Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-14-2014, 11:30 AM   #151
The Jackal
Coordinator

Wonder where Kevin Hayes is going to end up. If he doesn't sign with the Hawks by 8/15 (and it seems like he doesn't intend to) he becomes a UFA.

I don't see a trade for his rights happening because the Hawks get a 2nd round pick if he leaves. I think the Flyers could certainly open up a top six winger spot...
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #152
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:16 PM   #153
The Jackal
Coordinator

That's pretty cool.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:30 AM   #154
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Caps d-man Conner Carrick:

Quote:
"There’s just a strength that comes with having kids and drinking beer and those kind of things. These guys have it and I try to compete with it."
Old 08-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #155
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

72M for Subban... cant say thats a bad deal

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:06 PM   #156
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Did anyone catch the story about Patrick Kane showing up at a beer league game in Buffalo? » Patrick Kane Showed Up At A Beer League Hockey Game In Buffalo Last Night And Dominated Barstool Sports – Chicago

(PS - Get Vinny Scarsella a training camp invite!)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:51 PM   #157
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Paul Bissonette is awesome. Although I wish he hadn't have done this in speedos.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 08-12-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:53 AM   #158
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Four new NHL expansion teams? Vegas, Seattle, Toronto and Quebec by 2017: Report | Puck Daddy - Yahoo Sports
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:55 AM   #159
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I can't believe Kansas City isn't a #1 destination for a hockey expansion team.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:00 AM   #160
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I don't know if KC can support the Penguins and an expansion team.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:42 AM   #161
Logan
Head Coach

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:51 AM   #162
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I can't believe Kansas City isn't a #1 destination for a hockey expansion team.

Seattle would have to be a clear #1. They embrace soccer, have tons of canadians, large population with disposable income, young fanbase. The only thing holding them back is an arena. Key arena is a dump.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:58 AM   #163
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Seattle would have to be a clear #1. They embrace soccer, have tons of canadians, large population with disposable income, young fanbase. The only thing holding them back is an arena. Key arena is a dump.

Old joke buddy .
Old 09-11-2014, 08:48 AM   #164
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Old joke buddy .

I still have a couple t-shirts I bought. Just some local guy selling $5 shirts with the promise "all proceeds will be forwarded to Lemieux to keep the Penguins here"

One says "Crosby is a Yinzer" (yinzer being a dumb Pittsburgh local)

Another says "Kansas City is for Jagoffs" (jagoff being a jerk, in Pittsburgh-ese)
Old 09-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #165
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

DOLA

Probably the best place to post this

Every year for the past 5 or so seasons, the Penguins have had players hand deliver ticket packages to season ticket holders. The core group - basically guaranteed on the roster - each visit 3 or so houses or businesses.

I got a call earlier this week confirming I'm getting a player visit this year, Monday afternoon.

They don't tell you the player - mainly fear if you get Crosby or Malkin that your entire neighborhood shuts down with traffic. But still exciting.

My son is pretty pumped. Already planning on wearing his mite team jersey, and setting up a net in the driveway
Old 09-11-2014, 08:58 AM   #166
Logan
Head Coach

That's awesome SR!
Old 09-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #167
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

They'll cover it on the local news, which I might make for a few seconds, but I'll definitely share my 15 minutes of fame once they load the visits to the Pens website
Old 09-11-2014, 09:44 AM   #168
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

That's super cool!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:08 AM   #169
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Our visit with Robert Bortuzzo

Yeah...it wasn't Sid or Malkin, but he could not have been more genuine. Sat on the couch, asking my kids about school, hockey, everything. Totally cool guy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140915_STHDelivery_0769_slide.jpg (91.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20140915_STHDelivery_0791-2_slide.jpg (40.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20140915_STHDelivery_0799_slide.jpg (80.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 09-16-2014, 07:09 AM   #170
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

And on a little bit of the video on the team site, from 0:49 - 0:56

Not sure if embed will work, here's the link

http://video.penguins.nhl.com/videoc...0682&catid=912

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 09-16-2014 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:17 AM   #171
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

That's great! I'm sure your son has a memory he will never forget. I still believe that of all sports, hockey players are the most down to earth people.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:21 AM   #172
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
That's great! I'm sure your son has a memory he will never forget. I still believe that of all sports, hockey players are the most down to earth people.

