Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-24-2007, 06:15 PM   #901
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
I just got a text message from an Arkansas fan.... It said:

"Memphis got fucked."

Hope it was Verizon to Verizon or else you got ripped off for ten cents.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:15 PM   #902
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I just got a text message from an Arkansas fan.... It said:

"Memphis got fucked."

Well, that certainly decides it.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:16 PM   #903
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Dude, your so full of shit your eyes are brown. How many consecutive trips did OSU shoot free throws? How many illegal picks did OSU throw?

WE FUCKING GOT TO HAVE A TEAM FROM THE BIG FUCKING 10 IN THE FINAL FOUR.

Maybe your girlfriend should calm you down by posting in this thread.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:17 PM   #904
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Doesn't matter if this is their full-time job. They have all been officiating for a number of years. It isn't like they pulled some random people off the street to do the officiating.

That's a bullshit excuse. I love how people love to scrutinize the officials like this...they are human too. You could have 30 years at your job and still make mistakes. Do you realize you are seeing this game from a much better view than the refs on the floor?
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:17 PM   #905
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Remember when A&M fans bitched about getting ripped off of time at the end of the Memphis game?

Maybe you guys can have a support group.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:18 PM   #906
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle View Post
Remember when A&M fans bitched about getting ripped off of time at the end of the Memphis game?

Can we throw in the Vandy fans too
Old 03-24-2007, 06:19 PM   #907
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The most consecutive possessions that OSU went to the free throw line before the hack attack began was TWO.

Find something else to bitch about, GE.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:19 PM   #908
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Fuck you. Maybe you can form a big ten loving group, asshole.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:19 PM   #909
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The most consecutive possessions that OSU went to the free throw line before the hack attack began was TWO.

Find something else to bitch about, GE.

Might want to watch the game again. I have the game DVRed and I will prove you wrong.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:21 PM   #910
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Fuck you. Maybe you can form a big ten loving group, asshole.

Hey come on now, you still have a C-USA title to feel good about.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:22 PM   #911
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I just watched some of the tape. There were eight straight possessions OSU got to shoot free throws. Yea that is real fucking fair.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:22 PM   #912
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Might want to watch the game again. I have the game DVRed and I will prove you wrong.

You should go on a walk and avoid any tree you might pass by.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:22 PM   #913
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
That's a bullshit excuse. I love how people love to scrutinize the officials like this...they are human too. You could have 30 years at your job and still make mistakes. Do you realize you are seeing this game from a much better view than the refs on the floor?

How is this a bullshit excuse? It isn't like we are arguing a call about whether or not a ball grazed the rim for the shot clock to reset. The guy faked a shot to his left, and changed feet to take a hook shot to his right. I saw it when it happened live as I'm sure did much of the crowd. As soon as they went to the studio they were talking about the travel. With time running out, you know the refs were watching the guy with the ball.

I've been defending the refs quite a bit in this thread, but this is one call that they flat blew.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:22 PM   #914
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Hey come on now, you still have a C-USA title to feel good about.

Michigan could not win shit in CUSA.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:23 PM   #915
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
I just watched some of the tape. There were eight straight possessions OSU got to shoot free throws. Yea that is real fucking fair.

So was this at the end of the game with around 4 minutes left when Memphis grabbed OSU every possession so they could shoot FT's?
Old 03-24-2007, 06:23 PM   #916
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:

Here's the link to the PbP from the second half:

hxxp://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/playbyplay?gameId=274000046&period=2

The most consecutive trips to the FT line I see for OSU before the late game hack attack is two, Conley at 11:26 and Oden at 10:40, where Oden missed one of the two.

Yes, starting at the 3:47 mark there was a long procession of trips to the FT line, but those were intentional Memphis fouls to put OSU on the line.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:25 PM   #917
Radii
Head Coach

I'm taking notes here, to make sure I offer the board a proper reaction if Georgetown beats North Carolina tomorrow. I hope for the same from MrBug or SterlingIce as well. We need this kind of reaction after each of the 4 games this weekend!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:26 PM   #918
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
I would love to know how many people bitching about the officiating in this thread have experience as a Division I official in a national championship tournament.

It was a heat of the moment call, and the refs did the right thing letting it play out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adubroff View Post
This is all well and good, most referrees couldn't do my job well. Few, if any of them, could drive a racecar or perform surgery. However, I think an expectation of a high level of accuracy from the top referees in the sport is not that much to ask.

Perfect response to one of my personal pet peeve sports cliches. Just because I don't ref basketball doesn't mean I can't critique it. And I sure as hell don't have to be able to do better than them to comment on their ability when compared to other officials. Similarly, I don't have to be better than Ryan Leaf to know he sucked or that Johan Santana is good, for instance.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-24-2007 at 06:27 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:26 PM   #919
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I'm taking notes here, to make sure I offer the board a proper reaction if Georgetown beats North Carolina tomorrow. I hope for the same from MrBug or SterlingIce as well. We need this kind of reaction after each of the 4 games this weekend!

