Home
Feature Article
Why Madden Will Be Better Than NCAA

I love the sport of football, and summer is the best time of year to fill my need for video game football. But while NCAA Football is a great game in its own regard, it simply does not fill the void.

Madden always comes out one month after NCAA, so like many others I use NCAA to tone my football game skills until the big release. This year is no different, as Madden is sure to be better than NCAA. Here’s why.

Even Playing Field

In Madden (and the NFL of course) the 32 teams are all professionals. Sure some think teams like the Raiders or Dolphins could lose to a powerhouse college team, but those types of NFL teams are in the minority. Every team can win or lose on any given Sunday, with no real cupcake teams. But why does this matter?

Madden decided to go with the “well everyone is complaining so let’s do something” approach.

Well, my favorite college team is San Diego State. Let us just say they simply are not the best team in college football. Now, when I play online or with my friends it can be a real task to beat a LSU or Florida with San Diego State.

In Madden this isn’t a problem. Nothing brings more joy to my life than using the Houston Texans to wipe out the Indianapolis Colts in an online duel to the death.

The New Play Call Window

NCAA stuck with the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” approach to the play call screen, and the same basic presentation makes a return as well. Madden decided to go with the “well everyone is complaining so let’s do something” approach.

From what we have seen in videos and screenshots, the new play call screen appears to let you do everything want without pushing pause.

Want to put in a specific player at LE for a 2nd and long? Just a quick flick of the right analog stick and you are done sir! How about seeing the statistics of my top wide receivers? Again, just another flick of the right analog stick. You can also watch the replays from that same screen without pushing pause to hold up the game.

Something like this can change the flow of the game and it is a wonder this has not been implemented before.

Online Leagues

I know, I know. NCAA has online dynasties. But there is one big reason I am saying online leagues will be killer feature for Madden – 32 people.

Imagine you and 31 others duking it out to try and make the Super Bowl in one go-for-it all season.

Imagine you and 31 others duking it out to try and make the Super Bowl in one go-for-it all season. With full tracking of statistics and the ability to play your games any time, this feature alone is a great reason to get pumped for Madden.

Madden IQ

Now this is highly speculation, since the game has not been released yet to the public, but if this new feature does anything close to what it promises it could be a great year for Madden. In the past, many spent tons of hours trying to perfect a set of sliders that were perfect for their style of play. This year, Madden IQ will do all the work for you, tailoring the game to your abilities.

If the game sees you struggling in the running department, it will make it easier for you in that part of the game. On the other hand, if you are swatting down and picking off every throw attempted, the game will start stepping things up.

If this concept works like it should, it will be a giants step forward for sports video games and how the AI interacts with the humans playing the game.

NCAA Football 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Ruffy @ 07/23/08 12:20 PM
There are some interesting new features for sure...the new play call window is very intriguing to me as well.....sounds really cool....hopefully it works that well too...

Im hoping these online leagues have the ability to have a live online fantasy draft...I'll never be truly satisfied with Madden until we can have a 32 team draft live on the net....and in the offseason how awesome would draft day be....importing a draft class from NCAA and having a wild day of drafting and trades...with a running clock!!

# 2 fistofrage @ 07/23/08 01:23 PM
Madden better be superior to NCAA, because in its current state NCAA is a disaster. On top of that, Madden should benefit from alot of free Beta testing and customer feedback on NCAA. So if things like kick coverage are ruined like in NCAA, its just inexcusable.

I don't know how much I will like the adaptive AI. It sounds a little suspicious. Oh, your not passing well against the Bears. Don't worry, they'll start playing like the NCAA defenses so you can complete 95% of your passes. Wait the AI is getting stuffed in the running game because you have a good gameplan. We'll fix that, there, now your linebackers run backwards at the snap and get suction blocked. That along with Mulligans sound like you could be in for a tour of the EA Cheese factory.

# 3 hail2thevictors @ 07/23/08 01:28 PM
LMAO @ fistofrage

# 4 yamabushi @ 07/23/08 01:34 PM
Quote:
one could say there are probably some good reasons why Madden should top NCAA this year.
Faint praise.

# 5 DubTrey1 @ 07/23/08 01:44 PM
Jolding out hope that Madden fill the void. NCAA was not it - Let'scross fingers EA does us all a favor this year.

# 6 WDOgF0reL1fe @ 07/23/08 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy
There are some interesting new features for sure...the new play call window is very intriguing to me as well.....sounds really cool....hopefully it works that well too...

Im hoping these online leagues have the ability to have a live online fantasy draft...I'll never be truly satisfied with Madden until we can have a 32 team draft live on the net....and in the offseason how awesome would draft day be....importing a draft class from NCAA and having a wild day of drafting and trades...with a running clock!!
Ruffy, they do have a fantasy draft option. I guess I just failed to mention that

# 7 ChicagoSparty @ 07/23/08 01:54 PM
One thing is sure. The pressure is on. The scruitiny under which this game will find itself will be massive in light of the NCAA hiccups.

# 8 Herky @ 07/23/08 02:17 PM
Madden was a 100% disaster on next gen last year and NCAA has been hit and miss this year.

I hope to God unqualified testers are not used this year in Madden. EA seems to lack there.

# 9 vegaas @ 07/23/08 02:20 PM
It doesnt matter. If Madden is crap this year it will still sell a ton of copies and then next year everyone will be all excited by some new feature and be spouting that this will be the year EA delivers.

# 10 QN_52 @ 07/23/08 02:26 PM
Unless Madden 09 has a popup warning "insertNfl 2K5 for a real football experience" before starting it won't be anything to talk about.

# 11 FORMULA316 @ 07/23/08 02:31 PM
(Blue in the face). I am not waiting for August, more like mid October when the 'highly anticipated patch' hits Xbox Live, of course after it's MS approved

# 12 ASB37 @ 07/23/08 02:34 PM
If madden is any worse than NCAA i will seriously doubt everything i know about life. NCAA has so many problems bugs issues etc logically Madden can't be any worse.

# 13 yamabushi @ 07/23/08 02:41 PM
EA CEO John Riccitiello:

Quote:
I don't think the investors give a sh*t about our quality. They care about our earnings per share. .....That's fine with me.
Just to throw that out there. Now how do you feel about Madden being better?

# 14 FORMULA316 @ 07/23/08 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamabushi
EA CEO John Riccitiello:

Just to throw that out there. Now how do you feel about Madden being better?
Interesting, just read a similar article off of Google news. Posted a new thread
in the NCAA forum. While the Dev's are working labouring to resolve NCAA 09,
this take from EA's CEO gives some perspective.

# 15 PVarck31 @ 07/23/08 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORMULA316
Interesting, just read a similar article off of Google news. Posted a new thread
in the NCAA forum. While the Dev's are working labouring to resolve NCAA 09,
this take from EA's CEO gives some perspective.
Guys come on. Of course investors don't care about the quality of the games. They invest to make money. Its really simple economics.

# 16 thmst30 @ 07/23/08 03:10 PM
Why Madden Will Be Better Than NCAA? Easy, how can it not be.

# 17 yamabushi @ 07/23/08 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
Guys come on. Of course investors don't care about the quality of the games. They invest to make money. Its really simple economics.
Qaulity and profit are not mutually exclusive.

# 18 fistofrage @ 07/23/08 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamabushi
Qaulity and profit are not mutually exclusive.
But when you throw in an Exclusive license they can be.

# 19 sportyguyfl31 @ 07/23/08 03:35 PM
Eh, whatever.

There is no reason for me to have any belief that all of these features are going to work properly until I see for myself that they do.

With the atrocity that online dynasty is so far, why on earth would I possibly believe that online 32 man leagues is going to go off without a hitch?

# 20 xV3L0CiTY @ 07/23/08 03:44 PM
Every year I get hyped and am almost always let down. With both NCAA and Madden. Yet when July and August roll around I get hyped again (even when they both epically fail the previous year). Don't know why...

I think if Madden doesn't pull through this year I will give up on both.

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.