Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-13-2017, 11:47 AM   #51
Butter
Coordinator

Figured out where I have seen the 2 leads from Legion before...

The main guy, Dan Stevens, was in this great movie (probably still on Netflix) called THE GUEST. It's a low budget thriller, not really a horror movie, but also definitely scary and delightfully weird.

And Rachel Keller was the chainsmoking teenage girl in Fargo Season 2 with the great long, feathered hair who got marched into the woods by one of the Gerhardt brothers.

Last edited by Butter : 02-13-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:49 AM   #52
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Dan Stevens is also most famous for playing Matthew Crawley in Downton Abbey
Old 02-13-2017, 12:30 PM   #53
Butter
Coordinator

Well, tells you I never watched that I guess.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:14 PM   #54
Butter
Coordinator

So Legion is pretty much amazing through 2 episodes. Even if it goes straight to shit, those 2 episodes were worth it.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:11 AM   #55
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I watched the fifth episode of The Expanse, Season 2 tonight--and man did it deliver. This episode awarded me for staying with it through some of the more generic storylines that have been put out in its first season and a half and shows me there is more in the overlying arc than meets the eye.

To anyone who enjoys intelligently done scifi, I would recommend this series.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-24-2017 at 05:11 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:39 PM   #56
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Got caught up to the end of Season 2 with "Man In The High Castle". Not quite as strong overall as the first season. Some of the stuff with the Trade Minister veered off into the Tony Soprano dream sequences. But the final episode was solid.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:36 PM   #57
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
So Legion is pretty much amazing through 2 episodes. Even if it goes straight to shit, those 2 episodes were worth it.

This was show I came to the thread to see if others were watching. I've never seen a show quite like it before, and I'm hooked.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:02 PM   #58
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It's just as good 5 episodes in. Every one has been fantastic, story wise, visually, audibly. One of the best shows on TV already.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #59
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Legion and The Expanse both make me happy currently.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:50 PM   #60
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
It's just as good 5 episodes in. Every one has been fantastic, story wise, visually, audibly. One of the best shows on TV already.

I think it spends too much time trying to be "trippy" and not enough time on superhero stuff. They had a guy in a ice cube to represent the astral plane and a guy straight out of the 80's in it. I think they try too hard to show Legion's mental illness through his surroundings. (and now he may not even be mentally ill)
Old 03-10-2017, 04:58 PM   #61
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I think it spends too much time trying to be "trippy" and not enough time on superhero stuff. They had a guy in a ice cube to represent the astral plane and a guy straight out of the 80's in it. I think they try too hard to show Legion's mental illness through his surroundings. (and now he may not even be mentally ill)

I don't think it's actually 'about' superhero stuff. It's a show about reality and mental illness that stars a mutant. Though the ice cubed astral plane stuff was super important to the superhero stuff plot - esp in Ep.5.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:00 PM   #62
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post

My Wednesday viewing is totally full with those two and The Magicians right before The Expanse (interestingly enough, I thought The Magicians books are much better than The Expanse books, but the The Expanse show is much better that The Magicians show).
Old 03-10-2017, 05:02 PM   #63
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
I don't think it's actually 'about' superhero stuff. It's a show about reality and mental illness that stars a mutant. Though the ice cubed astral plane stuff was super important to the superhero stuff plot - esp in Ep.5.

maybe I just want it to be about superhero stuff though I was not a fan of his time in the comics either now that I think about it.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:01 AM   #64
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I realize I am probably the only one here trumping for The Expanse, but fuck it, I'll keep doing it. I think it's a show many here would enjoy, especially if you're science fiction fans.

It was another terrific episode this past week. Season 1 (last year) was good. This season has been even better.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:47 AM   #65
Thomkal
Head Coach

I have several episodes taped, but have not watched yet. Just feels like a "whole lot of nothing" happens in each episode, and I'm not fond of the Thomas Jane character.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:07 AM   #66
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Because Sundance Channel isn't one of the better known cable networks, this show has flown under the radar. I mentioned the first season of Hap and Leonard in last year's thread. It got picked up for a second season, and this week will be Week 3. This season's plot is based on the book Mucho Mojo. The first couple of episodes have been pretty strong. It looks like they are finding their feet. And anything with Michael K. Williams is always watchable.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:09 AM   #67
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

I tried the Expanse at first, and just didn't like it much. I agree with the "whole lot of nothing" feel to it. I have heard from enough people that it's really good, so I'll likely go back and try to watch it again some time.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:34 AM   #68
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm a bit surprised at the comments of The Expanse being whole lot of nothing because I feel the books just chew through plot. Granted Season 1 covers like 3/4ths of Leviathan Wakes, but with any show based on a book series, it generally starts slow, building and populating its world and then explodes in constant action (though it's slow down a bit the last few eps - they have a lot of plot to cover of Caliban's War if they are trying to get it all done this season).
Old 03-27-2017, 02:44 PM   #69
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I realize I am probably the only one here trumping for The Expanse, but fuck it, I'll keep doing it. I think it's a show many here would enjoy, especially if you're science fiction fans.

