Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-26-2016, 05:12 AM   #101
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

That was a really sad story. F-ing nutjob came into her house with flowers and a gun and shot her dead. The show couldn't go on...
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:18 AM   #102
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
That was a really sad story. F-ing nutjob came into her house with flowers and a gun and shot her dead. The show couldn't go on...

Actually
Quote:
CBS announced the series' cancellation in May 1988, leaving 12 episodes of the second season unaired.

Schaffer was killed more than a year later, July 18, 1989, after filming both a theatrical film and a TV movie.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-26-2016 at 05:18 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:20 AM   #103
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

huh didn't know that...I actually never watched a single episode.

I knew she was up for a role in GOdfather III when it happened.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:49 AM   #104
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I watched My Sister Sam regularly. It wasn't great, but I liked it. The Rebecca Schaeffer story was huge news at the time. Hopefully nothing like that ever happens again.

Eligibility for Mount Rushmost is evolving. Originally, it was 50 episodes on a broadcast network (97 if it didn't reach the Nielsen top 30 for a year). I want to leave that open for change if people strongly want to consider something else. I've never seen an episode of Shandling, so I don't have a sense for whether it's a serious contender. I figured his Larry Sanders Show would be the test of whether a pay-tv show would be included here (for the '90s). It and Sex and the City had many, many more Emmy nominations.

I will hold to the 30-minute sitcom limitation.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:04 AM   #105
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Just for the stats...

It's Garry Shandling's Show, 4 seasons, 72 episodes, 30 minute sitcom,

In the United States, the series aired on Showtime: The first season aired on Wednesdays and the rest of the series aired on Sundays. It was originally picked up for 6 episodes. After the success of them, Showtime ordered 12 more (although only 10 were produced).
Subsequent seasons had differing numbers of episodes.
To bolster its Sunday night lineup, Fox secured the rights to air reruns of It's Garry's Shandling's Show not long after they aired on Showtime. The reruns aired Sundays on Fox at 9:00–9:30 from March 1988 to July 1989, at 9:30–10:00 in July 1989, at 10:00–10:30 from July to August 1989, and at 10:30–11:00 from August 1989 to March 1990.

Awards and nominations
The show was nominated for four Primetime Emmy Awards. It won five CableACE Awards (three for Best Comedy Series and two for Garry Shandling). It won an American Comedy Award for Funniest Male Performance in a Comedy Series-Cable or Syndicated, and an award for Outstanding Achievement in Comedy in 1988 from the Television Critics Association.

The 30-minute series stars Garry Shandling as, more or less, himself: A neurotic, somewhat self-obsessed stand-up comedian who just happens to be aware he is a TV sitcom character. Garry spends just as much time interacting with the studio audience as he does the regular cast members, offering up opening monologues and show-closing summations of the episode's events (much like George Burns on The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show). However, on Garry's show, all the supporting characters know they are on a TV show, not just Garry; and the studio audience is often in the storyline.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:20 AM   #106
Butter
Coordinator

Man, narrowed it down to these 8, and had a real tough time going down from there...

Cheers (1982-1993), 4.85b, 11, 270, 23.8m
The Cosby Show (1984-1992), 4.52b, 8, 202, 30.5m
The Golden Girls (1986-1992), 3.15b, 7, 180, 21.4m
Family Ties (1982-1989), 2.94b, 7, 168, 28.6m
Newhart (1982-1990), 2.68b, 8, 184, 17.0m
Designing Women (1986-1993), 2.08b, 7, 163, 15.9m
Taxi (1978-1983), 1.62bm 5, 114, 18.6m
WKRP in Cincinnati (1978-1982), 1.16b, 4, 90, 15.8m

In the end, I'll remove Newhart and leave the other 7.

