Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-29-2023, 06:22 AM   #26151
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
3rd deer hit in bit more than a year. It sucks driving home at 3am
Ouch. My daughter and her husband was hit by a deer coming home from the in-laws Thanksgiving. I say hit by a deer since it rammed into the side of his SUV.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 11:57 AM   #26152
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I told my sisters I'm only planning on getting Christmas gifts for the kids that arent in college yet. I feel like those kids have kinda aged out. It's also a nice split of 4 college aged, 4 in primary school. At this point it's just gotten too expensive since on 1 kid plays with toys, everyone else is basically gift cards.

It's going about as well as I thought.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 03:51 PM   #26153
Atocep
Coordinator

This is my first year in an official management position for our IT department and it feels weird putting together a spend plan for the upcoming year. $60k for a solid state drive destroyer seems absurd.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 03:54 PM   #26154
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
This is my first year in an official management position for our IT department and it feels weird putting together a spend plan for the upcoming year. $60k for a solid state drive destroyer seems absurd.
I'll do it for $50K and the price of a hammer.
Old 11-29-2023, 03:56 PM   #26155
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I'll do it for $50K and the price of a hammer.

Can you get them to 2mm or less pieces to meet the new-ish DoD/NSA standard?

Basically, I need solid state sand when done.
Old 11-29-2023, 04:13 PM   #26156
GrantDawg

Quote:

You got it, boss. Just get me those bills in non-sequential serial numbers in a black brief case....and no ratting to the IRS.
Old 11-29-2023, 04:31 PM   #26157
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

How about a $100 fire pit from Home Depot, some $10 wood, $5 fire starter, and $3 Bic lighter.

Honestly, $50k seems like a waste.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 09:01 AM   #26158
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Just a friendly reminder that you're all going to die.

Old 11-30-2023, 09:03 AM   #26159
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Using the mortality of rates of 2020? Wouldn't that be a bit skewed?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 11:34 AM   #26160
Ksyrup

What is with all of the commercials with bad singing and attempts to fit as many syllables as possible into a melody? BKs commercials make me want to kill someone. I don't understand why they continue with that BS. We've had multiple of those awful Cologuard commercials - again, why are these a thing?

And now we have the Mission Impossible music commercial (I don't even remember what it's for) with, again, people who can't sing with random lyrics that don't fit the song. And the Verizon (?) caroling song with the woman who looks like what would be produced if I asked ChatGPT to give me a picture of Joan Cusack, mumbling her way through a word salad of unintelligible lyrics.

What gives? Stop this scourge of BS commercials please!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-01-2023, 11:55 AM   #26161
Kodos
Resident Alien

So, in other words, you'd like to have it your way? You rule!
Old 12-01-2023, 12:16 PM   #26162
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
What is with all of the commercials with bad singing and attempts to fit as many syllables as possible into a melody? BKs commercials make me want to kill someone. I don't understand why they continue with that BS.

I think because it works. A BK commercial came on, and I mentioned to my son how annoying I found it, and he agreed but said that all the kids in his scout troop sang it.

"Picture it, Dad. A hour and a half in the van to the campsite, and every five minutes, someone belts out WHOPPER WHOPPER DOUBLE WHOPPER."

I think that ads suck more now b/c what annoys us is what teenagers love, and they are the target audience.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 12:29 PM   #26163
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I think because it works. A BK commercial came on, and I mentioned to my son how annoying I found it, and he agreed but said that all the kids in his scout troop sang it.

"Picture it, Dad. A hour and a half in the van to the campsite, and every five minutes, someone belts out WHOPPER WHOPPER DOUBLE WHOPPER."

I think that ads suck more now b/c what annoys us is what teenagers love, and they are the target audience.
You think our parents got annoyed when we would sing "Plop plop, fizz fizz. Oh what a relief it is!" Over and over again? I remember one week of elementary school that our bus sang that over and over again for a full week to and from school.
We also did a week of "We Will Rock You" chant with the stomps and claps.
Old 12-03-2023, 08:31 AM   #26164
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Been a rough fall for Reds, Bucks, Bengals fans.

And now a 3-2 loss after leading 0-2 for FC Cincy.
Old 12-04-2023, 08:07 AM   #26165
Edward64
Head Coach

re: Kiss and digital avatars

I'm not sure how I really feel about it but think, overall, it's a good thing. A first step for bigger things to come. They should be commercializing this for regular masses.

It'd be pretty powerful to have life-like animation & voices of some no longer here (e.g. holodeck anyone?). I wouldn't want it 24x7 but there are times when I think it'd be neat to have a conversation with X person. The key is to have "real" AI intelligent enough to simulate that conversation in a virtual world.