It was another terrific episode this past week. Season 1 (last year) was good. This season has been even better.

No! It's been great. I read the first book before the first season of the show started and really liked it. As much as I enjoyed the first season, this second season has been even better. I've really been enjoying it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:45 PM   #70
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post

Same!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-27-2017, 03:09 PM   #71
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Because Sundance Channel isn't one of the better known cable networks, this show has flown under the radar.

fwiw, Dish Network customers have been beaten over the head with so many promos for this show that it probably borders on being oversaturated at this point.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:18 PM   #72
cartman
Death Herald

Strange. Haven't seen anything promoting it on DirecTV. I wonder if that is due to Dish's Sling TV pushing that they have AMC's channels for cord cutters.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:43 PM   #73
Thomkal
Head Coach

Speak of the devil...

The Expanse — game preview at GAMA Trade Show 2017 - YouTube

Expanse board game coming soon.

Last edited by Thomkal : 03-27-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:50 PM   #74
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I have several episodes taped, but have not watched yet. Just feels like a "whole lot of nothing" happens in each episode, and I'm not fond of the Thomas Jane character.

I actually am on board with you here for much of the first season. It's hard to get a handle on things at times and there is a feeling of not much actually happening in Season One. There is a lot of world building in Season 1, too. And Miller (Jane) is not an easy guy to like. I didn't like him either.

It's when you pull back and look at it across the whole season, you see that actually quite a lot happened. And, FWIW, while I won't tell you I ever actually really much liked Miller even in Season 2, his character pays off pretty big time.

Season 2 has a lot more obvious action and plot movement than Season 1, as well, IMO. I think the show is better for now largely being done with the world building from the first season.

Quote:
I'm a bit surprised at the comments of The Expanse being whole lot of nothing because I feel the books just chew through plot. Granted Season 1 covers like 3/4ths of Leviathan Wakes, but with any show based on a book series, it generally starts slow, building and populating its world and then explodes in constant action (though it's slow down a bit the last few eps - they have a lot of plot to cover of Caliban's War if they are trying to get it all done this season).

I have not read the books, but I have heard they are excellent. When the ultimate ending of Leviathan's Wake happened in Episode 5 of this season, I read up a little on what the show producers plans were, and it seems they abandoned the one season one book concept that GOT originally tried to do. So I don't think they are going to actually complete Calaban's War this season.

One scene from last night's episode which I would love to point out to the intellectually scifi curious types here. They had a terrific scene discussing the Drake Equation which morphed into a concise back and forth about the Fermi Paradox. Many of you will roll your eyes at that, I am sure, and it was largely meaningless in the immediate context of the show (might have meaning down the line), but the inner nerd dork in me was geeked out to watch it.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:42 PM   #75
Scarecrow
College Prospect

I've watched it a couple of times when there wasn't anything else on, but by god I'm not missing Lip Sync Battle this Thursday...

Kate Upton Performs "...Baby One More Time"
Old 04-18-2017, 03:32 PM   #76
Suicane75
Coordinator

I almost broke my monitor from punching it when they cut away for reaction shots. Don't do that. Don't do that.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:26 PM   #77
cartman
Death Herald

I really hate Justin Verlander
Old 04-18-2017, 06:29 PM   #78
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
I've watched it a couple of times when there wasn't anything else on, but by god I'm not missing Lip Sync Battle this Thursday...

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:22 PM   #79
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

About to start season 13 of Deadliest Catch.

I wonder if Sig will be stubborn and go out again after having a major heart attack...
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:28 PM   #80
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post

71.59% of FOFC will consider tuning in for this episode. Suicane is one of those 71.59%.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:30 AM   #81
Suicane75
Coordinator

Ya know how people say they're going to buy a HD Super 3D 4K Ultra Plasma curved 130 inch TV for the Super Bowl? That's what I'm doing for this. This is my Super Bowl. I'm going to get beer, pizza, chips, candy, weed, nachos and sit in front of that TV for 8 hours. But nobody is invited. Because I wont be wearing pants.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:53 PM   #82
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

O'Reilly out at Fox News

I really didn't expect this result. I wonder who the boycotters will go after next because I bet they're feeling pretty emboldened right now.

(Also if this is an inappropriate thread for this subject let me know)
Old 04-19-2017, 02:34 PM   #83
PilotMan
Head Coach

Trump will hire him. No problem. He's a good guy. He's knows Bill. He shouldn't have settled. He didn't do anything wrong.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 04-19-2017 at 02:35 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:07 PM   #84
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
About to start season 13 of Deadliest Catch.

I wonder if Sig will be stubborn and go out again after having a major heart attack...

So not only is Sig going out...he has learned a thing. I have a bad feeling we're going to see another Phil incident happen.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:07 PM   #85
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
O'Reilly out at Fox News

I really didn't expect this result. I wonder who the boycotters will go after next because I bet they're feeling pretty emboldened right now.

(Also if this is an inappropriate thread for this subject let me know)

If there is some other chronic sexually harassing predator dick bag out there, hopefully the boycotters will go after them next! More power to the people! Our biggest weapon is where we spend our dollars these days.

I didn't expect it either, but I am very happy to see this P.O.S. go out in shame and infamy.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:15 PM   #86
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Good, bad, right, wrong, whatever ... there's the official only downhill from here point for FXNC. I don't see anybody who can sustain even half the existing numbers for them in prime.

FXNC, meet the pack. Pack, this is FXNC, who most of you have heard of but haven't really been able to see.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:19 PM   #87
Edward64
Head Coach

Referring only to his show, I liked the Factor. It was the most tolerable Fox news show for me and came closest to 'fair and balanced'.

Sorry to see him go and kudos to Fox for principle (and fear of future lawsuits) vs ratings.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:01 AM   #88
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Referring only to his show, I liked the Factor. It was the most tolerable Fox news show for me and came closest to 'fair and balanced'.

Sorry to see him go and kudos to Fox for principle (and fear of future lawsuits) vs ratings.

The principle? This had been going on for years and with many different women. They only dumped him when sponsors started to drop his show. It's shocking how little in the way of principles the network has. Actually, no, it's not. It's entirely consistent with who they are and who they've always wanted to be.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:24 AM   #89
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
and who they've always wanted to be.

What? The only TV news organization is the U.S. that even comes close to being worth a damn for decades?
Old 04-21-2017, 07:12 AM   #90
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Leftovers Season 3 kicked off last weekend and Bosch is back as well. These have moved up in the past couple of years as two of my top shows.

Since this is the last season of the Leftovers I have a small worry of a Lost like ending. They have done surprisingly well of not making a show whose premise is 5% of the world's population disappeared all at once too "out there". Though Kevin=Jesus could push it there this season. Great show if you haven't watched strong recommend on seasons 1-2.

Last edited by panerd : 04-21-2017 at 07:12 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:04 AM   #91
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
What? The only TV news organization is the U.S. that even comes close to being worth a damn for decades?

lol
Old 04-21-2017, 09:25 AM   #92
Kodos
Resident Alien

The original Fake News.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:49 PM   #93
RainMaker
General Manager

The Leftovers is so good. Turning a running gag on the Perfect Strangers thing into such a powerful scene is what makes this show special. Every little detail including the piano version of that theme song and the name of the episode.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:16 PM   #94
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Really enjoyed Z: The Beginning of Everything. Amazon isn't on par with Netflix yet, but this is a fun, authentic feeling show with Christina Ricci adding another great performance to her always interesting career.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:18 PM   #95
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The Leftovers is so good. Turning a running gag on the Perfect Strangers thing into such a powerful scene is what makes this show special. Every little detail including the piano version of that theme song and the name of the episode.

+1
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:18 PM   #96
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Leftovers Season 3 kicked off last weekend and Bosch is back as well. These have moved up in the past couple of years as two of my top shows.

Since this is the last season of the Leftovers I have a small worry of a Lost like ending. They have done surprisingly well of not making a show whose premise is 5% of the world's population disappeared all at once too "out there". Though Kevin=Jesus could push it there this season. Great show if you haven't watched strong recommend on seasons 1-2.

Still love Lost in every way imaginable lol.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:10 AM   #97
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Billions season 2 final two episodes were outstanding television and how you need to wrap up a season. Lewis and Giamatti are bringing their A games for sure.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:31 AM   #98
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Fargo.

Love the Minsky box and all the other Marvin Minsky references.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:03 PM   #99
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Still love Lost in every way imaginable lol.

I remain a big fan of the show myself. The ending wasn't perfect, but far too many people focus on that and forget just what a remarkable show it was, especially given the era of TV it came out in and the fact that it was a network show.

Lost provided so many brilliant episodes, memorable scenes, and fantastic characters. It didn't end up delivering on all of its promises, but the journey was more than worth it.

The Leftovers is fantastic.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:35 PM   #100
RainMaker
General Manager

Lot of shows cancelled this week. Was kind of surprised to see Last Man Standing on the list but I guess it was expensive and ABC/Disney didn't have a good deal with the studio on it. Figured with how well it does in syndication they'd keep going with it.

Full list is here. Nothing really stands out I guess besides The Knick which is great but wasn't expecting a third season.

TV shows canceled in 2016-17: 48 and counting – TV By The Numbers by zap2it.com