After a couple minutes, it was like my wife and I, my sister, the camera guy and the PR person weren't in the room. Just him and the kids.

Asked my daughter if she plays hockey. She said she dances. He said "That's awesome, too! I bet you can do stuff I can't, eh?"

Which...he said "Eh?" so many times, I found myself saying it the rest of the night. Canadian is contagious.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:42 AM   #173
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

That's really cool...
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:50 AM   #174
Logan
Head Coach

That's really awesome. Do any other teams do something similar?

I have a buddy who has had Rangers seasons in his family for about 45 years. He got to go on the ice once before a game, and besides that, he gets 20% off at the team store.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:58 AM   #175
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That is very cool! Love the pictures

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:14 AM   #176
CraigSca
Pro Starter

That's awesome! I guess there's a new favorite Penguin in your house, eh?

/gratuitous Canadian thrown in there
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:40 AM   #177
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

That's real cool!

For what it's worth, I feel like a lot of us Canadian's are actually losing our "eh's". I don't say it very often anymore, not nearly as much as when I was younger, and I don't notice many of the people I interact with using it much either.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 09-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #178
MacroGuru
Coordinator

First off, that is awesome SR! Memory of a lifetime for the kids and it probably sealed them as Penguins fans for life!

Quote:

I know the Sabres do and the Pegula's join the players in handing out the tickets as well.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:08 PM   #179
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

We had practice last night, about 3 hours after our visit.

Watching Sam at practice was fantastic...overall, he's middle of the road talent wise. I have no delusions that I've got a future NHLer on my hands. Passing/shooting wise, he's above average. His skating is mediocre. And normally, especially in practices, he's a bit timid (my absolute biggest pet peeve).

In the locker room, I was telling a couple of the dads about our visit, and all the boys are asking him about it.

Last night was the hardest he's skated, by far, at a practice this year. It's weird to say, but the confidence of meeting an NHLer, and the notoriety it gave him among his team, really bloomed last night.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:13 PM   #180
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

I have to wonder why more organizations don't.

Some might have to do with, as has been touched upon here, the persona of the players involved. Hockey players are a different breed. Using NFL players might not have the same effect. MLB might have trouble with the number of Latin players who are uncomfortable in social situations because of the language barrier.

My wife worked at Pittsburgh's Children's hospital for about 8 years. And always talked about how when the Steelers visited, there were 1-2 really outgoing guys, and about 6-7 who showed up, went through the motions, and put in their time long enough to get out.

When the Penguins showed up, total opposite. Sure there were always maybe 1-2 guys who were more aloof (notably, she said, the year she started, Jagr), but always more genuine with the kids than any other group that came in.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:43 AM   #181
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Awkward

Selanne offers harsh criticism of Boudreau’s handling of him
Old 09-18-2014, 11:56 AM   #182
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post

Yeah I remember seeing a quote from Teemu about how his ice time was being handled that struck me as surprisingly blunt at the time.. but it makes even more sense now.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #183
bhlloy
Coordinator

Picking my words very carefully as he's obviously one of my favorite players of all time, but he showed nothing to deserve the extra ice time last year and I am firmly on Boudreau's side on this one. Like the Brodeur situation anyone else would have been out of the league after 20 games based on performance.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:59 AM   #184
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Ooof

Jordan Staal breaks leg in Hurricanes preseason game

...and Ooof

Rangers' Stepan out with broken fibula
Old 09-24-2014, 12:35 PM   #185
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Nice to see Marc Savard healthy enough to start scouting for a minor league team.

That said, it reminds me how dumb LITR is. Everyone knows we'll sign Krug/Smith once he's put on it, but they have to miss training camp and the preseason. And trading a Kelly/McQuaid before then might not even make sense, since we want to be as close as possible to the salary cap limit on Day 2 of the regular season.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 09-24-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #186
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Nice to see Marc Savard healthy enough to start scouting for a minor league team.