Last edited by Butter : 04-26-2016 at 06:21 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:24 AM   #107
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

As with Fawlty Towers for the 70s, would we not consider Yes, Minister and Blackadder? I know they didn't air on U.S. commercial networks, but all three are considered pretty seminal comedies. I mean, we're going to consider the British version of The Office for the 00s, right?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:26 AM   #108
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Here's my vote:

The Cosby Show (1984-1992), 4.52b, 8, 202, 30.5m
Three's Company (1977-1984), 3.13b, 8, 172, 22.6m
Family Ties (1982-1989), 2.94b, 7, 168, 28.6m
Night Court (1984-1992), 2.77b, 9, 193, 20.3m
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:41 AM   #109
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My 7 for 80s

Three's Company (1977-1984), 3.13b, 8, 172, 22.6m
Night Court (1984-1992), 2.77b, 9, 193, 20.3m
Designing Women (1986-1993), 2.08b, 7, 163, 15.9m
Taxi (1978-1983), 1.62bm 5, 114, 18.6m
Old 04-26-2016, 10:39 AM   #110
rowech
Pro Starter

Cheers, Golden Girls, Family Ties, The Cosby Show, Three's Company, Newhart, and Taxi.

Kills me to not have a spot for Night Court nor WKRP but just not enough room.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:03 PM   #111
Umbrella
High School Varsity

I know you are concentrating on network TV, but I'm another one who thinks It's Garry Shandling's show deserves to be on the list. One of the most brilliant sitcoms ever made. Way ahead of its time.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:19 PM   #112
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

VOTE:
Cheers--A lock
Cosby--I remember when the local TV news would run down the top ten Nielsen rated shows (apparently even back then there was more airtime than news), they played the Cosby Show theme.
The Golden Girls--In an industry that focuses on youth and looks to the point of obsession, it is kind of amazing that one of the best comedies of the decade was four old women. The acting was top notch.
Family Ties—I remember at the time how big of a deal this show was. I can’t say that I’ve thought about it much since, though. I do remember that it was “very special episode” worthy when Mallory was considering losing her virginity. Now you need to have two first cousins almost doing it to make it funny.
Newhart—Had one of the greatest endings of any show ever. A wonderful ensemble cast.
Perfect Strangers—My weakest entry, and it won’t win, and I probably should have picked WKRP, but I wanted to give some recognition to the fact that this show perfectly captures a type of sitcom and humor prevalent in the decade. It may not be a GREAT eighties sitcom. But it is a great EIGHTIES sitcom.
It’s Garry Shandling’s Show—Maybe I’m too into meta-humor, but this show feels like it is still ahead of not just its time, but ahead of the current times.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:23 PM   #113
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Cheers, Golden Girls, Family Ties, The Cosby Show, Three's Company, Newhart, and Taxi.

Kills me to not have a spot for Night Court nor WKRP but just not enough room.

dump the perv
Old 04-26-2016, 01:33 PM   #114
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
As with Fawlty Towers for the 70s, would we not consider Yes, Minister and Blackadder? I know they didn't air on U.S. commercial networks, but all three are considered pretty seminal comedies. I mean, we're going to consider the British version of The Office for the 00s, right?

Let;s just say those will receive honorary awards I so wanted to put Fawlty Towers on my 70s list but with 12 eps there's no way it can be considered.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:36 PM   #115
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I'm toying with the idea of dumping taxi. I loved it in its time but I can't say it made me laugh that much aside from kaufman. More a 70s type of show I think.
Surprised Golden Girls is getting that much support. It wasn't that good.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:43 PM   #116
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
dump the perv

I'm considering that with my own vote. Since this is a Mount Rushmore concept, presumably these sitcoms we're choosing are part of some display of sitcom history. If we look at that display and the memory of Cosby is intertwined with sexual predator, is that a legitimate reason to change the vote?

Since Cosby was a big part of the popularity of Family Ties, even Cheers at first (it was outside of the top 30 and Family Ties was almost 50th when Gimme a Break! was the lead-in for the block) and certainly Night Court, then the block itself is probably well represented anyway.

I'm not sure which way I'll go on this, but I can see subbing Family Ties for Cosby.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:45 PM   #117
thesloppy
Pro Starter

There's a bit of a cultural Golden Girls phenomena. It has significance for some LGBTQ folks, and I dunno how or why but that show filtered through to the younger generation as well. Doesn't do nothing for me either, FWIW.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 04-26-2016 at 01:45 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:25 PM   #118
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
There's a bit of a cultural Golden Girls phenomena. It has significance for some LGBTQ folks, and I dunno how or why but that show filtered through to the younger generation as well. Doesn't do nothing for me either, FWIW.

Popular with women and older people for sure. But that was kinda obvious.
I think it was Estelle Getty that made it so popular with her bitter tongue.
They should have let her swear.

But there are too many other things on this list that made me laugh to include that. Even moreso Designing Women which was the same demographic.

I'm not totally locked in my votes yet. And re: cosby , just speaking from a truly sitcom funny angle, that show became SO unwatchable for years. I think it was when Lisa Bonet came back that they ONLY focused on cuteness.
Was a shame really. because the seasons with the Bobby McFerrin opening (2-3 I think?) was where this show was brilliant.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:28 PM   #119
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Oi...I'm considering getting rid of Three's COmpany too.
I just don't think I should include that many cusp representatives...

And a lot of 3's was pretty stupid
But that was its humor tho.

On the flipside you have Taxi trying to be "too smart"
Old 04-26-2016, 04:36 PM   #120
Suicane75
Coordinator

My favorite episode of Three's Company is the one with the big misunderstanding.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:09 PM   #121
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I think it was Estelle Getty that made it so popular with her bitter tongue.
They should have let her swear.

And Blanche got over pretty good in the South ('cause we all knew her)
Old 04-26-2016, 06:39 PM   #122
Suicane75
Coordinator

My thoughts,

Cheers: Easy #1 on my list. Great writing, great performances. I'm not sure there's another show in history like it. Any given episode could be carried by one of the six leads and nothing would suffer. Longevity, cast changes, nothing diminished its quality.

The Cosby Show: Recent revelations aside, this was a very good show for a short period, and it was certainly groundbreaking. I think it could make a case for getting on my list, but probably wont.

Alice: Watched this religiously as a kid, and couldn't tell you a thing about a specific episode or moment. I know I enjoyed Vic Tabek and probably said "kiss my grits" a lot as a kid, but other than that, it left absolutely no mark on me. Watched reruns for a spell and it pretty much confirmed my initial analysis.

The Golden Girls: This one is weird. It's so out of the target zone for most of us, a show about 4 geriatric women, but it is really good. I don't think I ever went out of my way to watch it, but when I did watch it, it was really good, almost always. Probably has a shot at getting on my list.

Three's Company: I realize what everyone says, and it's true. It was silly, it did go downhill, but at the same time, I could rewatch it over and over and probably have seen most episodes dozens of times. Physical comedy tends not to age, so I think it holds up really. To me it's like The Three Stooges, yeah you know what's about to happen, but it's still funny as hell. Also think the supporting cast was quality as heck. Maybe Joyce DeWitt wasn't a great actress or maybe she got type cast by the show, or maybe she was just a headache, but she really doesn't get enough love for basically being the anchor of the show. Hot girls, skimpy outfits, absurd situations, pratfalls galore, set in an era that evokes mostly good memories. I think I talked myself into this going on my list.

Who's the Boss: I liked it as a kid, I liked it in reruns. I'm not sure it has the staying power as there are very things about that stand out in retrospect and I have a feeling it was probably too serious to be remembered as a great comedy. I give it respect, but it's probably not cracking my list.

Family Ties: Strong contender for my list. Although almost all of the memorable moments from the show aren't comedic. It definately morphed into the Micheal J Fox show after a point, but he was frigging great, so I don't see the problem. The writing and the acting were all top notch for the the entire run of the series.

Night Court: It makes my list. It's peak was on par with Cheers, which made Thursdays from 9 to 10 my favorite hour of the week for about 4 years running. It did get hideously bad at the end though. Anderson & Laroquette were the perfect foils for each other, and the rest of the cast, after a year or two of trial and error, blended perfectly. And Markie Post. Come on.

Newhart: I can't put it on my list because I never watched it to any degree that I feel qualified to judge it. It just never captured me enough to want to invest my time. I've been watching a lot of The Bob Newhart Show and one of the problems I'm having with it is that it feels like he's being overshadowed by weak supporting players. I think I had the same problem whenever I've tried to watch Newhart. I love Bob Newhart as a comedian and a humorist, but I tend to fade out whenever anything or anyone else becomes the focus.

The Facts of Life: This is a tough one for me. I watched it religiously as a kid, both in syndication and first run. I think it's a really good show, but I haven't seen it in forever. It's on the cusp of my list. Plus Nancy McKeon was one of my first crushes. Knee socks, oh my.

Growing Pains: Watched it for it's entire run and liked it, but it honestly left no lasting impression or indelible mark on me. Cast was probably underrated though. I could write the same exact thing about Mr. Belvedere.

Diff'rent Strokes: Probably going on my list. Likely doesn't hold up as well as a show that makes my list should, but as a kid, I just thought it was awesome. The special episodes were always good, it was always funny, and as long as Kimberly wasn't given too much to do, I enjoyed almost every episode.

Designing Women: Never watched it's first run, have a few seasons on DVD, it's good, but fairly dated. Cast is very strong but it suffers from a lot of the Bloodworth/Thomason shows in that even if I agreed with what they were trying to say, they always came across as heavy handed and thinking they were much funnier than they were.

Benson: Never watched enough of it. It's a lot like Newhart in that I love Guillame, but the supporting cast always made me tune out.

Webster: Was one of my favorite shows for a season or two, but it doesn't have the longevity or quality to deserve being on my list.

Kate and Allie: Never watched it. Always thought they were lesbians.

Too Close for Comfort: Hot sisters who looked nothing alike, Ted Knight and a cow puppet, Jim J Bullock being so gay that even though I didn't really know what gay was, I knew he was sooooooo gay. What's not to love? OK, it's not making my list and it probably isn't any good, but I loved it. Sue me.

Archie Bunker's Place: Watched, thought it was good, but it suffers from being the remnants of something better. Not gonna make my list.

Head of the Class: Who wasn't in love with Simone? WHO? I really liked this show. Even rewatching it I think there's a lot of quality here, both Hessman and Connolly versions. The cast was big enough and strong enough overall to hide some clunkers and I thought it preached without being too preachy. Likely isn't going on my list, but I think it's a show that gets brushed aside too easily.

Taxi: Was just before my time, and I never watched it much in syndication. What I have seen of it is quality, but the tone is so weird. It's not really something you want to sit down and watch if you just want laughs, but it's not a drama either. I understand why people love it but I can't justify putting it on my list. Also was Judd Hirsch really a sex symbol? Really? Even on Dear John he's sort of portrayed that way. I don't get it.

Perfect Strangers: Loved it, loved it, loved it. Catch phrases, amazing physical comedy, two leads who worked so well together. Writing was quality cornball. I have not seen much of it since it's first run and I know it wasn't groundbreaking or anything, but for sheer laughs, it ranks very highly. Probably comes closer to making my list than I'd have initially suspected.

227: Liked it, Jackie was funny, thought the father was great, but it was nothing that left it's mark.

Gimme a Break!: I know I liked it at the time, but it's not like it made a lasting impression.

Amen: I'm sensing a theme here. I probably liked this more than most shows I have no desire to ever watch again, the cast was awesome but it was an old persons comedy. Luckily I never had a date on Saturday night so I appreciate all these shows, but they were what they were, good, but not great.

Valerie/The Hogan Family: Watched it, liked it, no resonance.

ALF: For a year I thought this was the greatest thing ever. Then I liked it. Then...it's a puppet. Has a slight cultural significance I think, but mostly it's just a symbol of, wtf was going on in the 80's?

Mork and Mindy: I know I saw a lot of this as a kid because my mom loved it. She too may have been doing a lot of cocaine at the time.

Silver Spoons: A rich kid with a train in his fucking living room and Erin Gray constantly hanging around looking finer than should be allowed by law. I actually re watched the first season a year or two ago and it's OK. Not making my list but I think I'd rather watch this than something pedestrian like Growing Pains or...

Mr. Belvedere:
See Growing Pains.

WKRP in Cincinnati: I think this deserves to be on my list, but I've never seen enough of it in coherent order to really assess its quality. What I have seen I've really liked. This and Newhart are probably the only shows on the list I feel like I should see more of before making a real judgement. I probably wont though, so I doubt it makes it.

It's Gary Shandlings Show:
If it ends up being allowed, and I see no reason why it shouldn't be as I think it has a decent chance of making Rushmore, will assuredly be on my list.

9 to 5, My Two Dads, House Calls, The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd, My Sister Sam

Only show of these I ever saw was My Two Dads and I liked it, but it's not making my list. I think I liked just about everything I saw in the 80's.

One other show, which was basically a syndication deal that I think deserves mention, though it isn't gonna make anyones list, is It's A Living. 5 Good looking waitresses, including a young Crystal Bernard, a smarmy lounge singer, a bitch boss. I never passed up a viewing.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 04-26-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:04 PM   #123
cuervo72
Head Coach

Heh. I knew Suicane would come through with the It's A Living mention.

Another Showtime show which isn't top seven but probably deserves to be mentioned as much as some of the others: Brothers. Lasted for 115 episodes. I think my dad liked watching it primarily because it was set in Philly.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:23 PM   #124
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Ann Jillian crush!
Old 04-26-2016, 07:27 PM   #125
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ann Jillian crush!

(eventually) Crystal Bernard beats Wendy Schall who beats Ann Jillian

edit to add: and Barrie Youngfellow belongs in there somewhere, at least at her peak

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-26-2016 at 07:31 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:32 PM   #126
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I sense a push for Wings in the future.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:36 PM   #127
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I sense a push for Wings in the future.

Can I just opt for {cough} pushing Crystal Bernard instead?
Old 04-26-2016, 07:39 PM   #128
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

This coming from a guy who voted for both Golden Girls AND Designing Women *snicker*.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:43 PM   #129
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This coming from a guy who voted for both Golden Girls AND Designing Women *snicker*.

Shows man, SHOWS.

Whole diff deal if we start a Rushmore of sitcom hotness.

Though I did have a longstanding thing for Kristy McNichol (yeah yeah, futile to the max I know) ... and she was in Empty Nest which was spun off from Golden Girls.

And that's about as much connection to sitcom hotness as GG is gonna find I think.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:45 PM   #130
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Barrie Youngfellow belongs in there somewhere, at least at her peak

Good god yes. Don't want this to devolve into HoN but sweet lord, whenever she showed up as a guest star somewhere, it was good times.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:46 PM   #131
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Good god yes. Don't want this to devolve into HoN but sweet lord, whenever she showed up as a guest star somewhere, it was good times.

I distinctly remember that little black choker thing that was part of her waitress uniform on It's A Living. She wore that outfit better than anybody on the show.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:46 PM   #132
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Heh. I knew Suicane would come through with the It's A Living mention.

Another Showtime show which isn't top seven but probably deserves to be mentioned as much as some of the others: Brothers. Lasted for 115 episodes. I think my dad liked watching it primarily because it was set in Philly.

I don't remember much about Brothers, but my best friend at the time had Showtime and swore by it.

Crap. Kids In The Hall. Not a sitcom I guess, but it deserves a mention I think.

Edit: It ran from 88-94 so it's not 80's anyway, but I'm wondering if it deserves eligibility for the 90's.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 04-26-2016 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:49 PM   #133
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I distinctly remember that little black choker thing that was part of her waitress uniform on It's A Living. She wore that outfit better than anybody on the show.

Dude. Duuuuudde. I've looked and looked for that show on YouTube, torrents. Can't find it anywhere but I think I could easily binge watch it and still enjoy it.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:55 PM   #134
Suicane75
Coordinator

Daily Motion. Crap, don't know why I never looked there before. Welp, I know what I'm doing tonight.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:45 PM   #135
kcchief19
Pro Starter

My first pass only narrowed this down to 15, and cutting to seven really meant some hard choices. The first five were no-brainers, five were sentimental choices. That left five shows for the final two slots. I'm reserving the right to flip my last two choices, and my be lobbied successfully.

Cheers. Slam dunk. Toss up for me with Seinfeld as best sitcom of all time. First season was a bit rough and stilted, but when this show got hot it was terrific. There is really only one clunker in the show's Golden Era (The Diane Years), and that was "Coach in Love." No show in the '80s had as deep of a cast and the writing was almost always great and regularly exceptional. If I could only watch one season of a TV show the rest of my life, it would be season 5. The show didn't jump the shark until Sam and Rebecca tried to have a baby.

The Cosby Show. Yes, it's now banished from TV, but it's one of the most groundbreaking TV shows of all time for many different reasons. The Cosbys were arguably the first successful, normal black family on TV, and (for better or worse) you don't get dozens of standup comics turned sitcom parents over the next decade without Cosby. Cosby single-handedly saved NBC, created Must-See TV and ensured an audience for Family Ties, Cheers, Night Court and NBC's Thursday night shows for a decade. Writing was ordinary, cast was lovable but not spectacular. Cosby was the show, and he was at his peak.

Night Court. A bit of a sentimental pick, but I argue Night Court is one of the most underrated sitcoms of all time. First, Night Court thrived in the fourth sitcom slot on Thursday nights when dozens of shows died in the time slot after Night Court moved. It was a tribute to the show that NBC felt it could plug Night Court in any timeslot on the schedule and it would work. The writing was both weird and exceptional. John Laroquette turned in one of the greatest sitcom acting performances of all time. Harry Anderson is a greatly underrated sitcom star, and this is his best work. The show thrived despite constant turnover, with Anderson, Laroquette and Richard Moll anchoring the heartbeat of the show. The last season was awful, mostly because NBC cancelled the show during the next to last season, only giving the show a last-minute reprieve. Unfortunately, the writers were setting up the show for conclusion and had to write themselves out of a mess. Some of the best guest star characters of all time with Brent Spiner, John Astin and Yakov Smirnoff, not to mention the great Mel Torme.

WKRP in Cincinnati.
Another somewhat sentimental pick, although WKRP gets a couple of big bonus points for me. First is that the Thanksgiving episode ("Turkeys Away") is a classic, and has arguable one of the five greatest scenes in a sitcom in TV history. Another is that WKRP may have had one of the best first seasons in TV history. Many great shows (including M*A*S*H, Cheers and Seinfeld) have very uneven first seasons and don't really start to cook until seasons three or four. WKRP knew what it was from the beginning. The pilot was terrific. "Turkeys Away" was the seventh episode. "Hoodlum Rock," another fantastic episode, was the fourth episode. As a workplace sitcom, WKRP also nailed it. My first job was in radio, and I saw a lot of WKRP in my station. I've talked to other radio people who feel the same way.

The Golden Girls. Not necessarily my favorite show of all time, but it was solidly written with a terrific cast. It was groundbreaking for both the gender of its cast as well as the age of its cast. The show also holds up exceptional well. 20 years ago it seemed M*A*S*H was on somewhere 24 hours a day. 10 years ago it was The Cosby Show. Now it's "The Golden Girls."

Newhart. Many of the same things I said about the "Bob Newhart Show" apply here too. A generally great cast anchored by a true comic genius. I still run into people who say, "I'm Larry, this is my brother Darrell and this is my other brother Darrell." The finale is one of the greatest endings to a show of all time.

Taxi. This was a very uneven show for me. When it was great, it was great. It has some clunkers, and I'm not sure it has aged terribly well. The cast was terrific and carried the show. The show dealt with a lot of tough topics and handled them extremely well.

First Three Out:

Benson. Corny at times and not as "smart" as "Soap," I still liked "Benson" better. Robert Guillaume is a terrific actor and completely owned this show. A decent supporting cast -- Rene Auberjonois and Inga Swenson were terrific foils. Maybe a little immature at time -- hey, I was a kid in the '90s! -- but a very enjoyable show.

Family Ties.
Before Jim closes the voting, this may sneak in and knock someone out. Great premise executed exceptional well. Was a pioneer of the '80s "very special episode" and did it better than anyone else. Knew how to use guest stars and make them work. And turning Michael J. Fox into a superstar is a great legacy.

Kate and Allie. I feel like I should put this show on the list but can't quite pull the trigger. Susan St. James and Jane Curtain were absolutely terrific, which overcame the fact that this show didn't have a premise that should have been a hook for me. At end of the day, it just doesn't quite standout to me memorably to deserve a spot in the HOF.

Sentimental Choices:
Head of the Class. I was in a high school honors program when this show was on, so it rang true for me. I've always loved Howard Hesseman, and he was terrific in this show. Robin Givens was a breakout star. although my crush as on Khrystyne Haje, Who would have figured that Brian Robbins and Dan Schneider would become media moguls? The cast changeover didn't work, but Billy Connolly was awesome.

Mork and Mindy. I don't know if Robin Williams' addictions made this show better or worse. It's highs were extraordinary, no pun intended. But there was no writing, and the plots that existed were terrible. The entire show was built around Williams' improving and Pam Dawber trying not to break. A funny actor in a pretty bad show.

Silver Spoons. My sentimental favorite of NBC's '80s kids shows, mostly because I've been in love with Erin Gray since "Buck Rodgers." Pretty funny show, I think it was better than "Diff'rent Strokes" and on par with "Facts of Live." Not a HOF show, but one of my childhood faves.

Mr. Belvedere. Another unremarkable show, but Bob Uecker cracked me up. I loved the fact that he didn't really know how to act and just kind of phoned his way through it. If you told me he was drunk most of the time, it wouldn't surprise me. I wouldn't watch it today, but it was must-see Friday night TV for me.

My Sister Sam. A memorial tribute to Rebecca Shaeffer. I really liked this show, and still remember where I was when I learned Schaeffer had been murdered. She was an up-and-coming talent.

One note and observation: It fits with Jim's guidelines, but in retrospect I'm stunned "The Wonder Years" is a '90s show and not '80s. It seems like a quintessential '80s show, but most of its run was in the '90s. Weird

Last edited by kcchief19 : 04-29-2016 at 09:36 PM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:53 PM   #136
Suicane75
Coordinator

Love your write up Chief. Much more analytical than I could ever be. The Night Court guest cast was really amazing. I'm not sure I ever laughed as hard as when Brent Spinner and his unfortunate family would show up.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:58 PM   #137
Suicane75
Coordinator

Not germane to the voting process, but who remembers this
MADAME'S PLACE - YouTube

I had not until a friend sent me the link a year or two ago. Again, a lot of drugs being done in the 80's. It make Small Wonder look normal in comparison.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:03 PM   #138
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Night Court had its moments, but I wonder if it would have lasted without its lead-in. John Larroquette deserved his many awards.

Taxi won a lot of acclaim, and was brilliantly acted - a throwback to shows a decade earlier. I just had trouble liking it. Would the whole Latka/Simka thing work, or was it just a catch-phrasey mess? Who would work for Louie? Would the constant harassment of Nardo date the show too much? It didn't last long in rerun.
On Night Court, I'd argue that it was definitely not a time slot hit. The lineup of Cosby, Family Ties, Cheers and Night Court was the best four-hour block NBC ever had. Once they moved Night Court from 9:30, they didn't have another hit in the slot until Veronica's Closet ... AND that was a timeslot hit. I think a test pattern would have ranked No. 7 in the weekly ratings following Seinfeld. NBC jerked Night Court around during its last four seasons because it did have an audience and wanted to try and find another hit. I don't think they did until, of all things, "Just Shoot Me."

On "Taxi," you've summed up my thoughts eloquently. Critics loved it, the cast was terrific ... I just have a hard time liking it. I can't quite explain it, but I could never get into it. And I love almost everybody involved in the show, both on camera and behind the scenes.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:20 PM   #139
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Solecismic, I think we need a ruling from you. I get the feeling that people won't vote for something unless it is on your list as some have pretty much said that.

Are we allowing It's Garry Shandling Show to be an official contender?
And if not what are the rules that keep it out.

Cable was new at the time as was the FOX station, which this was a show that was on both. Syndication was also a thing....which is how It's a Living lived.
If shandling doesn't live because of the cable thing then a lot of 00's and 10's hits die too.

But anyway, I think we need a final word from you.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:29 PM   #140
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Not germane to the voting process, but who remembers this
MADAME'S PLACE - YouTube

I had not until a friend sent me the link a year or two ago. Again, a lot of drugs being done in the 80's. It make Small Wonder look normal in comparison.

Yeah, that show was terrifying. I remember thinking I might like it as a kid, because puppets, but no.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:55 PM   #141
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Solecismic, I think we need a ruling from you. I get the feeling that people won't vote for something unless it is on your list as some have pretty much said that.

Are we allowing It's Garry Shandling Show to be an official contender?
And if not what are the rules that keep it out.

Cable was new at the time as was the FOX station, which this was a show that was on both. Syndication was also a thing....which is how It's a Living lived.
If shandling doesn't live because of the cable thing then a lot of 00's and 10's hits die too.

But anyway, I think we need a final word from you.

I thought I gave it already. It's up to you guys. As long as it's a half-hour sitcom and it fits into the right decade based on the algorithm I outlined, I will count the votes. So a specific yes on this question.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:19 PM   #142
Warhammer
Pro Starter

In no particular order:

The Cosby Show
Cheers
Newhart
Night Court
The Golden Girls
WKRP
Benson
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:25 PM   #143
Suicane75
Coordinator

Digging the Night Court love. It's usually not spoken of in the realm of a lot of the other shows making these lists. I always felt like I was on an island in my fondness for it.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:29 PM   #144
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
In no particular order:

The Cosby Show
Cheers
Newhart
Night Court
The Golden Girls
WKRP
Benson

yay some Benson love!
It's in my middle group of loves.

Benson
Perfect Strangers (yay for albion listing it)
Golden Girls
Facts of Life
Alice
Family Ties
Mork and Mindy

That's all my middle group.
Had stuff in it that was brilliant but during its length did it last?
Did it have obvious holes in its cast?

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 04-26-2016 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:30 PM   #145
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Digging the Night Court love. It's usually not spoken of in the realm of a lot of the other shows making these lists. I always felt like I was on an island in my fondness for it.

That whole night kinda went like...
Cosby was the kids choice
Family Ties was the teen choice
Cheers was the adult choice

Now for you smart people that like great comedy...here's Night Court
Old 04-26-2016, 11:33 PM   #146
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Taxi was dated. VERY VERY dated. That's what I think about it.
It's like existentialism. Just drifting around in a cab thinking about life.

Laughs came from Louie and Latka mostly.
It's fading for me. I don't find watching it entertaining nowadays...while I can watch MASH and Cheers with no problem.
One of it and THree's company might bite the dust for me.
Want to add more love to others that actually made me laugh.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 04-26-2016 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:49 PM   #147
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post

WKRP in Cincinnati. As a workplace sitcom, WKRP also nailed it. My first job was in radio, and I saw a lot of WKRP in my station. I've talked to other radio people who feel the same way.

+1.

Quote:
Benson. Might be just a cut below HOF level.

Was among my last two cuts.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:56 AM   #148
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
One other show, which was basically a syndication deal that I think deserves mention, though it isn't gonna make anyones list, is It's A Living. 5 Good looking waitresses, including a young Crystal Bernard, a smarmy lounge singer, a bitch boss. I never passed up a viewing.

So I watched two random episodes on DM and the first featured Micheal Richards as the leader of a group of terrorists, complete with uzis who basically threatened to kill everyone in the restaurant. The second one was a more jovial affair where an unknown stalker sent Crystal Bernards character a letter threatening to rape her. Ummmm. I may have been looking at this through rose colored memory glasses.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:16 AM   #149
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
So I watched two random episodes on DM and the first featured Micheal Richards as the leader of a group of terrorists, complete with uzis who basically threatened to kill everyone in the restaurant. The second one was a more jovial affair where an unknown stalker sent Crystal Bernards character a letter threatening to rape her. Ummmm. I may have been looking at this through rose colored memory glasses.

Did Bob Uecker make light of it and crack stupid jokes about it? Oh wait that's how they wrote for mr belvedere...:P
Old 04-27-2016, 06:02 AM   #150
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

As long as I'm talking about 80s sitcoms that sucked...I have had an 80s theme song in my head since I saw it originally. I had not been able to find it until now. I did indeed happen to watch this turd during the 3 months in '81 it was on.

It is only noteworthy in that Judge Reinhold, Xander Berkeley, and David Letterman all guest starred on it and Bubba Smith was a regular.

Edit: just looked up the creator Jay Tarses (who also played the cop). He had a fine pedigree excluding this. He wrote and produced Molly Dodd, Bob Newhart SHow, Carol Burnett SHow, and several of the muppet movies.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 04-27-2016 at 06:31 AM.