View Single Post
Old 03-31-2021, 03:39 PM   #55
Kodos
Resident Alien

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/31/t...-browsers.html

You can do a lot to improve your privacy just by choosing a good browser. Personally, I use Firefox with some add ons (uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger, HTTPS Everywhere, and DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials) on my laptops. On my phone, it's Firefox and DuckDuckGo. Safari is a good browser as well. Basically, anything but Chrome, the most popular browser in the world. Anything you do in Chrome is sucked up by Google and used to target you better.

Quote:
By the end of this column, I hope to persuade you to at least try something else: a new type of internet navigator called a private browser. This kind of browser, from less-known brands like DuckDuckGo and Brave, has emerged over the last three years. What stands out is that they minimize the data gathered about us by blocking the technologies used to track us.

That’s generally better than what most mainstream browsers, especially Chrome, do. While some browsers like Safari and Firefox also include tracking prevention, the smaller brands have been focused on even more privacy protections.

--------

In the end, though, you probably would be happy using any of the private browsers. Even if you don’t make one your default browser, it is useful for certain situations, like a sensitive web search on a health condition.