That said, it reminds me how dumb LITR is. Everyone knows we'll sign Krug/Smith once he's put on it, but they have to miss training camp and the preseason. And trading a Kelly/McQuaid before then might not even make sense, since we want to be as close as possible to the salary cap limit on Day 2 of the regular season.

There are ways around it. Penguins have done this before, manipulating the roster by sending guy down to ECHL (Pens ECHL team is in Wheeling WV, an hour away, as opposed to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, 6 hours away) to recoup as much as possible against LTIR.

The bigger issue about how silly it is that he can be place on LTIR as a player, then accept a scouting position at the same time.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:17 PM   #187
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

DOLA found the example, from last season. Bruins did it as well last year

HOW DOES LONG-TERM-INJURED RESERVE (LTIR) WORK?

Quote:
The Pittsburgh Penguins followed Option 2. The upper limit was $64.3M and the Penguins’ Averaged Club Salary or cap payroll on the final day of training camp was $65,990,000, which included a healthy Beau Bennett ($990K cap hit) and an injured Tomas Vokoun ($2M cap hit). Rather than simply place Vokoun on LTIR, a move that would have left them with no cap space and a new upper limit of $65,990,000, they demoted Bennett and recalled Harrison Ruopp ($650,833 cap hit) and Chris Conner ($550K cap hit), two players with an aggregate Averaged Amount totalling $1,200,833. That increased their Averaged Club Salary to $66,290,833 — $1,990,833 above the upper limit or almost exactly the $2M cap hit of Vokoun. Only then did they place Vokoun on LTIR, leaving the Penguins with an upper limit of $66,290,833 for the duration of the LTIR designations. The Penguins recalled Bennett and demoted Ruopp and Conner the next day, bringing their Averaged Club Salary back down to $65,990,000, while leaving them with the flexibility to add $300,833 in Averaged Amounts, space created by the one-day swap of Bennett for Ruopp and Conner.

Quote:
The Boston Bruins followed Option 1. The upper limit was $64.3M and the Bruins’ Averaged Club Salary or cap payroll on the final day of training camp was $66,086,309, including healthy Dougie Hamilton ($894,167 cap hit) and Torey Krug ($916,667 cap hit) — whose aggregate Averaged Amount was $1,810,834 — and injured Marc Savard ($4,027,143 cap hit). Rather than simply place Savard on LTIR, a move that would have left them with no cap space and a new upper limit of $66,086,309, the Bruins demoted Hamilton and Krug on the final day of training camp, reducing their Averaged Club Salary from $66,086,309 to $64,275,475 — just $24,525 under the upper limit. Only then did the Bruins place Savard on LTIR, giving them a new upper limit of $68,302,618. The Bruins then recalled Hamilton and Krug and included them on their opening-day roster, bringing their Averaged Club Salary back up to $66,086,309, with the flexibility to add $2,216,309 more in Averaged Amounts, cap space that would not have existed without the one-day demotion of Hamilton and Krug. It’s important to note that the Bruins had performance bonuses exceeding the bonus cushion that reduces the figures listed in this example, but they are ignored for ease of understanding the example.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:37 PM   #188
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
There are ways around it. Penguins have done this before, manipulating the roster by sending guy down to ECHL (Pens ECHL team is in Wheeling WV, an hour away, as opposed to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, 6 hours away) to recoup as much as possible against LTIR.

The bigger issue about how silly it is that he can be place on LTIR as a player, then accept a scouting position at the same time.
Exactly. We'll do paper moves and manipulate who's in Providence so we're as close as possible to the salary cap limit on opening night... Then put Savard on LTIR to open up 4 million, then recall players/sign Krug/Smith the next day. Instead of just being able to put Savard on LTIR now, and have that $4 million available without the need for shenanigans.