Make sure to DVR the game and have a friend from a rival school be ready to text message you.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:26 PM   #920
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

GoldenEagle- just get away from the computer for like 20 minutes. It will be ok, I promise. The sun will rise tomorrow, everything will be cool..
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:28 PM   #921
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Not to thread jack but tomorrow would be an excellent time for Calapari to take the Kentucky job.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:30 PM   #922
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:

I have no worries about this, Radii. When it comes to homerism, GE is probably the worst around these parts, even more so than imettrentgreen.

Last edited by cartman : 03-24-2007 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:31 PM   #923
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Not to thread jack but tomorrow would be an excellent time for Calapari to take the Kentucky job.

Dude, your such a fucking dumbass. We all know he does not want the Michigan job. Who the hell would want that job?
Old 03-24-2007, 06:32 PM   #924
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
I have no worries about this, Radii. When it comes to homerism, GE is probably the worst around these parts, even more so than imettrentgreen.

I am glad I am not the only one who realizes this.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:32 PM   #925
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Make sure to DVR the game and have a friend from a rival school be ready to text message you.

Sorry, i don't commiserate with Duke fans. Though i would accept board PMs from Wolfpack, or bsak as a semi-duke but really more of a penn state fan.

Back to the topic of basketball though, I'm disappointed that UNC/Texas never happened, i wanted to see Durant. But now, we're one game away from a UNC/Ohio State rematch, with Oden on the floor this time. That would be a pretty awesome final four matchup. *crosses fingers*
Old 03-24-2007, 06:32 PM   #926
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yeah, but I think when I'm a bad loser, it's more griping and less explosion. A lot less entertaining to outside observers...

That said, I am listening to the local broadcast on the radio while watching on tv after the little debacle that was Thursday's broadcast.

SI

Old 03-24-2007, 06:33 PM   #927
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Dude, your such a fucking dumbass. We all know he does not want the Michigan job. Who the hell would want that job?

LOL

Where did I say he'd take that job?

In fact in another thread I said I would love for Beline to be the next UM coach.

Michigan is trying to run a CLEAN program now.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:33 PM   #928
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Perfect response to one of my personal pet peeve sports cliches. Just because I don't ref basketball doesn't mean I can't critique it. And I sure as hell don't have to be able to do better than them to comment on their ability when compared to other officials. Similarly, I don't have to be better than Ryan Leaf to know he sucked or that Johan Santana is good, for instance.

SI

But the problem is that everyone thinks their team gets screwed if they lose and no matter how much you want to believe it, they don't give a rats ass who wins the game. Sure they are going to miss some calls. If you want a perfect game called then design a robot to do the game. Or better yet have the refs call the game from a booth. When the see a foul they can signal to the official on the court to blow the whistle. That way they get a better view of what is going on.

I've met a few NFL officials and they told me that they don't even know the score of the game most of the time unless it is a blow out. They are concentrating too hard on doing their job to look at the scoreboard.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:33 PM   #929
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Hm... we're getting sloppy...

SI

Old 03-24-2007, 06:33 PM   #930
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

no, no, I'm saying that if Georgetown beats UNC, I need to step it up to his level, this is too entertaining
Old 03-24-2007, 06:34 PM   #931
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah, but I think when I'm a bad loser, it's more griping and less explosion. A lot less entertaining to outside observers...

That said, I am listening to the local broadcast on the radio while watching on tv after the little debacle that was Thursday's broadcast.

SI

It's impossible for Royals fans to be bad losers, much like myself as a Lions fan. We're more apt to being confused winners then anything else.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:35 PM   #932
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Back to the topic of basketball though, I'm disappointed that UNC/Texas never happened, i wanted to see Durant.

Me too. Durant was the only one who seemed ready to play USC last weekend. If only Augustin had shown up, then who knows what might have been. He picked the wrong game to have his worst outing of the season.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:36 PM   #933
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Me too. Durant was the only one who seemed ready to play USC last weekend. If only Augustin had shown up, then who knows what might have been. He picked the wrong game to have his worst outing of the season.

People in Austin don't really expect him back do they?

With all the Oden talk it seems to carry over into Durant but I just can't fathom it. Ya' never know though.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:36 PM   #934
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
But the problem is that everyone thinks their team gets screwed if they lose and no matter how much you want to believe it, they don't give a rats ass who wins the game. Sure they are going to miss some calls. If you want a perfect game called then design a robot to do the game. Or better yet have the refs call the game from a booth. When the see a foul they can signal to the official on the court to blow the whistle. That way they get a better view of what is going on.

However, sometimes fans are *right* about getting hosed. There very much are bad officiating jobs. Certainly, you're going to view your team through more rose colored glasses and when looking at others' critiques, adjust your thoughts accordingly- ie I lack more credibility when talking about the KU game than, say, GE would as he doesn't have a rooting interst in this game.

