Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > FOFC NCAA Football Online Dynasties
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-21-2009, 07:44 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

EBFL Week 8!!!! Files due Sunday, April 26th!

Week 8 Schedule

#17 Colorado vs Kansas
USF @ #20 Pitt
#10 Texas A&M @ KSU
#15 Oklahoma State @ Iowa State
#1 Arkanas vs #7 Georgia
#6 Kentucky @ Auburn
#24 Rutgers @ Syracuse
#16 UVA @ #9 NC

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Karl, when would you like a rematch? I need to improve on my 1-2 record against humans.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:48 PM   #3
wade moore
lolzcat

Mike - I'm hoping Thursday night might be good for you? That is by far the best time for me.. I'm 100% available from about 6:00-10:30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I have like 20 visitors this weekend. I had a week 1 home game, and then vs A&M, so I haven't had many chances for guys to visit. Better put a beating on Kansas.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:02 PM   #5
wade moore
lolzcat

Yeah.. i'm hurting on the visiting.. actually forced a few guys in early when I wasn't quite ready for them since I knew I had such a long stretch without a home game.. something like week 9 or 10 until i have one.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 04-21-2009, 08:03 PM   #6
Logan
Head Coach

I've always wondered if it could hurt you if you have a ton of recruits coming one weekend...like if the decreased attention per kid could impact their rating of the visit. Guess you'll find out.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:10 PM   #7
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I've always wondered if it could hurt you if you have a ton of recruits coming one weekend...like if the decreased attention per kid could impact their rating of the visit. Guess you'll find out.

I think it might. It's a theory I've had but I didn't wanna wait till week 10 to get half these guys on so I will find out for sure now.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Yeah.. i'm hurting on the visiting.. actually forced a few guys in early when I wasn't quite ready for them since I knew I had such a long stretch without a home game.. something like week 9 or 10 until i have one.

Thursday is the worst day for me. I am judging a chicken wing conest!

Tonight Wed or Fri is good though!
Mike1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:31 PM   #9
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I'm sure it does not make any difference. Other than the fact you have to spread out your pitch time amongst those guys. That also leaves you light on the non-visiting recruits. I don't think there is any programmed logic that reduces your affect of pitches you do make.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:34 PM   #10
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Karl, when would you like a rematch? I need to improve on my 1-2 record against humans.

I can play any time tonight, after 3:30 pacific every day going forward
Old 04-21-2009, 08:38 PM   #11
Ironhead
College Prospect

Quote:

I can attest that the answer to this is no. I have always tried to bunch my recruits in visits on the most important early week I can find on the schedule. I just like getting it all done at once.

I would say in order of importance to have a successful visit:

1) Just win baby. If you lose I think the best grade you can get is a C or C+.
2) Rivalry games. They are the single biggest difference maker in recruiting. You can instantly close a humongous gap in recruiting with a successful visit during a rivalry game. Highly rated visits during rivalry games can result in immediately commitments. It doesn't matter whether the rival is good or not. For example, Baylor is one of A&M's rivals. A rivalry win over Baylor is just as effective as a rivalry win over say, Texas. The bigger margin you beat your rival by the more likely you are to get a high grade. Luckily for me Baylor is usually an early game on the schedule which allows me to get recruits in early.
3) Picking the three best pitches for your school and the recruit's interest in those areas.

I have never tested it during a solo dynasty but my feeling is that wins over ranked teams do not have any different impact than a non-ranked team.

Last edited by Ironhead : 04-21-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:41 PM   #12
Logan
Head Coach

Yeah, #1 is definitely the most important. When I had that fuck up with Oklahoma last year (when I beat them, couldn't upload the result, and subsequently lost the rematch) I got rocked with a bunch of great recruits, including the #1 MLB in the country who ended up with that dickhead in Boulder.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:48 PM   #13
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
I can attest that the answer to this is no. I have always tried to bunch my recruits in visits on the most important early week I can find on the schedule. I just like getting it all done at once.