Not sure why you'd be opposed to him working in a non-athletic capacity for an organization with no ties to the Bruins. Players are allowed to have part-time jobs (spokesman, etc) as long as it doesn't interfere with their playing or risk injury. (I'm also pretty sure it'd be terrible PR to be seen as being petty or telling someone who lost an NHL career due to concussions what he can or can not do in his ample spare time. And its not like the Bruins want him to retire - that'd actually mess up our cap even more!)
Old 09-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #189
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Not sure why you'd be opposed to him working in a non-athletic capacity for an organization with no ties to the Bruins. Players are allowed to have part-time jobs (spokesman, etc) as long as it doesn't interfere with their playing or risk injury. (I'm also pretty sure it'd be terrible PR to be seen as being petty or telling someone who lost an NHL career due to concussions what he can or can not do in his ample spare time. And its not like the Bruins want him to retire - that'd actually mess up our cap even more!)

I understand why the team (avoid cap disaster) and player (receive salary) want to remain "active" and under contract. Because of the guaranteed $, it's beneficial for both sides. More annoying the NHL didn't forsee this and put in a provision to allow career-ending injuries to be removed from the books. Right now, team and league doctors give the thumbs up to the LTIR status, so wouldn't be any different. Player gets a settlement, team gets out from under remaining contract. That $4m for the Bruins is already available.

And I'll add they can have part time gigs outside of the organization. I'm sure the Bruins did their due diligence on this, but assume he's scouting for no salary? Otherwise I think the NHL would look into that as some sort of circumvention. It's why the Penguins can't call Crosby a player/team president, and pay him $1m as a player, and $10m as an executive
Old 09-24-2014, 02:12 PM   #190
The Jackal
Coordinator

This is a good article as well, Flyers have been dealing with this for a few years now with Pronger:

How the Flyers can maximize their salary cap space - Broad Street Hockey
Old 09-24-2014, 03:37 PM   #191
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I understand why the team (avoid cap disaster) and player (receive salary) want to remain "active" and under contract. Because of the guaranteed $, it's beneficial for both sides. More annoying the NHL didn't forsee this and put in a provision to allow career-ending injuries to be removed from the books. Right now, team and league doctors give the thumbs up to the LTIR status, so wouldn't be any different. Player gets a settlement, team gets out from under remaining contract. That $4m for the Bruins is already available.

And I'll add they can have part time gigs outside of the organization. I'm sure the Bruins did their due diligence on this, but assume he's scouting for no salary? Otherwise I think the NHL would look into that as some sort of circumvention. It's why the Penguins can't call Crosby a player/team president, and pay him $1m as a player, and $10m as an executive
100% agreed on the first part - this should be an easy fix in the next CBA, but who knows if they'll remember to do it.

No idea if Savard is getting paid, but don't see why it would matter. He's not scouting for the Bruins organization, but an OHL team. That's no different IMO than a player working for a law firm, or a TSN, or getting paid to coach youth kids in the summer.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:07 AM   #192
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I didn't realize Trotz is the first coach with NHL head coaching experience hired by the Caps since 1997.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #193
MikeVic
Head Coach

Can someone explain teh Jets placing Budaj on waivers to me? Is this some weird NHL waivers/trade thing? The Jets would get a compensatory pick if Budaj is claimed, OR they get him in the minors? Either way, seems kinda weird to just trade for him over the weekend and now do this?
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nhl/1497/peter-budaj
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:28 PM   #194
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Can someone explain teh Jets placing Budaj on waivers to me? Is this some weird NHL waivers/trade thing? The Jets would get a compensatory pick if Budaj is claimed, OR they get him in the minors? Either way, seems kinda weird to just trade for him over the weekend and now do this?
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nhl/1497/peter-budaj

I assume they just wanted an experienced vet in the system. If Hutch falls on his face at the NHL level they can call up Budaj. In the meantime he is apparently a great guy so he can mentor Helly down on the rock and be there as insurance for them too. And if someone picks him off waivers on the way down (probably unlikely), that's not a huge concern either, since they only gave up Tangradi for him and Tangradi was clearly going nowhere in this organization.