Home
Feature Article
Drafting is a Drag in NBA Games

The NBA Draft represents a new beginning for players, teams, and fans alike every year as the best players from around the globe are there for the choosing. For some, like this year’s number one pick Derrick Rose, the draft represents the realization of a lifelong dream. For others, such as former Kansas Jayhawk Darrell Arthur, the draft may become a nightmare as lofty expectations collide with a harsher reality. For teams, the draft is a defining moment for a franchise. Some end up looking like kings (the Cleveland Cavaliers with LeBron James in the 2003 draft), while others end up as jokers (the 1998 L.A. Clippers and their #1, Michael Olowokandi).

The importance of the NBA Draft is undeniable. So why do basketball video games treat the NBA Draft as an obstacle rather than a crucial event for the future of a franchise? Though ESPN has increased and improved coverage of the NBA lottery and draft throughout the years, NBA-licensed video games have insisted on keeping the draft a dull, tedious experience. This article is dedicated to presenting ideas on how to better represent the spectacle that is the NBA Draft.

The presentation for the draft lottery is currently non-existent. The NBA is unique among the major sports in that the drafting order, at least for the non-playoff teams, is left entirely to luck. The bouncing ping pong balls have become an icon of the NBA draft lottery, but in basketball video games the draft lottery is merely an off-season menu screen that reveals the lottery results in a matter of seconds. Where’s the suspense? Team’s future’s are hanging in the balance, riding on the fortunes of numbered balls in a hopper. The lottery process should be faithfully represented in the game.

The importance of the NBA Draft is undeniable. So why do basketball video games treat the NBA Draft as an obstacle rather than a crucial event for the future of a franchise?

The actual draft is even more boring than the lottery. The entire draft is one menu screen after another. Why should one of the most exciting, important events in the NBA be relegated to be carried out through a couple of quick all-text menu screens? I want to see a draft preview show (similar to 2K’s College Hoops Selection Show) that covers the results of the lottery, breaks down the top five or 10 players available, offers some sleepers, and presents a mock draft. This would greatly enhance the presentation and emphasize the importance of the upcoming NBA Draft.

The actual draft should be carried out through a combination of menu actions and cutscenes. When I get the honor (or dishonor, depending how you look at it) of drafting first, I want to see my draft choice shaking Commissioner Stern’s hand on stage and holding up a #1 team jersey for photographers. I want to see a bio screen for each selected player, including his picture, vitals, and college or high school stats. Teams should also make trades during the draft, and when they happen, we should see a screen recapping who was involved and a cutscene showing the respective teams’ “war rooms.” Little additions like these would really help to make the draft more fun and exciting.

NBA Live needs to play catch-up with the NBA 2K series in a couple areas regarding the draft. One of those is being addressed this year — NBA Live 09 will feature the ability to work out select prospects through the game’s new NBA Live Academy. This will allow gamers to get a better feel for the abilities of the prospects in consideration. Secondly, EA must implement the ability to import draft classes from March Madness. This feature is already standard in 2K’s basketball games and EA’s football games, so the time has come for draft classes in EA’s basketball games as well. Having actual college players makes the draft process much more fun and realistic as opposed to having to evaluate computer-generated prospects.

During last Thursday’s draft coverage, the words of the day included “potential” and “future.” But for basketball video games, the time is now to create a more immersive, exciting representation of the NBA Draft.

NBA Live 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 MillerTime89 @ 07/03/08 12:42 PM
this is the only reason why i dont buy EA's basketball games... they don't have an import draft class option.. 2K Sports does fortunately and hopefully EA will implement it in the future.. if not, i am quite satisfied with NBA 2K series!

# 2 Scott @ 07/03/08 01:26 PM
You would think EA would follow the route of NCAA Football...

# 3 XuanWu @ 07/03/08 01:32 PM
Amen.

# 4 ChicagoSparty @ 07/03/08 03:13 PM
I agree wholeheartedly with this. I just drafted last night. What a bore.

# 5 Mhancock @ 07/03/08 04:18 PM
Why aren't any of us working for EA? I mean, do they have any knowledge of the game through the eyes of an actual fan? The draft should be just like the draft on the New Head Coach, and I hate playing March Madness knowing that I'm basically recruiting for nothing in terms of sending a kid to the NBA after two seasons.

# 6 dubeau @ 07/04/08 07:57 AM
A "Slingshot overtake" should resolve your drafting issue in NBA...

Seriously, if you played MVP05, you would know how much EA love putting enerving menus for useless purposes (Do you really want to save ? Do you really want to quit ?). I am actually surprised nobody in the EA team actually notice that, since the last 3 years...

# 7 Freezer Boy @ 07/04/08 11:32 AM
yeah I just finished a season on NBA Live 08 and wow the draft was really bad. Once you actually go into the draft you can't even see there height (or at least I couldn't find it), which is pretty big in basketball. I really hope EA improves it next year.

# 8 Mhancock @ 07/04/08 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezer Boy
yeah I just finished a season on NBA Live 08 and wow the draft was really bad. Once you actually go into the draft you can't even see there height (or at least I couldn't find it), which is pretty big in basketball. I really hope EA improves it next year.
This is absolutely true, plus, why in the world can't you shuffle through players positions during the draft in 08? You can do it to scout, but then in the draft it's nearly impossible to find those you've scouted.

# 9 cam9219 @ 07/04/08 09:32 PM
Wow totally agree, I would think they could at least have Stephen A. Smith in 2K9 ready to interview my 1st round pick.

# 10 Anticapation @ 07/05/08 03:20 PM
Gameplay in NBA LIVE is very bad so itīs not just the draft that could help that series.But in madden improving the draft would be awesome because the gameplay is OK(almost good).

# 11 rspencer86 @ 07/05/08 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam9219
Wow totally agree, I would think they could at least have Stephen A. Smith in 2K9 ready to interview my 1st round pick.
That would make things easy for 2K, since SAS asked the exact same question to every player he interviewed during the draft this year: "What do you think you bring to the [insert team name here]?"

# 12 vdog90 @ 07/05/08 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer86
That would make things easy for 2K, since SAS asked the exact same question to every player he interviewed during the draft this year: "What do you think you bring to the [insert team name here]?"
And then Stephen A. could offer the player some Cheez Doodlez. Stephen A. loves cheez doodlez.

# 13 rspencer86 @ 07/05/08 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdog90
And then Stephen A. could offer the player some Cheez Doodlez. Stephen A. loves cheez doodlez.

# 14 duke776 @ 07/05/08 06:26 PM
So I guess no NBA game next year will have the import draft class feature since college hoops is gone...that's dissapointing, I like to bring in draft classes.

# 15 osubucksfan47 @ 07/05/08 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke776
So I guess no NBA game next year will have the import draft class feature since college hoops is gone...that's dissapointing, I like to bring in draft classes.
Unless they use CH2K8 to import, but I didn't particularly like it because the rookies were never any good, their ratings were so far off, they didn't import well at all.

# 16 duke776 @ 07/05/08 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by osubucksfan47
Unless they use CH2K8 to import, but I didn't particularly like it because the rookies were never any good, their ratings were so far off, they didn't import well at all.
Maybe they'll let us edit the draft class next year? That wouldn't be a horrible idea.

# 17 rspencer86 @ 07/06/08 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcain
As does the element of the coach in NBA games(it doesn't matter who your coach is in these games, whereas in real life we know certain coaches play distinct styles and like certain types of players).
We're on the same page, jrcain... I wrote an article about that, too.

# 18 hoodlum10 @ 07/08/08 04:45 PM
how would editing a draft class help get real college guys into the game? and another thing, does anyone know 4 sure if nba live 09 allows you to imports draft classes?

# 19 BigO32 @ 07/10/08 01:20 AM
Stephen A smith??? From what I watch from this year's draft, Stephen A did not look interested in interviewing the draftees. off caamera he look like he saw somebody shot his dog or something, a droopy dude.

But anyways if Stephen A does want to do it in 2k9 it would be a win-win situation, 2k9 got what they need to keep satisifed on the draft end and Stephen A is finally recognize since the cancellation of his show.

# 20 texbuk84 @ 07/10/08 01:26 AM
absolutely abismal. the nba off-season is by far the worst in all the major sport games.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.