I would say in order of importance to have a successful visit:

1) Just win baby. If you lose I think the best grade you can get is a C or C+.
2) Rivalry games. They are the single biggest difference maker in recruiting. You can instantly close a humongous gap in recruiting with a successful visit during a rivalry game. Highly rated visits during rivalry games can result in immediately commitments. It doesn't matter whether the rival is good or not. For example, Baylor is one of A&M's rivals. A rivalry win over Baylor is just as effective as a rivalry win over say, Texas. The bigger margin you beat your rival by the more likely you are to get a high grade. Luckily for me Baylor is usually an early game on the schedule which allows me to get recruits in early.
3) Picking the three best pitches for your school and the recruit's interest in those areas.

I have never tested it during a solo dynasty but my feeling is that wins over ranked teams do not have any different impact than a non-ranked team.

I can attest to this. It does not matter if I beat Florida or Vandy, the boost is pretty much the same.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:50 PM   #14
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah, #1 is definitely the most important. When I had that fuck up with Oklahoma last year (when I beat them, couldn't upload the result, and subsequently lost the rematch) I got rocked with a bunch of great recruits, including the #1 MLB in the country who ended up with that dickhead in Boulder.

Good thing I he committed during the year and not in the offseason where I could promise him anything. He is RS'ing right now because I have a ton of MLB depth. Prick better not transfer.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:03 PM   #15
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
I can play any time tonight, after 3:30 pacific every day going forward

How about tomorrow at 4:00 PST. That will be 6:00 CST. That work for you?
Old 04-21-2009, 09:09 PM   #16
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

That works for me!
Old 04-21-2009, 09:47 PM   #17
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Good thing I he committed during the year and not in the offseason where I could promise him anything. He is RS'ing right now because I have a ton of MLB depth. Prick better not transfer.

Yeah. Good thing.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:55 AM   #18
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1409 View Post
Thursday is the worst day for me. I am judging a chicken wing conest!

Tonight Wed or Fri is good though!

Let me figure it out and we'll play either Wed (today) or Friday.

Quote:
Old 04-22-2009, 06:35 AM   #19
wade moore
lolzcat

Mike - how about tonight at 8:00?

Quote:
Old 04-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #20
DeToxRox
Head Coach

BTW Does anyone else really wanna hang out with Mike? He is Mr. Superbowl in February and judging a Wing Contest tomorrow. I love it.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:23 PM   #21
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I am up 66-3 on Kansas with 1:25 to go in the first half. I pulled my starters and the first play I run was an 89 yard TD run up the middle. This is absurd.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:46 PM   #22
DeToxRox
Head Coach

76-3 win. Really boring to play.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:51 PM   #23
cmp
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I am up 66-3 on Kansas with 1:25 to go in the first half. I pulled my starters and the first play I run was an 89 yard TD run up the middle. This is absurd.

I know how you feel. I beat up on Georgia 89-14 or something like that I think. Georgia came in ranked #7. I was up 21-0 just over a minute in. INT for a TD, punt return for a TD and about a 70 yard TD run. Starters came out midway through the 2nd and was up 70-7 at the half. Two backs went over 200 yards again and a 3rd was over 100. Never tried the option before so I started running that in the second half to see if I could run it. Bascially tried just not to score much in the 2nd half.

Tyler Wilson is having an amazing year throwing the ball. He only has about 14 incompletions all season and over 20 touchdowns with no interceptions. His QB rating is over 290 but he's not in the Heisman running because he never gets to pass after we're winning big early.

Last edited by cmp : 04-22-2009 at 02:53 PM.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:00 PM   #24
wade moore
lolzcat

you poor, poor pitiful souls.

Quote:
Old 04-22-2009, 03:45 PM   #25
Kodos
Resident Alien

Sometimes I think we need leagues broken out by relative skill levels. Sometimes I can crush a cupcake, but never a ranked team.

Last edited by Kodos : 04-22-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:11 PM   #26
sabotai
General Manager

Sometimes I can crush a ranked team, but get killed by a cupcake....
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:42 PM   #27
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Sometimes I think we need leagues broken out by relative skill levels. Sometimes I can crush a cupcake, but never a ranked team.

I've said that before elsewhere and I think we should consider it if we have to start over in 10.

I've found my niche in this league and I enjoy it, but I will never, ever be competitive with some of these guys.

Quote:
Old 04-22-2009, 06:58 PM   #28
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Mike - how about tonight at 8:00?

Be on in about 15 minutes. I need to recruit so I should be ready in 20.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:00 PM   #29
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Quote:
BTW Does anyone else really wanna hang out with Mike? He is Mr. Superbowl in February and judging a Wing Contest tomorrow. I love it.

I was telling this to my buddy, thie girl I am dating works at the chamber of commerce and invited me to be the judge, so I will have beer, wings and women. I would rate this as a good day!
Old 04-22-2009, 07:04 PM   #30
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

I agree. I am ok, but at 45 I dont have the stick skills some of these guys do. I pretend I do and get pissed when I lose though!!!!

My favorite time is when my son lets me be the best team in any game, and kicks my ass with the worst. ie UAB vs Fla, England vs Cameroon!!!
Old 04-22-2009, 07:13 PM   #31
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Nice game again Karl. I sense a rivalry developing since I am now 0-2 against your team. USF wins 31-24. Lots of good back and forth action. USF ran pretty easily on my defense and my stud RB was held to 60 yds on the ground and 48 yds receiving. A pick with a little over 2 minutes left by USF guaranteed the win.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:23 PM   #32
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Nice game again Karl. I sense a rivalry developing since I am now 0-2 against your team. USF wins 31-24. Lots of good back and forth action. USF ran pretty easily on my defense and my stud RB was held to 60 yds on the ground and 48 yds receiving. A pick with a little over 2 minutes left by USF guaranteed the win.

Good game, Brian. It was a very fun, topsy-turvy game, and I agree that a rivalry is developing. My running attack definitely had its best game against a human opponent this season.

That running back of yours was a real thorn in the side. It was fun trying to figure out how to stop him. George Smith, the guy that picked off your pass in the 4th quarter, is just a machine, even though his ratings aren't all that great. He seems to do that almost every game at a key juncture.

GG, Brian. Good luck the rest of the season.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:23 PM   #33
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Looks like we'll be down to 3 as Mike, Wade and Sab are playin' now.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:03 PM   #34
wade moore
lolzcat

Hella fun game with mike.

We were going back and forth all game - similar styles.. trying to run it and throw short passes..

Then with me driving for a score late in the 3rd and a WIDE open drag route I hit the A button and my qb inexplicably throws it to the middle of the field. His MLB snags it.

He ends up scoring and I'm now down by multiple scores in the 4th quarter.

So, I have to start trying to go deep a little more.

And boy do I.

I end up with 3 separate VERY long TD passes that were all at least 20 yards in the air or more.

However, mike also manages to score.

I score 21 in the 4th and he scores 18. Final score - UNC 45 UVA 42.

I did come close to getting one of the onsides kicks. Close enough that I think I may know the right strategy, but I'm not sure.

Quote:
Old 04-22-2009, 09:16 PM   #35
Mike1409
High School Varsity

It was a great game and watching the replay, it was a horrible glitch, his WR was wide open.

After recovering the first onside kick I ran the toss play was hoping to get knocked out of bounds or maybe I ran into you to waste a little more time but scored from 38 yards. Then you threw 2 bombs that beat me deep twice in prevent defenses, I guess the poor awareness on my starting SS say not to play prevent any more!!!

Good luck the rest of the season.

Last edited by Mike1409 : 04-22-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:20 PM   #36
sabotai
General Manager

Rutgers gets the 27-24 win over the Orange. It should have never been that close. A few bad INTs by me kept them in the game, including one on the goaline that was a pick-6 for them. My defense came up huge a few times in the redzone, once holding them to a FG when they were on the 1 yard line, and another time forcing them to give up the ball on 4 downs.

I was up 27-10 in the 4th quarter. They score a TD, kick the onside kick. I controled the guy the kick went to and accidently pressed the wrong direction. Oops, they get it. They drive, but can't score a TD until there is only 4 seconds left.

I made so many mistakes in this game offensively. Happy that my defense played big and was able to get out of there with the win.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:48 AM   #37
Ironhead
College Prospect

I'll get my game in tonight.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:59 PM   #38
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I assume we'll be waiting on Slowgan
Old 04-23-2009, 08:59 PM   #39
Ironhead
College Prospect

A&M takes care of K-State by a final of 51-0.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:11 AM   #40
Logan
Head Coach

Naturally.

Patience.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:40 AM   #41
Logan
Head Coach

Thank you for your patience. You may now advance.