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-04-2023 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-05-2023, 05:20 PM   #26166
Edward64
Head Coach

For everyone that is getting older and a little forgetful ...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/wasabi-...e-study-finds/
Quote:
The main active component of Japanese wasabi is a biochemical called 6-MSITC, a known antioxidant and anti-inflammatory known to exist in only trace amounts elsewhere throughout the plant kingdom, Nouchi said. The double-blind, randomized study involved 72 healthy subjects, aged 60 to 80. Half of them took 100 milligrams of wasabi extract at bedtime, with the rest receiving a placebo.

After three months, the treated group registered "significant" boosts in two aspects of cognition, working (short-term) memory, and the longer-lasting episodic memory, based on standardized assessments for language skills, concentration and ability to carry out simple tasks. No improvement was seen in other areas of cognition, such as inhibitory control (the ability to stay focused), executive function or processing speed.

Subjects who received the wasabi treatment saw their episodic memory scores jump an average of 18%, Nouchi said, and scored on average 14% higher than the placebo group overall.
Old 12-06-2023, 01:15 AM   #26167
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 08:03 AM   #26168
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I don't get people who constantly file work injury claims. The amount of effort they put into bitching and moaning about their injuries, constant calls and emails, doctor shopping... It's more work than they put into actually working, but for less total money.
Old 12-07-2023, 04:12 PM   #26169
cuervo72
Head Coach

I should have bought that Bootsy Collins action figure I saw at the Target out in Indiana.
Old 12-07-2023, 06:22 PM   #26170
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
I don't get people who constantly file work injury claims. The amount of effort they put into bitching and moaning about their injuries, constant calls and emails, doctor shopping... It's more work than they put into actually working, but for less total money.

Blows my mind too. I’d never pass a drug test so even if I do get hurt I don’t report anything. Maybe one day Indiana will get with the times. Probably still wouldn’t report anything though.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 06:53 PM   #26171
GrantDawg

My wife loves me so much so gave me the flu. We both had the flu shot, and hers was basically a little more than 24 hours of fever and crud, then the fever broke and the crud is still with her. I started getting achy around lunch, and every hour my temperature has risen. Hopefully I will have the same luck as she did and the fever will be over by tomorrow night.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2023, 05:11 PM   #26172
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Old 12-11-2023, 09:15 AM   #26173
Ksyrup

This is a really interesting story that I had not heard of.

Ghosts on the Glacier
Old 12-11-2023, 02:45 PM   #26174
molson
General Manager

People are already lining up in the drive through for Idaho's first In-and-Out Burger place, which opens - tomorrow. They're going to sit their in their cars all night to be the first to get In-and-Out burgers in Idaho

I like In-and-Out, and I also enjoy fun nonsense, but, dang. We do already have burgers in Idaho. They exist. Even better ones ones than you get at In-and-Out.

Word is you'll just need to avoid this part of the area (which happens to be Idaho's busiest intersection), for the next few weeks.

Last edited by molson : 12-11-2023 at 02:46 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 02:50 PM   #26175
cuervo72
Head Coach

There were huge lines for "CosMc's" too (maybe not line up the night before...). As if you couldn't get coffee or fruity drinks (Sonic?) anywhere else either.
Old 12-11-2023, 04:00 PM   #26176
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
People are already lining up in the drive through for Idaho's first In-and-Out Burger place, which opens - tomorrow. They're going to sit their in their cars all night to be the first to get In-and-Out burgers in Idaho

I like In-and-Out, and I also enjoy fun nonsense, but, dang. We do already have burgers in Idaho. They exist. Even better ones ones than you get at In-and-Out.

Word is you'll just need to avoid this part of the area (which happens to be Idaho's busiest intersection), for the next few weeks.

When Oregon opened theirs there were people from the Seattle/Tacoma area driving down to get in line for the opening.

In and Out is good, but I don't think there's a food place that exists I'm waiting hours in line for. We also have a small burger place here locally thats an almost perfect knockoff.
Old 12-11-2023, 06:37 PM   #26177
Ksyrup

Another "you're old" moment from Jeopardy! Category is Music of Canada and they showed a picture of Bryan Adams and the clue was "He ruled the 80s with hits like Cuts Like a Knife" and NOT A SINGLE GUESS.
Old 12-11-2023, 08:11 PM   #26178
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
This is a really interesting story that I had not heard of.

Ghosts on the Glacier

That's a hell of a story. Good find!

