Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-15-2015, 02:40 PM   #2101
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
If the answer is jobs, it's not smart to burn down the businesses in the community.

I'm willing to bet that a large majority of the people in Ferguson who want more jobs were not involved in burning down businesses or shooting cops.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 02:56 PM   #2102
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I'm willing to bet that a large majority of the people in Ferguson who want more jobs were not involved in burning down businesses or shooting cops.

Then they need to do a better job of holding those that are accountable. Ferguson may as well be Chernobyl at this point.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 03:30 PM   #2103
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Then they need to do a better job of holding those that are accountable. Ferguson may as well be Chernobyl at this point.

100% agree. Never circle your wagons around the LCD if you want to move forward. Protection of the working class should be the top priority and cut bait with the rest. To put it very bluntly and unpopularly.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:14 PM   #2104
Kodos
Resident Alien

Old 05-21-2015, 12:25 PM   #2106
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Permanent Michael Brown memorial to be built in Ferguson | FOX2now.com
Old 05-23-2015, 10:01 AM   #2107
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Feel bad for anyone who owns a business in Cleveland.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:19 AM   #2108
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

These people are doing so much damage to their cause and their city in STL. Everyone in STL is totally fed up with the 'riots', 'protests', etc.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:29 AM   #2109
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
These people are doing so much damage to their cause and their city in STL. Everyone in STL is totally fed up with the 'riots', 'protests', etc.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:07 AM   #2110
Dutch
"Dutch"

What do YOU mean, "These People"???
Old 08-11-2015, 11:37 AM   #2111
miami_fan
Coordinator

I thought someone was sending belated Happy Darren Wilson day wishes. So disappointing.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 08-11-2015 at 11:37 AM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:14 PM   #2112
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Like shutting down highway 70 during rush hour? God forbid anyone has to get their kids from daycare. I'm so done with this...
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:36 PM   #2113
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Like shutting down highway 70 during rush hour? God forbid anyone has to get their kids from daycare. I'm so done with this...

Be careful. Disagree with the movement and you are a racist. AGREE with the movement and you are a racist.

This reminds me a lot of the 99 percent movement. There is no clear plan, no clear goals and no comprehension of what has to be done to get there.

I support body cameras and dash cameras for all officers. I support thorough and fair investigations of ALL police shootings. (not just shooting of black people) I support the demilitarization of our police departments.

I do not support violence against police officers. I do not support resisting arrest. I do not support rioting or protester shouting "We are ready for war": I don't support Bernie Sanders getting booed off stage. I don't support people who say "All lives matter" being labeled as douche bags.

If no leadership steps up for this movement, it's going to go from a movement to an annoyance. Which is sad, because there are a lot of positive things a movement like this can do. (even if the face of the movement was a criminal who was shot in self defense.)
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:31 PM   #2114
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Our entire system is broken.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:14 PM   #2115
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post

Because a thug starts shooting and then gets shot? That has nothing to do with the system; there needs to be personal responsibility or there will be no growth.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:20 PM   #2116
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Because a thug starts shooting and then gets shot? That has nothing to do with the system; there needs to be personal responsibility or there will be no growth.

That comment is about the system in general and not targeted at anyone isolated incident.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:14 PM   #2117
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Be careful. Disagree with the movement and you are a racist. AGREE with the movement and you are a racist.

This reminds me a lot of the 99 percent movement. There is no clear plan, no clear goals and no comprehension of what has to be done to get there.

I support body cameras and dash cameras for all officers. I support thorough and fair investigations of ALL police shootings. (not just shooting of black people) I support the demilitarization of our police departments.

I do not support violence against police officers. I do not support resisting arrest. I do not support rioting or protester shouting "We are ready for war": I don't support Bernie Sanders getting booed off stage. I don't support people who say "All lives matter" being labeled as douche bags.

If no leadership steps up for this movement, it's going to go from a movement to an annoyance. Which is sad, because there are a lot of positive things a movement like this can do. (even if the face of the movement was a criminal who was shot in self defense.)

I agree with everything here. I'd add that the people who are stopping traffic don't care about this issue. It's attention seeking behavior from people who don't have the ability to garner attention for real accomplishments. Like a child throwing a tantrum till their parents will look their way.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:53 AM   #2118
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post

It's broke, but lots of things are broke. There is a lot of traction for this movement to actually make a positive difference in the world. Instead, I've watched the thing lose relevance by the second.

It's sad. The system may suck, but the people aren't exactly helping matters.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:39 AM   #2119
BillJasper
Pro Starter

http://okra.stanford.edu/transcripti...630416-019.pdf
Old 08-20-2015, 12:51 PM   #2120
RainMaker
General Manager

Here is something to protest

9-Year-Old Jamyla Bolden Shot to Death in Ferguson : People.com
Old 08-20-2015, 01:13 PM   #2121
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

No they were too busy protesting a crack dealer the police shot. (wish I was kidding)

Quiet start 1 day after fires, tear gas in wake of St. Louis police shooting of teen : News
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:46 PM   #2122
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
No they were too busy protesting a crack dealer the police shot. (wish I was kidding)

Quiet start 1 day after fires, tear gas in wake of St. Louis police shooting of teen : News

Yeah, and nobody seems to question that he pulled a gun on police.

That poor little girl.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:07 PM   #2123
Edward64
Head Coach

I really want there to be a good explanation and/or justification for this but don't think there will be. It's pretty crazy what they said the cop did.

Chicago Releases 'Chilling' Video Of Cop Shooting Teen 16 Times
Quote:
CHICAGO -- City officials on Tuesday released police dashcam video showing an officer shooting teenager Laquan McDonald 16 times, continuing to fire well after the youth falls to the ground. The court-ordered release of the video came hours after authorities charged Officer Jason Van Dyke with first-degree murder in the teen's killing.

Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez described the 2014 video footage as "chilling" during a news conference hours before its release.

“I have no doubt this video will tear at the hearts of all Chicagoans,” Alvarez said.

The video shows McDonald, 17, carrying a small knife and walking away from officers. Van Dyke opens fire from about 10 feet away. McDonald's hand jerks out and his body spins around before he collapses to the ground. Van Dyke keeps shooting for as long as 15 seconds -- even after the teen falls.

The video is dramatically different than the initial police account of the shooting. Chicago police said at the time that McDonald was acting strangely and lunged at police before an officer fired.

Court documents laying out the state's case against Van Dyke say the veteran officer emptied an entire clip of ammunition into the teenager, then attempted to reload
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 03:57 PM   #2124
miked
College Starter

Not just what the cop did, but apparently witnesses were ignored, tapes were deleted, and charges were stalled. Just keep in mind, they settled this thing a month or so after it happened for 5M. Amazing that they weren't going to charge this guy considering his past and that video they've had since the beginning.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:09 PM   #2125
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yep, the fact that 5 police went into a Burger King and deleted footage... I just don't know what to say anymore.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:15 PM   #2126
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Yep, the fact that 5 police went into a Burger King and deleted footage... I just don't know what to say anymore.

I would say those policeman need to be charged with obstruction of justice.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:31 PM   #2127
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I would say those policeman need to be charged with obstruction of justice.

And fired.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:12 PM   #2128
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'd say that's not even harsh enough. You have 5 policemen conspiring together to destroy evidence to get a colleague off a murder charge.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:41 PM   #2129
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
And fired.

The same standards are in place for current officers as they are for the citizens. Felony record? Cant be a cop.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:23 PM   #2130
RainMaker
General Manager

It's Chicago, the city that tortured suspects for years to get false confessions. Police has been corrupt for a long time and needs to be rebooted from the ground up.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:53 AM   #2131
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Yeah, it's Chicago. It'll be something if they're suspended with pay.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:38 AM   #2132
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I really want there to be a good explanation and/or justification for this but don't think there will be. It's pretty crazy what they said the cop did.

Chicago Releases 'Chilling' Video Of Cop Shooting Teen 16 Times

Wow. That video. Just. Wow.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:48 AM   #2133
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

My neighbor is an investigative reporter here in the KC area. She's been digging into a local KC case from a couple years ago where a black man was shot in the Country Club Plaza area by police. She's evidently pissed off police enough that the TV network that she works for has received some nasty tweets from police. It's reached the point now where the family likely has a strong case for a multi-million dollar lawsuit against the police department.

The other day, she went down and requested to view the police report at the police department. The report is 600 pages and the cop that delivered the report acted annoyed and stood behind her while she viewed the report. To spite him, she sat and read the entire 600 page report in one sitting, making sure that he had to stand there for nearly 12 hours.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 11:10 AM   #2134
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
My neighbor is an investigative reporter here in the KC area. She's been digging into a local KC case from a couple years ago where a black man was shot in the Country Club Plaza area by police. She's evidently pissed off police enough that the TV network that she works for has received some nasty tweets from police. It's reached the point now where the family likely has a strong case for a multi-million dollar lawsuit against the police department.

The other day, she went down and requested to view the police report at the police department. The report is 600 pages and the cop that delivered the report acted annoyed and stood behind her while she viewed the report. To spite him, she sat and read the entire 600 page report in one sitting, making sure that he had to stand there for nearly 12 hours.

Who pays for those lawsuits? Waste of taxpayer dollars....once again.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:21 PM   #2135
cuervo72
Head Coach

Well, this one was white anyway.

Video Reportedly Shows Shirtless Bank Robber Killed by Police Near Art Basel in Miami
Old 12-15-2015, 11:16 AM   #2136
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Freddie Gray trial is in jury deliberations Friend of a friend's husband is getting sent in as backup PD from out of state.

Last edited by stevew : 12-15-2015 at 11:18 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:22 AM   #2137
Dutch
"Dutch"

Hopefully all the protesters have pre-arranged time off from work for the big event!
Old 12-15-2015, 02:54 PM   #2138
TroyF
Coordinator

Jurors are saying they are deadlocked.

The jury has 8 black/4 white people on it. I hope to God the split isn't down racial lines.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:59 PM   #2139
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Well nice knowing ya Baltimore
Old 12-15-2015, 03:30 PM   #2140
Dutch
"Dutch"

It's as if a million CVS's all cried out at once...
Old 12-15-2015, 03:58 PM   #2141
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

At least they were smart enough to try one of the black officers first. But apparently the prosecution has effed up the timeline so badly with regard to the medical testimony in order to tailor it to this particular officer that a conviction from an unbiased jury would be difficult.

The defense was smart to want individual trials. The prosecution really should have dropped the charges against some of the officers in response. Then they could have (I think) used subpoenas against those exonerated to firm up the case. Simple facts only - not accusations which make or break the case.

This is an open-and-shut case based on the injuries and the policy of not using seat belts. It becomes less so if you're trying to construct a timeline that works for prosecutions against all six.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:06 PM   #2142
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
It's as if a million CVS's all cried out at once...

I LOLed
Old 12-15-2015, 05:25 PM   #2143
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
At least they were smart enough to try one of the black officers first. But apparently the prosecution has effed up the timeline so badly with regard to the medical testimony in order to tailor it to this particular officer that a conviction from an unbiased jury would be difficult.

The defense was smart to want individual trials. The prosecution really should have dropped the charges against some of the officers in response. Then they could have (I think) used subpoenas against those exonerated to firm up the case. Simple facts only - not accusations which make or break the case.

This is an open-and-shut case based on the injuries and the policy of not using seat belts. It becomes less so if you're trying to construct a timeline that works for prosecutions against all six.

Race has a way of changing in these situations. Zimmerman was white because it suited the cause better. Had Zimmerman been in Freddie Gray's shoes, he would have been reported as hispanic to pump up the outrage. The black officer is simply an "uncle tom." (The guy who was choked out by the cops in NY had a black supervisor there while it was taking place)

Everyone sees these cases so differently. Is it a simple case of police misconduct or is it institutionalized racism?

All I know is that if this officer gets off tomorrow, the black community will not be saying "it was a black officer who got off, guess this is ok" As I said earlier, I just hope the split in the jury isn't 8 to 4. That would be terrible on so many levels.

It shouldn't, but it does stun me that in a high profile case like this, the prosecution can't come up with a decent timeline. That's something they should have had months ago.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:06 PM   #2144
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Everyone sees these cases so differently. Is it a simple case of police misconduct or is it institutionalized racism?

Or is it more than anything a case of where someone did bad things/made bad choices & put themselves in a situation that set the wheels in motion for an unintended & unexpected outcome?

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-15-2015 at 07:06 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:46 PM   #2145
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

The first mistrial is declared. Probably the first of many.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 03:13 PM   #2146
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Anybody seen/heard the jury split on the deadlock?
(wasn't in the couple of articles I saw, I have no idea whether they mention that in open court in Maryland or not)
Old 12-16-2015, 03:43 PM   #2147
QuikSand
lolzcat

Nobody has anything on the jury split yet that I have heard or seen locally.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:20 AM   #2148
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Nobody has anything on the jury split yet that I have heard or seen locally.

Same here, and I honestly hope it stays that way. If it gets released that it was a Black/White split, that would just be pouring gas all over a small fire at the moment and god knows what would happen then. Beyond thankful that things stayed peaceful last night

Last edited by muns : 12-17-2015 at 09:21 AM.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:30 AM   #2149
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
Same here, and I honestly hope it stays that way. If it gets released that it was a Black/White split, that would just be pouring gas all over a small fire at the moment and god knows what would happen then. Beyond thankful that things stayed peaceful last night

I thought this was why they tried the black officer first? I know I am trying to bring logic to a topic that is often illogical but there would really be race riots if "racist" white people acquitted a black officer?

Last edited by panerd : 12-17-2015 at 09:30 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:16 AM   #2150
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I thought this was why they tried the black officer first? I know I am trying to bring logic to a topic that is often illogical but there would really be race riots if "racist" white people acquitted a black officer?

There are 2 reasons he went first (there might be more I don't know about). The first was they have the most evidence against Porter. He did the most talking out of any of the officers charged, and threw the next guy under the bus (the driver).

With the most evidence against him, they thought this would be quick and easy and wanted to use this conviction as a spring board with Momentum into the next trial. The next trial scheduled at the moment is against the driver of the paddy wagon, and the guy porter just threw under the bus in his trial. Mosby went with the domino effect and I don't think race had an anything to do with who went when as far as trial position goes.

Speaking of Mosby, I think she is in for a real rough ride here as the person they were the most confident on just got a mistrial.

Its my opinion she over reached here with the charges, because she wants a major political career, and used her base to do it. Now because of that over reaching, she might have done more harm to the city and its race tensions.

Its just a sad state of affairs here in Baltimore.

Last edited by muns : 12-17-2015 at 10:36 AM.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote