I understand the need to do this but I have to say at this point Im am more of a skeptic than a supporter.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.