My Uncle was big into mountain climbing when I was a kid. Did Rainier in the early 80s, McKinley/Denali in the mid-80s, and attempted Aconcagua in the late 80s when he was nearing 50. Made it to, I think, Camp 1, before deciding he wasn't going to be able to keep it up. It is, as I understand it, deceptively challenging. I still remember the cool slide shows from all those expeditions when I was a kid.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 03:28 PM   #26179
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

I guess it was also a big deal because it was In-and-Out store #400, so it also attracted "tourism" for people whom that kind of thing is a big deal. People waited 5 or 6 hours in the drive through opening day, and said it was really well organized. The store expected that, prepared for that, and organized whatever space they had to have an orderly and efficient systems of winding lanes of cars and cars.

I had no idea this was all such a thing.

Last edited by molson : 12-13-2023 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-14-2023, 02:16 PM   #26180
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I spent about 1/2 hour drafting an email laying out a litigation plan in detail so we can get something resolved. Then I scrapped it all and just asked if they can push to resolve it so we can get it off the books for the end of the year and call when they need guidelines. They weren't going to read it all, no one does, so what was the point when a few words would have the same result.
Old 12-14-2023, 02:49 PM   #26181
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

And now I got an email on a different matter which demonstrates why long ass emails are necessary because an attorney went Leroy Jenkins and got something resolved, but ignored a pretty big detail and now I have to try and fix it.

Fuck.
Old 12-16-2023, 11:46 AM   #26182
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Stretchy Pants is aural terrorism.

https://youtu.be/Eo5ZLdbcZsk?si=R4YPOHZ9XaPLHifj
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 12:50 PM   #26183
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

What's the difference between a stromboli and a calzone?
Old 12-16-2023, 01:08 PM   #26184
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

What Is the Difference Between a Calzone and a Stromboli? - Brooklyn's Best Pizza & Pasta

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 06:53 PM   #26185
miami_fan
Coordinator

I attended my first college volleyball match today and it was for the national championship. I had a really good time and man that atmosphere was amazing! I am not sure I understand the tailgating in the parking lots around the arena for four hours before the match in a steady drizzle. I also am not convinced that a couple of the women don't have concussions after having the other team hammer the ball off their head. But hey, congrats to Texas for winning back to back titles.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 08:35 PM   #26186
Atocep
Coordinator

That doesn't go into the sauce on top vs inside war with calzones.
Old 12-17-2023, 11:08 PM   #26187
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

calzone is like a hot pocket but stromboli is a straight sandwich on french bread or hoagie type roll

the ingrediewnts of both vary from pizza place to pizza place
Old 12-17-2023, 11:10 PM   #26188
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

my favorite sandwich in the whole wide world is the stromboli from pizza king in indiana

it's pizza sausage, mozzerella, tomato paste, onions on ...french bread i think?
baked in the pizza oven
Old 12-18-2023, 06:31 AM   #26189
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
my favorite sandwich in the whole wide world is the stromboli from pizza king in indiana

it's pizza sausage, mozzerella, tomato paste, onions on ...french bread i think?
baked in the pizza oven

Which Pizza King because they are all independently owned and ingredients and menus can vary wildly. For instance, in just a three county area the one in Greenfield only serves pizza, breadsticks and sandwiches. While the one the next county over in Shelbyville is called Cagney’s Pizza King and has both a full bar AND a giant menu. Next county over in Rushville you have what is generally regarded as the best pizza of the bunch(even people from Greenfield will come here for pizza) and while they have a bigger menu than Greenfield they don’t have all the pasta and shrimp dishes you can get at Cagney’s.

There are also differences on the actual food items as well. For instance the Nacho Deluxe in Rushville uses nacho cheese and in Shelbyville it uses shredded cheese on top of a little bit of Nacho Cheese.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 07:31 AM   #26190
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
calzone is like a hot pocket but stromboli is a straight sandwich on french bread or hoagie type roll

No, no, no. The article gets it right.
Old 12-18-2023, 12:38 PM   #26191
Ksyrup

I just shocked myself so hard when I touched the refrigerator that I yelped, felt it up to my elbow, and for about 30 seconds, my fingertip tingled.

It was so intense I asked my wife if she was interested in a threesome with the fridge. Fortunately, she laughed.
Old 12-18-2023, 03:39 PM   #26192
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Which Pizza King because they are all independently owned and ingredients and menus can vary wildly. For instance, in just a three county area the one in Greenfield only serves pizza, breadsticks and sandwiches. While the one the next county over in Shelbyville is called Cagney’s Pizza King and has both a full bar AND a giant menu. Next county over in Rushville you have what is generally regarded as the best pizza of the bunch(even people from Greenfield will come here for pizza) and while they have a bigger menu than Greenfield they don’t have all the pasta and shrimp dishes you can get at Cagney’s.