But, again, to say "the refs are doing ok because they're doing better than you could to" really misses the boat that they also are trained professionals at this and part of the job is public scrutiny.

SI

Old 03-24-2007, 06:37 PM   #935
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
LOL

Where did I say he'd take that job?

In fact in another thread I said I would love for Beline to be the next UM coach.

Michigan is trying to run a CLEAN program now.

Yea you are real cool. Michigan will never ever eb good at basketball. Dumb ass.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:37 PM   #936
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's impossible for Royals fans to be bad losers, much like myself as a Lions fan. We're more apt to being confused winners then anything else.

See: 2003 Royals, Kansas City

SI

Old 03-24-2007, 06:40 PM   #937
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I would like to point out that I feel a certain kinship to Sasha Kaun being a former tall, awkward Computer Science major at KU

Only he's a lot taller than me and better at basketball but we won't go there...

SI

Old 03-24-2007, 06:40 PM   #938
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
However, sometimes fans are *right* about getting hosed. There very much are bad officiating jobs.

I agree. I've said before they are going to miss calls and have bad games just like any player on the court. But they aren't out to screw teams like people think.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:41 PM   #939
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
People in Austin don't really expect him back do they?

Nobody expects him to return, but I don't think it is 100% that he is going pro. He's never been one to do the expected thing. After all, he went to Texas when everyone had him going to Duke or North Carolina. He had mentioned that he admired that Duncan stayed at Wake for 4 years. I'd say it is probably 80/20 between going pro and coming back for another season. He has said that he would like to progress a little more before going pro, but it is hard to pass up $50 million+ when it is staring you in the face.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:41 PM   #940
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Yea you are real cool. Michigan will never ever eb good at basketball. Dumb ass.

1989 begs to differ.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:42 PM   #941
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Doesn't matter if this is their full-time job. They have all been officiating for a number of years. It isn't like they pulled some random people off the street to do the officiating.

Once again, you have so much experience knowing what a referee sees on a floor with a bunch of athletes running around at high speeds and great ability because?
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:42 PM   #942
RedKingGold
College Starter

Is my sarcasm detector broken, or is GE serious?
Old 03-24-2007, 06:42 PM   #943
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Nobody expects him to return, but I don't think it is 100% that he is going pro. He's never been one to do the expected thing. After all, he went to Texas when everyone had him going to Duke or North Carolina. He had mentioned that he admired that Duncan stayed at Wake for 4 years. I'd say it is probably 80/20 between going pro and coming back for another season. He has said that he would like to progress a little more before going pro, but it is hard to pass up $50 million+ when it is staring you in the face.

Yeah very true. I think Durant and Oden both have excellent heads on their shoulders so it's hard to really fault whatever choice they make.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:44 PM   #944
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
But, again, to say "the refs are doing ok because they're doing better than you could to" really misses the boat that they also are trained professionals at this and part of the job is public scrutiny.SI

I think it is you actually missing the boat with that comment. :shrugs:

Last edited by RedKingGold : 03-24-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:44 PM   #945
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Once again, you have so much experience knowing what a referee sees on a floor with a bunch of athletes running around at high speeds and great ability because?

Again, and my point from earlier, is that we don't have to be refs to see inconsistent and bad jobs.

SI

Old 03-24-2007, 06:45 PM   #946
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Is my sarcasm detector broken, or is GE serious?

As sad as it is, he's serious.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:46 PM   #947
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Again, and my point from earlier, is that we don't have to be refs to see inconsistent and bad jobs.

SI

Yes, but everyone makes unbelieveably stupid mistakes in their jobs on a day-to-day basis. Are we holding the referees more accountable simply because their actions are shown on live television?
Old 03-24-2007, 06:47 PM   #948
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I guess we just disagree about this- I don't think you need professional expertise to comment on something.

Yes, we lack the credibility that, say, the NCAA director of officiating would have. But similarly, I would say that I have more credibility than someone who just started watching basketball last year.

SI

Old 03-24-2007, 06:49 PM   #949
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I for one am very much enjoying GE's rant...
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:52 PM   #950
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, but everyone makes unbelieveably stupid mistakes in their jobs on a day-to-day basis. Are we holding the referees more accountable simply because their actions are shown on live television?

Sorry, we've got this "one message off so we're responding to different comments and threads of thought" going on right now

In short, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
But, again, to say "the refs are doing ok because they're doing better than you could to" really misses the boat that they also are trained professionals at this and part of the job is public scrutiny.

Part of getting paid pretty good bucks to officiate is offset by the working conditions and scrutiny. If you don't want to be subjected to scrutiny, go work high school games and get paid a lot less or none at all.

There's also an onus on fans to exercise a base level of courtesy and where that exists isn't a perfectly defined line. Yelling obscenities about the refs kid is a bit over the line. But I think being criticized on a message board they'll never read is ok.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-24-2007 at 06:52 PM.