There are also differences on the actual food items as well. For instance the Nacho Deluxe in Rushville uses nacho cheese and in Shelbyville it uses shredded cheese on top of a little bit of Nacho Cheese.

There is only one pizza king to me and that'd one that delivers my drink by train. Bluff rd pizza king south indy . But Shelbyville will do in a pinch on the way home from indy. But the people in Shelbyville are total morons. They put a plastic ring in my sandwich and had to remake it but then not a single employee knew how to give me a refund with the register
Old 12-18-2023, 04:00 PM   #26193
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
No, no, no. The article gets it right.

I'm not saying what it SHOULD BE, just what pizza king does... but I'm still not sure. Maybe dubb knows
Old 12-19-2023, 07:59 AM   #26194
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Got an old Dell XPS 8700 at auction for $10 and it runs great. Had 12gb of RAM and I had an old SSD laying around. Got a AMD 570 for $50 to throw in for 1080p gaming. So all in about $60 for a light gaming PC.

Before installing the new GPU I decided to replace the thermal paste on the CPU. Glad I did because it was pretty much all gone. Unfortunately I suck at tasks like that and somehow put the cooler fan plug on the wrong side and it couldn't reach the MB plug. So I took it off and then decided to take out the CPU chip to more thoroughly clean the shit pasting job I did.

Big mistake. Took a herculean effort to get the chip locked. At first boot fans spun for 1/2 second and then restarted. Reseated/repasted the CPU and it kinda looked like a pin might have been bent, bit i couldnt quite tell. Well, got it started up and just get 4 beeps on repeat. Can't get it to post.

The Internet tells me 1 of 4 things:
Either a RAM error, so I tried each stick 1 by one to no avail;
Need to change the CMOS battery, also no help;
MB may be fried, but I can't figure out how I could tell that; or
A bent pin could cause an issue with the memory channels.

So now I'll be spending my weekend trying to unbend some tiny CPU pins in hope of saving this thing. Probably would have been better to just use the thing until it melted itself down instead of trying to repaste it.
Old 12-19-2023, 09:41 PM   #26195
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Ugh, You got to love a pre Xmas layoff at your workplace.

And I feel partially responsible since my boss feels I should be automating most of her work (which I partially have)

I wish the stock market would grow at 20% every year so I could retire right now and not worry about when I'll be next.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 12-19-2023 at 09:41 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 10:26 PM   #26196
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I hate when my phone updates and decides to install new apps that i'll never use.
Old 12-20-2023, 11:28 AM   #26197
molson
General Manager

I hate it when I make a restaurant reservation online and then they leave me a message to call them to confirm.
Old 12-21-2023, 07:05 AM   #26198
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I got a double vax yesterday at around 5 pm, went home and made dinner, and by 6:30 I was sleeping. Hit me like a cement truck.
Old 12-21-2023, 07:07 AM   #26199
stevew
Hall Of Famer

At this point, I just assume any Apple News alert I get will be announcing that Joe Biden has died of some sort of illness.
Old 12-22-2023, 06:37 AM   #26200
miami_fan
Coordinator

Glynn Simmons formally exonerated in Oklahoma after 48 years in prison

Question for the FOFC lawyers about this statement from the prosecutor's office.

Quote:
While Behenna had decided not to pursue a retrial and agreed to dismiss Simmons' murder conviction, she had been reluctant to describe Simmons' case as "exonerated." Her office had objected to Simmons' actual innocence claim, saying that the state could not prove Simmons' guilt "beyond a reasonable doubt" and that an eyewitness would not recant her identification of Simmons in 1975.

"The state had a failure of proof — that’s the only reason for the requested dismissal," Behenna wrote in court filings dated Oct. 18. "This simply is not an 'actual innocence' case where DNA was used to exonerate a person; or a conviction was obtained using ‘forensic’ evidence that was later debunked; or where an eyewitness recanted their identification; or where the actual perpetrator of the crime confessed to the commission of the crime and the details of that confession were later corroborated by independent evidence."

I don't understand the rationale for making this statement so I can only assume there is a legal reason for doing so. TBH, I am trying not to go with THAT reason so I am hoping for a legal reason to consider. So are they saying that they think Mr. Simmons is guilty but they just can't prove it? Is this a statement to further limit the compensation Mr. Simmons might get from the state? Is it a current prosecutor protecting a former prosecutor? Why would they object to the innocence claim?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote